Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (465) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486355 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 12:56pm On Mar 04
celi4ever2k5:
Hello House! I need assistance with my car insurance. I have received various quotes, which are pretty high and confusing. I currently hold both a UK Provisional Driving License and a Nigerian License, but I am uncertain which option is the best and most appropriate for me. I have noticed that the quotes I receive using my Provisional License are less than Β£2,000 per year, while those using my foreign license are over Β£3,000. I also hoped to get recommendations for insurance companies offering reasonable quotes. I appreciate your help!

This was exactly same question I asked few days ago and nobody cared to even look at it. It is well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:08pm On Mar 04
makazona:

This was exactly same question I asked few days ago and nobody cared to even look at it. It is well

A provisional is a temporary, learner's license so it would incur a higher premium due to a higher risk factor. A higher premium also typically applies to a foreign license.

Best move would be to get a full UK license.
However if you want to drive on your foreign license, try using a comparison engine like
https://www.confused.com/campaign/car-insurance/car-insurance-quotes?
to search the market for you.

Alternatively if you already have home insurance, check if your provider offers discounts/bundle deals for additional policies.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:42pm On Mar 04
briliantsak:
Interesting read!

"A single year’s intake of international students in 2021/22 generated nearly Β£42bn for the UK economy"

"Only 3% of the public have any idea of the scale of that contribution."

https://loom.ly/bTtjzS8

Their public sabi anything other than to complain and moan and bar hop?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:46pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

So while we speak out against racism in the UK,whether real or perceived, let's also be introspective and speak out loudly against any form of discrimination among your own people.

This is classic whataboutism.

The issue of discuss here is an article exemplifying how some sections of the British media use certain innuendos to spur up hate against immigrant groups.

The general issue of human discrimination can always be discussed INB and not dragged in to cast a shadow on this specific issue.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:59pm On Mar 04
hustla:

grin

It'd take a while for whatever is going on in that sector to settle. This is an election year and the anti-imigrant narrative is the lowest hanging fruit for the Tories and they've thrown everything at it. They should see the tightening through to the election at least.

OTOH, the universities are strong at lobbying and would push thru facts moreso with their cash cow (i.e international students) being muzzled while fees for local students have been capped since 2016. Interestingly 'international students account for one in every five pounds in income received by UK universities'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:05pm On Mar 04
jedisco:

This is classic whataboutism.

The issue of discuss here is an article exemplifying how some sections of the British media use certain innuendos to spur up hate against immigrant groups.

The general issue of human discrimination can always be discussed INB and not dragged in to cast a shadow on this specific issue.

Erm the bolded is a bit hyperbolic isn't it ? For starters, unless the nurse was not born in Nigeria, it is a statement of fact. Secondly this fact wasn't emblazoned in their headline, accompanied by any derogation, it was simply mentioned in the middle of the article.

Call it whatabboutery, but would the same outrage apply if a Nigerian publication mentioned the hometown of an individual in their report e.g. "Edo native".....or are they incapable of "spurring up hate" among different ethnic groups?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:14pm On Mar 04
jedisco:

It'd take a while for whatever is going on in that sector to settle. This is an election year and the anti-imigrant narrative is the lowest hanging fruit for the Tories and they've thrown everything at it. They should see the tightening through to the election at least.

OTOH, the universities are strong at lobbying and would push thru facts moreso with their cash cow (i.e international students) being muzzled while fees for local students have been capped since 2016. Interestingly 'international students account for one in every five pounds in income received by UK universities'.

The dependant ban will not be lifted anytime soon. More prestigious/higher ranked universities might be influential enough to lobby some type of exemption, but the average to lower ranked universities will have to find alternative ways to attract international students without their dependants, because for every pound an international student might contribute, the state has estimated that 80% of dependants do not work and are a net beneficiary of the state.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:16pm On Mar 04
jedisco:

I'll wait till July and see what they'll do.. And maybe some more figures will be available
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:17pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

The dependant ban will not be lifted anytime soon. More prestigious/higher ranked universities might be influential enough to lobby some type of exemption, but the average to lower ranked universities will have to find alternative ways to attract international students without their dependants, because for every pound an international student might contribute, the state has estimated that 80% of dependants do not work and are a net beneficiary of the state.

Sensible thing would have been age and number restriction on dependents, not outright ban

Na them know Sha

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:40pm On Mar 04
hustla:

Sensible thing would have been age and number restriction on dependents, not outright ban

Na them know Sha

smiley

Then people would complain that the home office is splitting families ,discriminating against young families etc

You can't please everyone unless they throw open the borders and let everyone in, and even then the immigrants would complain that everywhere is so congested, London is worse than Lagos, no school or hospital places etc lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:53pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

Then people would complain that the home office is splitting families ,discriminating against young families etc

You can't please everyone unless they throw open the borders and let everyone in, and even then the immigrants would complain that everywhere is so congested, London is worse than Lagos, no school or hospital places etc lol

grin

Splitting families is better than allowing 0 families
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CannyDoll: 5:16pm On Mar 04
Hello house, I am very desperate at the moment to the point that I am resolving to this, pls if anyone knows how I can get a loan public/private which ever to offset my tuition pls let me know, I am on the verge of being deregistered from school, the exchange rate has affected me badly I have tried all means possible but can't pool funds from home at the moment. Pls help a sister, you can DM me pls πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:32pm On Mar 04
CannyDoll:
Hello house, I am very desperate at the moment to the point that I am resolving to this, pls if anyone knows how I can get a loan public/private which ever to offset my tuition pls let me know, I am on the verge of being deregistered from school, the exchange rate has affected me badly I have tried all means possible but can't pool funds from home at the moment. Pls help a sister, you can DM me pls πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½

How much do you have left?

Do you have a CC? I know people withdraw off the CC and pay their fees with it (not financial advice)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:09pm On Mar 04
Lexusgs430:

If any "low risk" investment, could guarantee £20 daily returns, on a £2000 investment....... None of us would bother going to work........ 🀣

I go just find Β£100,000 loan, put am for this "low risk" investment...... πŸ˜œπŸ˜­πŸ˜‚
The loan provider will then charge 1.5% interest per day on the loan.

Na why it's difficult to invest loan money except in business because returns on investment is usually lower than interest rate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:13pm On Mar 04
Tier4Dependant:
Does anyone know why an insurance company won’t renew your premium.

I reached out to the customer care but they couldn’t give any reason.

I don go back to admiral jeje since marshmallow has refused to give me a renewal quote.

Only downside is admiral says I can’t protect my 2 yrs NCB. The minimum is 4years
My colleague said he protected his no claims discount for 12yrs, after about 12yrs he made his first claim, at renewal the claim affected his premium, since then he stopped protected NCD
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by stephoye: 8:13pm On Mar 04
Hi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tryurbest: 8:17pm On Mar 04
Hello elders, must I book for biometrics appointment at a TLS before I can be able to self upload the required documents? It is taking me directly to TLS bookings anytime I click on 'provide documents and biometrics'. I'm applying for my dependants from Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 8:24pm On Mar 04
CannyDoll:

Do you have a job or stable source of income? If you do, there's a chance of getting one.

If not, that's a big ask from any lender
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:35pm On Mar 04
heroshark:

You be thief πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ€£ (in a friendly non-offensive sense of the word)

High-risk investment dey average 8-15% ROI per year and you are looking for a low risk investment with 365% ROI per annum?

If such exists people no need to dey work naa. Just investment Β£50k and make Β£500 quid daily. Even bank no go dey give you mortgage at less than 5% interest rate
I don laff tire 🀣🀣🀣

A whole 1% daily. Bro's looking for low risk, super duper hyper rewards.

You can only get those kind of profits on equally super duper hyper high risk investments.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:41pm On Mar 04
celi4ever2k5:
Hello House! I need assistance with my car insurance. I have received various quotes, which are pretty high and confusing. I currently hold both a UK Provisional Driving License and a Nigerian License, but I am uncertain which option is the best and most appropriate for me. I have noticed that the quotes I receive using my Provisional License are less than Β£2,000 per year, while those using my foreign license are over Β£3,000. I also hoped to get recommendations for insurance companies offering reasonable quotes. I appreciate your help!

Use both the provisional and Nigerian license to your advantage.

Use the below hack. In your case, first use the provisional, wait like a month (don't drive or get an accompanying driver) then update your details. In my case, I updated from provisional to full UK after 4 months and my price remained the same, I only paid Β£73 update fee.

Viruses:

This is a hack, a legal one but cannot be used urgently because you'll need time. Others thinking of buying a car can try it as well, that is what I did and I'm currently paying like half of what I would ordinarily be paying for insurance.

If you're ready to pass your driving test and ready to buy a car, get a car and get a privisional driving licence.
Get an insurance on the provisional licence, insurance on provisional license is usually very cheap because they know you can't drive with it.

Then take your driving test and pass. Update your insurance to the full license, the insurance price will remain the same or go up just a little.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 8:46pm On Mar 04
jedisco:

Beyond universities funding. It will likely strain the nhs as students are massive net contributors and were helping to fill many low skilled job vacancies without recourse to any sort of public funding. Am very sure they offered many economic benefits that were overlooked and underappreciated.

I strongly suspect students sharp slowdown is one of the reasons why the country went into a recession and inflation stopped falling.

Also, the government doesnt also have the projected funds to offer any significant tax cuts or fund any expansive infrastructure.

the government though decided to blamed children not turning in school for the recession.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:06pm On Mar 04
Viruses:

The loan provider will then charge 1.5% interest per day on the loan.

Na why it's difficult to invest loan money except in business because returns on investment is usually lower than interest rate.

Does it have to be a bank loan.......😭😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:14pm On Mar 04
Resurgent2016:

Beyond universities funding. It will likely strain the nhs as students are massive net contributors and were helping to fill many low skilled job vacancies without recourse to any sort of public funding. Am very sure they offered many economic benefits that were overlooked and underappreciated.

I strongly suspect students sharp slowdown is one of the reasons why the country went into a recession and inflation stopped falling.

Completely agree with the bolded.

I suspect also that the sharp drop in student numbers may be why we experienced a very mild winter this year, and is very probably the reason why Iceland has drastically reduced the amount of chicken in their chicken thighs pack.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:24pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

I suspect also that the sharp drop in student numbers may be why we experienced a very mild winter this year, and is very probably the reason why Iceland has drastically reduced the amount of chicken in their chicken thighs pack.

I suspect that's why my car insurance provider is increasing my premium at renewal. All this while, I was waiting and hoping premium will go down at renewal. Sad because after using comparison sites, the increased renewal premium was still the cheapest.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:27pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

Erm the bolded is a bit hyperbolic isn't it ? For starters, unless the nurse was not born in Nigeria, it is a statement of fact. Secondly this fact wasn't emblazoned in their headline, accompanied by any derogation, it was simply mentioned in the middle of the article.

My first post adressed this: 'It's not about whether those statements are true or false but what they dubiously set out to achieve'. That's why its called microagrression. It's hardly ever in your face but mainly in incidents and patterns that leave you wondering if you'd have been treated differently if you were white. Another example is captured below.

Zahra29:

The dependant ban will not be lifted anytime soon.... the state has estimated that 80% of dependants do not work and are a net beneficiary of the state.

It's for them to decide (likely post-election). If its another knee jerk reaction, it'd be back to chasing tails after a few years. Someone needs to sit and make forward thinking and realistic plans.
BTW, mind sharing your source for the bolded claim? It's largely at variance to what I see around me.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tobbyoladejo: 10:43pm On Mar 04
Lexusgs430:

You dodged a bullet...... Never buy a car with outstanding finance or logbook loans...... (Unless the seller is clearing the finance, in your presence)...... And you call the finance company afterwards........ If you don't want that stress, another much better vehicle, is always around the corner........πŸ˜‚

The importance of conducting an HPI check.......
Please can you advise on where to conduct a good and affordable HPI check? I'm looking to purchase a 2012 Ford B-max in a few weeks, so I need to be sure
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:46pm On Mar 04
jedisco:

My first post adressed this: 'It's not about whether those statements are true or false but what they dubiously set out to achieve'. That's why its called microagrression. It's hardly ever in your face but mainly in incidents and patterns that leave you wondering if you'd have been treated differently if you were white. Another example is captured below.

It's for them to decide (likely post-election). If its another knee jerk reaction, it'd be back to chasing tails after a few years. Someone needs to sit and make forward thinking and realistic plans.
BTW, mind sharing your source for the bolded claim? It's largely at variance to what I see around me.

Only God can format man's brain to remove racism, maybe all of us would start seeing ourselves with green skin and no difference. But with the way things are now, racism persists. It's part of man.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:53pm On Mar 04
tobbyoladejo:

Please can you advise on where to conduct a good and affordable HPI check? I'm looking to purchase a 2012 Ford B-max in a few weeks, so I need to be sure

For starters, check the engine is not from the very notorious ecoboost era.......

Popularly called "ecoboom''......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:55pm On Mar 04
Zahra29:

May our good Lord, deliver you from all forms of temptation.......😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:59pm On Mar 04
tobbyoladejo:

https://www.carvertical.com/gb

Use code CCD, for 20% discount........ Not my code ......

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 11:14pm On Mar 04
Lexusgs430:

May our good Lord, deliver you from all forms of temptation.......😁😜

Hahahahhahahaha so you too noticed the drop in Iceland chicken... Chai, 3 for Β£10 still but the numbers have reduced. Nawa ooo. God help us for everywhere. Amen
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:29am On Mar 05
hustla:

grin

No forget to add β€œyou are being rude” .

Thats all they know how to say.

Ukrainian who came here recently are e title to all the benefits but we that pay 16k tuition are not entitled to public funds 😭

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Kingkom, toughest007, hyzich(m), Uk2020 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.