Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) (22034 Views)

Japa Or Stay In Nigeria / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by erico2k2(m): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:
Good day Nairalanders. Pls I need some mature advice because I’ve been in a dilemma for a long time now concerning relocating abroad or staying back in Nigeria.
First of all I’m not a japa advocate. I believe if you’re doing well in Nigeria then there’s no point relocating abroad but I feel there’s so much uncertainty and I don’t know what the future holds for me in this country.

Now I’m a married man of 30 years. I will turn 31 by this September. We have no child yet but wife is preg now. I have a B.Eng in petroleum Engineering but have never worked in my life. My current business is crypto trading which I have been doing for years now. During the 2021 crypto bull run I made lot of money and acquired some properties that’s currently valued atleast 60-70m naira in total. bought my car same year and got married same year to my long time Gf, settled some family members etc . I don’t have any other investments or business aside my properties and crypto portfolio because crypto trading has taken all my time and I won’t complain because so far it has been good. Making money in dollars while in Nigeria is bliss. Even though we have been in bear season since 2022, I still make some money every now and then that’s sustainable for now until we hit another bull run which is likely to happen from next year 2024.

My fear lies here, on the long run crypto trading is not sustainable. If not for 2021 bull run I don’t think I would be in this position and even the projected bull run next year is not 100% certain

I plan on learning a programming skill which is very difficult, I tried learning it late last year but stopped along the line because it was distracting me from trading and missing some opportunities in crypto because making money is most important. Coding would probably take me a few years before I start earning even though it is sustainable long term but crypto trading can be life changing but not sustainable long term . It’s more like a gamble most times.

My plan A, is to gather enough money from now till 2025 which is the duration of the projected bull run if it happens and start investing in real estate development, Like building and selling and other businesses too but I don’t know how feasible that is in our present day Nigeria and if I don’t make my target amount, I might have to start with the available resources present.

plan B, gather some money, learn a skill then relocate to Canada with my family via study route since I don’t have any real work experience aside crypto trading but that would mean me going to study and starting afresh.

For my wife, she also has a degree in Human Resources with just nysc as working experience. She learnt wig making and installation and has been doing her online biz selling wigs etc.

Abroad folks, what are my chances abroad considering my current profile. Is it worth it coming over there to start afresh
And build? I have heard so many things how it’s hard getting a job and you have to rely on survival jobs for the first few years expecially for someone without any work experience.

I really don’t like joining the bandwagon cos everyone seems to be leaving, I love to weigh my options and hate taking unnecessary risk that might lead to regrets, at the same time don’t want to regret not leaving since I’m still young and have the opportunity that’s why I’m here asking these questions to learn from experienced and matured family men home and abroad the action they would take. We learn everyday,

For my unborn kids, if everything checks out, my plan is to give birth to them in either Canada or US for the passport and raise them in Nigeria and when they are grown, send them to study there and that is only if I’m not relocating. And if I’m relocating, what are the in-demand skills and professions I have to take since it’s clear I might be going to school because I hate survival jobs. What is your advice pls.
Mature advice pls. Thank you 🙏
@justwise @Disguy

The answer is steering at you i n the face, if you got the means to relocate do so ASAP, do not let no man deceive you. Sake of your kids as well.Abroad is not all about money, you lern skills,ideas and have opportunities that are alien to us in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Emiron(m): 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2023
Make I give u advice bro don’t even think twice coz no time japa and ur unborn children will forever be grateful to you if na only ur own u fit afford go if na u and family u fit afford go there family no time I repeat no time
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by erico2k2(m): 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2023
chimpad:
You're rich and are better off in Nigeria. The abroad is a mad system. You make money, but the system is designed to take almost everything. For instance you said it's bliss to make money in dollars. It's not the same feeling for someone resident abroad. In the US, the Govt takes up to 40% of your crypto earnings. You have to declare that on your 1099. I guess in Nigeria you probably got away with no taxes asides the one you paid during the transactions. Taxes, taxes you will share all your earnings with the govt, pay high bills and insurance! There isn't anything superb about being abroad if you are making good money in Nigeria.
Security? Peace of mind? System that works? You have to pay heavily in Nigeria to have all those.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Freedom2023(m): 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:
Good day Nairalanders. Pls I need some mature advice because I’ve been in a dilemma for a long time now concerning relocating abroad or staying back in Nigeria.
First of all I’m not a japa advocate. I believe if you’re doing well in Nigeria then there’s no point relocating abroad but I feel there’s so much uncertainty and I don’t know what the future holds for me in this country.

Now I’m a married man of 30 years. I will turn 31 by this September. We have no child yet but wife is preg now. I have a B.Eng in petroleum Engineering but have never worked in my life. My current business is crypto trading which I have been doing for years now. During the 2021 crypto bull run I made lot of money and acquired some properties that’s currently valued atleast 60-70m naira in total. bought my car same year and got married same year to my long time Gf, settled some family members etc . I don’t have any other investments or business aside my properties and crypto portfolio because crypto trading has taken all my time and I won’t complain because so far it has been good. Making money in dollars while in Nigeria is bliss. Even though we have been in bear season since 2022, I still make some money every now and then that’s sustainable for now until we hit another bull run which is likely to happen from next year 2024.

My fear lies here, on the long run crypto trading is not sustainable. If not for 2021 bull run I don’t think I would be in this position and even the projected bull run next year is not 100% certain

I plan on learning a programming skill which is very difficult, I tried learning it late last year but stopped along the line because it was distracting me from trading and missing some opportunities in crypto because making money is most important. Coding would probably take me a few years before I start earning even though it is sustainable long term but crypto trading can be life changing but not sustainable long term . It’s more like a gamble most times.

My plan A, is to gather enough money from now till 2025 which is the duration of the projected bull run if it happens and start investing in real estate development, Like building and selling and other businesses too but I don’t know how feasible that is in our present day Nigeria and if I don’t make my target amount, I might have to start with the available resources present.

plan B, gather some money, learn a skill then relocate to Canada with my family via study route since I don’t have any real work experience aside crypto trading but that would mean me going to study and starting afresh.

For my wife, she also has a degree in Human Resources with just nysc as working experience. She learnt wig making and installation and has been doing her online biz selling wigs etc.

Abroad folks, what are my chances abroad considering my current profile. Is it worth it coming over there to start afresh
And build? I have heard so many things how it’s hard getting a job and you have to rely on survival jobs for the first few years expecially for someone without any work experience.

I really don’t like joining the bandwagon cos everyone seems to be leaving, I love to weigh my options and hate taking unnecessary risk that might lead to regrets, at the same time don’t want to regret not leaving since I’m still young and have the opportunity that’s why I’m here asking these questions to learn from experienced and matured family men home and abroad the action they would take. We learn everyday,

For my unborn kids, if everything checks out, my plan is to give birth to them in either Canada or US for the passport and raise them in Nigeria and when they are grown, send them to study there and that is only if I’m not relocating. And if I’m relocating, what are the in-demand skills and professions I have to take since it’s clear I might be going to school because I hate survival jobs. What is your advice pls.
@justwise @Disguy

Pls go with Plan B. God will order your steps in you IJN

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by sammirano: 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2023
Respect to your trading abilities. I believe you will do well in tech or maybe you kuku switch to finance (Investment). Finance is still in hot cake.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by OlawaleBammie: 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Sandralight:
Ok

Na contribution be that??

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Rubyjade: 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Do Nigerians regret leaving abroad?

Based on the experiences of my Naija Uncle's wife and friends, they miss the food (tough to get yams in particular), social atmosphere (although online forums help with this: she still texts in Pidgin to family and friends), and, to a lesser extent, the social attitudes.

Of course people miss the comforts of home, but Nigeria is not a comfortable place, so there is, quite frankly, less to miss.

That said, if Nigeria found effective leadership, and began to make needed improvements in security and infrastructure, we’d both happily move back. A Naija with even marginally better prospects of safety and improvements would attract many back home.

I love hot weather, travel to places with local customs and cultures, spicy food and cold beer. I still hope one day to start a school around Lokoja, or just north in the FCT. All we need is more reliable light, fewer kidnappings, and a president who cares as much about average citizens as he does about cows.

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Freedom2023(m): 4:18pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

Pls go with Plan B. God will order your steps in you IJN. Leave the country with your family.
I would like to seek for ur assistance so I can be able to transport to work tommorow. If u wouldn't mind, may u pls help me with two thousands?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by EgunMogaji2: 4:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
This is a very personal question.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Angelfrost(m): 4:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
chimpad:
You're rich and are better off in Nigeria. The abroad is a mad system. You make money, but the system is designed to take almost everything. For instance you said it's bliss to make money in dollars. It's not the same feeling for someone resident abroad. In the US, the Govt takes up to 40% of your crypto earnings. You have to declare that on your 1099. I guess in Nigeria you probably got away with no taxes asides the one you paid during the transactions. Taxes, taxes you will share all your earnings with the govt, pay high bills and insurance! There isn't anything superb about being abroad if you are making good money in Nigeria.

"If you are making good money in Nigeria"!

How many Nigerian working graduates make good money in Nigeria??! Or live like human beings with all that good money??!

No matter how little the money saved abroad is, when converted to Naira, with your ever declining currency, that's still more than many can save in Nigeria, even with all the stress here!
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Adewale1603(m): 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
My advice for you is to Japa to a sane climate, like abroad, since you are capable of it. Most people wants to leave Nigeria, but they don't have the means to do so. All these plans you've planned, is because you're alive, that's why you're able to make plans for your future. Nigeria is not a sane climate, not a safe place, no security, it's a zoo. You could be killed at any fucking time, you could be kidnapped and killed, anything could happen. Leave this shithole of a corn-tree if you value your life, that of your wife and unborn child and your future plans.

5 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by airsaylongcome: 4:28pm On Jun 12, 2023
Penguin2:

About materials becoming cost, shebi if materials are cost you factor it into the cost of building the property which will then determine how much you would sell.

This is not a very good piece of advice though. Yes he can factor the increased cost into his selling price, but would there be a demand at the higher selling price?

I have a friend abroad who opened a Dialysis Centre in Nigeria in 2021. Spent considerable resources importing equipments from the US, Turkey and Japan. He ended up closing the business because there was no demand at his selling price. This is a business that caters to a demographic that is conscious about and takes care of their health. Price increase meant a lot of the upper middle class couldn’t afford it. Real estate is mostly similar demographics to this healthcare business. Unless he is building for corrupt politicians, many Nigerians cannot afford the cost of buying a piece of real estate with the current state of the economy

4 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by millionboi2: 4:29pm On Jun 12, 2023
Follow this advice OP
chimpad:
Follow this advice op

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by GboyegaD(m): 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
I still don't understand how grown ups keep thinking they need people to validate their thoughts/actions. If you want to migrate, it should come from a place of conviction within yourself and not someone advising you on that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by money121(m): 4:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Angelfrost:

You mean you can't afford to go anywhere...!

No need for fake patriotism!

Even your elected leaders including Mr. President have all their families secured abroad!

Naija For Life

If you see my for oversea na vacation tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by ibtommy(m): 4:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kizzygentle:
Wetin be crypto.. Bro if u have made enough money to relocate with your family, please do... That's my candid advice..
Na y-y. If you know you know
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by sonofthunder: 4:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

It's only Nigerians that will graduate from school, setup a business and tell you they have never worked in their life.

So the business na wetin?

4 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by motionarena: 4:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

U in a good position to japa.
As u certain of your future.

If u go to a place like uk or canada with d knowledge u have so far u are covered.
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Iamzik: 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Michaelspresh:
Me wondering why on earth a sensible person that has money should stay in this Nigeria 😐

A lot of rich and sensible persons are in Nigeria. What's your point though?
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by shegzhkn: 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2023
Dude wants anchor baby but thinks staying back is okay - I am complete liberal as they come but the trump idea of stopping birthright citizenship is starting to make sense.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by bigtt76(f): 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by babyfaceafrica: 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

This is not a very good piece of advice though. Yes he can factor the increased cost into his selling price, but would there be a demand at the higher selling price?

I have a friend abroad who opened a Dialysis Centre in Nigeria in 2021. Spent considerable resources importing equipments for the US, Turkey and Japan. He ended up closing the business because there was no demand at his selling price. This is a business that caters to a demographic that is conscious aloof and takes care of their health. Price increase meant a lot of the upper middle class couldn’t afford it. Real estate is mostly similar demographics to this healthcare business. Unless he is building for corrupt politicians, many Nigerians cannot afford the cost of buying a piece of real estate with the current state of the economy

Fair point

He could build houses and rent them to mid class people. Yaba, Ikeja, surulere, are good routes.

The only problem is who is going to oversea it. Does he have brothers or sister that are reliable or trust a caretaker

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by SoliBayNG: 4:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kizzygentle:
Wetin be crypto.. Bro if u have made enough money to relocate with your family, please do... That's my candid advice..

Person say e acquire property of about 60m via crypto, you dey ask am wetin be crypto.

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Iamzik: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
Adewale1603:
My advice for you is to Japa to a sane climate, like abroad, since you are capable of it. Most people wants to leave Nigeria, but they don't have the means to do so. All these plans you've planned, is because you're alive, that's why you're able to make plans for your future. Nigeria is not a sane climate, not a safe place, no security, it's a zoo. You could be killed at any fucking time, you could be kidnapped and killed, anything could happen. Leave this shithole of a corn-tree if you value your life, that of your wife and unborn child and your future plans.

Easy nau boda wale
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by asitis752: 4:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
Making money in dollars while spending in naira is the best. If I were you, I'll go for a mentorship program in forex trading by engaging forex billionaires like Jef Beson, Habby forex, Willis and the rest. I hate the word japa

5 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by lollybizzu(m): 4:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
I'd advise you relocate. Study route is good; just choose an IT course that won't stress you too much. You can continue your crypto biz while you go to school to establish yourself in the long term.

You can even do physical business if you have the capital and go through the necessary procedures.

Finally, it's a good environment for your kids to grow.

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by donogaga(m): 4:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Chijeep:
As long as I no lazy ooo
Omo na japa any day anytime twice on Monday.
#IgboBlood

With that spirit and mentality, I bet you won't regret it.

If you travel with the right mindset, you will have nothing to regret.

2 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by DaveOnuoha92(m): 4:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Selfkontrol:

@justwise @Disguy

Relocating doesn’t mean you can’t pay visit back to Nigeria during seasons, Home is Home 🏡
The primary aim is not to die in this god forsaken country
Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by millionboi2: 4:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Andrenalin:
Personally , I will advice u go with that option of your kid born abroad , train here and send back in future time for higher institution… Also , I don’t buy the idea of working for anyone if you already having some soft skills like you is crypto. My advice on career path is to enroll in a coding sch, and devote some of your time to master the skill very well. Then you can some intern job , over time you can venture into a self made business in your own skill where u can assist yourself. My one sent…
he told you that his crypto trading is like a gamble, meaning he doesn't trust it.

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by airsaylongcome: 4:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
sonofthunder:

It's only Nigerians that will graduate from school, setup a business and tell you they have never worked in their life.

So the business na wetin?

Lol! The business na “play” na. It’s unbelievable the number of people who think owning a business isn’t “working”. I guess all the thinking and strategizing they have to do for the business to succeed is not “work” for them. They need to see kids if the super-rich who don’t have to lift a finger. Then they will appreciate all the work they have to do to keep their business afloat

1 Like

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Go to Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen Scotland and study oil and gas engineering on MSC and trust me, that course is hot cake right now in Scotland and you can easily land a certificate of sponsorship job after graduation

3 Likes

Re: Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) by Tayorshd87: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Teach me how to make money with crypto here in Naina then I won't talk about Japa again iny life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Woman Dies As FRSC Officials Rescue Baby From Lone Accident In Ondo / Lady Cheats Death After Being Nearly Killed By A Vehicle Which Failed Brake.PICS / See The Condition Of Roads In Igbogbo Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.