Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? (19000 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / R-kelly Saga And The Role Of Good Parenting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 1:02pm On May 17, 2023
being:
Let me take u up here again.
Take some time? U think kids have all the time in d world.. b4 u know it they are adults.
Flogging gives them that sense of urgency to change. A small child cannot cope with d pain of flogging so once he smells the cane, he IMMEDIATELY finds a way to control himself against the bad habit you are trying to correct and that SELF CONTROL stays with him.
I see you are under some sort of delusion that your retorts, on the other thread, made some lick of sense, aren't you? undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 1:27pm On May 17, 2023
bepositive11:
Have you ever heard stories about people being killed and having their parts cut out in the West? How many times have you heard of it in Nigeria? What makes people that heartless?

So Nigeria doesn't have cultists, gang members and drug addicts?

Another thing is you can't compare Western kids and African keeps only based on flogging. There is so much more that goes into parenting.

Whether African or Western, kids who are brought up in healthy and non abusive environments are the best behave. You don't need to physically or psychologically abuse a child to make them behave well. There are many non abusive forms of discipline.

Do you know how brutal the Bible was centuries ago? We know a lot more now. We understand child psychology better now. Just like how you say man should not beat woman or woman should not beat man, adults should not beat children. Period.

Nigerian cultist are learners to their western counterparts. Give me statistics of gang related killings in Nigeria and let me present that of America.

Psychology or therapy classes is not a perfect approach. Flogging has worked since the existence of man and it’s result has been outstanding.

The therapy and psychological classes only breeds the worst sets of humans. Countries adopting those wokeness are good examples. Places where basic morals, manners, values and etiquettes are rare.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 1:32pm On May 17, 2023
bepositive11:
The stubborn children I know never changed because their parents beat them. They still did what they wanted to do. They just hid it from their parents.

No amount of flogging can teach a child self control. If you want to teach a child self control, start by controlling yourself.

All you people keep saying flogging is discipline. But the truth is that you are taking out your anger on that poor, helpless, and vulnerable child.

You are talking of those kids they tap at the back. Tell that kids they used horses whip to flog or unexpected resounding slap that makes you pauses for seconds before crying.

No kid will ever want to try such again.

Or those kids they started with when they have already grown wings.

I feel parents who birth at old age also impact kids, they don’t grow with those kids and lose strength in the process of grooming.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by AutoConsult: 2:52pm On May 17, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Some Rich Men still punish their Kids!

Maybe Not by Flogging but by Physical Beating and other Means.🤨

Truth is No Parents intend to Beat his/her Child but sometimes Children do the Unimaginable.
And You as the Parents should BEAT them seriously.😕

My Neighbour's 10 yrs old son once came from School, went to a Barbing Salon owned by YAHOO BOYS
Begged to Play PS4 and gave out N500 to buy Fuel for their Gen.
And Played till 7pm.😒 undecided

When the Mother who is a Pacifist like you Came, U need to See BEATINGS with Hands, Sticks and Wires. 😊🙂

Finally a sensible comment.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by AutoConsult: 2:53pm On May 17, 2023
Samantha124:
The one time a teacher flogged me, he ended up getting suspended.. grin grin grin

And few years back my cousin hit me and she ended up in a police van.. grin grin grin

So I don't think flogging a child solves any problems, it just makes matters worse.. My parents never did flogged me.

One thing about me is that if you lay your hands on me or insult me in the name of instilling discipline, you'll only be bringing the worst out of me... But if you hit me with facts, I will be humbled and listen... I've always been like that.
Winch
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by AutoConsult: 2:56pm On May 17, 2023
Some children need beating at a certain age. It works very well. I recall I used to be a very stubborn child. One day, my mum beat me and almost broke my hand. That was the last time she beat me, cos I changed completely after that. They even noticed in school.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by being(m): 3:21pm On May 17, 2023
AutoConsult:
Some children need beating at a certain age. It works very well. I recall I used to be a very stubborn child. One day, my mum beat me and almost broke my hand. That was the last time she beat me, cos I changed completely after that. They even noticed in school.
@bepositive11
A lot of stubborn children do change cos of beating.
In any case if they don't, take their case to their Creator!

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by udomma1005(m): 3:57pm On May 17, 2023
BRIMBRAM:

He should have flogged her on her head instead. I agree with you. grin
I quite agree with you too 👍
Head is better than yansh, according to martial actor😂😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by udomma1005(m): 3:58pm On May 17, 2023
being:

@bepositive11
A lot of stubborn children do change cos of beating.
In any case if they don't, take their case to their Creator!
OH my my..... To their creator indeed!

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by elonize(m): 4:03pm On May 17, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Despite all the flogging, we are still the most corrupt nation. High rate of internet fraud, hook up.

Flogging never actually worked.

Many parents flogg and gave up. Children revolt and fight back. Children become more dangerous and beast mode is activated.

Alot of children want to stay away from home.

At the end the flogging will at a point be needless. That is when most parent use the real parenting skills of advise and pleading.

You can not flog an 18 year old. He will fight you.

I think real parenting is the ability to use the other forms of effective punishment and reward approach. Because advise is the best.

In school the most notorious are still the most flogged. Did they stop being notorious? No.

The most pampered are more willing to excel academically.

In parenting, the ability to use the carrot and stick approach effectively works to a very large extent.

Children get use to beating and it becomes ineffective.

At a point you would not be able to beat that child. What will you do?

This is Africa where we we teach morals to children and encourage corruption of adults

Spits

In Africa is where a Father teaches his children not to steal while he loots his place of work endlessly

We actually are too lazy in African schools to imbibe theories of parenting and teaching. We prefer the easier route. Using pain and fear.

If many Nigeria teachers were living abroad they will learn patience and respect for children rights.

We most certainly do not respect that in Nigeria.

Many wealthy politicians sent their children to these schools in Nigeria where no one hits their children.

These same children end up the in elite and political class. They very confident and outspoken.

Flogging is for the poor.

who told u flogging is for d poor"dis is statement is very stupid,I shudnt have insulted u but u have just insulted others.
Oga flogging worked well,n d words also...u can't flog only ,u mix it advice n u play with dem also...
Spoil d rod ,spare d child
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by donb06: 4:29pm On May 17, 2023
seanwilliam:

99% of people will read this and pass,
What you said here can never be thought in schools or anywhere. Infact, there’s 80% chances that people won’t understand this even if they experience it.
You must be extremely smart , I mean a super intelligent person to say the bolded
I’ll love to be your friend !.
He might be correct, but i can tell you with fact that most of these woke parents are being psychologically manipulated by there kids. I can tell you from my elder sister's child. a boy of barely nine months will bite the mom while sucking breast and immediately look into the mom's eyes, the mom being my sister will just laugh it off even when in serious pains. He did that two more times, i became very irritated with the whole scenario. luckily my mother was in the scene. he did it the fourth time, my mom angrily stood up, took the boy from her and gave him two light but wonderful flicks on the the lips. he cried loud, my sister felt bad, but that was the last time he bit her while sucking. that singular scene made me think for a very long time. My Mom later told me that discipline of a child starts from 6 months.

have also seen many kids manipulating there parents.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by damoobaba: 6:32pm On May 17, 2023
Geovanni412:

Flogging is ineffective because you cannot flog away reality

A hungry man will do whatever that is necessary to survive

Prisoners can plan for 10 years to escape a prison

What makes people think that flogging is correction is beyond me?

The most effective form of punishment is psychological control

That's why a woman can control a man despite being half his size

All these western system of training children that we now follow is rubbish. If you want to learn proper methods of discipline, the China, North Korea, Russian methods are good enough. FORGET WHAT WESTERN MEDIA is reporting about thise countries. They're living their lives and doing well. If North Korea was poor and suffering as reported by CNN, why did Trump plead to have a meeting with Kim. And even called our own President "LIFELESS". Our own here is follow follow while you cant control those countries.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by MechanicMike: 7:40pm On May 17, 2023
gannod:

😂😂😂 you just proved to me that your parents made mistake of not flogging you. Imagine the nonsense a 'so-called' adult spewed on a platform such as this! Now, if you have any problem with 'spare a rod and spoil a child' take it up with God. It is in the Bible and I align with it. Take your frustration to your parents who failed to train you well..cheers!

Son..the good news Is u sound like. A peterfile on nairaland for abusing children...so Yor idea of raising children is flogging them naaked... corrrrrrrect? U should jail sir(no offenscce) angry
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by gannod(m): 7:50pm On May 17, 2023
MechanicMike:

Son..the good news Is u sound like. A peterfile on nairaland for abusing children...so Yor idea of raising children is flogging them naaked... corrrrrrrect? U should jail sir(no offenscce) angry

I still maintain you should redirect your frustration and idiocy to your unfortunate parents who refused to train you well. Tell them to teach you how to speak in public and how to air your opinion on any topic(s) without recourse to insults. With the nonsense you continue to spew, one can conclude you came from the caves where manners are never preached. Infact, it was because of retards like you that the Op asked the question.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by MechanicMike: 8:52pm On May 17, 2023
gannod:

I still maintain you should redirect your frustration and idiocy to your unfortunate parents who refused to train you well. Tell them to teach you how to speak in public and how to air your opinion on any topic(s) without recourse to insults. With the nonsense you continue to spew, one can conclude you came from the caves where manners are never preached. Infact, it was because of retards like you that the Op asked the question.

so u believef flogging naaaaked children is good punishment BECOZ it's a Nigerian way... corrrrrrrect? U bring shame on Nigeria & peterfile like u should be jail.....have u ever been arrested for child phonograph sir coz u think beating up children are ok..shame on u(no offenscce) angry
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On May 17, 2023
donb06:
■ He might be correct, but i can tell you with fact that most of these woke parents are being psychologically manipulated by there kids. I can tell you from my elder sister's child. a boy of barely nine months will bite the mom while sucking breast and immediately look into the mom's eyes, the mom being my sister will just laugh it off even when in serious pains. He did that two more times, i became very irritated with the whole scenario. luckily my mother was in the scene. he did it the fourth time, my mom angrily stood up, took the boy from her and gave him two light but wonderful flicks on the the lips. he cried loud, my sister felt bad, but that was the last time he bit her while sucking. that singular scene made me think for a very long time. My Mom later told me that discipline of a child starts from 6 months. have also seen many kids manipulating there parents.
What do you think would have happened if, rather than give him the flick on his lips, your sister filled his mouth with drops of maybe dogonyaro water each time he bit her? Do you not think the results would have been the same only less painful? The shock alone would wake up not just his pain receptors but his taste buds and other senses at the same time. undecided

Being against flogging does not mean one resigns entirely to not disciplining kids. Rather, it is acknowledging that there are many less traumatizing and even more effective ways to train a child. undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by efficiencie(m): 10:35pm On May 17, 2023
caandi:
Madam caandi. I meant something else. I didn't mean being violent against your spouse. There are non violent ways to simulate the consequence of an action without exposing people to grievous harm.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by efficiencie(m): 10:56pm On May 17, 2023
bepositive11:

1 Why can't you present the child with the consequences without flogging them? What do you gain from flogging them?

As a child, when you did something wrong, didn't you know that you made a mistake? Did you need your parents to flog you before you knew that you made a mistake?

2 I hated my parents flogging me with passion. 3Till this day I don't understand how you people are okay with a man or woman flogging a child but not okay with a man flogging a woman or a woman flogging a man.

What would you do if someone flogged you today? Won't you call it abuse? Won't you flog them back? It's because children are vulnerable and helpless that's why you people flog them anyhow.

One the point 1, did you read that bold statement and did you think about it deeply before posting it? You expect a child to grasp the magnitude of the consequence of his or her actions by explanation and dialogue abi? Okay you have a child poking a fork in a live socket. So the next thing you do is sit your child, less than 5 years old, and have a heart felt talk about the science of electricity, electrocution and death, right? Can you see how absurd that is? Or your child climbs the cabinet picks a jar of prescription drugs and mimics you by taking a handful of pills and attempts swallows all. Then you call the child calmly, sit him or her down and read out the details on the prescription leaflet, discuss what overdose means and explain the science of painkillers. Really? I don't know about you but I am not going to raise my children in such a manner. I am a parent not a toy.

On your second point, you may be right to hate your parents if they flogged you just to vent their anger and not to simulate consequence. Venting your anger on a defenseless person is wrong in everyway and this is what many conflate with discipline. It is not discipline rather it is turning that child into a sadist or a masochist. So I agree with you on this point. Flogging to me doesn't mean beating up a child until he or she has bruises and wounds all over his or her body. No. To me punishment should be administered like a drug. Over do it and it becomes a lethal overdose but do it guided by reason and at a level of severity that is harmless and you can drive home points faster.

On your third point, a child and an adult are two different stages. The former does not have the capacity to bear consequences but the latter does. If a child, a teenager, takes his father's money and blows it on booze, corporal punishment would set his errant head straight but if a wife takes her husband's hard earned money and gives it to her boyfriend and this comes to the knowledge of the husband the wife can be divorced, arrested and jailed for theft. See the difference?
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On May 17, 2023
LeyeWrites:
Discipline and learning are two different things.
■ When I was a child I had asthma. My dad would tell me son don't go and play football, it triggers your condition. I'll go and play football. Then when I come back I got asthma attack. My parents would be unable to sleep throughout the night. The next couple of times I did, my dad start flogging me and it helped.
■ When I was a student in secondary school, we were flogged for many things. Late coming: that taught me punctuality. Noise making: that taught me I'm partly responsible for the efficiency of any team I'm in. Assignments: that I should meet deadlines on whatever tasks I'm given. Would you had rather students don't do assignments? And teachers rather talk to them on it?
■ Have you been to northern Nigeria schools?
■ Look, the benefit of discipline through flogging outweighs whatever medical junks you've been fed by the West. As far as I'm concerned, I'll discipline my kids the way I was disciplined to make me a better person. You can treat yours the ways you want.
■ But you folks should stop trying to impose your views on a longstanding culture of parenting that have stood the test of times. Of course, you lots want Nigeria to have young adults like those in West who are now homosexuals and gun shooters.
1. Actually, they are quite similar with one being more effective than the other, and guess which one it is? Yep, learning! When a child learns a lesson, he is more likely to retain that lesson learned than when you attempt to inflict pain in an attempt to discipline the same child. undecided

2. But kids these days with asthma are able to play outside and not because they are drugged up but because by testing things for themselves, many have learned ways to cope with the condition without letting them deprive them of the need to live. So are your parents correct in imposing their fears on you in such a manner or shouldn't they have instead helped you learn how you could still play while avoiding the potential asthma triggers out there? We have a kid here who struggles with asthma. He is almost not on medication but he is not barred from playing outside. Though 7, he has at least learned to identify many of his symptoms and know when to run to an adult as soon as they come on. No flogging is necessary! undecided

3. I schooled in Nigeria too and guess what? I did assignments only to avoid being whooped. But guess what? When I got to college, it dawned on me that I didn't actually learn anything — no discipline— at all. I simply did many of what I did because of the threat of punishment. Without that threat in the way, I had no real motivation to do the same things — going to class early, doing assignments, focusing in class, etc. I was a mess. undecided

4. Yes, part of my schooling was done close to the North. undecided

5. The benefits are all in your minds— abstract ideas from the stories you have yourselves have been fed of how flogging does wonders —, a sort of brainwashing and nothing more. undecided

6. Homosexuality and murder are not ideas unique to the West. Can you folks please stop dragging these up whenever. As for homosexuality, as far back as middle school, I knew of and lived in a boarding school with many gays and lesbians all around, and I am talking about the 1990s Nigeria here. Do you think they all grew up and disappeared from the planet? Many of them are out there masquerading as husbands and wives, some probably living a double life to this day. Just because you choose to have a thing hidden does not mean it doesn't exist. undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by bepositive11: 2:34am On May 18, 2023
Tell me how many stories you have heard about Americans kidnapping their fellow people and cutting of their body parts.

Nigerians also learned that from the West abi?

Staphylococcus:

Nigerian cultist are learners to their western counterparts. Give me statistics of gang related killings in Nigeria and let me present that of America.

Psychology or therapy classes is not a perfect approach. Flogging has worked since the existence of man and it’s result has been outstanding.

The therapy and psychological classes only breeds the worst sets of humans. Countries adopting those wokeness are good examples. Places where basic morals, manners, values and etiquettes are rare.

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by bepositive11: 2:35am On May 18, 2023
At the end of the day, parents are taking out their anger on their kids in the name of flogging.

Just say that you're angry so you're beating your child. Stop claiming false discipline.

efficiencie:

One the point 1, did you read that bold statement and did you think about it deeply before posting it? You expect a child to grasp the magnitude of the consequence of his or her actions by explanation and dialogue abi? Okay you have a child poking a fork in a live socket. So the next thing you do is sit your child, less than 5 years old, and have a heart felt talk about the science of electricity, electrocution and death, right? Can you see how absurd that is? Or your child climbs the cabinet picks a jar of prescription drugs and mimics you by taking a handful of pills and attempts swallows all. Then you call the child calmly, sit him or her down and read out the details on the prescription leaflet, discuss what overdose means and explain the science of painkillers. Really? I don't know about you but I am not going to raise my children in such a manner. I am a parent not a toy.

On your second point, you may be right to hate your parents if they flogged you just to vent their anger and not to simulate consequence. Venting your anger on a defenseless person is wrong in everyway and this is what many conflate with discipline. It is not discipline rather it is turning that child into a sadist or a masochist. So I agree with you on this point. Flogging to me doesn't mean beating up a child until he or she has bruises and wounds all over his or her body. No. To me punishment should be administered like a drug. Over do it and it becomes a lethal overdose but do it guided by reason and at a level of severity that is harmless and you can drive home points faster.

On your third point, a child and an adult are two different stages. The former does not have the capacity to bear consequences but the latter does. If a child, a teenager, takes his father's money and blows it on booze, corporal punishment would set his errant head straight but if a wife takes her husband's hard earned money and gives it to her boyfriend and this comes to the knowledge of the husband the wife can be divorced, arrested and jailed for theft. See the difference?
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 2:47am On May 18, 2023
bepositive11:
Tell me how many stories you have heard about Americans kidnapping their fellow people and cutting of their body parts.

Nigerians also learned that from the West abi?

What’s the difference between someone who cuts body part, and someone who sinks 24 bullets into a fellow human? They are both criminals and will face same judgement.

Find the body of KTS Dre or Shootashellz, if you can still find it online, and tell me how murderers are different from someone who harvested body parts.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by gannod(m): 8:00am On May 18, 2023
MechanicMike:

so u believef flogging naaaaked children is good punishment BECOZ it's a Nigerian way... corrrrrrrect? U bring shame on Nigeria & peterfile like u should be jail.....have u ever been arrested for child phonograph sir coz u think beating up children are ok..shame on u(no offenscce) angry

I still maintain you need to go back to your unfortunate parents who gave birth to a simpleton like you, let them teach you how to talk or comment on sundry issues. If they had used the rod on you from the beginning, you would have been civil enough in public. I understand they are as dumb as you are because it takes a dumb people to give birth to a retard.
According to you, it is a Nigerian thing to use the rod on kids but that is traditional African thing( I stand to be corrected) since you are dumb to know it is a corrective measure, you can continue to wallow in your ignorance.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by wehdone(m): 8:21am On May 18, 2023
Samantha124:
Funny enough, as a child I was also cautioned against watching movies consisting of a parental guidance of 16VSN... Up until this day, I check the movie's parental guidance first before I could watch it because I still like sticking to movies consisting of a parental guidance of 13VL or ALL... Maybe that's why I still watch cartoons.. grin grin grin

The only movies that I remember watching that surpassed 13VL is Doctor Strange in the multiverse of madness because apart from Venom, I love marvel movies, but I later regretted it because it consisted of horror and I don't watch horror... grin grin grin

And another one is Power series because I love African American gangster movies. Apart other things, I found it interesting.. I had to read what was it about before watching it... But with most movies, immediately I see 16 or 18 as part of the parental guidance, I move.. grin grin grin

And before I could also leave home for the University for the first time, my entire family members sat me down and told about the importance of the 7 B's( Books Before Boys Because Boys Bring Babies)... You may not believe this but I stayed single throughout my University days until I did my finals, I only got into a relationship during the later stage of my final year and it was with the same guy my parents separated me from when they took me away to a university that was far from home, we're now engaged.

I could've decided to fight them because I wanted to go to the university that was close to home, but I didn't because I knew they were only trying to do what was best for me... They only allowed me to do a transfer to the one close to home on the same final year.

And my mother is not the religious type, but she told me to look for a church I can go to when I get to the university, which I did and it kept me disciplined because even though I had friends who partied, had multiple boyfriends, and drank alcohol, I didn't do any of those things because I remembered that I made a promise to my family.

And my parents didn't have to shout at me, flog me, or threatened me in order for me to listen... All they did is adviced me.

There are a lot of other things they taught me without raising their hands.

It would interest you to know that if they had just "talked" to me back then, I would have forgotten about all they said. I would have smoked hemp!

I went to a boarding school, and my room mates, friends, bunk mate we're all smokers!!! Nothing would have stopped me from having a taste of it. Well... I never did! I never even collected the blunt! I enjoy the smell of hemp when someone else is smoking it, but I have never tasted it! I still remember mom's beatings even till today (I have 3 kids)!

I can afford to buy as much as my brain can carry and more, but I've never ever bought even the smallest one, I know where it's sold, but don't know who sells.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a very adventurous type, and a wild being. I am very sure if I wasn't beaten when they saw me with the cigarette, nothing would have stopped me! Now, I wish they did same to me about some other vices like having too many female friends. Jeezzz...I had upto 10 girl friends at some point, and we were all good! I wished they flogged me to "don't do that", maybe I would be a good boy with fewer body counts😭😭😭. I was adviced to use protection instead. Now, I wish I knew only my wife
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by wehdone(m): 8:41am On May 18, 2023
Staphylococcus:

Some people on the thread would say, your mum should have talked to you about the butt.

Beating will crest some things in your head that, you will never forget. I do many things now involuntarily and it’s all because of how I was raised. There are lines I have been programmed as a kid to never cross.

We got a call from school, my boy went under the desk and was peeping at girls' underpants. We spoke to him, adviced him, but didn't flog him. He stopped. But 3months later, he repeated same. This time, I flogged him very well... It's 6months already or so, and no such reports again.

Those that don't want to flog their kids to correct them for serious offences should know that the child would blame them tomorrow when they turn out bad.

There are offences that can be settled by conversations, advices and talks. Some can be corrected by grounding, taking away certain rights (like no TV for 2 weeks), limiting food (like... No lunch for you for 3 days; just breakfast and dinner, etc), limiting play times, etc. But there are some offences that really need the kid to be flogged and flogged very good. Else, that child would be damaged for life!!!

A former neighbour had a son (for another man) before her marriage. She had a daughter for her husband (her 2nd child for her husband). One day, she saw the older boy (9 years or so) playing with the little girl's privates. Well... The mother did not tell her husband (the girl's father), and she did not advice the boy. She did not wait to even tell his uncle whom she usually reports him to... She flogged him till he peed his trousers. If you don't flog such demons out of the kids, they'll become a menace to the society. Damaged for life.

From the Bible:
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them. (Proverbs 13:24)

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by MechanicMike: 8:53am On May 18, 2023
gannod:

I still maintain you need to go back to your unfortunate parents who gave birth to a simpleton like you, let them teach you how to talk or comment on sundry issues. If they had used the rod on you from the beginning, you would have been civil enough in public. I understand they are as dumb as you are because it takes a dumb people to give birth to a retard.
According to you, it is a Nigerian thing to use the rod on kids but that is traditional African thing( I stand to be corrected) since you are dumb to know it is a corrective measure, you can continue to wallow in your ignorance.

too late to apologice...YOu are a peterfile.... shame on you!!(no offenscce) angry

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by donb06: 9:44am On May 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What do you think would have happened if, rather than give him the flick on his lips, your sister filled his mouth with drops of maybe dogonyaro water each time he bit her? Do you not think the results would have been the same only less painful? The shock alone would wake up not just his pain receptors but his taste buds and other senses at the same time. undecided

Being against flogging does not mean one resigns entirely to not disciplining kids. Rather, it is acknowledging that there are many less traumatizing and even more effective ways to train a child. undecided
You don't give children any kind of herbs Without proper prescription. You never can tell the reaction to his body chemistry. Don't get me wrong, some parents or guardians are literally wicked. But some form of light corporal punishment is needed to straighten up any child. Parents should study there children and apply the necessary discipline. In my family of five kids I was flogged the most. My mom studied all her children related to them accordingly. My sisters were rarely flogged because they preferred this talking kind of thing. My two brothers were also very mild. But you see me grin ... Talk no dey enter my head at all. My mom noticed it and dealt the hell out of me. She always said
of all her children, I was the one that took after her. She was this ginger person. Study kids and relate with them accordingly. Don't be rigid with the process. Be fluid and dynamic.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 10:20am On May 18, 2023
donb06:
■ You don't give children any kind of herbs Without proper prescription. You never can tell the reaction to his body chemistry. Don't get me wrong, some parents or guardians are literally wicked.
■ But some form of light corporal punishment is needed to straighten up any child. Parents should study there children and apply the necessary discipline.
■ In my family of five kids I was flogged the most. My mom studied all her children related to them accordingly. My sisters were rarely flogged because they preferred this talking kind of thing. My two brothers were also very mild. But you see me grin ... Talk no dey enter my head at all. My mom noticed it and dealt the hell out of me. She always said
of all her children, I was the one that took after her. She was this ginger person.
■ Study kids and relate with them accordingly. Don't be rigid with the process. Be fluid and dynamic.
1. I didn't ask you of your private suggestion regarding what you call herbs or vegetables. I asked you whether the end result would not have been similar.. undecided

2. You were flogged primarily because your mother and your father believed flogging was the only capable option there was. Generations before them were fed that tale as well that flogging was the best option. But here I asked you of another option that could have aided and you seem unable to process it. undecided

3. Flogging may not have been needed at all. That reset that flogging gives a child comes at a cost. Look around Nigeria, and all of Africa, to see that cost. undecided

4. If your mother had not only studied you but also studied other ways to get to you, she wouldn't have needed to flog at all as she would have realized that even for the most stubborn, there are alternative ways to reach the child without needing to damage his or her will. undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by being(m): 10:58am On May 18, 2023
Pls tell, what is this cost to Africa and also Asia?

Also, do u have kids yet?

You are talking about will-- have you seen how an uncontrolled will leads to ridiculous juvi delinquencies in d West?
Kobojunkie:
1. I didn't ask you of your private suggestion regarding what you call herbs or vegetables. I asked you whether the end result would not have been similar.. undecided

2. You were flogged primarily because your mother and your father believed flogging was the only capable option there was. Generations before them were fed that tale as well that flogging was the best option. But here I asked you of another option that could have aided and you seem unable to process it. undecided

3. Flogging may not have been needed at all. That reset that flogging gives a child comes at a cost. Look around Nigeria, and all of Africa, to see that cost. undecided

4. If your mother had not only studied you but also studied other ways to get to you, she wouldn't have needed to flog at all as she would have realized that even for the most stubborn, there are alternative ways to reach the child without needing to damage his or her will. undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Nobody: 11:07am On May 18, 2023
You already have 3 kids? Damn you're old.. grin grin grin.. Some of us only have 2 cats and no kids yet.. grin grin grin.. Come to think of it, I still have a long way to go..😂😂😂

But I think it has everything to do with one's personality and level of self control... Some kids have been getting flogged by their parents from a very age against certain bad things that they might've done or attempted to do, but they'd still go ahead and do those things until they're old enough to fight back, they become accustomed to their parents' flogging... I've seen such kids before... Same thing goes with those like me who haven't been flogged by their parents at home.

Some will decide not to listen to their parents' advice no matter how much the parents may advice them.

So, it all boils down to one's personality and level of self control.
wehdone:

It would interest you to know that if they had just "talked" to me back then, I would have forgotten about all they said. I would have smoked hemp!

I went to a boarding school, and my room mates, friends, bunk mate we're all smokers!!! Nothing would have stopped me from having a taste of it. Well... I never did! I never even collected the blunt! I enjoy the smell of hemp when someone else is smoking it, but I have never tasted it! I still remember mom's beatings even till today (I have 3 kids)!

I can afford to buy as much as my brain can carry and more, but I've never ever bought even the smallest one, I know where it's sold, but don't know who sells.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a very adventurous type, and a wild being. I am very sure if I wasn't beaten when they saw me with the cigarette, nothing would have stopped me! Now, I wish they did same to me about some other vices like having too many female friends. Jeezzz...I had upto 10 girl friends at some point, and we were all good! I wished they flogged me to "don't do that", maybe I would be a good boy with fewer body counts😭😭😭. I was adviced to use protection instead. Now, I wish I knew only my wife
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 11:10am On May 18, 2023
being:
Pls tell, what is this cost to Africa and also Asia?
It is everywhere you look. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wife Raped By Brother-in-law / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma' / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.