Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging (967 Views)

My Lexus Car Vibrates When I Turn It On / Auto Transmission: Gear Not Engaging In 2003 Toyota Corolla / See How A Regular Chrysler 300 Is Cut And Stretched Into A Luxurious Limousine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by MarianaTrench: 7:44am On May 10, 2023
I drive a Lexus RX 300.

It so happened that the battery started draining overnight for no reason. Eventually the auto electricial discovered that the cause of the problem was the radio and he removed it to fix.

When I eventually drove the car I realised that the speakers, the inner lights and the sun roof have stopped working but the major issue is that after 2 days the vehicle stopped engaging gear.

The car is permanently stuck in neutral "N" now. The gear lever moves but it does not actually engage and the light on the dashboard showing the gear position remains on "N".

Is this problem an electrical fault caused by the work the auto electrician did or is it a mechanical fault?

I have never had this problem before although I changed the front axle about 5 years ago.

Gazzuz, Nurey, Kingreign, TheAdvocate, JJcena, BamBamK, Ikenna351
Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by nurey(m): 7:58am On May 10, 2023
MarianaTrench:
I drive a Lexus RX 300.

It so happened that the battery started draining overnight for no reason. Eventually the auto electricial discovered that the cause of the problem was the radio and he removed it to fix.

When I eventually drove the car I realised that the speakers, the inner lights and the sun roof have stopped working but the major issue is that after 2 days the vehicle stopped engaging gear.

The car is permanently stuck in neutral "N" now. The gear lever moves but it does not actually engage and the light on the dashboard showing the gear position remains on "N".

Is this problem an electrical fault caused by the work the auto electrician did or is it a mechanical fault?

I have never had this problem before although I changed the front axle about 5 years ago.

Scan the car first but your problem stems from electrical issues, whether it was caused by the electrician we can't determine that but you need to scan the gear and try check all wire connections relating to the gear

1 Like

Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by chukel(m): 8:02am On May 10, 2023
MarianaTrench:
I drive a Lexus RX 300.

check the cable that connects the gear lever to the neutral switch. It's most likely cut or disconnected. Or the neutral switch is bad.

5 Likes

Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by kingreign(m): 8:05am On May 10, 2023
MarianaTrench:
I drive a Lexus RX 300.

Check Transmission cable it’s either cut or disconnected.
If that is okay, check PRND (park neutral safety) switch

2 Likes

Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by MarianaTrench: 1:20pm On May 12, 2023
nurey:

Scan the car first but your problem stems from electrical issues, whether it was caused by the electrician we can't determine that but you need to scan the gear and try check all wire connections relating to the gear

chukel:
check the cable that connects the gear lever to the neutral switch. It's most likely cut or disconnected. Or the neutral switch is bad.

kingreign:

Check Transmission cable it’s either cut or disconnected.
If that is okay, check PRND (park neutral safety) switch

The issue has been resolved, it happened because the transmission cable unhooked from the gear lever.

As for the other electrical issues it was because the auto electrician did not properly fix the fuses after he initially removed them.

Thanks a lot for your contributions, it gave me a pointer to the cause of the problem thereby helping me avoid over-billing grin

2 Likes

Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by BamBamK: 8:59am On May 13, 2023
MarianaTrench:
I drive a Lexus RX 300.

Ask your mechanic to check your neutral switch. Although, I doubt his competence because if his game is tight, you won't need to ask for opinions.

Your front axle change done 5 years ago isn't d cause of this problem.

Employ the services of Gazzuzz if you're in Lag, kingreign if you are in Abuja and if you're not in any of the aforementioned locations, please indicate so that you can be advised appropriately.
Re: Gear Of My Lexus Rx 300 Is Not Engaging by BamBamK: 9:05am On May 13, 2023
MarianaTrench:

The issue has been resolved, it happened because the transmission cable unhooked from the gear lever.

As for the other electrical issues it was because the auto electrician did not properly fix the fuses after he initially removed them.

Thanks a lot for your contributions, it gave me a pointer to the cause of the problem thereby helping me avoid over-billing grin

Congratulations.

Da over-billing thingy can pain grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Your Car Colour Says About You / Which Saves Fuel More / The Car That Can Fly(with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.