Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? (10771 Views)

Does Any Bank Grant Student Loan In Nigeria? / Student Loan Urgently Needed(3.6m) / Student Loan For UK Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by FreeStuffsNG: 9:54am On Jun 13, 2023
Student Loan Law: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? By Sunkanmi Vaughan

Nigerians were greeted with the cheering news that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, assented to the Student Loan Bill passed by the 9th National Assembly.

As a Nigerian, I feel the joy of most students, especially the indigent ones yearning for this kind of opportunity. I am sure it's a great way for the President to celebrate this year's June 12 Democracy Day with the Nigerian students.

On this note of gratitude, I appreciate you, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, former Lagos State Governor, for assenting to the Student Loan Bill without delay.

Thank you Right Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila, Surulere 1 Federal Constituency, Lagos and now Chief of Staff to the President, for initiating that bill and getting it passed. It's obvious that everything was meticulously planned and the hardwork paid off.

Congratulations to every Great Nigerian student who now have a succour to hope for from this initiative. Your already burdened relatives helping you and struggling to pay your tuition fees can now rest and save funds for their own needs.

As great as this law is, I believe it is not yet uhuru. This law is like a forerunner to what I expect for the program to be sustainable and impactful.

My expectations are on:

1.Who will the President appoint as Chairman of The Nigerian Education Fund (NEF) created by the law ? The nation needs a competent patriotic Nigerian with the integrity of former President Muhammadu Buhari who headed the Petroleum Trust Fund( PTF) used as intervention funds for tertiary institutions in the mid 90s.

The character and competence of the people in the management team to oversee the Nigeria Education Fund is critical.

2. Education, particularly tertiary education, is no longer on the exclusive list. As noble and great as the law is, the Federal Government takes the credit for leading the way but can not be conferred with a monopoly in tertiary education Student Loan Provision service .This is not the intention of taking tertiary education from exclusive list to the residual list in the nation's constitution. States and Local Government Areas ( LGAs) are closer to these students so I prefer that this law be domesticated in each state of the Federation and states fund their own Student Loan Service provider. If states do not have their own, politics of identity of the major beneficiaries of this national fund may soon set in.

3. This law is not clear on who regulates the service it provides. This is a complex process involving different Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) , commercial banks, all tertiary institutions in the nation and law enforcement agencies to go after those who default from paying back their student loan when due. In my opinion, the Nigerian Education Fund( NEF) can not be a service provider of Student Loan service and serve as a regulator at the same time. Without a regulator in place, I am concerned about the period when states enact their own laws and implement. How do we avoid an overlap of roles and abuse that may arise from the system. Who ensures that the beneficiaries who default do not walk away with the tax payers money? A serious concern I expressed in my earlier article titled "5 Years Before Going Abroad Doctors Bill: A Clinical Stitch In Time"

Who ensures that the nation gets real value from giving out interest-free loans to these students who may decide to flee abroad immediately after their training? This is where a regulator is absolutely required.

The regulator can not be the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) neither can the different regulators of tertiary education like National Universities Commission( NUC) regulate Student Loan Service. So who will regulate and have the power to ensure standards in the Student Loan Provision services? Can the Federal Government make the Nigerian Education Fund a service provider while it amends the law to create a National Student Loan Commission to regulate the service provided by NEF and the expected state equivalents?

4. Can we incentivise private operators to bring in private funds into that space? I am considering the opportunity for private Student Loan service providers as alternatives to the Government Student Loan service providers to give student loans at not more than 5% interest to all Nigerian tertiary institution students , students of institutions that fail to meet the 30-day deadline to submit forms or/and students of parents earning more than N500,000 but not more than N1,000,000 per annum.

Conclusion

In my opinion, an omnibus Student Loan Fund service provider owned by FG, over time, may have difficulty with quality assurance of the value this brilliant initiative will bring so I hereby suggest to both the executive and legislative arms to introduce a regulator for the Student Loan Service Provider(s), States empowered to have their own Student Loan Service Provider before the end of this year while private Student Loan Service Providers can start by next year under regulation.

https://saharareporters.com/2023/06/13/student-loan-law-not-yet-uhuru-what-do-next-sunkanmi-vaughan

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by FreeStuffsNG: 9:54am On Jun 13, 2023
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has led the way but....
Gracias to the great mynd44, nlfpmod too for your great work for Nigerian students.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by dondodo: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2023
Obi is coming

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by ybalogs(m): 10:21am On Jun 13, 2023
If implemented well , I think it's a step in the right direction , it's done abroad and it has helped a lot to access quality education.

5 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by slawomir: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Absolute gibberish

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by ybalogs(m): 10:21am On Jun 13, 2023
PBAT is neither perfect nor infallible. No one is!

But the critics should be a little objective.

A man just signed a bill into law an hour ago and the naysayers have said it will fail just because Abacha failed in a similar endeavour. We were even still debating the deep details of the contents of the law, yet someone here summarised emphatically that it will fail because a former leader failed in a similar endeavour.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2023
There is a reason I have stopped being carried away by all these. Until proper implementation before you celebrate. E get why.

No be today they begin sign

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Jahzrockballer(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Omo
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by tiswell(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Nonsense,
Nigeria is not yet ripe for such laws,as they would soon bastardize the whole process with corruption

12 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by princeade86(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Wuruwuru from d beginning. Also, why using integrity sentence with buhari? Are u high or what.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by flexyrule(m): 10:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Not yet "Uhuru"

If you know you know....!!!!

Hundred!

1 Like

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by NobleSeed(m): 10:23am On Jun 13, 2023
grin grin cool

10 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by AntiChristian: 10:23am On Jun 13, 2023
Abeg first remove that 5% interest you are adding!

Na that one you use spoil everything!
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Nitingale(m): 10:23am On Jun 13, 2023
Following..
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by STEWpid(f): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Chai..

Uhuru Kenyatta.
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by ybalogs(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Hahaha...

1. You create a government bank.

2. You give the bank government money

3. They loan the money to indigent students without interest or collateral.

So

- who will pay salaries and overhead for the bank?

- Who will fund loan recovery?

We have been this road before

9 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by dyera(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Tinubu is working hard to play to the gallery because of how Peter Obi is currently grabbing him by the balls.

9 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by onthehill: 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Ye
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Whois(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
They want to indirectly rob Peter to pay Paul. If you know you know

2 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by richidinho(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
grin
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by drlaykay(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
Of course, it's not expected to soar in the beginning but later on, it will.
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by MrCGPA(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2023
If You are a Civil Servant, you must be very Careful before Signing for any Student as a Guarantor for the Loan. If the Student couldn't pay back after Graduation for some Period your Bank account will be Questioned.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by princeade86(m): 10:25am On Jun 13, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
There is a reason I have stopped being carried away by all these. Until proper implementation before you celebrate. E get why.

No be today they begin sign
abi. What happened to 774000 jobs from all local government? They need to prob keyamo as well.

7 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:26am On Jun 13, 2023
princeade86:
abi. What happened to 774000 jobs from all local government? They need to prob keyamo as well.
Don't mind them. Most Nigerians are myopic and will always be taken for a ride. Any small news gives them fake hope

9 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Omooba77: 10:26am On Jun 13, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://saharareporters.com/2023/06/13/student-loan-law-not-yet-uhuru-what-do-next-sunkanmi-vaughan
The first issue is definition of indigent students.....
According to the bill, family must make less than N500k income per annum....
Any data to back this up......
Let's wait and see.....
It is not a new law.....
People abused it, when they refused to pay back.........
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Johnrake69: 10:26am On Jun 13, 2023
So people still dey mention Buhari and Integrity in same sentence?

Lol… charlatans everywhere. You people want to hang Emefiele but keep praising the boss he was 💯 loyal to. Nigerians never serious.

10 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by sencekompis: 10:26am On Jun 13, 2023
God bless TINUBU

3 Likes

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by lolu2019: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2023
Look at the way Private school owners are lamenting.Tinubu don spoil market.

1 Like

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by fixitbyjal(m): 10:27am On Jun 13, 2023
I TRACK LOST OR STOLEN iPhone/Android

A trial will convince you
Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2023
No matter what, implementation and sustainability will not be as easy as it sounds

1 Like

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by SmartyPants(m): 10:27am On Jun 13, 2023
Who wrote this? The law is clear on who will regulate...there shall be a Nigerian Education Bank for that purpose.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: STUDENT LOAN LAW: Not Yet Uhuru. What To Do Next? by ArewaNightmare: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2023
grin SHAM 😆😆😆

APC MAGIC ✨⭐

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aim For The Skies With AIMS Asset Management Ltd / Tobechi Onwuhara: The King Of Home Equity Fraud / New Note Crisis: CBN May Print Naira Abroad To Ease Cash Crunch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.