Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Help Moving Back To Naija - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Moving Back To Naija (1188 Views)

Moving Back To Nigeria / Moving Back To Naija / Moving Back To Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Moving Back To Naija by baksonlee: 1:53am On Oct 01, 2011
I finished my Bachelors degree in Computer Science from London Metropolitan University (2:1) in 2009 and I have been working with a small firm in the U.K for the past 1/1.5 years, but the UK Home office wouldn't renew my visa, so I am considering the option of returning to Nigeria and I am very concerned about the job prospects there.

1. What is the job market in Computer Science/ IT like in Nigeria and the average wage for a foreign grad?

2. Where can I look to find jobs over there? websites, contacts e.t.c

3.  Any General advice

Thank you very much.
Re: Help Moving Back To Naija by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 28, 2011
I hope you have served your father land i.e NYSC
Re: Help Moving Back To Naija by chamber2(m): 9:11am On Dec 28, 2011

1. What is the job market in Computer Science/ IT like in Nigeria and the average wage for a foreign grad?

The IT/telecoms industry appears to be in a good shape, with major players like MTN, Glo, Etisalat etc employing a handful of graduates each year. Aside banks and the govt, the IT/Telecoms sector appears to be the largest employer of white collar labourers in Nigeria. So, the industry is quite large and some how fragmented.

The issue of salary is something no one can say for sure. There is no standard salary structure in 9ja and there is also no official publication to that effect. However, entry level staffs should expect something above 85-100k on average if employed by the major players in the industry. More experienced folks earn quite higher salaries depending on experience and bargaining power.

Also, your ''foreign'' degree has little or no effect in salary negotiations. It can only get you to the door the rest depends on you. There is massive unemployment in the country and there is no guarantee you would get a job in the IT/telecoms sector.

Where can I look to find jobs over there? websites, contacts e.t.c

There are many job sites you can visit and then register so that you can receive job alerts in your email. Also, it's advisable you visit career sections of organisations you wish to work with and apply to job openings. Apply to as many jobs as possible. Try these sites;

www.
www.ngcareers.com
www.myjobmag.com

3.  Any General advice

I will advise you get certified in an area you consider necessary. You did little to provide us with info on your current job thereby making it a bit difficult for one to make recommendations. However, i will advise you choose a career path and get certified before you return. This will not only increase your chances of getting a job but also your ability to negotiate your pay.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Better An M Sc Or A Professional Certificate/diploma? / Nextzon Interview & Management Trainee Job @ Mainstreet Bank / Ecobank sacks 1000+ Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.