Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,739 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) (22019 Views)

Japa Or Stay In Nigeria / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by steadyMoving22: 8:51pm On Jun 12, 2023

Selfkontrol:
Good day Nairalanders. Pls I need some mature advice because I’ve been in a dilemma for a long time now concerning relocating abroad or staying back in Nigeria.
First of all I’m not a japa advocate. I believe if you’re doing well in Nigeria then there’s no point relocating abroad but I feel there’s so much uncertainty and I don’t know what the future holds for me in this country.

Now I’m a married man of 30 years. I will turn 31 by this September. We have no child yet but wife is preg now. I have a B.Eng in petroleum Engineering but have never worked in my life. My current business is crypto trading which I have been doing for years now. During the 2021 crypto bull run I made lot of money and acquired some properties that’s currently valued atleast 60-70m naira in total. bought my car same year and got married same year to my long time Gf, settled some family members etc . I don’t have any other investments or business aside my properties and crypto portfolio because crypto trading has taken all my time and I won’t complain because so far it has been good. Making money in dollars while in Nigeria is bliss. Even though we have been in bear season since 2022, I still make some money every now and then that’s sustainable for now until we hit another bull run which is likely to happen from next year 2024.

My fear lies here, on the long run crypto trading is not sustainable. If not for 2021 bull run I don’t think I would be in this position and even the projected bull run next year is not 100% certain

I plan on learning a programming skill which is very difficult, I tried learning it late last year but stopped along the line because it was distracting me from trading and missing some opportunities in crypto because making money is most important. Coding would probably take me a few years before I start earning even though it is sustainable long term but crypto trading can be life changing but not sustainable long term . It’s more like a gamble most times.

My plan A, is to gather enough money from now till 2025 which is the duration of the projected bull run if it happens and start investing in real estate development, Like building and selling and other businesses too but I don’t know how feasible that is in our present day Nigeria and if I don’t make my target amount, I might have to start with the available resources present.

plan B, gather some money, learn a skill then relocate to Canada with my family via study route since I don’t have any real work experience aside crypto trading but that would mean me going to study and starting afresh.

For my wife, she also has a degree in Human Resources with just nysc as working experience. She learnt wig making and installation and has been doing her online biz selling wigs etc.

Abroad folks, what are my chances abroad considering my current profile. Is it worth it coming over there to start afresh
And build? I have heard so many things how it’s hard getting a job and you have to rely on survival jobs for the first few years expecially for someone without any work experience.

I really don’t like joining the bandwagon cos everyone seems to be leaving, I love to weigh my options and hate taking unnecessary risk that might lead to regrets, at the same time don’t want to regret not leaving since I’m still young and have the opportunity that’s why I’m here asking these questions to learn from experienced and matured family men home and abroad the action they would take. We learn everyday,

For my unborn kids, if everything checks out, my plan is to give birth to them in either Canada or US for the passport and raise them in Nigeria and when they are grown, send them to study there and that is only if I’m not relocating. And if I’m relocating, what are the in-demand skills and professions I have to take since it’s clear I might be going to school because I hate survival jobs. What is your advice pls.
Mature advice pls. Thank you 🙏
@justwise @Disguy

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Guest911: 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
Penguin2:

What city in Canada did you migrate to that you are regretting, and what cities would you have migrated to?
I’m in Waterloo, Ontario.
The immigrants population here is astonishing. Getting a job in this region is an extreme sport.

Avoid places like Waterloo, Toronto and other busy places because the cost of living na die and scarce jobs

It’s better to move to other states like Alberta. Or even other small town in Ontario like Belleville @loyalist college
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by HellVictorinho6(m): 9:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
does it mean ur certificate or degree is useless? cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 9:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
[url][/url]
Mcslize:
My advice; relocate. It will open you to better opportunities.

I believe you're still yet to become a full time crypto trader. I guess you buy coins and sell when they appreciate. That's just one aspect.

I will advice you learn Future trading; an aspect of crypto trading. It's actually a skill. Learn it and you will never have any reason to want to work any 9-5 job.

Do you know how to do Technical Analysis? Can you analyze any crypto asset? If you haven't learned how to do Technical Analysis, that's the aspect you should focus on right now to learn and master it.

Technical Analysis is a sustainable skill on its own. I will advise you to learn that or Forex trading instead of the coding.

When you know something, it becomes your full time job. I know how much most Forex and technical crypto traders are making. It's a long term skill that will put food on your table forever.

I mean real technical traders o not just those that only buy coins and sell coins I am referring to o. Professional technical traders that can analyse any crypto asset and trade it.

I believe persons like Habby Forex and Jeffrey Benson who take Forex as full time skill won't be thinking of learning any other thing. Those are Technical Forex traders that master their skills and it's what is putting food on their table till date. I guess person like Habby won't wake up one day and say he wants to learn another skill when what he already knows is making him millions of dollars every year.

That's why I said go and learn the technical side of crypto trading not just merely buying of Meme coins to sell in the future.

Relocate if you have the means but try and learn the technical aspect of trading and become a professional crypto or Forex technical trader. That's the real deal.

Selfkontrol
Thanks for the advice. I think the technical analysis is spot on. But sometimes market conditions beats all technical analysis, bad news also drive price, future its basically for altcoins in good exchanges and it’s also the fastest way to get liquidated if you’re not careful. Technical analysis imo works better with forex compared to crypto but still good to know it. What I do is hodl solid altcoins for long term and trade meme coins. So everyday I hunt for the next shiny meme coins to make quick bucks and sell, reinvest them into solid projects for the bull run. Hodling strong altcoins beats trading them on the long run. And yes I’m a full time trader. I got burnt a lot this bear season which is normal. Even the best traders have huge losses. It’s just time consuming to trade all dY. Future trading is worse. U can get heart attack with future even with all the technical analyses lmao. If I can hit my target this coming bull run, I will do less trading and more of hodling while I focus on physical business like real estate etc. thanks for your input

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Lekan239(m): 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

Thanks for your input sir. You’re not far from the truth but I won’t say I’m broke. We’re in bear season so money doesn’t flow like that compared to bull season.
Yes they are in good locations. I have a single property valued at 37m in a top estate. I don’t intend selling them to travel though.
Even if I have to travel it would probably take a year or two, by then I would have generate enough money from crypto.

That’s my fear too. 9-5 scares me like crazy. If I was still starting life with little to nothing, I don’t think I would here asking questions becos I know the part to follow
ur story is not far from what I'm currently facing that's why I know and said all that.

I have assest too. House, land etc. But all that are just assest. Low in cash....

I also earn online and its not guaranteed.

Though I could easily still save for my japa plan within three-four month if it was only me, but fortunately I have a wife and a son.

After handling millions, I can't see my self doing 9-5 atleast not in Nigeria never.

Going abroad with my family will translate to me selling my properties. I don't also.

Not everybody will relocate abroad.

I am two years younger than you are. I already started a little biz for my wife.

Will continue saving hear and will continue hoping for a better future.

Though sometimes I think about japa, but I no dey japa

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Lekan239(m): 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

Thanks for your input sir. You’re not far from the truth but I won’t say I’m broke. We’re in bear season so money doesn’t flow like that compared to bull season.
Yes they are in good locations. I have a single property valued at 37m in a top estate. I don’t intend selling them to travel though.
Even if I have to travel it would probably take a year or two, by then I would have generate enough money from crypto.

That’s my fear too. 9-5 scares me like crazy. If I was still starting life with little to nothing, I don’t think I would here asking questions becos I know the part to follow
Good to the bank. Take a loan with ur property let's say about 20-40m naira loan. Start up something tangible.

Don't mind those people saying learn a skill. Na everybody dey learn skill
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Lekan239:
ur story is not far from what I'm currently facing that's why I know and said all that.

I have assest too. House, land etc. But all that are just assest. Low in cash....

I also earn online and its not guaranteed.

Though I could easily still save for my japa plan within three-four month if it was only me, but fortunately I have a wife and a son.

After handling millions, I can't see my self doing 9-5 atleast not in Nigeria never.

Going abroad with my family will translate to me selling my properties. I don't also.

Not everybody will relocate abroad.

I am two years younger than you are. I already started a little biz for my wife.

Will continue saving hear and will continue hoping for a better future.

Though sometimes I think about japa, but I no dey japa
story of my life bro! It’s just a hard decision to make. It may look like you’re indecisive but for someone that has seen millions leaving and going to start life afresh with so much uncertainty is just too hard. My two brother in-laws are in America. They left as students tho they had nothing in Nigeria and still young. Most times they ask me to relocate but man these guys are not in my shoes lol. People way never see money no go understand. All there own na japa japa
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 9:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
Lekan239:
Good to the bank. Take a loan with ur property let's say about 20-40m naira loan. Start up something tangible.

Don't mind those people saying learn a skill. Na everybody dey learn skill
Omo I don’t really buy the idea of using loan to start a business. It’s too much risk. Business is not really a problem for me. 20m is something I can make easily in crypto and beside I won’t even have time for the business. I just need to set up something for my wife
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
Evii:
Chairman I advice you learn a skill and then relocate abroad. Pls, I'm interested in crypto trading but don't know how to go about it, all I do at the moment is buy when the price is low and sell when it's high but I'm a novice in trading. Pls Sir, can I get your contact for you to put me through.

HELP A BROTHER
It’s probably the best thing to do for now since we’re still in bear season. Buying right now would set you up for the bull run. U don’t need much trading. Trading meme coins is super risky

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2023
HellVictorinho6:
does it mean ur certificate or degree is useless? cry cry cry cry cry
It is to me right now. The world is revolving and you don’t want to be stucked in the past. Traveling out would mean a change in career for me.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by balarabe01(m): 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2023
Since you're a trader,making money should not be much of a problem atheist to feed,but for the sake of your children's future and for the sake of your old age,travel out.
Sell your proper of say 40m buy a lesser property of 30m,use 10m and travel.if the system favors you,good stag and make more.if the system doesn't favor you return home atheist you have a home of your own plus japa experience.Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 10:10pm On Jun 12, 2023
genkins:

Also relocating doesn’t come fast like that. It takes atleast 1 year

That is if it is Canada..you can get UK in 6weeks.
I've tried biz in Nigeria..Nigeria always frustrates business..no light,security etc..think we'll sha.tnx for ur response
UK is a no no. U get nothing in return not even passport while they suck you dry. No good jobs apart from care jobs. U can imagine someone that has seen millions going to uk to do care jobs with no even guarantee of getting a good job afterwards and passport lmao. Canada remains the best

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by GboyegaD(m): 10:16pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

It’s not a matter of seeking for validation. My brother having convictions or not you don’t just travel because of your convictions. Life abroad is life of uncertainty. U need to be properly guarded. Only fools travel without necessary information and so far Nairaland is full of many knowledgeable people home and abroad with wealth of experience

There is enough information on and off Naira land to guide however, coming to ask from people who have no idea what your life/plans/aspirations are is not proper enough.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 10:19pm On Jun 12, 2023
GboyegaD:

There is enough information on and off Naira land to guide however, coming to ask from people who have no idea what your life/plans/aspirations are is not proper enough.
Yes i understand you and trust me I read up on things about japa both the good and the bad but I needed to get a clear perspective base on my situation. Remember everyone’s case is different. My question is if relocation is worth if. I love to learn from person’s experience cos I hate regrets.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Lekan239(m): 10:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

Omo I don’t really buy the idea of using loan to start a business. It’s too much risk. Business is not really a problem for me. 20m is something I can make easily in crypto and beside I won’t even have time for the business. I just need to set up something for my wife
so you have it then. The rich are taking billons in loans. Even usa still dey collect loans. Don't let anybody deceive you
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by EronzRichie(m): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
If you don't know,

1) CRYPTO TRADING is actually a SKILL. You making money from it shows that you know your onions

2)You are not OLD, You are 31, you have a lot of decades to live.

Why don't you try a physical but lucrative business in nigeria, thereon, esthablish yourself as a serial business man since you have the Vibe of not "WORKING FOR ANYONE" before making it.

Relocating is good if you have the means tho.

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 10:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Lekan239:
so you have it then. The rich are taking billons in loans. Even usa still dey collect loans. Don't let anybody deceive you
I know. Taking loan is not bad. But using it to start up a new business is what I don’t support. It’s better to use it to expand your already stable business and remember loans abroad is Easier expecially for real estate with their mortgage system.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by GboyegaD(m): 10:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

Yes i understand you and trust me I read up on things about japa both the good and the bad but I needed to get a clear perspective base on my situation. Remember everyone’s case is different. My question is if relocation is worth if. I love to learn from person’s experience cos I hate regrets.

The challenge is that every individual's goals differs. Therefore, whatever you read might not be the best guide in it all. The essence is that life is not a straight way. Sometime, the whole essence of life is understanding why we are making a decision and sticking by it so that in the face of the storms, it is easier to bend and allow it wash over us instead of standing against it and it either washing us off or breaking us.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 10:47pm On Jun 12, 2023
Guest911:

@OP I was in your shoes as well, I made money during the crypto bull run too, I lost most of it too to altcoins, but I'm a programmer so the remote jobs paid better than crypto. I have relocated to Canada. I don't really have many regrets, except I should have chosen a different city with more job opportunities. and I should have acquired some certifications before coming here like health care certs, CPR certs, and the rest.
Those jobs pay well even for part-time.
Anyway, the bottom line is purchasing power in Nigeria is quite low now coupled with the insecurity. So starting a business is uninspiring. I would suggest you do some research acquire relevant skills and certificates before relocating.

WhT is stopping you from relocating to a better city if you don’t mind me asking.
You mean health care pay more than the programming job you’re currently doing? What would you’ve done differently if you where still in naija about to make such decision.
What other skills and certifications would you recommend since you are there and know how the system works

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Penguin2: 11:00pm On Jun 12, 2023
Guest911:

The immigrants population here is astonishing. Getting a job in this region is an extreme sport.

Avoid places like Waterloo, Toronto and other busy places because the cost of living na die and scarce jobs

It’s better to move to other states like Alberta. Or even other small town in Ontario like Belleville @loyalist college
Thank you for sharing this with me. It’s highly appreciated.

But the city name sef… which one is Waterloo?🧐
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by GboyegaD(m): 11:13pm On Jun 12, 2023
Guest911:

Hi,

A younger friend is trying to find a decent studio/one bedroom apartment in Kitchener, what website do you suggest she focuses on?
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:14pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

It is to me right now. The world is revolving and you don’t want to be stucked in the past. Traveling out would mean a change in career for me.
does it also mean i cant get 3k from u ? cry cry cry
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Guest911: 11:19pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

WhT is stopping you from relocating to a better city if you don’t mind me asking.
You mean health care pay more than the programming job you’re currently doing? What would you’ve done differently if you where still in naija about to make such decision.
What other skills and certifications would you recommend since you are there and know how the system works
I travelled under a study visa, so I can’t take full time programming jobs. And tech companies here won’t hire students/part-time.
I can’t relocate to another city because I need to attend physical classes lol. I haven’t gotten another remote job yet because the tech job market isn’t in a good place now, so many layoffs and lots of competition and recession etc. I just got here sha so hopefully the job markets improves. But yeah if you have driving experience bring you extract VERY IMPORTANT.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Guest911: 11:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
GboyegaD:

Hi,

A younger friend is trying to find a decent studio/one bedroom apartment in Kitchener, what website do you suggest she focuses on?
I suggest she use Facebook marketplace get a sublease when she gets here she can pay and move in. Tell her to budget like CAD$600-900/month
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 11:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Dogo246:
You sound like somebody I know lmao. But continue. You know yourself.
lol in your dreams
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by genkins(m): 11:41pm On Jun 12, 2023
Guest911:

I travelled under a study visa, so I can’t take full time programming jobs. And tech companies here won’t hire students/part-time.
I can’t relocate to another city because I need to attend physical classes lol. I haven’t gotten another remote job yet because the tech job market isn’t in a good place now, so many layoffs and lots of competition and recession etc. I just got here sha so hopefully the job markets improves. But yeah if you have driving experience bring you extract VERY IMPORTANT.

Pls what's extract for driving experience?

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by GboyegaD(m): 11:46pm On Jun 12, 2023
Guest911:

I suggest she use Facebook marketplace get a sublease when she gets here she can pay and move in. Tell her to budget like CAD$600-900/month

She's actually in Brampton at the moment but school starts for her in September.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Guest911: 12:16am On Jun 13, 2023
GboyegaD:

She's actually in Brampton at the moment but school starts for her in September.
lol Brampton our New Delhi grin

So even better she has to use one of those student rental companies, or register on Nirow.ca
It’s a community for Nigerians in the region of Waterloo-Kitchener-Cambridge. She’ll get a telegram link she’ll get help from other Nigerian, maybe find another girl to split rent with
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Selfkontrol: 12:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Guest911:

Ok i understand. I thought you had the remote job in Nigeria and travelled via pr. I’m aware about the many layoffs and now with this new AI era with chatgpt etc, IT jobs will be so competitive. Maybe we can connect on WhatsApp if you’re cool.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Chidizman(m): 12:37am On Jun 13, 2023
No matter the kind of advice you're given. You're still going to end up doing what's on your mind anyway. Well I'm just gonna drop this, maybe it's not for you but for other Nigerians looking to relocate. If you're doing well in Nigeria and you don't have any soft skill, it's best you stay away or do proper research before you travel. However, if you're in the category of those struggling and by struggling I mean earning less than 200k per month and with less than 7m in your account as savings. Then you might wanna consider relocating to countries like Canada, Aussie or the US. Avoid UK and some other European countries by all means. For your case, it's obvious you're doing well from your write up, hence I wouldn't advise you relocate to uncertainties, even if you must do, acquire the right skills before you travel and do not make the mistake of being apart from your wife either by going first while she stays back or you sending her abroad.

Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by masamuel: 2:47am On Jun 13, 2023
Japa all the way.

Ensure you have the right information before you make a move.

For more information on Canada only https:///mwh2zw74

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

March 29 Total Solar Eclipse In Nigeria / Lady Cheats Death After Being Nearly Killed By A Vehicle Which Failed Brake.PICS / Nigeria Vs Lesotho: LASTMA Releases Travel Advisory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.