Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,422 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) (1845 Views)

Tribunal Rules That Winning 25% Of Abuja Votes Isn't Compulsory / Doyin Okupe: The Number Of Votes Atiku May Get In 2019 To Win Buhari / Sorting Of Votes Begins At PDP Convention (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by AntiTerrorist: 1:55pm On May 10, 2023
There are two types of probability - mutually exclusive events and independent events.

In probability theory, two events are mutually exclusive or disjoint if they do not occur at the same time. Turning left or turning right is an example of mutually exclusive event (you can't do both at the same time). Statements involving mutually exclusive events are connected by "or."

However, independent events are those events whose occurrence is not dependent on any other event. This involves two events which have no effect on each other. When two substatements are connected with "and," each of the substatements is independent of another.

Independent events don't influence one another or have any effect on how probable another event is. Other examples of pairs of independent events include: Taking an Uber ride and getting a free meal at your favourite restaurant.

A statement that contains two independent events will have two substatements connected by "and."

What the constitution says:
There are two (2) conditions for determining a winner of a presidential election:

1. A presidential candidate must secure the highest number of votes cast at the election

2. He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT.

Conclusion

Since the second criterion, according to Nigeria constitution, for a presidential candidate to be declared winner is a statement connected by "and," therefore it consists of two independent substatements. A candidate must therefore secure at least 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in 2/3rd of the entire 36 States of Nigeria (that is in 24 states). Also, the candidate must also secure not less than 25% of the votes cast at the FCT.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 2:14pm On May 10, 2023
If, from the federation account, you want to share ₦10 million to all states of the federation. I believe the money would be shared equally to all the states and FCT and not the states sharing ₦10million and FCT getting ₦10million.

11 Likes

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Armaggedon: 3:00pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:
If, from the federation account, you want to share ₦10 million to all states of the federation. I believe the money would be shared equally to all the states and FCT and not the states sharing ₦10million and FCT getting ₦10million.
deceptive analogy. If asked to share 10 millions in such a way that a minimum of 200000 naira will go to each of at least 24 states and the federal capital Territory, can you exclude the FCT?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 3:05pm On May 10, 2023
Armaggedon:
deceptive analogy. If asked to share 10 millions in such a way that a minimum of 200000 naira will go to each of at least 24 states and the federal capital Territory, can you exclude the FCT?

My analogy says share the ₦10million amongst the 36 states and FCT, would you share the money amongst the 36 states and FCT or you would share the ₦10million amongst the 36 states and give ₦10million to FCT

5 Likes

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by OfoIgbo: 3:16pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

But both the Appeal court and the supreme court of Nigeria have ruled and affirmed the meaning of the 25% of the Abuja votes.

Tinubu is done for

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by masseratti: 3:20pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

My analogy says share the ₦10million amongst the 36 states and FCT, would you share the money amongst the 36 states and FCT or you would share the ₦10million amongst the 36 states and give ₦10million to FCT
just leave them alone, after losing the election, they need a straw to latch on the convince their various political fans and admirers that the Supreme Court will support this their 25% fct argument, once the Supreme Court decides, they will say the court has been bought, another propaganda for 2027 will begin, it's that simple.
Have never heard anywhere in the world where such law exists, no where in the world and they know it, am not holding forth for APC but this argument by LP is just too stupid to believe the judges will fall for such technicalities, making the FCT a special place, if tomorrow Ania becomes the FCT that means no hausa of Yoruba will ever be president, because no way will they get 25% there, same goes to if Ekiti is made the FCT.. No show for a northerner, same as if Sokoto is made FCT no show for an Igbo man.

The worst part is that, there are even lawyers, SANs defending this mockery baffles me, it's their time to cash out.. Am not surprised.

11 Likes

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by AntiTerrorist: 3:28pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:
I[b]f, from the federation account, you want to share ₦10 million to all states of the federation[/b]. I believe the money would be shared equally to all the states and FCT and not the states sharing ₦10million and FCT getting ₦10million.
If the bolded is the instruction, FCT will get nothing. Your analogy does not tally.

@masseratti, do you know more than SANs and Professors? How many of them do you have in your family?
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by iSense247: 3:34pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

I would you share the money amongst the 36 states and FCT.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Ddeliverer007(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2023
If this is what Obi is holding onto? Then I’m afraid no case here. Show that the election was rigged. Show that tinubu is a drug dealer..Wetin be this Abuja 25%?? Are Abuja residents special humans?

Focus on the issues. Focus of rigging, focus on perjury, focus on drug deals.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by garfield1: 4:30pm On May 10, 2023
OfoIgbo:

But both the Appeal court and the supreme court of Nigeria have ruled and affirmed the meaning of the 25% of the Abuja votes.

Tinubu is done for

Not true.they have never ruled on it.quote the judgment

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by DesChyko: 4:36pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Like he said, deceptive analogy.

The statement was not the whole but a portion of the whole to at least 2/3rds of a first entity and a second entity.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 4:54pm On May 10, 2023
DesChyko:

The statement was not the whole but a portion of the whole to at least 2/3rds of a first entity and a second entity.

The bone of contention here is, if the law says 36 states and FCT makes up the federation, does that grant FCT special status in the scheme of things.
Now use this to analyze my analogy.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 4:57pm On May 10, 2023
[quote author=AntiTerrorist post=123050747][/quote]

A statement that contains two independent events will have two substatements connected by "and."

1. A presidential candidate must secure the highest number of votes cast at the election

2. He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT.

So now do you consider 1 and 2 single statement
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 5:00pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

The bone of contention here is, if the law says 36 states and FCT makes up the federation, does that grant FCT special status in the scheme of things.

You should ask him if "and" in the statement makes Abuja independent.

This guyz thinks we are stupid.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2023
DesChyko:

Which second entity?
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 5:03pm On May 10, 2023
ItooWorWor:

Which second entity?

That guy is confused, i don't believe he knows the issue on ground.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 5:05pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

That guy is confused, i don't believe he knows the issue on ground.

Second entity means Abuja is not part of Nigeria according to him.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 5:06pm On May 10, 2023
ItooWorWor:

Second entity means Abuja is not part of Nigeria according to him.

🤣🤣🤣 Make i laugh small.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by SenatePresdo(m): 5:12pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Shared Equally?

As all the states have shared Governors and state Assemblies Equally, why is it that FCT doesn't have their own share of having a Governor?

The fact remains that FCT and other States are not of the same value.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Sangoamadioha1: 5:34pm On May 10, 2023
SenatePresdo:

Shared Equally?

As all the states have shared Governors and state Assemblies Equally, why is it that FCT doesn't have their own share of having a Governor?

The fact remains that FCT and other States are not of the same value.

So educate me on how the money will be shared.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by SenatePresdo(m): 6:26pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

So educate me on how the money will be shared.

Did federal govt said they are sharing 10 million to all the states? Until then.

For now, use the ones already at play.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by TYCO77: 6:28pm On May 10, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Sangoamadioha1:

This analogy is totally incorrect. It is just like sharing the fund to all states including the FCT, but this is not what the constitution says. It stipulates that the money be shared to at least to 24 states and FCT, which entails FCT, Abuja must get a share of the fund even if some states do not get a share. If per venture, all the states got share of the cash, FCT, Abuja must as a matter of necessity get her share.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by masseratti: 6:30pm On May 10, 2023
AntiTerrorist:
If the bolded is the instruction, FCT will get nothing. Your analogy does not tally.

@masseratti, do you know more than SANs and Professors? How many of them do you have in your family?
won't even grace you with the knowledge of my own academic status than to tell you what or who is in my family.
If you knowledgeable enough you will know that the SANs lawyers don't care about whatever case you decide to bring to their chambers, Nigerian lawyers are all about the money.. Nothing more nothing else.. They can argue the most ridiculous thing on earth just to get your money.. It's high time the court or NJC do something about bringing frivolous cases to the court you know very well you can't win and just a waste of time.. The penalties should be on the lawyers.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Ofunaofu: 6:30pm On May 10, 2023
Here is the real analogy

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by Ohislee(m): 6:31pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Going by this your analogy, it means FCT has to be included among the states that would get out of the N10million.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by DesChyko: 6:36pm On May 10, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

The law granted FCT a special status in this particular 'scheme'.

The use of and there may or may not not spell out what the drafters intended but the meaning as it stands is clear.

And in legal terms is not or.

1 Like

Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by DesChyko: 6:43pm On May 10, 2023
ItooWorWor:

Which second entity?

I can see you can't distinguish between this and these so I expect it'll be quite a reach to expect you to understand the meaning of entity as a word. 🚶🏾‍♂️
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 7:39pm On May 10, 2023
DesChyko:

I can see you can't distinguish between this and these so I expect it'll be quite a reach to expect you to understand the meaning of entity as a word. 🚶🏾‍♂️

You are confuse.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:43pm On May 10, 2023
AntiTerrorist k-leg dey this matter
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by TheFactMan: 7:43pm On May 10, 2023
The fact$$$$
1. On realizing that Buhari was not going to allow him rig the last presidential election and that the election permutations was not in his favor, Tinubu rushed to the Saudis, IOC and UAE to report Buhari.
2. He Tinubu showed the Saudis and IOC the doctored PO conversation with Oyedepo. He accused po of going to advance Christianity in Nigeria and should never be allowed.
3. He assured the Saudis and IOC of his commitment to advancing Islam in Nigeria starting with his mu mu ticket.
4. The Saudis and IOC summoned Buhari, instructed him to ensure that BAT wins the election at all costs.
5. Buhari that was not supporting BAT changed his mind. First he showed his supporters whom to vote for by publicly displaying his ballot paper.
6. He instructed Yakubu to return BAT at all cost.
7. He Buhari knows that BAT was not the best choice for Nigeria that’s why he has been going around asking for forgiveness. People may not know why.
TheFactMan is aware $$$
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by iSense247: 7:55pm On May 10, 2023
ItooWorWor:

You are confuse.
You are the least intelligent among drug baron surpporters. You worse than even heliues.
Re: 25% Of Votes In FCT: An Independent Event Not Mutually Exclusive (Analysis) by ItooWorWor(m): 7:58pm On May 10, 2023
TheFactMan:
The fact$$$$
1. On realizing that Buhari was not going to allow him rig the last presidential election and that the election permutations was not in his favor, Tinubu rushed to the Saudis, IOC and UAE to report Buhari.
2. He Tinubu showed the Saudis and IOC the doctored PO conversation with Oyedepo. He accused po of going to advance Christianity in Nigeria and should never be allowed.
3. He assured the Saudis and IOC of his commitment to advancing Islam in Nigeria starting with his mu mu ticket.
4. The Saudis and IOC summoned Buhari, instructed him to ensure that BAT wins the election at all costs.
5. Buhari that was not supporting BAT changed his mind. First he showed his supporters whom to vote for by publicly displaying his ballot paper.
6. He instructed Yakubu to return BAT at all cost.
7. He Buhari knows that BAT was not the best choice for Nigeria that’s why he has been going around asking for forgiveness. People may not know why.
TheFactMan is aware $$$
Rant of a mad man grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ribadu: We Inherited A Horrible Economy From Buhari / Breaking News!!! Rivers State Supreme Court Judgement Tonye Cole!!! / Tale Of Two Women: Okonjo-iweala And Patricia Etteh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.