Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,439 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? (28066 Views)

Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? / John Godson's Pilgrim Ranch Loses N15m As Goats & Dogs Were Poisoned In Abia / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by MechanicMike: 4:36pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

I just want to know.

Cat sir!(no offenscce) angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Emdebby2: 4:36pm On May 09, 2023
Let us ask the hearders.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by airsaylongcome: 4:37pm On May 09, 2023
MichaelSUK:

ARE YOU SSURE YOU'RE IN THIS AGE WITH US..

Rearing a dog is not a small man business o,. i mean the essential breeds of Dogs. i have over 7 essential dogs and i can categoritically tell you with my full chest that its profitable as compared with Goat (who only gave birth to 2 MAX) and Pig (who can eat all the food on this planet yet born a single stud or die at any slightest sickness.

ALL Livestock farming has their mortality rate but i can tell you wholeheartedly that Dog breeding has the least but can be very very very very demanding else, you'll loose them like bird suffering from flu.

Here's a simple maths.

1. GOAT

purchase price - 15,000
feeding - 6,000
medication - 3000
Birth 2
Profit before expenses = 2 X 20,000 = 40,000
less expenses 20,000 - 24,000

Annual take home- 16,000

2. DOG
Purchase price - 150,000
Feeding - 340,000
Medications - 25,000
birth - 9puppies
profit before expenses= 9 X 100,000 = 900,000 (assuming you sell each puppies @100,000
less expenses = 515,000- 900,000
take home annual Gain - 385,000.

you can see the estimated figures yourself.

do watin your pocket carry abeg

shalom

Are these estimates for rearing local breeds of both goat and dog? Cos I don't think it's a fair estimate if we are talking local goat and foreign dog breeds. Even within the local goat species, "Hausa goat" is way less expensive than the local short black goat aka West African dwarf goat
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Gerrard59(m): 4:39pm On May 09, 2023
yemmit90:
You have to consider 3 factors;

1. Demand or market.

2. Cost of production

3. Vulnerability to diseases or death.

From the above points, I will pick Goat over others. Goat is very easy to maintain, they hardly fall sick under normal farm management. All you need to have is patient and technical know-how.

Patient: it takes an average farmer 5 years to set up profitable goal farm.

Technical know-how: This is where majority of works are needed. For instance, we all know that males goats grow faster and commanding good price than females(especially rams), so you have to be patient and carefully identify those female that usually give birth to males in your farm. The same way you will be carefully identify the ones that always gives birth to 3 at once. These are the kind of females( and their kids) you will keep in your farm. You can sell off those that failed to meet this criteria.

Dog is also cheap to maintain but demand or market for it is quite low.

Correct. To add, to make money in agribusiness, one needs to utilise the value chain. Based on the thread topic, only pigs' value chain in Nigeria can be harnessed in its entirety. However, for that to happen, one needs a huge market of prosperous people who can purchase your products. The people in mind will be the Chinese. For that reason, better to raise pigs in Ogun and supply the Lagos market.

However, the general Nigerian market is too poor to sustain a well-oiled livestock value chain, except maybe poultry and beef. The alternative will be export, but the infrastructure and associated factors will make ours too expensive when South Africa and Namibia are available. In summary, a developed livestock agribusiness apart from cows and poultry can't be sustained in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Phantom233: 4:53pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

It costs a lot to train pigs.
No be only training they na secondary school you de send dem go abi na university? You raise or rear pigs

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Ransomtheking(m): 4:53pm On May 09, 2023
How bout cow
Cause I gat a Fulani friend who is a herder he said that I could get a calf for 100kplus
Then he told me his own charges for herding.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Lucasinho(m): 4:54pm On May 09, 2023
Kasdat5:
Training a lady is the most expensive & least profitable. Very risky business

Shege shocked

Are you talking from experience? grin

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by LOVEGINO(m): 5:02pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

capital NO

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Eberex(m): 5:02pm On May 09, 2023
Depends on how you want to look at it. How profitability depends on where the profit is going to come from after considering the money you will for their feeds and welfare.

Goats are cheap when it comes to feeds and overall general upkeep but they don't give birth to plenty young ones. Now let us look at Pigs. Their feeds are more expensive and couple with the fact you need to make sure their environment is well taken care to avoid swine flu, but the good side is they can give birth to more than 15 piglets at once and each one can sell for more than 20,000 after weaning. Profit actually comes from selling the piglets and also the adults. They sell the adults per kg depending on their weight.

As at today they sell at 2300/kg for adult pigs

2 Likes

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Krublog(m): 5:06pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:
I don't understand. People rear dogs like an agricultural animal?!?!

Are you serious

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by OKOATA(m): 5:27pm On May 09, 2023
BJanta:
Goats cheaper to rear than pigs , but prone to theft. Piggery on the surface looks profitable. But if you keep your farm records well and compare the costs of rearing to maturity to proceeds from their sales, you'll discover you've run at a loss. And no matter how much you try or how far you've gone, swine fever would come one day and eat them all for a breakfast. No matter how much you gard against it. It's worse than petty thievery . If pen goats too, consider how much you'd spend feeding them. All animals are gluttons , they do nothing but eat for 24 hours. As I'm now I've two nursing goals. But i gave them to someone to rear for me at at the traditional arrangements for sharing their offspring. Takes the burdens off me. But you can try rabbitry..Rabbits are prolific and live in in cage . This makes them less expensive , safer and more profitable to keep.
This rabbit reminds me of where I was staying at ikorodu, my neighbors rear rabbits. All they do is go out in the evening and cut their food along the grasses in the hood. One day some guys came to work in the compound, the following day all the rabbits were stolen. We suspected it was the guys that came to work cos they lived around.
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Killermamba: 5:29pm On May 09, 2023
Pigs

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by blowjohn(m): 5:40pm On May 09, 2023
butpro:
Goats anyday, the number of goats consumer are high compared to pigs.

Pork meat dey sell o. No play o.

Most consumed meat in the world
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by sulakishop(m): 5:42pm On May 09, 2023
Pigs are more profitable, then dogs and goat is the least profitable

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by OgogoroFreak(m): 5:53pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

I just want to know.
Train frog. They are more nutritious.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by izubext007: 5:56pm On May 09, 2023
goat and dog, ur goat will be eating people's corn farm, while the dog will be eating baby shit free of charge

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Exceed15: 6:00pm On May 09, 2023
Goat.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by porthouse7(f): 6:00pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

To me,
Dog is more expensive!
Goat can eat virtually anything. Grasses and left over food.
Pig can eat almost anything, but they eat too much and birth a lot of babies though.
just rob small stew with paper goat go eat am😂😂, and they don't die anyhow

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by porthouse7(f): 6:01pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:
404 na, calabar and ondo people will quarel with u oo

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by mickyeddi(m): 6:12pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

I just want to know.

You can't rear pigs in any neighbourhood because of the smell.
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 6:15pm On May 09, 2023
butpro:
Goats anyday, the number of goats consumer are high compared to pigs.
depends on location

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by RoadMozart(m): 6:22pm On May 09, 2023
I'll go for Bingo any day and any time
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Cromagnon: 6:22pm On May 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:
Den de sell some puppies 300 k

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by micflo28(m): 6:25pm On May 09, 2023
Why not rear guinea pigs. They eat grass, vegetables, corn, millet. They taste like grass cutters hence very delicious. They have low fat and highly demanded. They give birth to lots of babies. Guinea pigs are the new money spinners

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Gud1(m): 6:38pm On May 09, 2023
Rabbit farming is the most cheapest and profitable in all livestock farming.

Try it and thank me later grin grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:41pm On May 09, 2023
Goats the best. Them no dey too get disease, the most rugged and the sweetest. Especially male goats.

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by aestake: 6:43pm On May 09, 2023
Benki003:
For me goats are more much cheaper but pig's are more profitable

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by aestake: 6:44pm On May 09, 2023
Gud1:
Rabbit farming is the most cheapest and profitable in all livestock farming.

Try it and thank me later grin grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by dbestuncle: 6:46pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

But more profitable
Re: Training/rearing Of Goats, Dogs & Pigs, Which Is Cheaper & More Profitable? by Psoul(m): 6:56pm On May 09, 2023
Pengician:

I just want to know.

You fail to talk of one important factor.
Which of them have regular buyers.

Let's assume that market is not a problem. Assuming there are buyers for all of them. Rearing of dogs are more profitable. Adult dog eats once a day.
I just sold 9 out of 11 puppies one of my dogs gave birth to. The least price I sold one is 90k and it's just less than 3 months old puppy. Some were sold at 120k per puppy.
The dog gives birth twice a year.
A bag of dog food can last for over 6months for one dog. If you combines it with other cooked food, a bag can last for 8months.

Besides that, they are also doing security work for me in the house. Before you can sell your ghost or pig, you'll feed them to maturity which is birth stressful and financially intensive.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Female Agriculture N-power Beneficiary Shares Pictures Of Her Products / We Now Buy Plantain In Large Quantity / Farming And Farmland In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.