Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,071 members, 7,811,004 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo (5267 Views)

Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo urges Tinubu to curtail corruption in Judiciary / Atiku: 'Six Decades Of A Missing President' By Cyprian Edward-Ekpo / Bayelsa Election: Falana Says Supreme Court Is Wrong, Lacks Jurisdiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Itopalucky(m): 6:55pm On May 28, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_g2NTf76Q

In a recent TV interview on Arise TV, Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo talked about issues bothering the Judiciary; and some of the flaws hampering our justice system.

“My opinion, I know the Supreme Court is a court of Law and a court of policy. It makes Law and it develops the Law and it redefines the Law. It has the power to do that. The Supreme Court of any country across the world (has the power to do that), but I don’t buy the idea of courts having the habit of slamming lawyers with costs. I think it impeaches the principles of the pursuit of Justice.

“The provision of Section 66A and B of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has it that the duty of the court is to entertain grievances and to address it and to give a direction on what to do, and that is how countries are governed, and that is the spirit of the Law.

“When the Justices have the habit of attacking people who approach the court, I think that technically the Judges are encroaching on the inner morality of the Law,” Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo said.

Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo who is also the Author of the book, ‘Law In Tears’ asserts that people go to court over grievances and/or for address of controversies and that hence the Judiciary should redefine its course.

He made it clear that the purpose of the court all over the world is to entertain grievances.

“The purpose of the court is to define what is the position of the law and that in turn gives birth to Justice. I don’t see people going to court as being frivolous,” Ekpo further said.

Ekpo said further that accusing litigants of being frivolous is another way of discouraging litigation.

“Litigation is not an offense, it is not an abnormality. Litigation is a right of all citizens,” Ekpo said.

He spoke about his book titled ‘Law in tears’ in which he addressed the corrupt nature of the Judiciary.

He condemned the idea of blackmailing Judges via any means whatsoever as he said it is not common in civilized countries.

“The Judiciary has a problem, let’s face the truth, the Nigerian Judiciary has constituted itself as an odium of the country,” Ekpo said.

He lamented that there are judgements one will read and one will wonder how the Judge who passed the judgement became a Judge.

He lamented that many at times Judges are not hired to the bench on account of merit but on account of partisan connection or connection to highly-placed people within the Nigeria Judicial Council (NJC).

Attached above is the YouTube link to the interview.

Source: https://2023.ng/the-purpose-of-the-court-is-to-define-the-position-of-the-law-prof-cyprian-edward-ekpo/

2 Likes

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by LeoDeKing: 7:04pm On May 28, 2023
grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by PrincessofDSS(f): 7:04pm On May 28, 2023
Law in Tears“

Will come back to this later,

3 Likes

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by jahsharon: 7:20pm On May 28, 2023
Let him go to Court with useless frivolous case, he will be fined heavily. If he doesn’t have money to pay, his father’s house will be confiscated and sold at give away to offset the court fine.

Useless dog eater. Oloshi Oloriburuku somebody

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Pwettylinda(f): 8:04am On May 29, 2023
Theifnubuu

4 Likes

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by NOC1(m): 8:05am On May 29, 2023
Nigeria have a very long way to go, our judicial system is so poor.

1 Like

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by SHINJA: 8:05am On May 29, 2023
jahsharon:
Let him go to Court with useless frivolous case, he will be fined heavily. If he doesn’t have money to pay, his father’s house will be confiscated and sold at give away to offset the court fine.

Abdul the head slammer calm down

16 Likes

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by simfrost90210: 8:05am On May 29, 2023
🤣🤣🤣 that's if they'll define that position nah, dis one wey money dey define am for dem😅
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Seagodess(f): 8:06am On May 29, 2023
There won't be any inuguration today.. make una chillax
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by N3TRAL: 8:06am On May 29, 2023
The judges are mandated to impose a fine on those who bring frivolous cases before them for adjudication.

Lawyers are expected to advise their clients before instituting matters.

Judges have 100s of cases of innocent suspects in prison applying for bail they should attend to but you file a worthless and unintelligent suit with only nuisance value and expect them to clap for you?

What about the money your opponent pays to Lawyers to appear in court because you filed a case that doesn't make sense? Or you think the lawyers represent them free of charge?

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by haybhi1(m): 8:06am On May 29, 2023
Dear BATists, here's one thing you should know. At this point and going forward, let there be no time you're aiming a dig or throwing jibe at Obidients anymore. This will help us to avoid becoming what their description truly defines, 'utter nuisance.' And we're more than that.

Insofar as the shot has hit the target, Tinubu is already instated against all their wishes. If they decide to continue constituting public nuisance, let them use all energy in the world to do that, we don't have that luxury to join them anymore. Their wry whining can continue for all they want, we should no longer pay attention to anything unproductive.

Baba's time shall favour us.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Judolisco(m): 8:07am On May 29, 2023
That's what some people don't understand..... Jst like d 25% case of d FCT, I'm expecting the court to place a huge fine on the petitioner, for not using common sense... Even primary sch pupils know that FCT carries no special privileges

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:07am On May 29, 2023
Itopalucky:

In a recent TV interview on Arise TV, Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo talked about issues bothering the Judiciary; and some of the flaws hampering our justice system.

“My opinion, I know the Supreme Court is a court of Law and a court of policy. It makes Law and it develops the Law and it redefines the Law. It has the power to do that. The Supreme Court of any country across the world (has the power to do that), but I don’t buy the idea of courts having the habit of slamming lawyers with costs. I think it impeaches the principles of the pursuit of Justice.

“The provision of Section 66A and B of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has it that the duty of the court is to entertain grievances and to address it and to give a direction on what to do, and that is how countries are governed, and that is the spirit of the Law.

“When the Justices have the habit of attacking people who approach the court, I think that technically the Judges are encroaching on the inner morality of the Law,” Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo said.

Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo who is also the Author of the book, Law Obidients In Tears’ asserts that people go to court over grievances and/or for address of controversies and that hence the Judiciary should redefine its course.

He made it clear that the purpose of the court all over the world is to entertain grievances.

“The purpose of the court is to define what is the position of the law and that in turn gives birth to Justice. I don’t see people going to court as being frivolous,” Ekpo further said.

Ekpo said further that accusing litigants of being frivolous is another way of discouraging litigation.

“Litigation is not an offense, it is not an abnormality. Litigation is a right of all citizens,” Ekpo said.

He spoke about his book titled ‘Law in tears’ in which he addressed the corrupt nature of the Judiciary.

He condemned the idea of blackmailing Judges via any means whatsoever as he said it is not common in civilized countries.

“The Judiciary has a problem, let’s face the truth, the Nigerian Judiciary has constituted itself as an odium of the country,” Ekpo said.

He lamented that there are judgements one will read and one will wonder how the Judge who passed the judgement became a Judge.

He lamented that many at times Judges are not hired to the bench on account of merit but on account of partisan connection or connection to highly-placed people within the Nigeria Judicial Council (NJC).

Source: https://2023.ng/the-purpose-of-the-court-is-to-define-the-position-of-the-law-prof-cyprian-edward-ekpo/
Cry

Even the white witches & wizard said they are gracing the event.. Sea goddess better find attire too n mobilize ur group

3 Likes

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Goodlady(f): 8:07am On May 29, 2023
Thought I was going to read or listen to the 25% votebin Abuja debacle.
That part of the electoral constitution needs clarification.
Normally, if a presidential candidate is an indigene of FCT and he/she's popular, the person ll win Abuja and may not do well elsewhere. Will the person be declared winner?
We need clarity. And lastly, there are lacunas in the 1999 constitution that's appearing like Sharia law is greater than the law of the federal republic of Nigeria.
That's what's given some northern vagabonds fuel to kill for religious purpose.
The Deborah Samuel issue is still fresh!
Is Muhammad a Nigerian citizen some demons are fighting for that made them kill the girl?
All these needs clarification for long lasting peace!

1 Like

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Iamgrey5(m): 8:08am On May 29, 2023
When APC lawyers were slammed with fines at the supreme court two years ago on the Bayelsa case, where was this professor?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:08am On May 29, 2023
Fining pple is very ok... Why file a frivolous case and waste the time of court cos u can always approach court... Just like pple hoping court cancel elections cos of one nonsense 25 percent Abuja issue...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Nobody: 8:08am On May 29, 2023
Seagodess:
No be "Tinubu won't win election again"?🤣
If Dem born you well no deactivate after today's inauguration. Be like na princeoflagos alternate account be this.
Bloody wailer!🤣

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by babyfaceafrica: 8:08am On May 29, 2023
He is talking nansense.. Some lawyers know their case will not fly, but because of greed, they will still bring it to court. Why are you wasting the courts time? It's just like arguing blindly

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by simfrost90210: 8:09am On May 29, 2023
Seagodess:

🙄🙄
I don't actually know what gives y'all this mindset but i seriously wish there won't be any inauguration today.. i'm not scared about Tinubu's government but the presence of Kashim Shettima, his vice, sends shivers down my spine everytime.. he's a very bad man😒😒
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by THeUNIFIER: 8:10am On May 29, 2023
LeoDeKing:
grin

I will be watching you
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Nightwolf1: 8:11am On May 29, 2023
jahsharon:

That's a Prof speaking not some poorly trained thîefnubu's dog on drugs like you.🤡
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Som497: 8:11am On May 29, 2023
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by YOUTUBE9ja(m): 8:12am On May 29, 2023
May this new administration favor all 🙏. But then we all need to get multiple streams of income just Incase, why not start a celebrity gossip channel on YouTube and earn in dollars subsequently. I can teach and mentor you, mention me ASAP, hold your 1k o. Very important.

1 Like

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by StormpyBee: 8:13am On May 29, 2023
jahsharon:

Shey the man tell you say him be dog eater? Idiota, you lack manners, who in your family is even a doctor, less prof? you just open your smelling mouth waaaaaaaaa! Vomit rubbish.

Dog eater because he is from Akwa Ibom/Cross River? So una fellow head slammers no dey chop dog for Ondo and Ekiti?

#Ifiot!
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by olahero(m): 8:23am On May 29, 2023
grin
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Jalaw: 8:31am On May 29, 2023
jahsharon:

Snake eater shaming a dog eater, wonderful!
Remove the log from your eyes bro
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by victorsola: 8:31am On May 29, 2023
Itopalucky:

Prof. Cyprian Edward-Ekpo who is also the Author of the book, ‘Law In Tears’ asserts that people go to court over grievances and/or for address of controversies and that hence the Judiciary should redefine its course.

most should also understand and read very well before taken a case that has already been worked on to the court . Because u have a right does not give right to make a mess of the court . I really like the idea of fine so that u think twice before bringing rubish case. Let ur case be valid and not based on emotions.

1 Like

Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by yankison(m): 9:03am On May 29, 2023
jahsharon:

You are the fool and a idiot for that matter .. You people seem to love wallowing in wrong doings . how could you find fault in what the Prof said ...YOU ARE THE OLORIBURUKU HERE
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by xjiggy: 10:06am On May 29, 2023
Many lawyers take cases to court not to get justice but to fleece their clients. Why would a lawyer take a case that is status barred to court? To achieve what? Take for example the politician/lawyer that came to court to stop Tinubu inauguration base on the assumption that Buhari cannot handover to Any candidate since he (Ambrose Owuru) is the rightfull winner in 2019. The politician, who is a lawyer, still went ahead and filed the case knowing the 180 days to contest the election results has elapsed. The fines are deterrent to those lawyers who wish to waste the courts time and resources. In short, i recommend those set of lawyers license be suspended for 1yr.
Re: The purpose of the court is to define the position of the Law – Prof Edward-Ekpo by Halexandah: 11:08am On May 29, 2023
U pple r so dull by thinking it's only southeasterners dnt want tinubu presidency,jst like buhari all the reasonable pple dnt want him

(1) (2) (Reply)

11 Cities Owned By The Palestine And The 3 Cities That Hamas Are Demanding For. / Nigeria At 54! 5 Things You May Not Know About Nigeria / Anambra Is 70% Igala And 15% Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.