Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) (62143 Views)

Several People Arrested In The UK For Protesting Against The Monarchy / Thousands Protest In Brazil,as President Joins Protest Against Own Government / People Protest Against Lockdown In Ohio, USA (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by lhordspy: 12:21pm On May 06, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Lxa8UwUnA

Protesters Are Demanding An Elected Head Of State, Say The Royal Family Has No Place In A Modern Constitutional Democracy And Is Staggeringly Expensive To Maintain.

LONDON — Just a mile away from London’s Westminster Abbey where King Charles III is preparing to be crowned, thousands of his subjects protested against the monarchy — and at least seven people were detained by police.

“A significant police operation is underway in central London,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement Saturday. “The individuals have been held on suspicion of breaching the peace.”

Among those reportedly detained was Graham Smith, leader of the anti-monarchy group Republic, during protests at London’s Trafalgar Square. London’s Metropolitan Police would not confirm his detention but images on Twitter showed Smith being led to a police van. Ahead of his detention Smith told The Washington Post in an interview that for many Britons, Queen Elizabeth II “was the monarchy and the monarchy was the queen.” But Charles, he added, “hasn’t inherited any of that” — and his accession to the throne could mark a turning point for the anti-monarchy movement.

“Things are changing already,” Smith said. “People are no longer worried about criticizing, challenging and speaking up about being a republican.”

King Charles has faced many protesters at his public engagements. Hecklers disrupted public events organized for the proclamation of his accession to the throne and last year he had eggs thrown at him not once but twice, in York and in Luton. Polls show king Charles is less popular than this mother or even his sister, Princess Anne, his eldest son, Prince William, or daughter-in-law Catherine, Princess of Wales. His wife Camilla is even less popular — many Britons blame her for breaking up Charles’s previous marriage with the widely beloved Princess Diana, who died in a car crash in Paris in 1997
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/05/06/republic-protests-king-charles-coronation/

SEVERAL ANTI-MONARCHY PROTESTER ARRESTED
Several anti-monarchy protesters have been arrested in central London ahead of the coronation of King Charles III, their group has said, as the Metropolitan Police force faces scrutiny for its approach toward demonstrators at the historic event.

Thousands gathered in central London on Saturday to celebrate the once-in-a-generation event. But it also drew demonstrators, with protesters wearing yellow T-shirts booing and shouting "Not My King" throughout the morning.

Republic, Britain's largest anti-monarchy group, told CNN that police -- without providing any reason -- arrested the organizers of Saturday's anti-monarchy protest.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/05/06/uk/king-charles-anti-monarchy-protest-arrests-ckc-gbr-intl/index.html

Photo credit:
Sebastien Bozon - WPA Pool/Getty Images
Gareth Fuller/Pool via REUTERS
Justin Tallis - WPA Pool/Getty Images
Piroschka van de Wouw -WPA Pool/Gettyimage

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by lhordspy: 12:22pm On May 06, 2023

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by lhordspy: 12:22pm On May 06, 2023
Three factors playing out:

1. The King isnt as popular as the Late queen Elizabeth. The people are not use to the change yet and they dont seem like they want to or going to get use to it anytime soon.

2. The Late Princess Diana death is still playing against everyone in the royal family. The Citizens still looking for scapegoats.
The Queen consort, Camillia is always the victim here.

3. I think the citizens are tired of not being able to elect their leader themselves. They want a president not some fancy kingdom with kings and queens.

They wish to vote their leader themselves. They want to be the decider and for that to happen, they need to scrap the monarchy system entirely.

Not very possible with the way things stand.

294 Likes 24 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 06, 2023
RIP princess Diana.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by dawnomike(m): 12:31pm On May 06, 2023
Their country, their problem...

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Watcharena: 12:42pm On May 06, 2023
US should go and give those people a dose of democracy

144 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by riverbird: 12:44pm On May 06, 2023
Every country get em own wahala.....but how can one family just put every other person under Thier feet just like that, no election not even by selection?.....not only that but also claim ownership of all natural resources of value

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by yinkus6750(m): 12:59pm On May 06, 2023
The Queen lived long enough and made the Royal throne what it is today.
If that's the acceptable tradition, so be it.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by seunny4lif(m): 1:35pm On May 06, 2023
Watcharena:
US should go and give those people a dose of democracy
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
I swear, since Police officers have been arresting any anti-monarchy protesters up and down since yesterday because if this is in Iran or any other country, USA will be preaching freedom of speech and human rights grin grin

216 Likes 16 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by lhordspy: 1:42pm On May 06, 2023
seunny4lif:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
I swear, since Police officers have been arresting any anti-monarchy protesters up and down since yesterday because if this is in Iran or any other country, USA will be preaching freedom of speech and human rights grin grin

CNN, BBC, and other propaganda media would have ran 24hrs non-stop news about how 250 people were killed. They will litter all our front-page with fake photo-op crime scene about how children, pregnant women, and dogs are feeling vulnerable and unsafe

US have been going around the globe trying to push democracy on the countries not practicing them, especially in Africa. You wonder why they are quiet about 'voice suppression happening in UK.

186 Likes 24 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by abbasajao(m): 1:59pm On May 06, 2023
Nigeria's IPOB version

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Ofunaofu: 3:05pm On May 06, 2023
sad
Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by MasterJayJay: 3:05pm On May 06, 2023
Clowns! The British monarchy is just ceremonial. No executive power

Do they even know amount of money that the monarchy brings into uk economy from tourism?

And some Nigerians that have thousands of kings in their villages are supporting the protesters. Hypocritical clowns!

119 Likes 20 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by BlessedOne01: 3:05pm On May 06, 2023
Naysayers and hypocrites everywhere!

These are disgruntled elements who don't value the sacrifice the Queen put on ground to make the country a better society!

If only they were born as Nigerians, they would understand that they are living in "Heaven on Earth"!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by GRACEGLORY: 3:05pm On May 06, 2023
You learn about where you stand from rejection. Nothing is wrong with that.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by tfelicityk(m): 3:06pm On May 06, 2023
Hope Nigerians are learning now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Uyi168: 3:06pm On May 06, 2023
...the era of monarchy is long gone.

5 Likes

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Jack500: 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
UK obidients. grin grin

Senseless mobs

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by MrBachelor: 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
cool

Just as Tinubu is not my president.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Naija4love(m): 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
grin everyone can’t be winners at the same time, one most be losers. Just like how it is in Nigeria now.🤣🤣🤣🤣. I think they also rings this KINGDOM in UK🤭🤭🤭 wait oh no be the UK some won make them help them for mandates stolen be this. Okay my hands no dey this LP uk version

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by AntiWailer: 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
Eediots every where.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Romanoff(f): 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
I don't see the monarchy existing after William sha.

12 Likes

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by 43Ronin: 3:07pm On May 06, 2023
pls scatter everywhere. the monarchy is nothing but exploitative

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Generalkorex(m): 3:08pm On May 06, 2023
We go start to dey see #notmypresident by May 29

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by SatoshiX: 3:08pm On May 06, 2023
The same UK some people are crying and hoping will help them restored their man-dates in Nigeria.
Just dey play. 😂 😂 😂

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by JoeEeL(m): 3:08pm On May 06, 2023
THE BRUTISH

THE ANGLO-SAXON DEMONS THAT HAVE WREAKED AND SCHEMED EVIL ACROSS THE WORLD IN THE NAME OF DOMINION AND COLONIES

SOME DAY, YOUR TIME WILL BE UP.

IT IS YOUR OWN PEOPLE, NOT OUTSIDERS, THAT WILL TEAR YOU DOWN

AND THE KNEES THAT YOU HAVE PINNED ON THE NECKS OF AFRICANS WILL BREAK LOOSE.

IT'S NOT UNA FAULT SHA. NA BLACK MONKEYS IN THIS ZOO NO JUST GET SENSE ANYWAYS.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by Racoon(m): 3:08pm On May 06, 2023
And some Nigerians want a country to accept a man who has been a well known certified criminal all his life as president?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ''NOT MY KING'' - In UK, Thousands Protest Against The Monarchy (Pics) by gloryman91: 3:09pm On May 06, 2023
Obidents over to you, May 29, 2023 is a done deal In Sha Allah.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Biggest Threat Of 9/11-style Attack After Taliban Unveils Hellish Cabinet( Pix) / Woman Shot Dead Inside US National Assembly (Video) / Shooting At TOPS Supermarket In Buffalo, New York - Multiple Deaths Recorded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.