Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,693 members, 7,847,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 08:29 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (558) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (515986 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) ... (577) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 5:58pm On May 18
kwakudtraveller:
Funny but sad
It's really crazy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 7:02pm On May 18
Hi all, please does speeding ticket/points impact ILR application? Looks like 3 points are coming someone’s way grin, Note, speed awareness course already done in last 2yrs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temmythayor005: 7:29pm On May 18
elengine:

Your chance is limited if you are not a qualified accountant. However, whether you are qualified or not, you need an opportunity to gain work experience. So please target Interim accounting role or a contract role. It is easier to get an interim role either to fill in a role due to maternity or sickness and build your exposure and work experience. Once you have 6 months in real accounting world, then employer will trust you

Thank you for the hint boss.
I have ICAN certificate,and I have claimed exemption with it in anticipation to earn ACCA certificate with 4 papers to write. I should also be submitting my EoE by September to earn ICAEW certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:27pm On May 18
Temmythayor005:
Hi Fam,
Good evening.
Please I need insights as to how to land accounting roles interviews.

I am currently on a graduate visa due to expire December 2025. I have 7 years experience in the accounting world in Nigeria. And I have been working for more than one year with a charity organisation (paid volunteer) here in UK.
However, practically all my applications have been met with unfortunately feedback.

Your contributions to atleast land an interview will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

I’ll share with you what worked for me, i applied through many means like LinkedIn, reed, totals job, CV library but what really works is that I visit many companies career websites because I realised that some adverts are not out there. For example, I check top 50 investment banks, accounting firms or top companies in particular area and I visit their career websites to apply for related vacancies after I tailored my CV to suit the role, this can be tiring but it works for me.

I also signed up with some agencies e.g The consultancy and reed.

The fact is that there will be a lot of regret mails but don’t be discouraged about it and I’m happy you’ve got UK experience so keep pushing

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 8:37pm On May 18
Hello good people.
Anyone got any plug for the Fury vs Usyk Bicing match tonight?
Please…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 9:22pm On May 18
RalphJean:
Hello good people.
Please…

Go on Twitter and type “ fury uysk live” in the search bar. Applies for all football games as well. Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:54pm On May 18
Jamesclooney:
Hi all, please does speeding ticket/points impact ILR application? Looks like 3 points are coming someone’s way grin, Note, speed awareness course already done in last 2yrs.

Bros I don’t have an answer for you but try to dey adhere to the speed limit now for your own safety and safety of other road users.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:57pm On May 18
For all of you that keep expressing extremist views here and on other platforms. A word is enough for the wise.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/17/palestinian-student-visa-rejected-hamas-israel-war-comments/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:24pm On May 18
Peerielass:
For all of you that keep expressing extremist views here and on other platforms. A word is enough for the wise.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/17/palestinian-student-visa-rejected-hamas-israel-war-comments/

So we do not have freedom of speech ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:50pm On May 18
Rishi Sunak is now the Richest man in the Uk overtaken the King Charles of England.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:20am On May 19
lavida001:
Rishi Sunak is now the Richest man in the Uk overtaken the King Charles of England.

At least he didn’t steal & plunder his country’s money.

At least he can explain the source of his wealth, plus prove of paying all HMRC taxes … unlike the president(s) of some country (ies) I know.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:24am On May 19
lavida001:

So we do not have freedom of speech ?

The Hamas terrorists ( mind you, I didn’t say the Palestinians) viciously attacked innocent Israeli civilians, including hundreds of youngsters at a music festival on October 7.

This girl made those statements, glorying the Hamas acts on October 8.

As at the time she was rejoicing at the Hamas actions, Israel had not even decided on next steps yet.

If Your interpretation of ‘freedom of speech’ is to say you are ‘full of joy’ that terrorists attacked, killed, raped and abducted innocent concert goers and killed innocent people in their Kibbutz then something is not right somewhere.

In case you do not know it, glorifying acts of terrorism is a crime, in the UK. This has nothing to do with Freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is not freedom of terrorism.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:55am On May 19
Peerielass:

More on the story since the Telegraph is pay-walled.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/palestinian-student-dana-abuqamar-visa-revoked-gaza-comments/

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:16am On May 19
lavida001:

The GDP of Uk is just a quarter of that of the states. I will pick the states over Uk but na just the gun violence dey discourage me.

The nominal GDP difference is not so remarkable but when broken down and compared in more relatable terms, it becomes stunning. One is a past empire the other is the world economic powerhouse for over a century. The snapshot by an FT article threw this into the limelight again.
The US practically saved the UK from collapse a number of times and Britains foreign policy for sometime has been likened by some to just asking what America wants and doubling down on it e.g with Huawei

The US obsession with guns is troubling but the wider effect is largely exaggerated.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 1:24am On May 19
lavida001:

...and what is wrong with that?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:26am On May 19
Zahra29:

Oh please.

You shared your own view that the request for a CT scan by Lexus for his young son, who had been seen by A&E for a head injury, was basically inappropriate use of NHS resources. You disparage Brits and Britain all the time, so it's a bit rich coming from you lol

And as to the bolded, you are very mistaken if you think I'm trying to convince "folks" to remain in the UK. Of what value is it to me? Do they pay taxes or other benefits to me? Do I run a care agency?🙄 I have stated several times that "bon voyage, all the best" to anyone who bashes the UK and thinks the US or Nigeria or anywhere is better, but as per usual you're very selective in your reading.

For the first part it's worth revisiting the string of conversations with Lexus this time keeping emotions by the door and telling me what part you have an issue with.

For the second paragraph its called adhominem. But out of curiosity, please give me examples of how I 'disparage Brits and Britain all the time'
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:45am On May 19
Viruses:

Thank you for this suggestion. The risks you highlighted are my worries also.

Any opinions on the other two ideas (overpay current mortgage or save for BTL instead)?

Considering a loosely similar approach but gone more with the later.

Ultimately it boils down to what interest rate you have on your mortgage, how long is left on the fixed period and what the numbers from you local btl market (if looking locally) stack up to.
The end numbers from BTL aren't so juicy as many think. Its main advantage is still being the ability to leverage. An index fund either in a pension or ISA may provide good returns with much less hassle than a BTL
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 2:13am On May 19
jedisco:

The nominal GDP difference is not so remarkable but when broken down and compared in more relatable terms, it becomes stunning. One is a past empire the other is the world economic powerhouse for over a century. The snapshot by an FT article threw this into the limelight again.
The US practically saved the UK from collapse a number of times and Britains foreign policy for sometime has been likened by some to just asking what America wants and doubling down on it e.g with Huawei

The US obsession with guns is troubling but the wider effect is largely exaggerated.

Absolutely….Most of the corporations in the uk are American owned also Heard that Heathrow is partly owned by the Qataris.

Indians GDP has also surpassed that of England for the first time. They really need to fix up if they want to remain globally relevant.

Well what do I know I am just going to mind my African business.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:21am On May 19
RalphJean:
Hello good people.
Please…

The beauty of IPTV
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:30am On May 19
ReesheesuKnack:

The Hamas terrorists ( mind you, I didn’t say the Palestinians) viciously attacked innocent Israeli civilians, including hundreds of youngsters at a music festival on October 7.

This girl made those statements, glorying the Hamas acts on October 8.

As at the time she was rejoicing at the Hamas actions, Israel had not even decided on next steps yet.

If Your interpretation of ‘freedom of speech’ is to say you are ‘full of joy’ that terrorists attacked, killed, raped and abducted innocent concert goers and killed innocent people in their Kibbutz then something is not right somewhere.

In case you do not know it, glorifying acts of terrorism is a crime, in the UK. This has nothing to do with Freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is not freedom of terrorism.

Oh what a glorious day! I know there's still a lot of sanity left in the UK, regardless of some challenges. Reasonable decision, it's people/comments like this student that gives Israel reasons to continue the counterattack without restraint.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:28am On May 19
ehizario2012:

The beauty of IPTV

This is an understatement........😂😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 7:38am On May 19
Jamesclooney:

No it doesn't. Just make sure to declare it and you'll be fine. What mostly affects the application these days are;
1. Duration spent in and out of the UK
2. Caution on one's record
3. Jail sentence on one's record.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TheUnburnt: 8:15am On May 19
Please gurus in the house,
Does IHS cover for MRI and CT scans?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:29am On May 19
lavida001:

Absolutely….Most of the corporations in the uk are American owned also Heard that Heathrow is partly owned by the Qataris.

Indians GDP has also surpassed that of England for the first time. They really need to fix up if they want to remain globally relevant.

Well what do I know I am just going to mind my African business.

Abosolute GDP doesn't say much when comparing different sized nations. GDP per capita is a better metric. Better still when adjusted e.g fir PPP. Wouldn't bother much about who owns a heavily regulated local infrastructure which the govt can easily seize on 'national security concerns.

All said the UK would be among the top 5 destinations Nigerians seeking to emigrate all things considered i.e economy, secularism, ease of integration etc. My grouse was the hypocrisy behind the 'seeking utopia' jibe when those who decided on their brain and grit to immigrate here now consider options elsewhere. Loads of local British folks move to other nations in search of greener pastures. Many even seek to retire in Europe or Asia. No one comes to mock their motive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:33am On May 19
TheUnburnt:
Please gurus in the house,
Does IHS cover for MRI and CT scans?

It's an additional tax/levy and covers any service or treatment under the NHS.

It's also used to pay for a salary increase for all government workers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meowvinn: 8:33am On May 19
Thnks a lot
Viruses:

Moneybox got you covered. They have different packages depending on how long you want to lock the money for and your plan for the money.

Download the app, register and go through the account types.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meowvinn: 8:34am On May 19
Thnx a lot
kwakudtraveller:

Money box has a savings options called Simple Saver and you are only allowed to withdraw once a month.
https://www.moneyboxapp.com/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by TheUnburnt: 9:02am On May 19
jedisco:

It's an additional tax/levy and covers any service or treatment under the NHS.

It's also used to pay for a salary increase for all government workers.

That means my GP won’t charge me if I ask for an MRI or CT scan? I don’t feel well.

I’m asking because I’ve been paying for my prescription despite the IHS fees I paid before relocating to the uk.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 9:14am On May 19
TheUnburnt:

That means my GP won’t charge me if I ask for an MRI or CT scan? I don’t feel well.

I’m asking because I’ve been paying for my prescription despite the IHS fees I paid before relocating to the uk.

In England, you pay ~ £9.35 per prescription.
Normally, you don’t ask for a CT scan or MRI. In normal circumstances, the professional examines you, and decide if your case requires an MRI or CT scan or not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:22am On May 19
TheUnburnt:

Aside some exempt groups (e.g children, adults on benefits, older folks...) everyone else pays a given sum for their NHS prescription irrespective of the cost of the medication. This was introduced years back to help with funding. If on regular medications, you could look at getting a prepayment certificate which is a periodic sum and could work out cheaper if you certain number of meds frequently. Alternatively, you could ask your practice to make your script run for 2 months

Regarding requesting for investigations, it shouldn't be offered to you based solely on the grounds that you requested. If you have an issue then you could book an appointment with your GP who'd discuss this with you and what means to proceed with investigations (if required). If you're keen on a CT or MRI, its worth mentioning it there and your doctor would be able to say why or why not.

If you feel acutely unwell outside hours (and you think its serious enough it can't wait for your GP), then its 111 or A&E where virtually same process applies but in a tailored version.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 10:37am On May 19
It’s what’s in the air these days atink.
ehizario2012:

This is the second time you mentioned copium 😂

It is well

(1) (2) (3) ... (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) (561) ... (577) (Reply)

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive?

Viewing this topic: ridwando, moshood44(m), immobilare(m), topellycategory, michaellek, Nemie and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.