Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime (25325 Views)

Fire Incident At Zenith Bank’s Primary Data Centre Is Causing A Network Downtime / Zenith Bank Commissions Christmas Lighting Decoration In Victoria Island - Pics / Zenith Bank Overtakes First Bank As The Largest Bank In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by nlfpmod: 7:53pm On May 03, 2023
Zenith Bank, Nigeria’s biggest bank by market capitalisation, is experiencing a total infrastructure downtime after a fire at the company’s primary data centre. The downtime affects Zenith Bank’s services, leaving millions of customers in the lurch. At one of the bank’s branches, a security official could be heard telling a customer that the network was down. The security official did not provide further information.

Multiple sources told TechCabal that the downtime began around 7 a.m. this morning. One source confirmed that the incident started after a backup power system caught fire, triggering a power cut to the data centre. According to sources with knowledge of the matter, the bank is now attempting to switch to its disaster recovery infrastructure to get all services up and running. It is standard practice for big organisations to have disaster recovery protocols, but Zenith could not switch to its recovery infrastructure at the time of this report.

One source told TechCabal that the delay in switching to its disaster recovery is connected to the fact that not all banking service were running in an active-active deployment. It means that the services running active-standby now have to be switched manually. The source told TechCabal that, despite the delays, the bank expects to have its infrastructure up and running before the end of the day.

TechCabal sent emails to Zenith Bank’s corporate communications department and didn’t get a response at the time of this report. A member of the communications team who spoke to TechCabal on the phone said that she could neither confirm nor deny the incident. The bank has also not shared any information with customers on social media channels or acknowledged that it is experiencing a downtime.

Today’s incident will bring conversations about moving banking infrastructure to the cloud to the front burner again. While some may argue that it may not wholly solve reliability issues, it could go some way in helping to prevent day-long downtimes when unexpected incidents happen.

Source: https://techcabal.com/2023/05/03/zenith-bank-downtime/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by inoki247: 7:57pm On May 03, 2023
Wahala Bank wwy dere Service no good before still go dey catch fire ..

Say a Prayer for a Zenith bank Customer dey are in on a long ride...

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by lordm(m): 7:57pm On May 03, 2023
Chai

2 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by flexyrule(m): 7:57pm On May 03, 2023
That's some critical asset...

Subscribing to Cloud solutions should reduce the number of physical infrastructure...

12 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by jayworld15(m): 7:58pm On May 03, 2023
Nothing should happen to my 1Kobo o. I'm saving it for a big enterprise because Brother Bernard said I could do it since he did it, becoming the owner of Terrestrial Banking company from his savings of 1Kobo. Zenith Bank, abeg look.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Adeneeyee84: 7:59pm On May 03, 2023
I no say make fire no burn una office as the outrageous charges una dey commot from my account every time dey always pain me but make una no say fire burn the little salary wey just drop into my zenith bank account with una

15 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Antimandatethie(m): 7:59pm On May 03, 2023
Bad Omen Sighted Gues Who

4 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by olatunjithomas(m): 7:59pm On May 03, 2023
No wonder I've been trying to send money to a zenith customer since morning but GTB app kept telling me the account number does not exist.
Account that I remit money to regularly.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Bioboy1213(m): 7:59pm On May 03, 2023
Okay
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Abimbolafavour(f): 7:59pm On May 03, 2023
No wonder , been trying to do some transfer and it wasn't going through

7 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by kokowe(m): 8:00pm On May 03, 2023
This should not disrupt service delivery if they have a business continuity and disaster recovery plan except they don't have one..

4 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Fut9ure: 8:00pm On May 03, 2023
Zenith bank nor first get head

Since last year come reach now

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Oritna94(m): 8:00pm On May 03, 2023
Naija,, which way? System collapse in almost all the infrastructural set up in Nigeria. It's a pity
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Sebastine1994(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
When I remember what our lives was like before the internet, I just smile.

These days everybody dey panick just because of small network. Haba. When banks don't work on Saturday and Sunday, remember?

The world is changing rapidly, in short the future is already here but poverty and difference in income makes it seem like the future is far.

Countries are competing for artificial intelligence dominance and what not, Blockchain is improving daily, no matter how we fight it today, cryptocurrency is the future.

Most of these banks would be outdated soon just the way PayPal almost made visa useless. Only the smartest would survive in this global economy. See what Netflix is doing to DStv. Competition is fierce global, and any company sitting on the fence would be crushed.

People are adopting these online bank rapidly, opay has enjoyed increase in it's customer base because they are adopting fast, if you make transfer with all these Fintech app, you receive alert in 5 sec. That is wonderful 👍

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by damosade(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
Your incident response plan should include third party company to ensures instant continuity of business and zero down time . Sensitive financial institution like zenith Bank should know better. What happened to cloud infrastructure? That is why fintech are taking over soon.

6 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Psady(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
No wonder i neva still see my salary, this bank and bad events .

8 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Tulsaguy: 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
K
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by HarunaWest(m): 8:01pm On May 03, 2023
Today was their AGM na today fire happen. Are you sure this is not a handwork of a disgruntled staff that didn't get a share in the profit?

12 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by mrsage(m): 8:02pm On May 03, 2023
Sad
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Albert0011(m): 8:02pm On May 03, 2023
G
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Maj196(m): 8:03pm On May 03, 2023
Zenith bank kuku kee us

2 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by DrAda(f): 8:03pm On May 03, 2023
Hmmm. Isn't it backed up in the clouds?
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by nedekid: 8:03pm On May 03, 2023
Story.
Nigeria and wahala.
Only in naija will you transfer money, it will not go, bank app will not work, no network and other crap.
Bring a good thing that works in other countries and it must get kleg once our weather hits it. Look at internet, mobile calls. Ghana, cotonue, it works, but cross the border to naija, wahala. undecided
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by propsad3: 8:03pm On May 03, 2023
I don't really get it. I stand to be corrected. Is 21st century banking system not supposed to be 100% cloud based. What is Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS for nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKZncbmI0U
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Femisol(m): 8:04pm On May 03, 2023
G
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Orathird: 8:05pm On May 03, 2023
Even without fire the bank is already down

6 Likes

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by ruffhandu: 8:06pm On May 03, 2023
Zenith pay your IT staff well. This is not the first zenith is having an interruption on IT infrastructure. Some years ago, a coalition of their ICT personnel they sacked or so sued them (i don't know if the case has been determined). Treat your staff well and stop this casualization of personnel. Even if you hire them as contract through proxy agencies, pay them well. Treat Nigerians like humans for God's sake.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by tunjiajayi: 8:06pm On May 03, 2023
Antimandatethie:
Bad Omen Sighted Gues Who

Typical broke ass from the igbo land. Always looking for validation for failure, from not having sense to not being able to nack.

Dey there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Codedtips(m): 8:07pm On May 03, 2023
I see
Re: Fire At Zenith Bank’s Data Centre Causes Network Downtime by Abdulsaddiq: 8:07pm On May 03, 2023
Abeg make wuna send my money to my opay account , I no want story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mini Importers: Dhl/Fedex/ Ups/Ems/Nipost And Nigerian Customs Public Feedback / Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? / Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.