Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,663 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? (5924 Views)

Should I Allow My Wife To Leave Our 4 Month-Old-Baby And Start Work? / Should I Allow My Wife Go? / Parents Force 8years-old Daughter To Watch Them Making Love And Lick Their Priva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
^^^very True.
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by sunnshyn(f): 1:21pm On Feb 27, 2013
By all means let her go. The world is changing...who knows you may be raising a successful entrepreneur.

Allow her start early...you'll be so glad you did when you see your daughter in the next 12 years doing well and well above her peers...

The advantages of starting early outweighs the disadvantages...if maybe she eventually decides on a career change later in life and all that, little or no time would have been wasted.

I was ready for Uni in my case at 15, already passed waec-one sitting with very good grades and JAMB but had to wait for my darling elder bro who was waiting to pass Physics and Chemistry at the time...stayed home for 3yrs cry i didnt mind much sha, as i love my bro....but i still kinda wish i had started very early!
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Feb 27, 2013
^^^stayed home for 3years?!
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Ndipe(m): 11:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
Dont delay her progress, at the same time, 8 years old is too young to be in boarding house. Cant she be a daystudent?
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by 9jamum(f): 1:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you all for still commenting on this post. I took the decision and allowed her go to secondary school. She is doing fine and coping well. I got her an extra. Classes teacher at home- a female. I also got a housekeeper to assist at home. Its been smooth thus far.

By the way, because she is so cute and pretty she was made the official Queen of her school.
Thank you everyone.

1 Like

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by blazingtrain: 3:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
cool
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by zik4ever: 8:55pm On Jan 16, 2021
9jamum:
Thank you all for still commenting on this post. I took the decision and allowed her go to secondary school. She is doing fine and coping well. I got her an extra. Classes teacher at home- a female. I also got a housekeeper to assist at home. Its been smooth thus far.

By the way, because she is so cute and pretty she was made the official Queen of her school.
Thank you everyone.
Waoh! This is great. She must be in the university now?

1 Like

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by adanny01(m): 3:05pm On Jan 17, 2021
How's she doing now
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Teleprompter(f): 5:45pm On Jan 17, 2021
Congrats on your childs success. Being an academic genius is not enough to survive in real life. There is time for everything.

She is too young. For now, it might feel good that she is ahead of her age mates. How about the bigger picture?

I gained admission into the university from S. S.2 .My parents and friends were proud of me...
Hmmm, I was so naive and immature and I didn't do as well as I was supposed to. At the end of the day, I have realised that it is not how soon but how well.

What would your child gain by being the youngest in her class?
I'm developed countries, she might just be in grade 3 and we know those countries have got it together.

Don't be in a hurry. She would still pass even next year. It is good to know that she did the exam and passed. To continue to be the best, she must not be in a hurry. Time is a leveller after all.

2 Likes

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Karleb(m): 7:03pm On Jan 17, 2021
Teleprompter:
Congrats on your childs success. Being an academic genius is not enough to survive in real life. There is time for everything.

She is too young. For now, it might feel good that she is ahead of her age mates. How about the bigger picture?

I gained admission into the university from S. S.2 .My parents and friends were proud of me...
Hmmm, I was so naive and immature and I didn't do as well as I was supposed to. At the end of the day, I have realised that it is not how soon but how well.

What would your child gain by being the youngest in her class?
I'm developed countries, she might just be in grade 3 and we know those countries have got it together.

Don't be in a hurry. She would still pass even next year. It is good to know that she did the exam and passed. To continue to be the best, she must not be in a hurry. Time is a leveller after all.

Madam, calm down!

By now, the girl should be 18.
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Oktane: 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2021
9jamum:
This should be a joyous news for some mothers with special daughters like mine.  I am confused. My daughter passed the common entrance into JSS 1, should i allow her go off to secondary school? Isn't she too young?

You said it right with the bolded. It's all about the joy of the mother. Shouldn't it be what is in the best interest of the child?

What's the hurry about anyway?
8 years for secondary school is certainly overdoing it.

Drop your ego and you will see clearly that no child should in Secondary School by age 8 and the best time to get into university is between 16 and 18. At that point the child is more mature and discerning.

Just my opinion though.

By the way I am also blessed with a super smart daughter too and I have resisted the pressure for her to move faster than her peers. She is in primary 4 now and will do Primary 6 no matter the pressure the mother mounts on us.

Her older brothers also passed through the same processes d no regrets so far.

Best wishes to your smart Princess.

1 Like

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Blessingisrael: 7:50pm On Jan 17, 2021
9jamum:
This should be a joyous news for some mothers with special daughters like mine.  I am confused. My daughter passed the common entrance into JSS 1, should i allow her go off to secondary school? Isn't she too young?

you have done well by allowing her test the waters of writing entrance exams. please leave it at that and let her graduate from primary school before moving on. life isn't a race.
I'm a teacher, I can boldly tell you that you will be glad you let her be. Nigerians are in the business of pushing kids , they take pride in how young the child is amongst her "supposed" peers, forgetting is it not all about the appearance, which could also be affected, but failing to consider the psychological well being and maturity and readiness of that child.

teach your daughter that in life we grow in steps.

1 Like

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Oktane: 8:10pm On Jan 17, 2021
Blessingisrael:

you have done well by allowing her test the waters of writing entrance exams. please leave it at that and let her graduate from primary school before moving on. life isn't a race.
I'm a teacher, I can boldly tell you that you will be glad you let her be. Nigerians are in the business of pushing kids , they take pride in how young the child is amongst her "supposed" peers, forgetting is it not all about the appearance, which could also be affected, but failing to consider the psychological well being and maturity and readiness of that child.

teach your daughter that in life we grow in steps.

Well said Madam.

But then no surprises here. You are thoroughbred professional and also proud of your contributions to the present and the future.

May your reward start here on earth and continue in the afterlife.
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by ptoall1000: 9:55pm On Jan 17, 2021
Dear Lord, 8 year old in secondary school? Where are you running to? My 9 yr old is in pry 5 and i think she s still early. Let the kid develop all round, not only education pls.
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by IyaTola: 10:50pm On Jan 17, 2021
This was when NL was lit just take a look at the comment from page one till the time she came back to testify.
Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by Blessingisrael: 11:13pm On Jan 17, 2021
9jamum:

just saw that is an old post. your daughter should be a "sisi eko" now. how is she faring academically and what's her social life like? All best to her

1 Like

Re: Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? by adanny01(m): 11:35am On Jan 19, 2021
ptoall1000:
Dear Lord, 8 year old in secondary school? Where are you running to? My 9 yr old is in pry 5 and i think she s still early. Let the kid develop all round, not only education pls.

But really, a 9yr old in primary 5 and the op's 8yr in primary 4 is the same. That means Nursery 1 at 2yrs. Over 50% of kids aged 2 are still "tata". Do you know that the best age to stop breastfeeding is 2yrs. What then is prenursery and day care?

Recommended school age is 6-12yrs every where in the world with the earliest 5-11yrs

We are still very guilty of pushing kids.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suicide On My Mind / I Need The Opinions Of Sane And Mature Men And Women Here. Please! / To Live With Newlyweds: Sister Or Brother In-Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.