Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Impact Of Social Media On Mental Health And Self-esteem - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Impact Of Social Media On Mental Health And Self-esteem (169 Views)

How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem / I Look Older Than My Age And It Is Really Affecting My Self Esteem / A Review Of Lagos Fully Automatic And Self-Cleaning Public Toilet - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Impact Of Social Media On Mental Health And Self-esteem by Chikwes: 9:50am On May 08, 2023
Social media platforms have become a ubiquitous part of modern life, with billions of people worldwide using them to stay connected with friends and family, share photos and videos, and consume news and entertainment.
While social media has undoubtedly brought many benefits, including increased social connection and access to information, it has also been linked to a range of negative impacts on mental health and self-esteem

In this blog post, we’ll explore the ways in which social media can affect our mental health and self-esteem, and what we can do to mitigate these effects.

The Negative Impact of Social Media on Mental Health
One of the most significant negative impacts of social media on mental health is its link to increased feelings of anxiety, depression, and loneliness. Studies have shown that heavy social media use can lead to a range of negative emotions, including envy, jealousy, and social comparison. This is because social media often presents an idealized version of reality, with users sharing only the most positive aspects of their lives, such as vacations, promotions, and personal achievements.

This constant exposure to other people’s highlight reels can lead to a phenomenon known as “FOMO,” or fear of missing out, which can trigger feelings of anxiety and inadequacy. Additionally, social media can be a breeding ground for cyber bullying and online harassment, which can have severe and long-lasting effects on mental health.

Source:
https://fmgist.com/the-impact-of-social-media-on-mental-health-and-self-esteem/

(1) (Reply)

The Importance Of Regular Dental Checkups / Help With Naltrexone Or Any Other Alternatives. / 7 Types Of Negativity You Should Kill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.