Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,516 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. (73099 Views)

Allen Onyema And Air Peace Should Learn Excellence From The Bull - Reno Omokri / Pictures Of Warri Ughelli Port Harcourt Road After The Flood / From The Streets Of Warri To Finland: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by northbird: 1:20pm On May 15, 2023
Kingcalls:
There was no war in warri... it was greed and non inclusion of outsiders that were helping the city thrive .... same thing can happen to lagos with the way things are going.. u keep on burning the market of the igbos and telling them to leave lagos... same way warrians told foreign investors to leave their land if they don't do what the indigenes wanted...of cos , they had enough and left... that's black man for u, no sense at all... only experts at destroying chances... if Igbos leave lagos , most big companies will move away from lagos cos they are somehow tied to these igbo business

Don't derail from the original context of the discuss. How are big companies tied to a particular tribe.? Anyone that leaves Lagos does that at his/her own detriment. Lagos is the cash cow.
Warri and Niger delta as a whole have youths and community leaders that are always interested only in their selfish gains.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by northbird: 1:34pm On May 15, 2023
In the south south, the concept of discipline, prudent allocation and management of resources is lacking among the youth and community leaders especially in the oil communities.

In 2004,the Niger delta youths, in a town hall meeting with Obasanjo accused the foremost civil engineering company in Nigeria of not employing their youths. This was aired live on NTA.

Obj took the microphone and countered the leader and said their youths were not realistic in their demands, the community youths wanted 10k daily as pay for manual labour as @ then.

In 2004, asking for a payrate of 10k daily for manual labour was outrageous. Not skilled masons or artisans who have honed their skills over the years, just casual labour.

The company in question had no choice but to bring non-indigenes from other states to work for them on the road construction project..
So in the long run,the economic progress of any community still boils down to the culture and moral values entrenched within that group.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by AfahaAbia(m): 1:42pm On May 15, 2023
tomitrace:
War destroys cities:
Every Nigeria City or aspiring city should learn something from the Collapse of Warri as Oil City๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡

Warri was a big industrial hub in the 70's - 90's.

Warri Refinery, NNPC, DSC, Delta Glass, Shell, Chevron, Schlumberger, Dunlop, Agip, Saipem, Halliburton were in full operation back then. Escravos & Forcados were at their peak.

The city thrived. The city was full of zeal and zestful activities. People living outside hardcore Warri called themselves Wafarians because of propinquity to Warri even though they were not Wafarians. To be a Wafarian was to belong to supposedly a unique lifestyle.

Multinational/Local Banks were present Citibank, FBN, ACB, Savannah Bank.

Business activities thrived. Warri port was a beehive of economic activities

Entertainment/Night life was at its peak, Musicians, Live bands at Palmgroove Hotel, Comedians held their sway: Fela, legendary Don Baker, Majek Fashek, Emma Grey, Oritz Wiliki, Rex Lawson were a few of many of the entertainers that made Warri ebullient. Lido, Zina, etc were comparable to their ilks anywhere.

The town was full of life and it thrived.

McDermot road was busy with Maritime activities and contractors. Kingsway Mall offered anything sold in Lagos at that time.

Joma & Mosheshe were big fish distributors across the Niger Delta.

Rubber produced locally, was used to produce plastics and tyres.

The town grew in size and became a conurbation with people coming from all over the country to settle down in Warri for economic activities.

The Airports were super busy, Escravos, Forcados & Warri Airport. The Warri Airport was even relocated to Osubi for expansion.

Warri was revelling in its glory. Warri Port was fully operational and served as an economic booster for the city. It served businesses in Warri, Benin, Asaba & Onitsha. The Port created huge employment opportunities for locals and the state.

Things started to go downhill from the late 90's. The community leaders and youth chairmen began to fight themselves over control/sharing formula for royalties that came from oil & businesses from settlers.

Itsekiri, Urhobo & Ijaw leaders & youths started fighting each other. The bloody fight started around 1999 and lasted for years till 2003/2004.

The community leaders started imposing local taxes called "Deve" on all companies, industries and local businesses, buildings & projects.

Little by little, the companies frustrated, started leaving.

This continued throughout the early 2000's till 2010. The companies kept on leaving, one after the other. The companies layed off their employees. Unemployment rose.

More companies left for PH, Lagos, Akwa Ibom. They layed off more staff. Unemployment increased still.

Today all that is left in Warri, is a shadow of its glorious past.

95% of all the big companies in Warri had either left or closed down.

Most of the young people have left Warri.

The ones left are driving Keke, doing P.O.S, Spa or Boutique, Beer parlour or doing hookup.

There's peace now, but the damage the greedy community leaders did to Warri, still lingers on and is almost irredeemable at this point.

Do not assume that your city can not be destroyed if it toes the same route Warri followed. Warri leaders did not ever believe that Warri will be this economically empty today while they were fighting then. Learn from Warri and protect our economies

Have you asked why big eeconomies like US, China,etc will never allow war in their countries?

We must learn and avoid things that will trigger war in our country no matter how strong we believe we are. Businesses and investors go where there is peace than where there is war.

Follow us on This Is Nigeria

Same thing happened to Portharcourt.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by bukatyne(f): 2:10pm On May 15, 2023
dominique:
My friend from Warri told me told me this much. Up to five different factions will be on the companies' neck demanding for their share of the levies. By the time the companies are heaving a sigh of relief that they have seen the last of them, another set will emerge and make more demands. As the fathers are demanding for money, the sons are stealing equipments belonging to these companies, destroying their sites and demanding for their own. Now all the companies have left their land for them and unemployment is now the order of the day. This is what greed and lack of foresight does to people.

@bold:

The sad history of the black man replicating itself in numerous places.

12 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Kingcalls: 2:18pm On May 15, 2023
northbird:

Don't derail from the original context of the discuss. How are big companies tied to a particular tribe.? Anyone that leaves Lagos does that at his/her own detriment. Lagos is the cash cow.
Warri and Niger delta as a whole have youths and community leaders that are always interested only in their selfish gains.

No city is a cash cow....the good environment for business makes it valuable cash cow... if its not conducive for business...city will crash

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Kingcalls: 2:21pm On May 15, 2023
Ireportlive:

Na problem wey I get with you guys be this..

Tinubu was the Treasurer and CFA of ExxonMobil as at the time of building the Lekki permanent office of ExxonMobil towers.

Mobil rented a building before at Victoria Island before Tinubu as a treasurer got a financing plan for Thier new building in the late 80s

Show us the building let us see... I stay in lekki and there's nothing like that... stop causing confusion

9 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Ezekiel2122(m): 2:23pm On May 15, 2023
True! Though I wasn't there when it all happened. But this case of local tax is still in going on. I stayed in warri for four years and I saw what I've never seen in any major towns. What other people termed development and will be happy about is what warri people will demand money before it can ever take place. I pity people who will move their company to warri with this their community tax problem. That person should jist find enough extra cash before he does that.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Ireportlive: 2:26pm On May 15, 2023
Kingcalls:

Show us the building let us see... I stay in lekki and there's nothing like that... stop causing confusion

There you go

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Kingcalls: 2:42pm On May 15, 2023
Ireportlive:

There you go

That building is the same na...the building in Victoria island that was built in the 80s... that building has been standing there since IBB was head of state ... its certain u don't stay in lagos ... cos u wud hv been seeing this building b4 Tinubu became senator ... and u wud hv known that its in V.i and not lekki

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by id4sho(m): 3:03pm On May 15, 2023
Ireportlive:

There you go

๐Ÿ“ŒMobil Residential House, 1 Lekki - Epe Expy, Victoria Island 106104, Lagos

5 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by OVB123: 3:23pm On May 15, 2023
Ezekiel2122:
True! Though I wasn't there when it all happened. But this case of local tax is still in going on. I stayed in warri for four years and I saw what I've never seen in any major towns. What other people termed development and will be happy about is what warri people will demand money before it can ever take place. I pity people who will move their company to warri with this their community tax problem. That person should jist find enough extra cash before he does that.
You hit the nail on the head. Kudos.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Ireportlive: 3:29pm On May 15, 2023
Kingcalls:

That building is the same na...the building in Victoria island that was built in the 80s... that building has been standing there since IBB was head of state ... its certain u don't stay in lagos ... cos u wud hv been seeing this building b4 Tinubu became senator ... and u wud hv known that its in V.i and not lekki

The building was built in 80s when Tinubu was a treasurer with ExxonMobil he left Mobil to become Senator in 1992

Is that now clear to you

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Johnn74: 3:41pm On May 15, 2023
embarassed
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by securitywatch50: 3:55pm On May 15, 2023
Hmmm, the longest journey starts with the first step
Kingcalls:

Burning markets that tge igbos trade , over taxing those that do business , forcing them to not vote their preferred candidate, telling them to leave lagos and gk back to their states ... if every single igbo man decides to dump lagos and go back their their home towns , lagos will collapse, the price of properties will crash massively , Imagine all banks that belongs to the igbos shuts down and relocate , zenith, uba , fidelity, access and some others , companies like seplat ,coscharis , real estates , laundry services, most electronic shops and spare parts for cars and generators , some I.T firms , just imagine how it will affect lagos IGR ... most choice properties are acquired by the Igbos ... do u know how it will affect the real estate business in lagos, Hospitality business, Hospitals owned by the igbos shuts down ... lagos will gradually turn to ibadan .... SE is the only region that other tribes don't invest in but still trives.... imagine if SE had a port like lagos .... other African countries cine to Alaba and trade fair to buy goods for business, lagos is the one benefiting from this ...but still black man mentality, them talk say mk igno man leave Lagos... Americans never told the Italians to leave America in the 20s 30s 40s when they ran the mafia system cos America were making so much money from their trade, it helped America escape the great depression
lipsrsealed
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by FairlyUSEDpussy: 4:23pm On May 15, 2023
Kingcalls:
There was no war in warri... it was greed and non inclusion of outsiders that were helping the city thrive .... same thing can happen to lagos with the way things are going.. u keep on burning the market of the igbos and telling them to leave lagos... same way warrians told foreign investors to leave their land if they don't do what the indigenes wanted...of cos , they had enough and left... that's black man for u, no sense at all... only experts at destroying chances... if Igbos leave lagos , most big companies will move away from lagos cos they are somehow tied to these igbo business

Story teller!!!!
Really??.....if foreign companies were tied to Ibos like u claimed..........why did they choose southwest rather than southeast...........
Or r ibos tied to southwest too??

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Savechild23: 4:31pm On May 15, 2023
Politics kills
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Angelfrost(m): 4:32pm On May 15, 2023
Warri fell so badly!

Anarchy and war leave generational scars!

4 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Father0fjesus: 4:33pm On May 15, 2023
Jackossky:
There are some businesses that thrive during wartime. Lobbying for one
there will be war if one faction is cheating the other.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by PrinceMajestic: 4:34pm On May 15, 2023
U people will just open stupid threads to insult states that didn't harm you in anyway. In this stupid post of yourself you're obviously insulting my people, and it's pushed to Front page. You won't also post about agberos in Lagos the tiniest n dirtiest state in Nigeria or onitsha in Anambra the dirtiest city on earth as states that collapsed for others to learn lessons from is warri that is globally known that you're posting trash about. It's your life that collapsed not warri. Try get sense

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by OluMaighTee: 4:36pm On May 15, 2023
Laptop powerbank available.

1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Georgejeez: 4:36pm On May 15, 2023
Trust me , if not for Yahoo that's taking thousands of Warri youths indoors , the rate of violence and robbery in Warri for be like Russian invasion .... Them for the rob Police Station for broad day light sef

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by obailala(m): 4:37pm On May 15, 2023
It's actually the people of Warri that destroyed Warri with greed, laziness and excessive lust for the wealth of others. No major city in this world was developed only by the indigenes of the city; it's usually outsiders that develop cities. But when the people of Warri felt it was their right to walk into the business premises of everyone who wasnt an indigene to extort money, that was the beginning of the end of Warri. Respectable people who should have denounced the madness at the early stages chose to either be silent or they justified the madness on the useless excuse that "the youths are angry cos they dont have jobs" - now the extortion has since been extended to even the indigenes and companies have fled.

The 'deve' nonsense also happens in other states and cities across Nigeria, but the state governments somehow wades in to control and regulate the excesses of the louts. But has Delta ever had a serious govt? A major reason warri died is because Delta state has been cursed with the worst set of imbeciles as leaders since 1999; and strangely, the people keep supporting the same kind of individuals as leader.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 4:37pm On May 15, 2023
Ireportlive:
cool

James Ibori vs Bola Ahmed Tinubu

When Econet came to Nigeria, they met with the political class to help them facilitate their operation lisence and Set-up

They met James Ibori who insisted on collecting millions of dollars as bribe

They met Bola Ahmed Tinubu who invested Lagos revenue in their company helping them setup and making profits in billions for Lagos State

When ExxonMobil wanted to build an headquarters, Bola Ahmed Tinubu quickly made available land in Lekki and as the company treasurer he ensured the building was constructed in Lagos

Sometimes it takes strong leadership like that of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Jagaban of Borgu GCFR to control wayward youths and engage them like they did with MC Oluomo and his goons in Lagos

Shut up and stop fooling yourself. Insanity is what makes a person tries to defend a political thief.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Jefferyhi86(m): 4:37pm On May 15, 2023
Warri na I too knw na kill am, I grow up in warri, even wen my dad relocated to Lagos early 2000 I had to stylishly duplicate our house key so as I can always sneak in any time.now warri doesn't fascinate me any more.imagine the state government did silly tins in term of infrastructure there. Abandon projects here n there

10 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by PrinceMajestic: 4:37pm On May 15, 2023
christejames:
Absolutely right, and that's what some so called indegines are doing to settlers in their domain, always telling them to go back to their place. The fortunate thing is that the settlers are heeding to their calls and most are currently moving their investments back home...

Warri finally carry last! ๐Ÿ˜ข
una dey fool una selves. Stupid people
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:37pm On May 15, 2023
When you begin to levy all forms of taxes and bring up strange levies you have declared war on the people

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Waffarianman(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2023
tomitrace:
War destroys cities:
Every Nigeria City or aspiring city should learn something from the Collapse of Warri as Oil City๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡

Warri was a big industrial hub in the 70's - 90's.

Warri Refinery, NNPC, DSC, Delta Glass, Shell, Chevron, Schlumberger, Dunlop, Agip, Saipem, Halliburton were in full operation back then. Escravos & Forcados were at their peak.

The city thrived. The city was full of zeal and zestful activities. People living outside hardcore Warri called themselves Wafarians because of propinquity to Warri even though they were not Wafarians. To be a Wafarian was to belong to supposedly a unique lifestyle.

Multinational/Local Banks were present Citibank, FBN, ACB, Savannah Bank.

Business activities thrived. Warri port was a beehive of economic activities

Entertainment/Night life was at its peak, Musicians, Live bands at Palmgroove Hotel, Comedians held their sway: Fela, legendary Don Baker, Majek Fashek, Emma Grey, Oritz Wiliki, Rex Lawson were a few of many of the entertainers that made Warri ebullient. Lido, Zina, etc were comparable to their ilks anywhere.

The town was full of life and it thrived.

McDermot road was busy with Maritime activities and contractors. Kingsway Mall offered anything sold in Lagos at that time.

Joma & Mosheshe were big fish distributors across the Niger Delta.

Rubber produced locally, was used to produce plastics and tyres.

The town grew in size and became a conurbation with people coming from all over the country to settle down in Warri for economic activities.

The Airports were super busy, Escravos, Forcados & Warri Airport. The Warri Airport was even relocated to Osubi for expansion.

Warri was revelling in its glory. Warri Port was fully operational and served as an economic booster for the city. It served businesses in Warri, Benin, Asaba & Onitsha. The Port created huge employment opportunities for locals and the state.

Things started to go downhill from the late 90's. The community leaders and youth chairmen began to fight themselves over control/sharing formula for royalties that came from oil & businesses from settlers.

Itsekiri, Urhobo & Ijaw leaders & youths started fighting each other. The bloody fight started around 1999 and lasted for years till 2003/2004.

The community leaders started imposing local taxes called "Deve" on all companies, industries and local businesses, buildings & projects.

Little by little, the companies frustrated, started leaving.

This continued throughout the early 2000's till 2010. The companies kept on leaving, one after the other. The companies layed off their employees. Unemployment rose.

More companies left for PH, Lagos, Akwa Ibom. They layed off more staff. Unemployment increased still.

Today all that is left in Warri, is a shadow of its glorious past.

95% of all the big companies in Warri had either left or closed down.

Most of the young people have left Warri.

The ones left are driving Keke, doing P.O.S, Spa or Boutique, Beer parlour or doing hookup.

There's peace now, but the damage the greedy community leaders did to Warri, still lingers on and is almost irredeemable at this point.

Do not assume that your city can not be destroyed if it toes the same route Warri followed. Warri leaders did not ever believe that Warri will be this economically empty today while they were fighting then. Learn from Warri and protect our economies

Have you asked why big eeconomies like US, China,etc will never allow war in their countries?

We must learn and avoid things that will trigger war in our country no matter how strong we believe we are. Businesses and investors go where there is peace than where there is war.

Follow us on This Is Nigeria

It's just too sad that we waffarians don't see the warri as it is before. So so sad my bro

3 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by romunu(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2023
Deve,flat warri reach ground,those days along Effurun/Sapele road, you will small small companies, now na only stores full the road, na wa sha.

10 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by skywalker240(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2023
That "deve" activity was the bane of companies leaving warri and even sapele too

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by PrinceMajestic: 4:39pm On May 15, 2023
obailala:
It's actually the people of Warri that destroyed Warri with greed, laziness and excessive lust for the wealth of others. No major city in this world was developed only by the indigenes of the city; it's usually outsiders that develop cities. But when the people of Warri felt it was their right to walk into the business premises of everyone who wasnt a citizen to extort money, that was the beginning of the end of Warri.

The 'deve' nonsense also happens in other states and cities across Nigeria, but the state governments somehow wades in to control and regulate the excesses. THe reason warri died is because Delta state has been cursed with the worst imbeciles as leaders since 1999, and the trend just continues.
shut up
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by renderme: 4:39pm On May 15, 2023
northbird:
A petrochemical refinery should be located closest to where the raw materials are, but no. Dangote chose Lagos. Same thing for LADOL during Goodluck regime. The reasons are not far fetched.

Dangote bought PH and Kaduna refinery when Obasanjo privatised it. He was abused dt they've sold PH to northerner. Nigerdelta agitations started not much after. He relinquished the deal as yaradua took over.
As a result, when he decided to build a refinery he only considered Ondo and Lagos and avoided the SS. Ondo was demanding money while Lagos begged him to come, and offered incentives.

It's a business decision.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by olisaEze(m): 4:39pm On May 15, 2023
All true, but will the Urhobo man agree?? Theyโ€™re too busy blaming Okowa for all but the heat of the sun to tell themselves the truth. cool

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

A Lagos Bike Rider Uses Dustbin As Dispatch Box To Evade Arrest / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria. / Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.