Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,487 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? (1640 Views)

Did Humans Evolve From Apes Or Are Humans Apes? / Matter And Mind / Is Matter And Energy Eternal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 1:19pm On Jun 04, 2023
Let's adopt the definition that the mind is the part of us consisting of the union of our
Will = ability to choose amongst options
Emotion = ability to feel non physical feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
Intellect. = ability to store information, process information and derive meaningful course of action from such available information

If according to a vast majority of Atheists, EVERYTHING real is a product of Physics and Chemistry, the Question I'll like to ask is
1. Is the mind of a human being REAL or imaginary?
2. Is the MIND of a person a product of Physics and Chemistry?
3. If it is, how can we objectively prove that our memory and intelligence is a real? Are their any physical quantities to use in measuring the mind?

1 Like

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by OnlineInLaw(m): 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2023
"For we walk by faith and not by sight"
In addition to this verse, there are a lot of things that can't be biblically proven but yet we still believe in it.
So science can bring up their big bang or whatever bullish theories they come up with, and they would even being evidence that'll make a firm believer doubt their faith, but as an avid christian, we know the truth and we stand by the truth(evidence or not).
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 1:35pm On Jun 04, 2023
OnlineInLaw:
"For we walk by faith and not by sight"
In addition to this verse, there are a lot of things that can't be biblically proven but yet we still believe in it.
So science can bring up their big bang or whatever bullish theories they come up with, and they would even being evidence that'll make a firm believer doubt their faith, but as an avid christian, we know the truth and we stand by the truth(evidence or not).

Only people who try to eliminate God and the Unseen from the equation of the universe and all it contains are the ones in trouble.

As Christians, we know that God, the invisible Uncaused First-Cause of Everything made the Universe and ALL it contains and represent: including our mind. We understand our limitations as physical Beings and we ascribe Glory to Him who Eternally remain the Source and Sustenance of ALL.

2Cor 4:18:
"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 8:55am On Jun 05, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnoIf2NwaRY

Researchers say there may be Consciousness after death
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by MightySparrow: 9:34am On Jun 05, 2023
TenQ:

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Jas.2.26

Flesh and it's chemicals are connected by the spirit. At the exit of the spirit, the body and the chemicals become useless.
Before death, human body is a complex machine working on chemicals and electricity.

2 Likes

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 11:36am On Jun 05, 2023
MightySparrow:

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Jas.2.26

Flesh and it's chemicals are connected by the spirit. At the exit of the spirit, the body and the chemicals become useless.
Before death, human body is a complex machine working on chemicals and electricity.
I agree with you.

The Soul/Spirit seems to be like the SOFTWARE that drive the hardware of our bodies.

It would be stupidity for a scientist to claim that electrons control the Computer while denying the presence of a programmed software. The fact that he is able to show that "feeding electrons" into a particular pin of a chip results in the VDU flickering or speaking squalling doesn't prove anything.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by MightySparrow: 1:25pm On Jun 05, 2023
TenQ:

I agree with you.

The Soul/Spirit seems to be like the SOFTWARE that drive the hardware of our bodies.

It would be stupidity for a scientist to claim that electrons control the Computer while denying the presence of a programmed software. The fact that he is able to show that "feeding electrons" into a particular pin of a chip results in the VDU flickering or speaking squalling doesn't prove anything.

I believe that there are many mysteries out there beyond science.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by EmperorHarry: 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2023
TenQ:
Let's adopt the definition that the mind is the part of us consisting of the union of our
Will = ability to choose amongst options
Emotion = ability to feel non physical feeling deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
Intellect. = ability to store information, process information and derive meaningful course of action from such available information

If according to a vast majority of Atheists, EVERYTHING real is a product of Physics and Chemistry, the Question I'll like to ask is
3. If it is, how can we objectively prove that our memory and intelligence is a real? Are their any physical quantities to use in measuring the mind?
By observation, the brain is the channel for all conciousness,cognition,actions and information processing and storage. Any impediments to it's full functionality is consequential. The brain upon dissection comprises of neurons,neural links,grey and white matter. So essentially matter. If the brain is damaged,proper functioning of the human affected is impossible,therefore if brain on which all concious processes depends on is majorly composed of matter,the mind a phenomenon dependent on brain activity must be physical(occam's razor). We don't just currently have the entire blueprint for how the mind is a product of the material brain.
A simple analogy to clarify, Humans are beings that exist on a planet called earth,products of years of evolution. How then did this thing called human come to be? We have different theories but it's illogical to dispute whether not the human is a product of the observable material universe because the human existence is predicated on the existence of the universe.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 2:35pm On Jun 05, 2023
MightySparrow:

I believe that there are many mysteries out there beyond science.
Of course, people controlled by Satan will do everything to eleminating God out of the Equation of life and Existence. Unfortunately, like fractals, God has made it that the more we know the less we know as what is yet to be known increases exponentially.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2023
EmperorHarry:

By observation, the brain is the channel for all conciousness,cognition,actions and information processing and storage. Any impediments to it's full functionality is consequential. The brain upon dissection comprises of neurons,neural links,grey and white matter. So essentially matter. If the brain is damaged,proper functioning of the human affected is impossible,therefore if brain on which all concious processes depends on is majorly composed of matter,the mind a phenomenon dependent on brain activity must be physical(occam's razor). We don't just currently have the entire blueprint for how the mind is a product of the material brain.
A simple analogy to clarify, Humans are beings that exist on a planet called earth,products of years of evolution. How then did this thing called human come to be? We have different theories but it's illogical to dispute whether not the human is a product of the observable material universe because the human existence is predicated on the existence of the universe.
I'll like to see the brain as the CPU+ROM+HDD of a computer. Even though this is the interface between the hardware of the computer and power running it, the soul of the computer is the union of the System and Application Programs in the system.

So also, the brain and the central nervous system interface between Energy and the Body, the Soul is the System and Application Programs that run it.

Just as a computer program is intangible, the soul is not tangible.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by A001: 6:51am On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

The mind is real.
TenQ:

No. It's the other way round: Physics and Chemistry are products of the mind.
TenQ:

The mind evolves from energy. To measure the mind, we need to understand consciousness and the brain deeply.

At the moment, the scientific understanding of consciousness is low. Even though consciousness is part of Nature, physicists speak of the “physical world,” tacitly excluding from any mention in our physics models such things as pain and pleasure. This is incomplete Physics.

Based on my own line of thought, I posit that consciousness is fundamental to the Universe. It's one of the fundamental interactions in our Universe.

In other words, consciousness is a fundamental force, like others such as the strong force, the electromagnetic force, the weak force, and gravity.

All around us, we've consciousness fields, which exist in various distributions in the Universe -- in animals (such as humans), plants, microbes, planets, stars, and others.

Using the Sentonic Theory of Fundamental Consciousness (STFC) proposed by NASA scientist Karl Sipfle, the consciousness field is a vector field called a sentonic field propagated by sentons, which are a massless boson of spin 1. The key to measuring the mind lies in understanding how the consciousness field interacts with other vector fields generated by the other fundamental forces, especially in the brain.

I believe we'll record scientific breakthroughs in this area in our lifetime.

TenQ:

I posit consciousness exists after death just like scientists such as Einstein and others stated. I regard death as a transition or translation of consciousness to other dimensions or realms of existence.

When you see the Universe as a block, the past, present, and future all exist at once. Our consciousness or soul is our core and exists in all dimensions or realms at once.

It's all relativistic: Time, viewed from our frame of reference (perception), moves forward only in one direction, but from the frame of a photon, time doesn't exist at all meaning the past, present and future are one.

Without a body or vessel, our consciousness operates in this photonic frame, but when consciousness interacts with matter such as the human body in this tiny part of the Universe we're, it's restricted.

People, who we think are dead, aren't really dead but are existing in other fragments of time in other dimensions and other forms in the Universe because the total energy in the Universe is constant, and from the principle of energy conservation, energy cannot be created nor destroyed but can be converted from one form to the other.

When we understand consciousness deeply, we'll be able to interact with people we call dead existing in other time fragments. In other words, time travel will be possible.

Consciousness, which is purely energy and fundamental to the universe, doesn't really die but changes from one form to the other during its evolution over time.

As Einstein stated: "People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. Time, in other words, he said, is an illusion."

It's the brain that creates the illusion of time and space for us.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 7:40am On Jun 06, 2023
A001:

The mind is real.

No. It's the other way round: Physics and Chemistry are products of the mind.

The mind evolves from energy. To measure the mind, we need to understand consciousness and the brain deeply.

At the moment, the scientific understanding of consciousness is low. Even though consciousness is part of Nature, physicists speak of the “physical world,” tacitly excluding from any mention in our physics models such things as pain and pleasure. This is incomplete Physics.

Based on my own line of thought, I posit that consciousness is fundamental to the Universe. It's one of the fundamental interactions in our Universe.

In other words, consciousness is a fundamental force, like others such as the strong force, the electromagnetic force, the weak force, and gravity.

All around us, we've consciousness fields, which exist in various distributions in the Universe -- in animals (such as humans), plants, microbes, planets, stars, and others.

Using the Sentonic Theory of Fundamental Consciousness (STFC) proposed by NASA scientist Karl Sipfle, the consciousness field is a vector field called a sentonic field propagated by sentons, which are a massless boson of spin 1. The key to measuring the mind lies in understanding how the consciousness field interacts with other vector fields generated by the other fundamental forces, especially in the brain.

I believe we'll record scientific breakthroughs in this area in our lifetime.

I posit consciousness exists after death just like scientists such as Einstein and others stated. I regard death as a transition or translation of consciousness to other dimensions or realms of existence.

When you see the Universe as a block, the past, present, and future all exist at once. Our consciousness or soul is our core and exists in all dimensions or realms at once.

It's all relativistic: Time, viewed from our frame of reference (perception), moves forward only in one direction, but from the frame of a photon, time doesn't exist at all meaning the past, present and future are one.

Without a body or vessel, our consciousness operates in this photonic frame, but when consciousness interacts with matter such as the human body in this tiny part of the Universe we're, it's restricted.

People, who we think are dead, aren't really dead but are existing in other fragments of time in other dimensions and other forms in the Universe because the total energy in the Universe is constant, and from the principle of energy conservation, energy cannot be created nor destroyed but can be converted from one form to the other.

When we understand consciousness deeply, we'll be able to interact with people we call dead existing in other time fragments. In other words, time travel will be possible.

Consciousness, which is purely energy and fundamental to the universe, doesn't really die but changes from one form to the other during its evolution over time.

As Einstein stated: "People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. Time, in other words, he said, is an illusion."

It's the brain that creates the illusion of time and space for us.

Even though you have spoken very complicated and complex things, I can decipher some basic things from your write-up.
1. You are not an Atheist
2. The mind is REAL (I am sure Atheists will not agree with you here)
3. Our mind is a Fundermental property of our existence (fundamental to the universe)
4. Our minds may exist even after death

I usually look at this from Christian and Logic point of view.
1. The mind is a property of our Soul (intelligence, self awareness and memory)
2. The Soul is akin to the SOFTWARE that gives expression to our Physical being
3. The Soul can exist outside the Body/Brain
4. The Brain and the Central nervous system is just like the CPU of a computer
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by A001: 8:19am On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

Even though you have spoken very complicated and complex things, I can decipher some basic things from your write-up.
1. You are not an Atheist
2. The mind is REAL (I am sure Atheists will not agree with you here)
3. Our mind is a Fundermental property of our existence (fundamental to the universe)
4. Our minds may exist even after death
I'm not an atheist. The mind is real, just like love, hate, and other abstract things.

TenQ:

I usually look at this from Christian and Logic point of view.
1. The mind is a property of our Soul (intelligence, self awareness and memory)
2. The Soul is akin to the SOFTWARE that gives expression to our Physical being
3. The Soul can exist outside the Body/Brain
4. The Brain and the Central nervous system is just like the CPU of a computer
Yes, the mind is an aspect of the soul. The software analogy is okay.

And yes, the soul can exist outside the body. Actually, the soul exists in all realms and dimensions at once. But the brain and heart tune our consciousness to focus on our present realm.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 8:25am On Jun 06, 2023
A001:

I'm not an atheist. The mind is real, just like love, hate, and other abstract things.

Yes, the mind is an aspect of the soul. The software analogy is okay.

And yes, the soul can exist outside the body. Actually, the soul exists in all realms and dimensions at once. But the brain and heart tune our consciousness to focus on our present realm.
I wonder what Atheists have to say:
If the mind isn't real and measurable, how can it be said to exist.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by A001: 8:36am On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

I wonder what Atheists have to say:
If the mind isn't real and measurable, how can it be said to exist.
I'd love to know what their reasons are.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 8:58am On Jun 06, 2023
A001:

I'd love to know what their reasons are.
LordReed, what ye have to say?how real is the mind since there isn't a single objective evidence for it.
Is the mind just chemicals acting on biological matter?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 9:38am On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

LordReed, what ye have to say?how real is the mind since there isn't a single objective evidence for it.
Is the mind just chemicals acting on biological matter?

We've had this discussion before and my position hasn't changed.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 10:39am On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

We've had this discussion before and my position hasn't changed.
I am not sure we have: this is about the reality of the mind and not the soul.

Is the mind real?
Is there an objective evidence for it?

Is the mind just simply chemicals acting on biological matter?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 11:01am On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

I am not sure we have: this is about the reality of the mind and not the soul.

Is the mind real?
Is there an objective evidence for it?

Is the mind just simply chemicals acting on biological matter?

Ok.

Mind as far as we know is the emergent property of the workings of the brain and other parts of the body, It is real and somewhat measurable in that the impulses the brain produces correspond to states of mind that are similar in all individuals. Can your exact thoughts be viewed externally? No but the state of you mind always matches particular brain scan/imaging patterns that can be viewed.

2 Likes

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 11:18am On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

Ok.

Mind as far as we know is the emergent property of the workings of the brain and other parts of the body, It is real and somewhat measurable in that the impulses the brain produces correspond to states of mind that are similar in all individuals. Can your exact thoughts be viewed externally? No but the state of you mind always matches particular brain scan/imaging patterns that can be viewed.
Are you saying that the mind is the electrical impulses measured in the brain?

How can the mind be real when it cannot be measured (except you believe the mind is electricity)?

NDEs show that it seems that consciousness can exist even when brain signals is zero!

Imaging patterns of the brain are measured electrical signals, what do you think is the cause: chemicals!?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 12:10pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

Are you saying that the mind is the electrical impulses measured in the brain?

How can the mind be real when it cannot be measured (except you believe the mind is electricity)?

NDEs show that it seems that consciousness can exist even when brain signals is zero!

Imaging patterns of the brain are measured electrical signals, what do you think is the cause: chemicals!?

No, I am saying mind is an emergent property.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 12:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

No, I am saying mind is an emergent property.
I guess your definition is a cryptic as ever !
Mind emerging property from where?
Reaction between chemicals or interaction of chemicals with molecules?

It looks vague because how can we prove that your comprehension of this post is emerging property from something?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

I guess your definition is a cryptic as ever !
Mind emerging property from where?
Reaction between chemicals or interaction of chemicals with molecules?

It looks vague because how can we prove that your comprehension of this post is emerging property from something?

What is cryptic about what I clearly already stated:

LordReed:

Mind as far as we know is the emergent property of the workings of the brain and other parts of the body,
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 12:52pm On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

What is cryptic about what I clearly already stated:

Emergent means coming out of
Property means attribute, quality of something

Meaning that the Mind doesn't exist by itself. But if it cannot be quantified, how can it be said to exist?

Mass, Gravitational force, Magnetic fields etc are all measurable physical properties. Can the Mind be measured?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

Emergent means coming out of
Property means attribute, quality of something

Meaning that the Mind doesn't exist by itself. But if it cannot be quantified, how can it be said to exist?

Mass, Gravitational force, Magnetic fields etc are all measurable physical properties. Can the Mind be measured?

The wetness of water is an emergent property. Meaning wetness doesn't exist by itself, how can water be wet since wetness cannot be quantified, how can it be said to exist?
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 1:09pm On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

The wetness of water is an emergent property. Meaning wetness doesn't exist by itself, how can water be wet since wetness cannot be quantified, how can it be said to exist?
Your example is NOT good at all.
Why?

Water is the substance that can make other things wet, but it is not typically considered wet on its own. Instead, we usually describe water as a liquid or as being capable of wetting other substances.

When water clings to an object, the object is said to be WET. That is, the property of water sticking to an object is what is called wetness of the object
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

Your example is NOT good at all.
Why?

Water is the substance that can make other things wet, but it is not typically considered wet on its own. Instead, we usually describe water as a liquid or as being capable of wetting other substances.

When water clings to an object, the object is said to be WET. That is, the property of water sticking to an object is what is called wetness of the object

The wetness of water is an emergent property because H2O molecules themselves are not wet in fact you need at least 6 molecules of water before that property of wetness becomes apparent. So, get it straight, wetness EMERGES when molecules of water are acting in concert with one another, wetness does not exist in the molecules of water.
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 2:21pm On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

The wetness of water is an emergent property because H2O molecules themselves are not wet in fact you need at least 6 molecules of water before that property of wetness becomes apparent. So, get it straight, wetness EMERGES when molecules of water are acting in concert with one another, wetness does not exist in the molecules of water.
Dictionary definition
Wetness:
consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid (such as water)

Wetness is an adjective to describe a state when an OBJECT is coated with water.

It is nonsensical to say wet water except if you can have dry water.
Why?
In a general definition of wetness Water is the "only" liquid that makes an object WET!

Is there any situation when a pool of water is wet? No!
Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 2:48pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

Dictionary definition
Wetness:
consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid (such as water)

Wetness is an adjective to describe a state when an OBJECT is coated with water.

It is nonsensical to say wet water except if you can have dry water.
Why?
In a general definition of wetness Water is the "only" liquid that makes an object WET!

Is there any situation when a pool of water is wet? No!

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 4:00pm On Jun 06, 2023
[quote author=LordReed post=123611154][/quote]
I'm not sure where you got this

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by LordReed(m): 4:13pm On Jun 06, 2023
TenQ:

I'm not sure where you got this

That is telling you that wetness EMERGES from interaction. It is not a property of water molecules themselves.

Added a chatgpt result for your consideration.

Re: Did The Mind Evolve From Chemistry, Matter And Energy? by TenQ: 4:19pm On Jun 06, 2023
LordReed:

That is telling you that wetness EMERGES from interaction. It is not a property of water molecules themselves.

Added a chatgpt result for your consideration.
Of course water wets Objects: probably you don't understand what ChatGPT was saying.

You were of the opinion that

"So, get it straight, wetness EMERGES when molecules of water are acting in concert with one another, wetness does not exist in the molecules of water."

This is very wrong

Water wets Objects!

There is no dry water!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Euthansia: The roman catholic perspective / Put your Best Hymns or Christian songs here / What Atheist Dont Believe In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.