Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 (45611 Views)

Nigeria Devalues Naira In Bid To Attract Foreign Investors - Financial Times / CBN Further Devalues Naira, Now N411 To Dollar / Report Suggests CBN Devalues Naira By 15% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by ChiefS(m): 10:37am On Jun 01, 2023
emerged01:

I belong to this guy school of thought. Those that are benefitting in the gap between official rate and black market are losing already and they are part of the people that create scarcity.

This is not totally true as it will affect electronic payments. i the past we did electronic payments at the official rate of 437 to a dollar. Now it will be 630.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by denzel231: 10:41am On Jun 01, 2023
domDva:
BAT is not here to smile, one thing you cannot take away from him is his capacity to take tough decisions, something that Buhari completely lacked.
oga shut up e
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by omoluka: 10:43am On Jun 01, 2023
WHITELIGHTER:
Hopefully our banks should start allowing us order from AliExpress directly
Same thoughts
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by LeopardX: 10:46am On Jun 01, 2023
coputa:
Elumelu should be appointed as the CBN governor,Emefailure should not be retrained.
he will not agree. Do you know how much he's making in the private sector per annum? With UBA, Heirs Holding, Transcorps Inc, and most recently, the takeover of Afam power station and Abuja Disco. All of which he's the majority shareholder. Lol.

But he studied Economics Sha and has a great wealth of 'Nigerian' experience, so he'll definitely be a great fit for the job.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by LeopardX: 10:50am On Jun 01, 2023
RomanGreen:

It's not only fuel this country imports [b]besides Dangote alone won't be able to meet local demands [/b]and trust that other importers would want to remain in business. Dollar will still be needed for other products being imported. Until we have an economy largely dependent on local production, the demand for dollar will continue, whatever Tinubu is doing now will only be temporary, only the natural forces of production, demand supply will strengthen the naira, let's hope this is matched with enabling environment for local businesses and production especially to thrive else it will all be effort in futility
At full capacity dangote refinery will meet local demand. 650,000 BPD is not a joke.

However, it might take up to 3 years before it reach that level, except they want to rush it which is not advisable.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by Bizibi(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2023
coputa:
Elumelu should be appointed as the CBN governor,Emefailure should not be retrained.
elumelu should not near that sit. It will be from frying pan to fire.....

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:53am On Jun 01, 2023
Mynd44:
So basically, government will reduce taking foreign loans to fund subsidy
Reduce the amount of FOREX used to defend the Naira

And effectively free up more funds for government spending. All these will be good if the government uses the freed up funds on infrastructure and people oriented policies.

Interesting times ahead
Aswear if official CBN rate is equal (=) to parallel rate, there will be plenty Forex, dollars go dey yafun yafun, only the real people that need the dollar will demand for it.

Any solution apart from this will always turn out to be fruitless and futile.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by GetSenseNow: 10:54am On Jun 01, 2023
domDva:
BAT is not here to smile, one thing you cannot take away from him is his capacity to take tough decisions, something that Buhari completely lacked.
CBN just released a report that they didn't devalue anything. What'll you say now?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by omoluka: 11:01am On Jun 01, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Where? I'd like to buy some
I know a guy buying at 750 in Lagos. I'd resale to him
He is right, i just bought USD too at 725

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by coputa(m): 11:07am On Jun 01, 2023
Bizibi:
why
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by ceemon(m): 11:12am On Jun 01, 2023
domDva:

https://dailytrust.com/exclusive-cbn-devalues-naira-to-630-1/

CBN has sent out a rebuttal. Please take note accordingly.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PoliteActivist: 11:21am On Jun 01, 2023
omoluka:

He is right, i just bought USD too at 725

I was lucky. I bought for 760 on Thursday. Sold for 775 on Friday. Then again sold for 760 before it started falling. Now I just checked. See below

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PoliteActivist: 11:27am On Jun 01, 2023
garfield1:

We have sir.gej once removed it fully and price went up to 140 before rlreducing it by half to 97 naira.once govt plans to remove it,they will be pressures for them not to.this is the best way to remove it sir

This is not theory. It is people's lives. Prices of all products and services will rise accross the board, while wage earners and those marginally surviving stay the same!
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by Ahmed0336(m): 11:35am On Jun 01, 2023
michoim:

Is a pity, your type exist in this country...
Tell me who you supported during the last election and I will send you your candidate's stand on subsidy removal. Hypocrite undecided
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by garfield1: 11:39am On Jun 01, 2023
PoliteActivist:

This is not theory. It is people's lives. Prices of all products and services will rise accross the board, while wage earners and those marginally surviving stay the same!

My brother,we either remove it or continue borrowing.for how long shall we keep paying for consumption while neglecting development?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by justmi1: 11:39am On Jun 01, 2023
Hotwest:
Don't think you are smart and others dont know what they are saying . Save your data also and be humble

Don't even sound like Nigeria is just starting up today
But the new administration just started, so let's be patient. We are so negative and just want to complain and bring the country down like we are the only country that has not gotten things sorted out.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PoliteActivist: 11:43am On Jun 01, 2023
garfield1:

My brother,we either remove it or continue borrowing.for how long shall we keep paying for consumption while neglecting development?

You do it as below. But anyway PBT has walked it back, said he never meant subsidy will be removed immediately

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by garfield1: 11:47am On Jun 01, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You do it as below. But anyway PBT has walked it back, said he never meant subsidy will be removed immediately

He wanted it removed and it has been removed.next is unified exchange rate.difficult decisions must be taken my brother,buhari messed things up and tinubu is in a tight corner.the easiest way is to borrow

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by XAUBulls: 12:25pm On Jun 01, 2023
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by OChimex: 12:30pm On Jun 01, 2023
domDva:

I hope you are not crying while typing this 😂
Go mark this words.
You don’t just wake up and start taking decisions without providing things to cushion tue effects of that harsh decisions.
Tinibu will take these hastily stupid decisions that will complicate and worsen the sufferings of Nigeria sotee him go even dey confuse on how to solve the problems created

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by yahoodetector: 12:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
BrownSugq:
LMAO 😂
Too many morons on this Nairaland.
They are hailing BAT for this irrational devaluation not knowing that Naira is about to hit the root in the parallel market.
Expect Naira at 1,000/$ by today evening

LMAO 😂

Don't mind the clowns
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by Segzy19: 12:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
If you miss Buhari... Go to Daura, you will find him there
Stop disturbing us

dedonfranco:
We go miss Buhari very soon.......God forbid.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PGS21: 12:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
Civetcat:
This is exactly one of obasanjo’s first move when he came to power . Tinubu is ticking along nicely. He is front loading all the shocks and the pain will be unbearable at first . But handled properly ,Nigerians will reap all the benefits.
The funny thing is that Nigerian were already paying a higher price for over 10 years .
My advice for Tinubu’s communications team is that they are not doing their job properly.Nigeria is not Lagos where you have a large professional class who understand the vagaries of economics. Even Lagos is full of dimwits.
There is a need to communicate policies, the reason for , the effects and its potential benefits directly to the populace.Go to the hinterland and market squares . Communicate directly with the people .
Get their buy ins . Look for quick easy wins . FVCK palliatives . Use that money and import 50000 cheap tractors from china and distribute them to farmers cooperatives.
Get enough railway rolling stocks on the train lines ASAP and build agriculture transportation and distribution hubs around the lines .
This can be achieved within 12 months . Tell those useless flyover, event center and street light building governors to invest state funds in areas of competitive advantage. For most , it is agriculture.
Absolutely ignore all those so called Harvard agricultural experts who have never stepped on a farm for one day in their lives with their yeye “cooking pot” and “telephone for farmers”programs of the past . Face the reality on the ground and not some half baked classroom theories.

You nailed it. However, this is where independent LG administrations would have greatly thrived. farmers, insecurity, etc all reside in the various local communities. Hope the 10th NASS would be able to secure passage for Local Govt financial autonomy.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by peculiar2233: 12:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
BrownSugq:
LMAO 😂
Too many morons on this Nairaland.
They are hailing BAT for this irrational devaluation not knowing that Naira is about to hit the root in the parallel market.
Expect Naira at 1,000/$ by today evening

LMAO 😂
You are correct. Many of them are lunat*c but don't be surprised. Why? See this 👇🏽

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by baralatie(m): 12:47pm On Jun 01, 2023
Bizibi:
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PoliteActivist: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
garfield1:

He wanted it removed and it has been removed.next is unified exchange rate.difficult decisions must be taken my brother,buhari messed things up and tinubu is in a tight corner.the easiest way is to borrow

See below

Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by garfield1: 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
PoliteActivist:

See below
Guy,what exactly is your problem? How are you reasoning? Why the childish repetition? I hate rubbish
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by Yusufisraelj(m): 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2023
dedonfranco:
We go miss Buhari very soon.......God forbid.

This news is not true, CBN has issued a statement to this effect.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by tnerro1(m): 2:17pm On Jun 01, 2023
Fuel subsidy romoval…..check

Next is bureau de change operators and their collaborators in CBN killing the economy, tinubu should send them back to farming

Next should be security issues, let his retire the old ones and get a fresh set of security gurus to run the security agencies

We are now moving forward unlike the last administration

P.s let him look at the border closures next after security
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by PoliteActivist: 2:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
garfield1:

Guy,what exactly is your problem? How are you reasoning? Why the childish repetition? I hate rubbish

You the one with the problem "guy"! What repetition??
Just showed you clearly the presidency came out with that PBT didn't mean subsidy would be removed immediately. Just as CBN just came out with they never devalued the naira!
Let's hope this is not another PMB cacophony!
Re: CBN Devalues Naira To 630/$1 by garfield1: 2:34pm On Jun 01, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You the one with the problem "guy"! What repetition??
Just showed you clearly the presidency came out with that PBT didn't mean subsidy would be removed immediately. Just as CBN just came out with they never devalued the naira!

Oga,nnpc has fully removed subsidy.whatever is being said is an afterthought,look at the actions and forget media talks my friens

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss / The War Between GTBank And Innoson Motors Explained By Adeyanju Deji / Crowd Forces Port-Harcourt Mall To Shut Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.