Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,391 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job (10857 Views)

Hardship In Nigeria: 35k Salary Earners, How Are You Surviving? / 5 Things You Should Consider Doing While Waiting For That Dream Job / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2023
Job hunting is a rite of passage that we all must go through at some point in our lives. Whether you're a fresh graduate or a seasoned professional, the process can be both exciting and nerve-wracking.

As a Nigerian, I know firsthand how challenging it can be to find a job in this country. But fear not! I've compiled some job search tips that are sure to make you laugh, and hopefully, help you land that dream job.

Start by networking

Networking is key when it comes to finding a job in Nigeria. You never know who might know someone who knows someone who is hiring. So, start by reaching out to your friends, family, and acquaintances. But be warned, some people can be very creative with their job suggestions. I once had a distant relative suggest I become a professional crier at funerals because I was "always so good at crying".

Customize your resume and cover letter

When applying for jobs, it's important to tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job you're applying for.
Your resume and cover letter should contain skills that are related to the job you are applying for.

However, some people take this advice to the extreme. I once knew a guy who applied for a job at a tech company and decided to use binary code as his resume. Your guess is as good as what happened.

Dress to impress

When going for an interview, it's important to dress professionally no matter the position you are applying for but don’t dress to kill like my friend who took this advice a little too literally and showed up in a full-on suit of armor. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

Research the company

Before going for an interview, it's important to do your research on the company. During the interview when you chipped in things you already know about the company, it shows you are interested in the company even as an outsider.
But be careful not to take it too far like Danny Boy, who did so much research on the company that he started talking about the CEO's favorite color during the interview. He came off as a stalker, not like someone interested in the company.

Follow up

After an interview, it's important to follow up with the company. Not many people do this. Many a time we would rather choose to wait and accept that the company calls us first. But be careful not to come across as too eager. I once knew a girl who called the company every day for a week after her interview. Needless to say, the secretary has to ban her line from reaching through the office.

Be confident

Confidence is key when it comes to job hunting. Interviewers are looking to employ outspoken, firm yet polite team members. Therefore, during an interview, you should show confidence in the way you interact, maintain eye contact and show confidence even in how you sit and shake hands.
However, don't be like my friend who took this advice to the extreme and started doing push-ups during his interview to show off his strength.

Practice your elevator pitch

When networking or at career fairs, it's important to have a concise elevator pitch to introduce yourself and your skills. Knowing how to introduce yourself and your set of skills can make all the difference to whoever is listening, who knows that might just be your unique selling point.
But be careful not to ramble on like my friend who practiced her pitch in an actual elevator, but didn't realize she was stuck in there with the same person for 10 floors.

Be mindful of your social media presence

Employers nowadays often check the social media profiles of job applicants. So, be sure to clean up any questionable posts or photos. Don't be like someone I once read about who in the past had an/posted an ‘opinion’ which is against what the company stands for or a guy who forgot to take down his high school prom photos, complete with a questionable hairstyle and tuxedo.

Be prepared for unexpected interview questions

Interviewers often ask unexpected questions to assess a candidate's critical thinking and problem-solving skills. But be careful not to answer too honestly like my friend who was asked, "If you were a vegetable, what would you be?" and replied, "A potato, because I'm versatile and can be mashed or fried."

Practice good communication skills

Good communication skills are important in any job, especially during the interview phase. It will be considered a lucrative investment if you invest in your communication skills, especially in formal and corporate settings.
But be careful not to overshare personal details like my friend who went on a long tangent about his digestive issues and how he has a knack for farting in unusual places.

Stay positive

Job hunting can be a long and frustrating process, but it's important to stay positive calm, and self-controlled.
Don't be like a guy in a story told to be my friend who went to an interview in a bad mood and accidentally insulated the interviewers.

Take rejection with grace

Job hunting can be tough, and rejection is a part of the process. Know that the fact that you got called for an interview does not automatically mean employment. The expectation is not always at par with reality. And it doesn’t always mean you are the best candidate.
Take rejection well and remain positive.
But don't be like the guy who stormed out of the interview when he found out the salary was lower than he expected.

In conclusion, job hunting in Nigeria can be serious and stressful but with the right attitude and a good sense of humor, you can make it through. Just remember to network, customize your resume and cover letter, dress professionally, research the company, follow up, be confident, practice your elevator pitch, be mindful of your social media presence, be prepared for unexpected interview questions, practice good communication skills, stay positive and take rejection with grace.
Who knows, maybe one day you'll be able to look back and laugh at all the absurdities of your job search journey.
And if all else fails, just remember that there's always a career in professional mourning.

The article was originally written by

Omidhe Blessing

Writer, Speaker, Career Coach & Branding Expert

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Rubyjade: 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2023
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2023
If not for bad economy, who will have the time to search for job

6 Likes

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by AmGreat1234: 1:34pm On Apr 19, 2023
Searching for job in Nigeria is the most difficult task to embark on. Not everybody would understand this because some people got their own jobs through connection or by buying.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Generalwoodz(m): 1:34pm On Apr 19, 2023
You said "Humourous" but nothing humor in the whole article.

Nonetheless, you may succed when you employe and use effectively the gems found in the article but not in top GOVERNMENT jobs.

Speaking well like the English dic is awesome but one amazing thing is: There's a God father with children whom would serve as overwhelming stumbling block and he's all out to suppress, malign, and frustrate your plans; strategies, and plateau your towering hopes.

When they say its by merit then those with wherewithal buy up the slots with million nairas ...

Since your article got no humor, I may suggest you add something along the lines of:

" Researching who the big dogs are and promptly paying them an August visit in their palaces. Of course with a bottle of their favorite classic wine.

Relay your intentions and I bet you! The edge between you and others vying for the Job would be gulf size in your favor.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by iCauseTrouble: 1:34pm On Apr 19, 2023
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by o123456789(m): 1:36pm On Apr 19, 2023
My candid advice for Nigerian job seekers is to seek for foreign jobs because you can easily get jobs outside Nigeria. One way to speed up the process is to register and participate in "VIRTUAL INTERNSHIP".Just put your efforts and the sky will be your starting point. It is flexible, you can choose length, time and hours of work.
Use these links to start:
1. theinterngroup.com
2. virtualinternships.com
3. theforage.com

Finally Cyber Security skills is currently a blast worldwide, even AI cannot overtake it. Know this and know peace. Hit me up email: ayanbe1992@gmail.com

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by THURAFTERNOON: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2023
Motivational speaker

2 Likes

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by KingLennon(m): 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2023
For job were salary no go pass minimum wage?

Do you know that an average truck driver earns what a medical doctor earns in a month in just 1 week? cheesycheesy....
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Finquas: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2023
For naija here all ds suggestions na trash .. na who get connect de get well placed job
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by iamyemiakins(m): 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2023
I dey find job o.
Soft one abeg grin
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by BigDawsNet: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2023
Hmm

After youth services... don't expect much... if you get a job.. you are very lucky...

2 best option

Starting learning skills.. Digital or hardware
Apply for a less paying job for survival...

You will get frustrated but you are a Nigerians... you will survive...

Las las you will get a better job someday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 19, 2023
Finquas:
For naija here all ds suggestions na trash .. na who get connect de get well placed job

People still get good jobs just because they applied, not because they know someone. Agreed, connection is good just as it is good in all other phases of life

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by sonature1: 1:42pm On Apr 19, 2023
When you visit Indeed or Craigslist and see how US jobs pops up every second on those sites, you will realize that Nigeria is a big joke. We are not ready to fix this country yet.

3 Likes

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 19, 2023
KingLennon:
For job were salary no go pass minimum wage?

Do you know that an average truck driver earns what a medical doctor earns in a month in just 1 week? cheesycheesy....

There is dignity in labour and a chance to grow no matter where you are starting as long as you refused to be comfortable
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by buygala(m): 1:44pm On Apr 19, 2023
Op, please, how is your picture relevant this thread?

Abi you are submitting resume for marriage? grin

7 Likes

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Sammy07: 1:45pm On Apr 19, 2023
grin

Miss/Mrs Poster, how Many jobs have you searched and for how many years did you search for it.
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by KingLennon(m): 1:46pm On Apr 19, 2023
OmidheBlessing:

There is dignity in labour and a chance to grow no matter where you are starting as long as you refused to be comfortable
There are many bills a man has to pay. We take risks in other to survive....
Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2023
All is well

1 Like

Re: Surviving The Nigerian Job Search: A Humorous Guide To Finding Your Dream Job by Sammy07: 1:49pm On Apr 19, 2023
THURAFTERNOON:
Motivational speaker

Motigbetional speaker rather

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Quit My Job To Pursue More Education ? / Must Female Bankers Dress Loosely? / Motivational Quotes In Pictures To Keep You Going

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.