Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,542 members, 7,812,686 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup (16361 Views)

Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses / What’s Your Experience Working In A Company Owned By A Pastor? / Share Your Experience Working On Multiple Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by namo77: 4:00pm On May 26, 2023
Supreme145:

Can't really tell cos I work remotely

You should know… don’t you attend meetings? Don’t you have other staff members you relate with? HR? Or anyone that calls you for reports? Or someone that sends you content?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Fearyourcreator: 4:35pm On May 26, 2023
ednut1:
how does this relate to what you are saying. I myself do some business in the same nigeria na.
So....
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by motionarena: 6:11pm On May 26, 2023
adewale2011:
In startups you don't work for Salary, you work for a share percentage of the Company, so you can put in your best and watch the company grow.
Startups usually don't make profit for like at least five years. Your boss is probably paying you the 150k from his pocket not business profit. There are many Challenges with starting a Business expecially in Nigeria. So what I would advice is ask your Boss to convert your Salary to a Share percentage of the Company.

Lol and u think d Naija employer will agree to that
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by obokuntravels: 6:33pm On May 26, 2023
Bro, start a training program on web development and sell books on web development too. My brother, you will quit that job and become self employ with your finance control by you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by sodeide2013: 6:43pm On May 26, 2023
Contact me or send your contact

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 7:09pm On May 26, 2023
sodeide2013:
Contact me or send your contact
Okay boss
O9O38781279
Sent a dm

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by litaninja(m): 7:23pm On May 26, 2023
If you work for 6 months without getting paid, it simply means you don't need to be paid and there is no incentive for any boss to renumerate you.

Supreme145:
I got a job late last year in a Nigerian startup firm as a web designer on a 150k salary. We initially had a bit of back and forth cos the boss wanted me to work onsite but I insisted on working remotely because I couldn't afford relocation to Lagos at that time.

Over six months down the line and it has been a terrible experience. I've been paid just twice in 6 months, and we have not been working since the middle of last month due to a scarcity of funds. I wonder what would have been my fate if I had relocated to Lagos.

Some months we work for just two weeks or thereabout, I work beyond office hours and even during weekends. There was a period my boss would keep me awake at midnight working. I just had to comply since I haven't been able to get another job and the freelance market isn't smiling either. I'm constantly broke for someone that is supposed to be earning 150k, even though it's not much but it should be able to sustain a single guy.

I'm really confused at this point cos I feel very much unemployed. My boss would read my messages on WhatsApp and lock up. I've asked him to update me on what's going on because I feel jobless and left in the cold. He viewed the message without a reply. I don't know how to proceed from this point and would appreciate any advice now because I am slowly sliding into depression.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by ashraf267(m): 10:40pm On May 26, 2023
Supreme145:
I got a job late last year in a Nigerian startup firm as a web designer on a 150k salary. We initially had a bit of back and forth cos the boss wanted me to work onsite but I insisted on working remotely because I couldn't afford relocation to Lagos at that time.

Over six months down the line and it has been a terrible experience. I've been paid just twice in 6 months, and we have not been working since the middle of last month due to a scarcity of funds. I wonder what would have been my fate if I had relocated to Lagos.

Some months we work for just two weeks or thereabout, I work beyond office hours and even during weekends. There was a period my boss would keep me awake at midnight working. I just had to comply since I haven't been able to get another job and the freelance market isn't smiling either. I'm constantly broke for someone that is supposed to be earning 150k, even though it's not much but it should be able to sustain a single guy.

I'm really confused at this point cos I feel very much unemployed. My boss would read my messages on WhatsApp and lock up. I've asked him to update me on what's going on because I feel jobless and left in the cold. He viewed the message without a reply. I don't know how to proceed from this point and would appreciate any advice now because I am slowly sliding into depression.

Oga quit the job na. After all, there was a way you got the job in the first place. And Good for you its even tech. Quit and focus on improving your technical skills for the next 3 - 6 months, and you'd be fine. It won't be easy no doubts, but at least you won't be working without pay. Package your resume & portfolio, actively push projects to your GitHub and re-fire.
Good luck, boss.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by 360command: 3:29am On May 27, 2023
Supreme145:

let me see the website you have created and what software do you use in the website creation.
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by clockwisereport: 5:14am On May 27, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Lol… 150k a month as a web designer? That literally is £159.23 pence… that is someone’s daily pay as a cleaner in the UK.

How much is a bottle of coke in UK?

How much is minimum wage in UK?
How much is house rent for 2 bed room flat in UK?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 6:06am On May 27, 2023
360command:
let me see the website you have created and what software do you use in the website creation.
Sent a dm
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 6:08am On May 27, 2023
myrrtle:

Send me a message. Let me message let me mentor you! I'm a senior software engineer
Sent you a dm boss
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by myrrtle(m): 6:55am On May 27, 2023
Supreme145:

Sent you a dm boss
seems like something is wrong. I did not get the email. Na to look for another way to reach you be that
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Sprumbaba: 7:18am On May 27, 2023
Supreme145:

I can give you a web project, but I pay per project. You must be good and not be some useless developers I employed from Nairaland in the past.
They get paid upfront and run. None of them can claim I owe them. I can start tagging them here. They are a bunch of lazy developers.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 7:32am On May 27, 2023
myrrtle:
seems like something is wrong. I did not get the email. Na to look for another way to reach you be that
Alright you can reach me O9O38781279
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 7:33am On May 27, 2023
Sprumbaba:

I can give you a web project, but I pay per project. You must be good and not be some useless developers I employed from Nairaland in the past.
They get paid upfront and run. None of them can claim I owe them. I can start tagging them here. They are a bunch of lazy developers.
No issue with that, you can reach me on O9O38781279
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by myrrtle(m): 8:07am On May 27, 2023
Supreme145:

Alright you can reach me O9O38781279
You can delete now. I will reach you on a number ending with 760..

You number not on WhatsApp?
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:14am On May 27, 2023
clockwisereport:

How much is a bottle of coke in UK?

How much is minimum wage in UK?
How much is house rent for 2 bed room flat in UK?

I always say this to people….. this mindset is ignorant. I was on 230k before I left Nigeria and I must say my first 5 months in the UK as a cleaner was waaaaay better than I was for over 3 years in Lagos. When people think the UK is expensive, I laugh. I laugh because there’s a lot of places in the UK you can live that are not expensive. People think of UK and the place that comes to their minds to have a life is London or other expensive places wjen you literally can live in aberdeen (which is where I live.) as a cleaner on £1k(after tax) monthly then, I got a 2 bedroom house on Broomhill Road (view pictures of the neighborhood on google) and the rent was £550 (still is) got a flat mate to take the second room and we split rent in 2 making my share of the rent £275 a month and an extra 50 for light and heating bringing total bill to £325/ month leaving me with £675. Out of that, £100 goes for monthly groceries, £57 goes for my monthly bus ticket leaving me with £518… if I need to flex, £200 will do A WHOLE LOT (and I’m an introvert…. A pack of beer and PS5 or a movie are my flex and pack of beer no even reach £10) and I’ll still have over £300 to save (which is more actually because I no de use up to £200 flex).

Now in UK sef, £300(assuming i kuku flexed with £200) is a lot of money saved. Now convert that 300 pounds to naira… that’s over NGN 280k in savings monthly after all my expenses even if I wan flex……. How many of you can comfortably save that amount after all ur expenses in Nigeria even with ur supposed high paying jobs? (Note: this calculation is on the earning of a cleaner and not a high end job.)

See payslip below…. Also note that this pay came from working less than 4hrs on some days and maximum of 4 hours on some other days….

How many hours a day do you have to work daily every day to earn 150k in Nigeria again?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 10:51am On May 27, 2023
myrrtle:

You can delete now. I will reach you on a number ending with 760..

You number not on WhatsApp?
It's on whatsapp
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Papilagreen: 2:02pm On May 27, 2023
Bro I have a question for you.
Are you a frontend or a backend developer.

You work more on database or ??
I might have a side gig for u so u can keep up with your bills if that's cool.
Hope I get ur response soon.
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Supreme145(m): 5:04pm On May 27, 2023
Papilagreen:

Bro I have a question for you.
Are you a frontend or a backend developer.

You work more on database or ??
I might have a side gig for u so u can keep up with your bills if that's cool.
Hope I get ur response soon.
Frontend sir
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Natural2Heal: 6:32pm On May 27, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:
I always say this to people….. this mindset is ignorant. I was on 230k before I left Nigeria and I must say my first 5 months in the UK as a cleaner was waaaaay better than I was for over 3 years in Lagos. When people think the UK is expensive, I laugh. I laugh because there’s a lot of places in the UK you can live that are not expensive. People think of UK and the place that comes to their minds to have a life is London or other expensive places wjen you literally can live in aberdeen (which is where I live.) as a cleaner on £1k(after tax) monthly then, I got a 2 bedroom house on Broomhill Road (view pictures of the neighborhood on google) and the rent was £550 (still is) got a flat mate to take the second room and we split rent in 2 making my share of the rent £275 a month and an extra 50 for light and heating bringing total bill to £325/ month leaving me with £675. Out of that, £100 goes for monthly groceries, £57 goes for my monthly bus ticket leaving me with £518… if I need to flex, £200 will do A WHOLE LOT (and I’m an introvert…. A pack of beer and PS5 or a movie are my flex and pack of beer no even reach £10) and I’ll still have over £300 to save (which is more actually because I no de use up to £200 flex).

Now in UK sef, £300(assuming i kuku flexed with £200) is a lot of money saved. Now convert that 300 pounds to naira… that’s over NGN 280k in savings monthly after all my expenses even if I wan flex……. How many of you can comfortably save that amount after all ur expenses in Nigeria even with ur supposed high paying jobs? (Note: this calculation is on the earning of a cleaner and not a high end job.)

See payslip below…. Also note that this pay came from working less than 4hrs on some days and maximum of 4 hours on some other days….

How many hours a day do you have to work daily every day to earn 150k in Nigeria again?
The 230k job you left in Nigeria has more dignity and prospect than being a cleaner in UK. Will your kids and wife be proud of you working as a cleaner in UK compared to being a skilled employee in Nigeria? Cleaners are regarded as lower class in every society.

Everything is not about money. Self worth is key.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Papilagreen: 1:05am On May 28, 2023
Supreme145:

Frontend sir
I get u bro.. am looking for a backend dat base administrator to work with my boss team on a project..
But if a spot comes up I sure have u in mind bro.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 2:41am On May 28, 2023
Natural2Heal:

The 230k job you left in Nigeria has more dignity and prospect than being a cleaner in UK. Will your kids and wife be proud of you working as a cleaner in UK compared to being a skilled employee in Nigeria? Cleaners are regarded as lower class in every society.

Everything is not about money. Self worth is key.
you seemed to miss the point by a mile and half. Even a bit more. 1. Nobody looks at your face here.
2. The cleaning job was a way to start earning immediately while I took other career courses to propel me for better jobs.
3. I lived better and earned better whilst working less than I did back home.

The problem with most of you is your ego and it’ll get you nowhere. Money is not the problem yet a web developer is here grovelling for 150k that his employer can barely keep up with paying.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Kobicove(m): 4:51pm On May 28, 2023
Supreme145:

Can't really tell cos I work remotely

I would advise you to start looking for another job
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by Rubyjade: 6:19pm On May 28, 2023
Sprumbaba:

Try LinkedIn and indeed for developers.
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:12pm On May 28, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:

clap for yourself.... now answer this very simple question: CAN YOU SUSTAIN (with your £1K in the UK), THE LIFESTYLE YOU HAD IN NIGERIA EARNING 230K?
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:41am On May 29, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

clap for yourself.... now answer this very simple question: CAN YOU SUSTAIN (with your £1K in the UK), THE LIFESTYLE YOU HAD IN NIGERIA EARNING 230K?
omo I don taya to type plenty. Just know this,
1. I am no longer on the £1k per month job as it was a job I had to do to find my bearing immediately I got here and that lasted just 3 months.
2. In those 3 months, I was able to sort out all my expenses and send more than I ever could to my folks who at one point or the other needed help when in Nigeria on 230k per month.
3. I have my peace of mind and sanity in a country that works.
If you want to remain stagnant in one job that pays less than £300 a month, that’s fine so long as you’re content.
I started from £1k working less than 4hrs a day and I’ve gone up to another better job that pays over £2,500 a month with my expenses still being dsame meaning I now save over 1k per month. Whether in nige or in the UK, that is doing well financially. Thankfully, I don’t have family members that weigh me down.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by solonubinho(m): 8:34am On May 29, 2023
adewale2011:
grin grin grin grin
I don't think you are a Business Man, you are talking like a typical Nigeria worker or salary earner.

As an Entrepreneur most of us start with just idea with zero sum in the pocket...

Entrepreneurs are really crazy people... Na when I join nia I know... You say Budget salary for 3years. grin grin grin

Entrepreneurs are Risk Takers.

Why not go and raise funding with your stupid idea and lack of planning and see how potential investors call you out on your folly. You think investors throw all their money in your idea and your silly ability to take in calculated risk? Talmbout typical Nigerian worker or salary earner smh
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by adewale2011(m): 9:05am On May 29, 2023
That's non of your Business,
Enjoy your Salary (Slavery)

solonubinho:

Why not go and raise funding with your stupid idea and lack of planning and see how potential investors call you out on your folly. You think investors throw all their money in your idea and your silly ability to take in calculated risk? Talmbout typical Nigerian worker or salary earner smh
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:14pm On May 29, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:
1. I am no longer on the £1k per month job as it was a job I had to do to find my bearing immediately I got here and that lasted just 3 months.
2. In those 3 months, I was able to sort out all my expenses and send more than I ever could to my folks who at one point or the other needed help when in Nigeria on 230k per month.
If you want to remain stagnant in one job that pays less than £300 a month, that’s fine so long as you’re content.
I started from £1k working less than 4hrs a day and I’ve gone up to another better job that pays over £2,500 a month with my expenses still being dsame meaning I now save over 1k per month. Whether in nige or in the UK, that is doing well financially. Thankfully, I don’t have family members that weigh me down.

ok sir, now answer this very simple question: CAN YOU SUSTAIN (with your £2.5K monthly in the UK), THE LIFESTYLE YOU HAD IN NIGERIA EARNING 230K monthly?
Re: My Experience Working In A Nigerian Startup by lavylilly: 3:19pm On May 29, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:
What type of comment is this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mainstreet Bank Interview For Experienced Hire / 50k Job With A Fintech Firm Or 30k Job With A Bank / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.