Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,554 members, 7,837,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (498868 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (563) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:28pm On May 24, 2023
Zahra29:

Imagine you invite someone to stay over at yours with no restrictions, so they're there as a welcome and legal guest/resident. Then this person gets married and has 3 children. Now it's a family of 5 and your house is still the same size. They're still staying at yours legally right? But would you not have a problem with the new state of affairs and even complain that they were abusing your hospitality? grin

You forgot to add that the stayover person pays you heavily for healthcare, feeding, accommodation and random fees per spouse and child you charged him and continue to charge to enter your house, etc. AND the person is not entitled to benefits or funds your other house members are entitled to. Infact this person contributing so much to your household and if he defaults on any of the numerous restrictions you placed, you kick him out.

You might have a problem but you might think twice before victimising the person. grin

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 7:29pm On May 24, 2023
Zahra29:

Most people have to pay for prescriptions; exemptions apply if you're under 16/ on benefits/ pregnant / registered as suffering from a chronic illness or its effects

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:35pm On May 24, 2023
Zahra29:

And it's not just family housing under pressure. It's nursery and school places which might be free to attend, but cost the gov thousands per child, NHS waiting lists etc - that's what causes alarm for a small country with inadequate resources/ planning to cater for the large increase in migration.

I have been avoiding this conversation but...

The nursery, schools, NHS, etc. are funded by the Tax paid by workers (dependents, citizens, etc) so it's not necessarily a free meal. These guys are working really hard and paying their Taxes legally.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:41pm On May 24, 2023
Zahra29:

And it's not just family housing under pressure. It's nursery and school places which might be free to attend, but cost the gov thousands per child, NHS waiting lists etc - that's what causes alarm for a small country with inadequate resources/ planning to cater for the large increase in migration.

Las las, we will all be alright grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:56pm On May 24, 2023
Solumtoya:

You forgot to add that the stayover person pays you heavily for healthcare, feeding, accommodation and random fees per spouse and child you charged him and continue to charge to enter your house, etc. AND the person is not entitled to benefits or funds your other house members are entitled to. Infact this person contributing so much to your household and if he defaults on any of the numerous restrictions you placed, you kick him out.

You might have a problem but you might think twice before victimising the person. grin

I said this before and got my head bitten off 😂, but I'll repeat what I said which is that the immigration surcharge is a nominal amount that does not cover the cost of use for those who access the health service. Ask international patients how much they paid to give birth on the NHS for example (upwards of £5k), and contrast the overall cost paid by an international student or dependent to give birth here and you'll see that the surcharge is heavily subsidised.

The children of international students go to school at no cost to the parents. The fees paid to the university do not cover this. It costs upwards of £4k to fund a child's school place per year. What if the gov asked international students to cover all or some of the cost for their children's education? Would people be as eager to bring 3 or 4 children in while studying?

Funding for some nursery places which many tax paying British residents cannot access, is provided to international students on lower household incomes because priority is given to the welfare of the child, even though not British. This may be free for the recipient but it is paid for by the tax payer and not the university.

Also council tax which the student (and their dependents in some cases) do not need to pay- saving approx £150 per month depending on the council band?

The universities do not cover all the above costs. They collect their fees and run and leave the rest to the local councils and government.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 8:02pm On May 24, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

The video is mind blowing. To go out and flap our dirty laundry outside and then give the Brits more ammunitions to use against us. Such a shameful video.

https://twitter.com/TomieLagos/status/1661086080169328648/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1661086080169328648&currentTweetUser=TomieLagos
The guy said the truth on the wrong platform.
That's how some clowns went to No. 10 to submit a letter about the last general election and some even went to protest in Washington. And you expect them to respect us as a people. When our people in government do wrong, we run to report to these western countries but when we do the same or worse, we want it kept indoors so we don't "wash our laundry in public".
Nigerians, think,

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:28pm On May 24, 2023
Newbie123:
Please those on Tier 4 visa, do you pay for your medication when you go to pick up at the pharmacy?

Prescriptions are free in Scotland
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by pretty1986: 8:53pm On May 24, 2023
justwise:
The whole noise about immigration figures is just ridiculous.

Foreign students came here legally, they did not come in through the English channels or back of lorries, British embassies collected thousands of £££££, access their applications and stamped their passports with visa. They got into the UK, got a job and keep paying into the system. These foreign students paid for NHS even before using it.

The same British government that allowed them in is now crying about immigration figures.

Is this not stupid of the highest level?

No foreign student came in with wife and children hidden in hand luggage, the immigration allowed them in genuinely and now they are blaming them for increasing immigration figures.

Nonsense !
Good evening sir,pls do you know any university that offer Masters in Adults Nursing Research program?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:10pm On May 24, 2023
pretty1986:
Good evening sir,pls do you know any university that offer Masters in Adults Nursing Research program?

Use ChatGpt for questions like this
wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 9:13pm On May 24, 2023
Please can someone point me to the right direction and how to put it if I want to tell my employer to sponsor me

Note: they don't have licence yet (COS),

I want to do my assignment very well before putting it out there to them.

1. Possible how much it will cost them?

2a. They are under NHS (supplier/CCG). Am I correct to tell them it's the health and care visa category they should apply for (that is if they conversation progresses to be favourable)

2b. For someone not in medical/care settings but works under NHS umbrella, will they refunded back their HEALTH INSURANCE SURCHARGE

3. Is there any risk for them or on their part?

Semmyk, justwise, hustle,lexusgs460 and all the egbons in the house. Please help!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 9:16pm On May 24, 2023
hustla:

Use ChatGpt for questions like this
wink

😀
But ChatGPT's most recent updated information was September 2021. Op could be misled with old information if they followed gpt lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:20pm On May 24, 2023
Peerielass:

Prescriptions are free in Scotland

Oh gosh you're correct, thanks Peerielass. I committed the cardinal sin of projecting England onto the rest of the UK 🙈

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:27pm On May 24, 2023
LionInZion:

😀
But ChatGPT's most recent updated information was September 2021. Op could be misled with old information if they followed gpt lol

Would at least provide a list and then google will do the rest

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by semmyk(m): 9:31pm On May 24, 2023
The programming thread might be of great assistance - https://www.nairaland.com/programming
Pogracious:
Hello sir/ma
Is anyone working with Azure here.pls I like to ask a question.thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by semmyk(m): 9:35pm On May 24, 2023
Technically, they'll become out of status and would have to leave if there's no visa category for them.
However, being here already, it's left to be seen how things will play out. There'll 'always' be a way!!!
#InterestingTimesAhead
Hkana:
With this new law, what happens to families already in the UK? Like, couples wanting to each do a degree after the other has rounded off their studies? (Husband came in for Msc and brought family with the plan that when he finishes, his wife would then go for her msc) Would the new dependents have to go back? grin
Cc Zahra and semmyk

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:51pm On May 24, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Justwise, you are funny. My reason for saying so is that you have been in the U.K long enough to know how fickle their government and its policies are and all these noise is just to pander to the populace how they've been able to reduce migration figures prior to elections. The past is always a predictor of the future so I even expect them to cancel the PSW in the near future and in a few years time come online to cry about dwindling revenue because of the decrease in international students.
It's the same way BREXIT was the right thing to do a few years ago and now you can see various headlines saying BREXIT has failed.

No surprises here honestly.

Na so na... you sabi them

Conservative know they will lose the next election woefully so they are looking to throw stones at anything that would stick that might help their ministry. ....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:11pm On May 24, 2023
Which NHS surcharge is paying for healthcare? Did Ultrasound scan out of pocket because I couldn’t wait for the long list and paid 175 pounds then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 10:29pm On May 24, 2023
hustla:

Would at least provide a list and then google will do the rest

Okay.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 5:06am On May 25, 2023
I need info please. This 3 months requirement, is it the online application or the biometrics?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 5:08am On May 25, 2023
jedisco:

I believe they needed to act or be seen as doing something moreso with the coming migration numbers expected to be quite high.
The effect of reintroducing the 2 year PSW was stronger than they had envisioned but given its not long they backtracked on that, I doubt they'd be in a hurry to change it.

The Chancellor seems to favour immigration as there's lots of unfilled job spaces with poor economic growth which he's trying to turn around.

Unfilled job spaces where? The way people talk about the unfilled job spaces is not the way it looks. I know of someone who just got a job in audit he has 10yrs experience in audit and he jsut got a job. Meanwhile he finished since September.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 5:15am On May 25, 2023
nellaluv:

Working unlimited hours in a second job on a skilled worker visa, is this rule on the UK.gov website please?

Yes it's on the gov.uk website
https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/taking-a-second-job.

The rule is in place till August 27th 2023.

See screenshot below

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 5:16am On May 25, 2023
Zahra29:

it became an abuse of the education route when people started falsifying information fabricating pof and dependants e.g.fake marriages, fake children (I saw a post where a lady asked how she could bring her 9 yr old niece along to look after her children - isn't this what happened to Mo Farah? ) , bringing in children that they struggle to care for and having to rely on council/public funds to cover their nursery bills and other costs , planning to abandon their studies as soon as they get a job and leaving the uni out of pocket....

A gov spokesperson said on the news that it has become apparent that the education route is now being used wholesale as a back door migration route by people who wouldn't otherwise be able to come into the country.
Unfortunately they are referring to the likes of Indians, Nigerians, sri Lanka

The UK's student visa is not like Canada's. The UK gov expects students to study, stay for 1 or 2 years to gain experience, and then mostly return to their home countries to apply what they have learned. That's why the study and PSW routes do not contribute to settlement, unlike Canada. And that's why there have been calls for student numbers to be removed from official migration figures as they are supposed to be temporary migrants who are expected to return home.

Claiming to be coming to study, when you are really planning to permanently migrate your whole family to the UK, is why they see it as an abuse of the system.

It becomes a big issue for the govt when it happens on a large scale as seen over the last couple of years.

Were you born here? If not, could you enlighten us on the route with which you migrated.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 5:26am On May 25, 2023
Poanan:

Where you born here? If not, could you enlighten us on the route with which you migrated.

Irrelevant question.

This is why many thrive in whipping up sentiments and attacking people.

Leave the ad hominem and focus on the points if you have any responses. Whether she was born in UK or on the moon is irrelevant to whether what she has said is factual and logically consistent.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by leef2022: 6:29am On May 25, 2023
Viruses:
I need info please. This 3 months requirement, is it the online application or the biometrics?

I would suppose after you must have done your biometrics and all supporting documents submitted at the submission is when the 3months applies and starts to count
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:17am On May 25, 2023
Zahra29:

I said this before and got my head bitten off 😂, but I'll repeat what I said which is that the immigration surcharge is a nominal amount that does not cover the cost of use for those who access the health service. Ask international patients how much they paid to give birth on the NHS for example (upwards of £5k), and contrast the overall cost paid by an international student or dependent to give birth here and you'll see that the surcharge is heavily subsidised.

The children of international students go to school at no cost to the parents. The fees paid to the university do not cover this. It costs upwards of £4k to fund a child's school place per year. What if the gov asked international students to cover all or some of the cost for their children's education? Would people be as eager to bring 3 or 4 children in while studying?

Funding for some nursery places which many tax paying British residents cannot access, is provided to international students on lower household incomes because priority is given to the welfare of the child, even though not British. This may be free for the recipient but it is paid for by the tax payer and not the university.

Also council tax which the student (and their dependents in some cases) do not need to pay- saving approx £150 per month depending on the council band?

The universities do not cover all the above costs. They collect their fees and run and leave the rest to the local councils and government.

You minimise the contribution international students +dependents bring. Their footfall alone, the presence of a working populace and the effect it has on growing the economy cannot be overestimated. From housing, consumption of goods, intellectual ability, labour provision e.t.c

To put things in perspective, these students contribute much more to the system when compared to what their British peers contribute. Worse still, they get much less out of it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:18am On May 25, 2023
Poanan:

Unfilled job spaces where? The way people talk about the unfilled job spaces is not the way it looks. I know of someone who just got a job in audit he has 10yrs experience in audit and he jsut got a job. Meanwhile he finished since September.

Its worth seeing the whole market picture. One person is hardly representative.
It's tougher for international students but the labour market is still very strong and unemployment at historical lows

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:28am On May 25, 2023
Zahra29:

The UK's student visa is not like Canada's. The UK gov expects students to study, stay for 1 or 2 years to gain experience, and then mostly return to their home countries to apply what they have learned. That's why the study and PSW routes do not contribute to settlement, unlike Canada. And that's why there have been calls for student numbers to be removed from official migration figures as they are supposed to be temporary migrants who are expected to return home.

Claiming to be coming to study, when you are really planning to permanently migrate your whole family to the UK, is why they see it as an abuse of the system.

It becomes a big issue for the govt when it happens on a large scale as seen over the last couple of years.

Any government official that believes this should not be in a position of planning

I have not come across a Brit that would pay 15k, Visa + IHS fee and separate from family all cos of a masters degree. They'd consider it ridiculous. How then does the UK expect a low income Nigeria to churn out such cash to stuff their coffers?

Returning to contribute is one of the hypocritical statements branded around. They could stay back and contribute to the UK economy. For the Nigerian labour market, a UK masters is not worth any more that masters from elsewhere. Many times not worth the paper it was issued on.

Over 95% of folks coming for masters see it as a means to emigrate legally. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just like with being part of the EU, the UK economy gains much more from international students than it gives.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 8:05am On May 25, 2023
jedisco:

Any government official that believes this should not be in a position of planning

I have not come across a Brit that would pay 15k, Visa + IHS fee and separate from family all cos of a masters degree. They'd consider it ridiculous. How then does the UK expect a low income Nigeria to churn out such cash to stuff their coffers?

Returning to contribute is one of the hypocritical statements branded around. They could stay back and contribute to the UK economy. For the Nigerian labour market, a UK masters is not worth any more that masters from elsewhere. Many times not worth the paper it was issued on.

Over 95% of folks coming for masters see it as a means to emigrate legally. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just like with being part of the EU, the UK economy gains much more from international students than it gives.

I cannot agree with you more. The Brits concern is borne out of fear of bring overwhelmed by intellectuals from the immigrant community. Imagine a masters class of over 300 students and none are Brits. These students graduate and enter the economy. They may start small but will climb the career ladder far higher than the average brit whose highest education level is a diploma or technical certificate.

How many brits can afford to pay such high school fees? Even with the subsidised education and access to student loans, they still feel less motivated to further their education.

These dependents they are talking about are mostly highly skilled individuals with years of corporate experience in their home country. Ten years down the line, you can only imagine what they will attain (career wise) in a clime that offers better opportunities.

I can recall the former first minister of Scotland talking about how foreign students have helped to grow the UK economy and how Scotland has benefited immensely from foreign students. You want their money but you don't want their family. School fees has skyrocketed, landlords are smiling to the bank with some collecting 6 months advance.

Go to most care homes, who look after the old and sick brits? 99% are dependents of immigrant students. How many brits do personal care in care homes? The hypocrisy is just too much. What happens to building more infrastructure and providing more amenities with the increased taxes?

It's our leaders I blame. Anyway. We will all be fine, this I am sure.

24 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:20am On May 25, 2023
Poanan:

Where you born here? If not, could you enlighten us on the route with which you migrated.
Don’t try to set the poster up for drags, instead, make a counter argument if you do not agree with their stance.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Intrepidone(m): 9:07am On May 25, 2023
To every contributor on this platform grinding to put right information out for us, thank you.
Please i have a small problem with me experian identity verification. Attached below is a snapshot of it please any advice.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 9:13am On May 25, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Don’t try to set the poster up for drags, instead, make a counter argument if you do not agree with their stance.

Haba Nooo not at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:24am On May 25, 2023
Viruses:

Application

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (563) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: Treadway, OfferAccepted, Phobos19, Globalshaper, ReesheesuKnack, Teenuh, Zahra29, ezixt and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.