Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? (27939 Views)

Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? / John Godson's Pilgrim Ranch Loses N15m As Goats & Dogs Were Poisoned In Abia / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by OboOlora(f): 3:11pm On May 09, 2023
None!
Rear skulls like your oduduwa people😀

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by bolacode: 3:13pm On May 09, 2023
Goats

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by eneyoduke(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2023
Go for Goats 🐐 but be ready to cut Grass every day for them to eat 😞

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by toluleke(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2023
FarmTech:
Goats and sheep are cheaper. You can even grow the grass yourself if you have land or rent it.
you no be farmer I am 100% sure. You just dey talk from surface

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by goodon(m): 3:16pm On May 09, 2023
Goats are the cheapest but pigs are more profitable

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by harmony75: 3:19pm On May 09, 2023
I like goat and children for business.. My dogs and cats as pet and security. Goat is easy to rear.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Kossyso: 3:19pm On May 09, 2023
It's easy to start a farm. The problem is to sustain it. I have seen so many farms close down in the first five years of getting started. One thing people don't know is that farming is not a get-rich-quick venture and so they are disappointed when the reality dawn on them. Try and get another source of income to depend on and not on your farm after getting started. This and many more are ways to sustain your farm.

10 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Kingxchange44: 3:24pm On May 09, 2023
Ok lemme educate you on this as a Graduate animal science though I won't be talking about dogs cus it's not my field.

Talking about goats and pigs in terms of commercial farming.

In terms of starting capital; pig farming tops cus of it's feeding not buying of weaners nor piglets cus a typical kid cost also.

In terms of profitable; pig farming is far more profitable than goat farming cus they have more litter size than goats if properly cares for but you should also consider good exotic breeds and also marketing.

Also consider housing bcus it's very important. Pigs are best kept intensively

This is all I can say now.

4 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by yemmit90: 3:26pm On May 09, 2023
You have to consider 3 factors;

1. Demand or market.

2. Cost of production

3. Vulnerability to diseases or death.

From the above points, I will pick Goat over others. Goat is very easy to maintain, they hardly fall sick under normal farm management. All you need to have is patient and technical know-how.

Patient: it takes an average farmer 5 years to set up profitable goal farm.

Technical know-how: This is where majority of works are needed. For instance, we all know that males goats grow faster and commanding good price than females(especially rams), so you have to be patient and carefully identify those female that usually give birth to males in your farm. The same way you will be carefully identify the ones that always gives birth to 3 at once. These are the kind of females( and their kids) you will keep in your farm. You can sell off those that failed to meet this criteria.

Dog is also cheap to maintain but demand or market for it is quite low.

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by BJanta: 3:29pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

It costs a lot to train pigs.

Train pigs? At the University or poly ?

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Laple0541(m): 3:32pm On May 09, 2023
Goats are more profitable based on these points:

Their is no restriction on their meat consumption (marketability)

They are a good converter of feedback, you can feed them virtually anything (feed efficiency)

They are rugged (hardly sick).

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by kay29000(m): 3:43pm On May 09, 2023
Goat is cheaper...it's just that goats are stuborn. They'll shit all over the place, and have your neighbors angry at you grin

4 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Willie2015: 3:43pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

I just want to know.

Sheeps..Rams and cows
is the best that fit your needs...
Cheaper and profitable...
Cos their feeds are available everywhere..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by abobote: 3:46pm On May 09, 2023
Pigs are more profitable, but I hate those pigs

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by gozzlin: 3:48pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

It costs a lot to train pigs.

Why do you call it 'train'? Is it that the Yoruba word for raising animals also means train?

The correct English word is 'rear'. Rearing of animals, not training. Training means something else entirely. Know your English.

12 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by MatrixCircle: 3:49pm On May 09, 2023
Rearing of Dogs will be profitable in Calabar and Uyo.
Goats will be profitable every where. Pigs will be profitable in South South and South East.

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by DARLINGTON869(m): 3:51pm On May 09, 2023
The easiest to rear is dog(ekuke or local dogs). Even if you don't have any food to give a dog, just give it free access around the neighborhood, it will definitely fend for itself. But you see pigs ehn.....I won't even advice you to go into it if you are not strong minded and ready to accept the fact that u may lose millions before you start breaking even.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by NSK4U(m): 3:55pm On May 09, 2023
All of them are cool but can anyone tell us about the better option to rear between cattle and goat?

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by BJanta: 3:56pm On May 09, 2023
Goats cheaper to rear than pigs , but prone to theft. Piggery on the surface looks profitable. But if you keep your farm records well and compare the costs of rearing to maturity to proceeds from their sales, you'll discover you've run at a loss. And no matter how much you try or how far you've gone, swine fever would come one day and eat them all for a breakfast. No matter how much you gard against it. It's worse than petty thievery . If pen goats too, consider how much you'd spend feeding them. All animals are gluttons , they do nothing but eat for 24 hours. As I'm now I've two nursing goals. But i gave them to someone to rear for me at at the traditional arrangements for sharing their offspring. Takes the burdens off me. But you can try rabbitry..Rabbits are prolific and live in in cage . This makes them less expensive , safer and more profitable to keep.

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Alamkir: 3:58pm On May 09, 2023
FarmTech:
Goats and sheep are cheaper. You can even grow the grass yourself if you have land or rent it.

Pls what's the name of the seed to grow d grasses and how to grow them

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Rubbiish(m): 4:04pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

To me,
Dog is more expensive!
Goat can eat virtually anything. Grasses and left over food.
Pig can eat almost anything, but they eat too much and birth a lot of babies though.
Na pig excretes be my problem
U need to go really far from residents to site a pig poultry because of the smell of their excretes

3 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by deltateam: 4:04pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:
I don't understand. People rear dogs like an agricultural animal?!?!

For sale towards security. He meant dog husbandry business. Rearing dogs for sale of their puppies.

3 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by MichaelSUK: 4:07pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:

ARE YOU SSURE YOU'RE IN THIS AGE WITH US..

Rearing a dog is not a small man business o,. i mean the essential breeds of Dogs. i have over 7 essential dogs and i can categoritically tell you with my full chest that its profitable as compared with Goat (who only gave birth to 2 MAX) and Pig (who can eat all the food on this planet yet born a single stud or die at any slightest sickness.

ALL Livestock farming has their mortality rate but i can tell you wholeheartedly that Dog breeding has the least but can be very very very very demanding else, you'll loose them like bird suffering from flu.

Here's a simple maths.

1. GOAT

purchase price - 15,000
feeding - 6,000
medication - 3000
Birth 2
Profit before expenses = 2 X 20,000 = 40,000
less expenses 20,000 - 24,000

Annual take home- 16,000

2. DOG
Purchase price - 150,000
Feeding - 340,000
Medications - 25,000
birth - 9puppies
profit before expenses= 9 X 100,000 = 900,000 (assuming you sell each puppies @100,000
less expenses = 515,000- 900,000
take home annual Gain - 385,000.

you can see the estimated figures yourself.

do watin your pocket carry abeg

shalom

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Jefferyhi86(m): 4:07pm On May 09, 2023
Just rear all of them, is better than rearing a Nigerian gal grin
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Cassandraloius: 4:07pm On May 09, 2023
Pigs
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by buttlover(m): 4:12pm On May 09, 2023
Lol consider the output. Dogs can give birth upto 9 puppies. Goat maximum birth at a time is 3

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Acidosis(m): 4:19pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

To me,
Dog is more expensive!
Goat can eat virtually anything. Grasses and left over food.
Pig can eat almost anything, but they eat too much and birth a lot of babies though.

Goats and pigs that eat almost anything won't yield profit.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Jimmythewise: 4:22pm On May 09, 2023
buttlover:
Lol consider the output. Dogs can give birth upto 9 puppies. Goat maximum birth at a time is 3
Dogs give birth 3 times in 2 years. Goats give birth 6 times in 2 years.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Stevenbright(m): 4:24pm On May 09, 2023
Goats

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Profitboss(m): 4:32pm On May 09, 2023
Pigs eat more varieties of food than goats, Pigs are sold in weight. there are ready market for Pigs,

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Gerrard59(m): 4:32pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Yes. In Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Ondo. There is a large dog meat consumer market in those places. If cows which are held in reverence by Indians can be eaten, so too can dogs.

Eat and let's live.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / We Now Buy Plantain In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.