Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,374 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? (2716 Views)

Man Kills Childhood Friend In Ondo, Steals His Motorcycle, Sells It For ₦130,000 / Refund The Money - Nigerian Lawyer Calls Out Lady For Refusing To Visit A Man / My Nigerian Childhood Friend Killed In South Africa Xenophobic Attack - Oyinbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Houseofglam7(f): 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2023
2009 and still awaiting trial?
Damn!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by HeyHey(f): 6:30pm On Jun 06, 2023
xangerar:
It is not a big deal, so do not fret. Just do it. Have a little money in the pocket with you though. Depending on the prison where he is, the warders at the entrance and maybe warders who may have shown him some favour may expect you to "shake body" for them. Other inmates may hail you too and you may want to leave a thing behind. It is a community and as you do in his name, he too will reap when other inmates have their own visitors.

It is a solitary place and I consider that one of what those inmates require are those visits, otherwise they feel even among their colleagues as orphans who no one seek out for from time to time. Just last week, I rebuked the wife of one of my clients for not visiting her husband since he went in. It was the man who told me his wife had stayed away and how that has made him look different from others whose wives and relatives visit usually.

Also know that in this state, your friend is most likely to hear your words of wisdom than when he is out, assuming he does. It is a time of quiet, when those who love, may easily mend the minds of their loved ones.

Everything he said plus, do not go with food stuff/provisions - Prisons have specific food they allow, the food must be loose and easily searched throughly. It may be better to get there and ask them to buy it for him if possible by themselves (Warders are very nice)

If he is awaiting trial, chances are that his living conditions are very bad (already convicted inmates are treated way better), and there are very many of them (bc police just likes to arrest, transfer to court, then to correctional without proper investigation) . Hence, money will go a long long way for him

Finally, if possible, try to show up on his ‘court day’ if you can, once in a while. It does a lot for them when people come. Prisoners whose families are in court are more confident, vocal, hardly bullied by labels and judgmental glances/comments. the ones people don’t come for, are too defeated to speak against police/witnesses lies.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by HeyHey(f): 6:33pm On Jun 06, 2023
Houseofglam7:
2009 and still awaiting trial?
Damn!!!!!

Yes, it’s that bad.
There was one herder arrest in 2008, he was walking cows. He was there for almost 8years before his trial started and was acquitted. He returned to Zamfara Abi Kano to see that his family had moved on thinking he was dead. He didn’t know where to start life again, Op’s friend has hope, if possible he should use the time to apply for education, they do paint making, tailoring and even attend NOUN I believe

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by charlesdinho(m): 7:07pm On Jun 06, 2023
let him rot in jail. if you are in a school and cultist are disturbing you to join them, a sensible individual will leave that school asap
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by virginchaser(m): 7:23pm On Jun 06, 2023
Please visit him only if you know you are clean and if you are not please repent.

It's a great thing to visit inmates. I visited prison with NCCF. I was amazed of what i saw. Interesting chapel, president of prison fellowship with his designer wears, spirit filled sermon. Interaction with inmates was a life time experience. Inmates were happy to pour out their mind and seek advice from us. I was cautious when an inmate i was interacting with told me he had tuberculosis.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Houseofglam7(f): 7:26pm On Jun 06, 2023
HeyHey:

Yes, it’s that bad.
There was one herder arrest in 2008, he was walking cows. He was there for almost 8years before his trial started and was acquitted. He returned to Zamfara Abi Kano to see that his family had moved on thinking he was dead. He didn’t know where to start life again, Op’s friend has hope, if possible he should use the time to apply for education, they do paint making, tailoring and even attend NOUN I believe
Oh my goodness 😢
Damn

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by ibechris(m): 7:33pm On Jun 06, 2023
Theh send u go school,u say na cult u like...see how the guy ended.
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by AgentGoat: 9:01pm On Jun 06, 2023
Ogeneigbo1:
It's Okay,bro.

If your spirit is strong about it, you can go.
Like I said,be careful when you go.
You can go along with the family and lawyer anytime they want to visit him.

But if it's me I will extend my love through his siblings.

Once bitten Twice Shy ,they say.

Good luck,bro.

Shut up. You are not making any sense.
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Emperormartin(m): 11:14pm On Jun 06, 2023
HeyHey:

Everything he said plus, do not go with food stuff/provisions - Prisons have specific food they allow, the food must be loose and easily searched throughly. It may be better to get there and ask them to buy it for him if possible by themselves (Warders are very nice)

If he is awaiting trial, chances are that his living conditions are very bad (already convicted inmates are treated way better), and there are very many of them (bc police just likes to arrest, transfer to court, then to correctional without proper investigation) . Hence, money will go a long long way for him

Finally, if possible, try to show up on his ‘court day’ if you can, once in a while. It does a lot for them when people come. Prisoners whose families are in court are more confident, vocal, hardly bullied by labels and judgmental glances/comments. the ones people don’t come for, are too defeated to speak against police/witnesses lies.
Thank you Ma... I've read your advice over and over again.
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by fixitbyjal(m): 12:24am On Jun 07, 2023
PRISON IS NOT A PLACE WHERE YOU GOTO AND YOU'RE ARRESTED NEVER!!

EVEN IF YOUR FRIEND KILLED 1THOUSAND PEOPLE YOU WILL STILL BE ALLOWED TO VISIT YOUR FRIEND IN PRISON

YOU CAN ONLY GET ARRESTED IF YOU'RE TRYING TO PASS EXHIBIT OR PROHIBITED ITEMS LIKE WEED OR OTHER HARMFUL DRUGS INSIDE THE PRISON

MANY BABIES HERE WHO HAVEN'T BEEN TO PRISON ARE SAYING TRASH THAT YOU SHOULDN'T GO MAYBE ACCORDING TO THEM TO AVOID ARREST BUT IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY

PRISON IS NOT A POLICE STATION WHERE'YOU GO TO CHECK YOUR CRIMINAL FRIEND AND YOU'RE ARRESTED TOO

PLS GO WITH ENOUGH FOOD STUFFS TOILETRIES AND CASH
HE WILL REMEMBER YOU FOREVER

ALSO DO WELL TO ATTEND HIS COURT HEARING WHENEVER YOU'RE CHANCED

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by BigIyanga: 12:38am On Jun 07, 2023
Go and visit him. He’ll forever appreciate it!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Emperormartin(m): 5:01am On Jun 07, 2023
Thank you all for your advice.

I've really learn alot about prisons and it's visits.

It was really a positive turnout putting this here in this forum.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by xangerar: 6:39am On Jun 08, 2023
Lilfemzie:
Most of the people up there asking you not to visit him have never visited anyone in prison, they're just talking from hearsays. Go ahead and visit him. @xangerar has already said everything you need to know about prison visits. Trust me after this visit, you'll be tempted to always visit prisons or better still send a hand to those locked up behind bars every now and then...not necessarily your friend alone...I been there before...when I'm eventually stable, charity towards prisoners is one thing I want to do sooo baddd

You are so correct. You will be tempted to want to return on visits after the first. It feels in a way that is helpful for a humane understanding of life.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Micheal56: 7:05am On Jun 08, 2023
Bro Abeg visit am buy him food ur friend is hungry and also keep some little funds like 3k to deposit for him
Abeg Dey show am love till he come outside

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Lilfemzie(m): 9:56am On Jun 08, 2023
xangerar:

You are so correct. You will be tempted to want to return on visits after the first. It feels in a way that is helpful for a humane understanding of life.

Fr bro, only those that has been there will understand this feeling...

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Tunneller: 11:16am On Jun 08, 2023
@OP, Prison visitations are normal and occur regularly. However, it's good you asking these questions so you know what you are doing.

I have visited the prison both as a corper and as a normal citizen visiting a friend/relative. Every prison has their rules and regulations. Written and unwritten.

Some tips I could add:

- I won't advise you to go alone. Go with someone already familiar with that particular prison. It would save you a lot of unnecessary hurdles.

- If possible, go with one of his family member also.

- Go with money. Raw cash. Change an amount into the regular denominations. Enough N200 and N100. Back then, every visitor paid a certain amount to cross the gate...even if we were visiting same person. Some times, they have certain numbers they can allow at a time.

- The one I visited, they had like a prison money keeper, so the money we wan give the person we visited, it would be deposited with this person and recorded. In some prisons, you can give your friend your cash gift directly.

- Foodstuffs and provisions: highly valuable. The one that can last.

- Back then, the cooked food we brought, one of us had to taste every of it (As a check against food poisoning)

- We were given a small tag. Keep very safe. If u loose am, you can't go out o (Coz it would be assumed you have given it to someone inside to use and come out)

- They would ask you a few questions... basically to ascertain your relationship with who you are visiting and reason for visiting.

- We dropped our phones at the gate.

- Note that some of the persons u would be dealing it are actually prisoners-on-duty 😉 (You may not know initially). Even some persons outside the prison could be prisoners. Those ones no dey run again. He could just be washing one of the ogas car or in charge of opening gate. Also, some warders could be on mufti too. So face wetin carry you come. They all would be observing you too and may want to know how buoyant your visit has made the guy. All of them dey hustle too, you know. Some would be begging you too when you are leaving for tips.

- Check yourself very well...make u no go carry exhibit o...both entering and leaving. Most likely sha, u won't get beyond the visiting room. Tho, the visit I did as a corper, we toured round all the wards. People started crying. Some prisoners were begging the girls...dash me anything...even earring dash me...just anything. It was really touching. And a warder got furious when one of us attempted to dash one of them something through the cage. Some were begging to call a certain number that nobody knows he is there etc. Anyways, don't think you would be getting to these areas ... But my point is, focus on who you are visiting.

- Avoid unnecessary handshakes or trying to carry out favours.

- Anything, you ain't sure of while there, better to ask first.

- You won't be given the whole day. Don't get carried away by emotions, otherwise before you know it, them go say time up. So be alert and do your discussion quick so u make best use of your time. Other visitors are waiting. And nobody send anybody there.

- Have a great experience!

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Pallaz(m): 8:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
From experience, if he is your true friend. Visit him, buy him sugar, tea and milk plus garri. Buy Apple. But know that inmates prefers money. Go there ask him, about his situation, try to hear from him., if he's already judge or still awaiting trial. Make him understand that u suppose come since but you was very afraid. And try to be the friend u are then. Share with him, ask him about his health.ask him if he get phone.And promise to keep in contact with him. Believe me, he will never forget you forever. And know this, nothing concern court case with your visitation in prison. So make no one put fear on you,,,

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Emperormartin(m): 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2023
Tunneller:
@OP, Prison visitations are normal and occur regularly. However, it's good you asking these questions so you know what you are doing.

I have visited the prison both as a corper and as a normal citizen visiting a friend/relative. Every prison has their rules and regulations. Written and unwritten.

Some tips I could add:

- I won't advise you to go alone. Go with someone already familiar with that particular prison. It would save you a lot of unnecessary hurdles.

- Go with money. Raw cash. Change an amount into the regular denominations. Enough N200 and N100. Back then, every visitor paid a certain amount to cross the gate...even if we were visiting same person. Some times, they have certain numbers they can allow at a time.

- The one I visited, they had like a prison money keeper, so the money we wan give the person we visited, it would be deposited with this person and recorded. In some prisons, you can give your friend your cash gift directly.

- Back then, the cooked food we brought, one of us had to taste every of it (As a check against food poisoning)

- We were given a small tag. Keep very safe. If u loose am, you can't go out o (Coz it would be assumed you have given it to someone inside to use and come out)

- They would ask you a few questions... basically to ascertain your relationship with who you are visiting and reason for visiting.

- Note that some of the persons u would be dealing it are actually prisoners-on-duty 😉 (You may not know initially). Even some persons outside the prison could be prisoners. Those ones no dey run again. He could just be washing one of the ogas car or in charge of opening gate. Also, some warders could be on mufti too. So face wetin carry you come. They all would be observing you too and may want to know how buoyant your visit has made the guy. All of them dey hustle too, you know. Some would be begging you too when you are leaving for tips.

- Check yourself very well...make u no go carry exhibit o...both entering and leaving. Most likely sha, u won't get beyond the visiting room. Tho, the visit I did as a corper, we toured round all the wards. People started crying. Some prisoners were begging the girls...dash me anything...even earring dash me...just anything. It was really touching. And a warder got furious when one of us attempted to dash one of them something through the cage. Some were begging to call a certain number that nobody knows he is there etc. Anyways, don't think you would be getting to these areas ... But my point is, focus on who you are visiting.

- You won't be given the whole day. Don't get carried away by emotions, otherwise before you know it, them go say time up. So be alert and do your discussion quick so u make best use of your time. Other visitors are waiting. And nobody send anybody there.

Thanks bro. This is so apt

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Lilfemzie(m): 4:32am On Jun 10, 2023
Tunneller:

Some tips I could add:

You get sense jare my bro 🙌

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Hamachi(f): 6:45am On Jun 10, 2023
wink
Tunneller:

Some tips I could add:

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Hamachi(f): 6:52am On Jun 10, 2023
Emperormartin:

Hmmm this is deep. Thanks bro

And in addendum, i wasn't a cultist during my University days and even up till now. As I stated above we didn't attend the same University.

But most times I do remember this my friend whenever I'm less busy in my office and almost every weekends.
Hisyour friend not a family members. Let the family visit him.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by obuburam: 10:48am On Jun 10, 2023
Emperormartin:

Gracias.
It's because of people like you that have first hand experience i opened this thread.
Thanks immensely
Let me chip in this, visiting him will be a blessing to both of you.
You'll see the other side of life and thank God for your own life.
To him,it will mean a lot as prisoners getting visitation means they are not forgotten and they cherish it a lot in the midst of their mates
I have visited prisons countless times because of evangelism and I must tell you, they cherish it a lot.
Just hold some money and provisions.
Since he's is still awaiting trials and has spent so many years like that there, he must have known his ways in there and become a top officers that nobody can intimidate when he holds money.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Emyzoloye5(m): 11:24am On Jun 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Go with vaseline.

Vaseline for soapy 😁, I really feel for inmates
Konji can drive one crazy
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Oceanjagaban: 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Go with vaseline.
checkout
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by TheMaharajah: 11:12am On Jun 11, 2023
Send him money anonymously so incase something change you can claim the glory. Na watin him price na him them sell for am. If him see you jealousy and pain go dey him mind and you know what that degenerates to.
Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by Tzar91: 2:39pm On Jun 11, 2023
Emperormartin:

You mean Vaseline blue seal?

Please throw more light
don't mind him, the Vaseline is meant for Masturbation.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Visit A Childhood Friend In Prison. Any Tips? by ceejay80s(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2023
solmusdesigns:
You can go with foodstuffs, provisions, and some cash you buy him recharge cards if he has a phone
Phone inside prison?? Na campus??

(1) (2) (Reply)

What To Do When Your WhatsApp Account Is Hacked / SHOCKING!!! How Suspects Slaughtered Woman,okada Rider, Used Body Parts For Mone / Syrian Girl Shot Dead In Honour Killing For Refusing To Marry Her Cousin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.