Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,192 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured (21421 Views)

Jatim Derby: Riot Erupts In Indonesia League Match. 174 Dead, 180 injured / Joseph Kabungo, CAF Official Dies Following Stampede After Ghana Vs Nigeria Game / Asisat Oshoala Scores 4 Goals In El Classico. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by fergie001: 10:31am On May 21, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCdmXEXEo8
At least 12 football fans have reportedly died and around 500 more injured after a stampede of supporters unfolded at a match in El Salvador.

The Monumental stadium in Cuscatlan, about 25 miles northeast of capital San Salvador, was hosting a quarter-final clash between domestic clubs Alianza and FAS. However, the venue's capacity of 44,836 is understood to have been exceeded after hopeful spectators forced their way through an access gate.

The resulting flood of fans saw play suspended just 16 minutes into the match as chaos unfolded on-field. Horrific images from the match showed bodies strewn in tunnels and gangways as medics saw to those injured in the crush.

"It was an avalanche of fans who overran the gate," commented Pedro Hernandez, president of El Salvadoran football's first division. "Some were still under the metal in the tunnel. Others managed to make it to the stands and then to the field and were smothered."

Footage of the incident in Cuscatlan showed the moment fans recognise the seriousness of the crush as it unfolded. Some supporters could be seen fighting to free others from beyond the metal barriers inside a tunnel.

Mauricio Arriaza, director of the National Civil Police, said nine fans died at the hospital, with three more deaths confirmed from different hospitals. "Salvadoran soccer is in mourning," he added.

Reports suggested officials were concerned about fake tickets to the match being sold, with an investigation into the matter already believed to be underway.

Others pictures showed emergency services rushing outside the stadium, scything through a sea of disorientated spectators in states of shock.

The Salvadoran Soccer Federation voiced sympathy for the families of those affected by the tragedy. Local police has said a criminal investigation will take place.

Carlos Fuentes, spokesman for the Rescue Commandos confirmed 'seven men and two women' were among the nine initially believed dead, though that number has since grown.

The President's brother, Yamil, leads El Salvador's national institute of sports and was reported saying a meeting had been called for Sunday to review the tragedy.

SOURCE

[quote]The El Salvador National Civil Police and the General Prosecutor of the Republic or El Salvador will carry out an exhaustive investigation of the events that occurred at the Cuscatlán Stadium.

Everyone will be investigated: teams, managers, stadium, ticket office, league, federation, etc.

Whoever the culprits are, they will not go unpunished.

Nayib Bukele (President, Republic of El Salvador

1 Like

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by felong(m): 2:53pm On May 21, 2023
Africa my continent undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by clark0: 2:53pm On May 21, 2023
What an unfortunate incident
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by ogify1(m): 2:53pm On May 21, 2023
-
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Waterlilly: 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
Stampede a situation where a large group of frightened animals, esp. horses or cattle, or a large group of people, all run in the same direction

8 Likes

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by ipobarecriminals: 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
sad
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Sergio101(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
Rip to the dead
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Sucre6: 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
When things like this is happening, the best thing to do is just standup wherever u are seated in the stadium and run to the topmost layer of the stadium and observe from there, don't try to run outside the stadium or panic.
RIP to the unfortunate deceased embarassed

16 Likes

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by ecolime(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
clark0:
What an unfortunate incident
Really unfortunate
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by DeAdvokate(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
Entertainment turned sorrow

1 Like

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by gentlesmithugo(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
Nawao
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by FManager(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2023
Why does the football player look like he's been given an award
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by temmyjoe(m): 2:55pm On May 21, 2023
My heart goes out to the family of those who lost their love ones
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by EmmaLege: 2:56pm On May 21, 2023
🤕
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Astra101: 2:56pm On May 21, 2023
felong:
El Salvador in Africa? shocked you see why school no be scam?

School before nairaland because here no be Facebook.

School nah scam, undecidedyou see the result?

47 Likes

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by DorianD(m): 2:57pm On May 21, 2023
felong:
El
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Hotwest: 2:57pm On May 21, 2023
for the OVER love of the game

RIP to the unfortunate ones
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by DorianD(m): 2:58pm On May 21, 2023
felong:
Wow...El Salvador in Africa?...Just Wow

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Weathered: 2:59pm On May 21, 2023
felong:
How is El Salvador an African Country?

Imbecilic brain-damaged illiterate.

8 Likes

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Paulnoma(m): 2:59pm On May 21, 2023
fergie001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCdmXEXEo8

Why did we hear this happened or that happened and the next thing 30 dead,60 dead,41 dead are these not humans

God help us
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by lexy2014: 3:04pm On May 21, 2023
Sucre6:
When things like this is happening, the best thing to do is just standup wherever u are seated in the stadium and run to the topmost layer of the stadium and observe from there, don't try to run outside the stadium or panic.
RIP to the unfortunate deceased embarassed

How are you going to get to the topmost layer of the stadium?

1 Like

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Fmghewzy(m): 3:07pm On May 21, 2023
felong:

Mad man is Elsavador an African country?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by cunny88(m): 3:08pm On May 21, 2023
Not surprised, the country used to be the most dangerous place to live in the world
Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by felong(m): 3:09pm On May 21, 2023
Weathered:
How is El Salvador an African Country?

Imbecilic brain-damaged illiterate.
Olodo why not use Google to expose your illiteracy before quoting me. El Salvador is in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by Sucre6: 3:09pm On May 21, 2023
lexy2014:

How are you going to get to the topmost layer of the stadium?

It's easy, just stand up when everyone is pannicking amd running helter-skelter, most importantly make sure u are up standing and not moving make them no stampede you. Then observe the way people run upanda and gradually move until u get to the final stage of the stadium, I was in Abuja stadium during the NSCDC interview when the stampede that claimed many lives happened, what I explained here is what I did, and I came out save and sound, it was a horrow show that day

6 Likes

Re: Stampede Erupts In El Salvador League Match. 12 Dead, 500 Injured by felong(m): 3:09pm On May 21, 2023
Fmghewzy:

Mad man is Elsavador an African country?
Olodo yes it is. Check it on Google

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dalung Apologises To Nigeria Dream Team VI In Their Dressing Room (Video) / Cristiano Ronaldo: "Saudi League Is Better Than MLS". / Joao Felix Wins 2019 Golden Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.