Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,407 members, 7,839,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] (6984 Views)

Owerri Flyover And Ado Ekiti Flyover Which Looks Beautiful : Pictures / LP, PDP Used Russian Hackers To Hack INEC Servers - APC Official (Photos) / President Buhari Wears Igbo, Yoruba & Hausa Attires As He Accepts APC Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by GODPUNISHALABI: 9:08am On Jun 12, 2023
Maize247:
The first one is mostly popular with the Yorubas
agbada did not originate from the yorubas

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Maize247(f): 9:13am On Jun 12, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
No wonder Agbado is igbo word

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 12, 2023
Maize247:
No wonder Agbado is igbo word
agbada did not originate from igbos either. A version of it first appeared in Sudan and has gradually been adapted and adopted around west Africa. Remember that during Uthman Dan Fodio, west and central Africa were all called Sudan.
The photo here is a Sudanese wearing the boubou

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by IkeIgboNiile(m): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2023
Razgas
I used to think like Ttipsy. The reason is because there are laws like that in Asian countries and I can tell you now that their cultures are deeper than ours. But you will never find a Chinese or Japanese politician dressed in traditional attire.
However I now realise that the Europeans actually now are starting to appreciate our culture. I once dressed in my isi agu in Australia and many white people kept telling me how they love it.

Yes even when if you didn't get positive compliment, that shouldn't stop Africans from being true and authentic. African wears should be encouraged. People will respect you better if they know you're true and authentic.

Our entertainment industry needs to start appreciating our culture. They have the spotlight on them now. It's time to show the richness in our culture and traditions.

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by 1Sharon(f): 9:50am On Jun 12, 2023
kokoA:
Who really owns agbada sef? Seems every tribe within the entire West Africa sees agbada as traditional attire.

It's an outsider Islamic influence. The yorubas got it from hausas and hausas got it from their fellow sahelians.

Same thing that happened with the boubou.

Long flowy attires are a sahelian style, since they're desert dwellers.

Yorubas should stop getting defensive when people say agbada isn't a yoruba innovation, because it really isn't.

When yorubas accepted Islam, they started dressing like the people that introduced them to the faith- sahelians/people from Mali.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by 1Sharon(f): 10:02am On Jun 12, 2023
Razgas:
agbada did not originate from igbos either. A version of it first appeared in Sudan and has gradually been adapted and adopted around west Africa. Remember that during Uthman Dan Fodio, west and central Africa were all called Sudan.
The photo here is a Sudanese wearing the boubou

It's a sahelian attire.

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by 1Sharon(f): 10:09am On Jun 12, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:

You're right. But I think your priorities should instead be to wonder why Igbo men are wearing winter hats as their traditional attire in a hot climate like Nigeria.

Where do you think that came from? It is mismatched and odd.

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Chibuezem(m): 10:10am On Jun 12, 2023
kokoA:
Who really owns agbada sef? Seems every tribe within the entire West Africa sees agbada as traditional attire.
agbada is not an igbo traditional wear at all.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Raskimonojendor: 10:16am On Jun 12, 2023
Ttipsy:
If I be president
I will ban all this nonsense of dress!

If you can't dress on suits or corporate you can't run for an election let alone occupy official Post.

I don't like traditional wears I'm sorry about this. It makes them look stupid
Suit in the hot sun.

3 Likes

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Ttipsy(f): 10:24am On Jun 12, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:
Ttipsy
If I be president

If you can't dress on suits or corporate you can't run for an election let alone occupy official Post.

This is why you'll hold elective position. How can an African talk of banning traditional wears for European wears.
Just the same stupidity that goes on during African awards. Where you'll see celebrities going broke just to afford an European gown for an African event.
suit is a global wear okay.. it gives decency in dressing, appearance and lot more..

If we accept the western practices, like democracy, system of government, way of life, education then why can't we look and emulate how their officials dress;
We have our officials here dresss like one who's going for a traditional function or masquerade show ...
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by GODPUNISHALABI: 10:38am On Jun 12, 2023
1Sharon:

You're right. But I think your priorities should instead be to wonder why Igbo men are wearing winter hats as their traditional attire in a hot climate like Nigeria.

Where do you think that came from? It is mismatched and odd.
if e pain you knack ur head for wall
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by 1Sharon(f): 10:41am On Jun 12, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
if e pain you knack ur head for wall

You're stupid sha. I said you're right and you say I'm pained? Lol.

I gave an explanation here:
https://www.nairaland.com/7724275/these-two-igbo-attires-which/1#123739525

Explain the winter hats for us.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by McStoic(m): 10:48am On Jun 12, 2023
Razgas:
1. Wearing the normal West African/Nigerian agbada with the red Igbo cap
2. Wearing the Isi Agu with the red igbo cap

Agbada is never an Igbo attire. The ishi agu is the correct Igbo native wear. It looks for smart and official to me
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by IkeIgboNiile(m): 10:51am On Jun 12, 2023
Ttipsy
suit is a global wear okay.. it gives decency in dressing, appearance and lot more..

If we accept the western practices, like democracy, system of government, way of life, education then why can't we look and emulate how their officials dress;
We have our officials here dresss like one who's going for a traditional function or masquerade show ...

Suit is an European wear adopted globally. All African dresses are decent and can be worn at all occasions.

Accepting Western practices doesn't mean we should lose our identity too. Look at USA for example,why don't dress and act like British. The only i love about Northern politicians is that they don't conform to these dress patterns no matter the occasion.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by tiswell(m): 11:08am On Jun 12, 2023
Dpen11:
Obi cubana
that's how you people fail exams.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Ttipsy(f): 11:18am On Jun 12, 2023
IkeIgboNiile:
Ttipsy

Suit is an European wear adopted globally. All African dresses are decent and can be worn at all occasions.

Accepting Western practices doesn't mean we should lose our identity too. Look at USA for example,why don't dress and act like British. The only i love about Northern politicians is that they don't conform to these dress patterns no matter the occasion.
what dress do USA officials wear?? Can you answer that yourself? Even South Africa, Kenya etc .

We were our traditional wears to offices looking like masquerade does that make it any better than them in terms of governance?
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by IkeIgboNiile(m): 11:26am On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=Ttipsy post=123741433] what dress do USA officials wear?? Can you answer that yourself? Even South Africa, Kenya etc .

We were our traditional wears to offices looking like masquerade does that make it any better than them in terms of governance?

It's not about governance. It's about our identity as a people. We shouldn't replace our identity to fit in.
I have the same opinion about people who bear foreign names or surnames. They lose their identity and authenticity.
When slaves were brought to America abd Europe, the first thing the white masters did was force them to change their names because without their names,they lose their identity and become easier to control.

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Ttipsy(f): 11:38am On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=IkeIgboNiile post=123741601][/quote] wearing suit can't make one loose our identity

Asians especially Indians and japanese should ought to have forgotten theirs if so
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 12, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
Yeah it did
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2023
kokoA:

Those who the colonialists met roaming their villages naked except their genitals covered with palm leaves can't claim ownership of Agbada. There lies the answer that you seek. Am I correct Legendhero, LeoDeking? grin

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Procashtips(m): 11:56am On Jun 12, 2023
Ttipsy:
If I be president

Hello Chief slave
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by LadyExcellency: 11:58am On Jun 12, 2023
My identity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Typing: 12:12pm On Jun 12, 2023
None.

See the real Ebow traditional attire here. But it always makes them look like Native Doctor. grin grin

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by ImperialYoruba: 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
Razgas:

The second is authentic Ibo top. To complete it as a full Ibo attire the trouser should be replaced with wrapper.

The first picture is a copy of Yoruba traditional attire.

There is nothing called West African attire. Who dey yarn this nonsense? West African ko, East African ni.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by ImperialYoruba: 12:28pm On Jun 12, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:

Who told you this?

Go and find Leo Frobenius archives on Yoruba culture and amongst his collections was Yoruba Agbada which he called ancient mode of dressing amongst Yoruba.

E remain small una go say Ife royal bronze cast sef is not original Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by LegendHero(m): 12:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Those who the colonialists met roaming their villages naked except their genitals cover with palm leaves can't claim ownership of Agbada. There lies the answer that you seek. Am I correct Legendhero? grin

You are very correct my brother.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Parachoko: 12:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
Ttipsy:
If I be president

You're shallow
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by GODPUNISHALABI: 1:12pm On Jun 12, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

Who told you this?

Go and find Leo Frobenius archives on Yoruba culture and amongst his collections was Yoruba Agbada which he called ancient mode of dressing amongst Yoruba.

E remain small una go say Ife royal bronze cast sef is not original Yoruba.
again agbada baban Riga bou bou or whatever did not originate from yorubas its an Islamic dressing which originated from the west African sahel region
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Barims(m): 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
None sad
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Abbeytoy(m): 2:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
Both looks awesome.

As a Yoruba guy, I will go for the first sha... But both depends on individual and how you can style up
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by Despacito1: 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Razgas:
agbada is a pan Hausa attire, we borrowed it and can't claim it's Igbo.
Re: Between These Two Igbo Attires Which Looks More Official [Photos] by compton11(m): 2:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
1800 century ago, y'all don't have cloth

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Revealed: Atiku Defeated Ibb By Just One Vote! / Graphic pic! Black Man Crucified On The Cross[ Photo] / SHOCKING!!! Sick President Muhammadu Buhari Disgraced Before The Entire World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.