Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,580 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate (59954 Views)

Banks To Pay Customers Money Sent From Abroad In Naira / Man Cries Out As His Goods Worth Millions Floats On Water In Ariaria (video) / CBN Orders Banks To Spy On 19 Persons (Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by HonNL: 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2023
Banks being told that supply and demand will determine rates

Nigeria resets monetary policy after sacking central bank head

Nigeria is on the verge of making a decision to allow its local currency to trade more freely against the dollar, three people familiar with the matter said.

A discussion on letting the currency trade more freely is ongoing at the central bank, a senior banking official said, asking not to be named because the deliberations are private. Directives on the currency could be issued later today or latest tomorrow, the person said.

SOURCE

The Central Bank of Nigeria has allowed commercial banks to freely trade foreign exchange at any rate.

The announcement comes after Godwin Emefiele’s suspension as CBN’s governor.

SOURCE

Nigeria has officially floated its naira currency after years of sticking with a hard peg that spooked investors and drained dollars from the economy.

Sources familiar with the matter told BusinessDay Wednesday that a market rate based on a willing buyer and a willing seller is currently being quoted by banks who sent out emails to some customers confirming the change.

The I & E window is now quoting a range of between N750 -N755/$.

The rate could go as high as N800 by the end of today, according to some bankers, who say the next move now should be to prioritise supply of dollars to support the naira float.

SOURCE

70 Likes 13 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Tntsi: 12:19pm On Jun 14, 2023
Dont be deceived by all these long grammar and paid media promotion gigs all to promote tinubu.
All these have no effect common man on the street.

All these noise being made are paid media promotions to deceive those that will be deceived.

There is a moral burden on tinubu that is too heavy. He did not win the people. He does not have the people's mandate. And so he and his team are bombing the media space with flashy stuffs that have no content.
Watch out for more and more media propagandas and thrash in the name of one thing or the other.

Nobody who steals political power uses it for the good of the people.

508 Likes 77 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Lyrics269: 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2023
Baba tinubu is the right man.
Only him can restore what the worms have eaten
Baba Tinubu to the world

203 Likes 25 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by hardywaltz(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2023
Let's see how it goes

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Globad(f): 12:26pm On Jun 14, 2023
Hope people can now see what is meant by purposeful and deliberate leadership

With this policy, more foreign exchange inflow will come in. Naira may depreciate in the short run but it will appreciate in the long run

143 Likes 21 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Jorussia(m): 12:27pm On Jun 14, 2023
This should have been done a long time ago.
Three economic oddities that have bled this
country for the past 3 years are about to end.
Fuel subsidy,multiple corrupt fx,and hopefully
Organised crude oil theft that has made us
Lose billions of dollars are buried in first two months of PBAT administration. PMB really brought the standard of so low,that many people began to think that everybody in APC are idiots like buhari.I pray the Lord help PBAT
to achieve uncommon success in the economy and security of this country in Jesus name Amen.

146 Likes 21 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by RawSex(m): 12:27pm On Jun 14, 2023
Nigerians brace up!

The times of doom are over!

Jagaban is here to give us a RENEWED HOPE!

The time is now!

123 Likes 14 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by 9jatriot(m): 12:27pm On Jun 14, 2023
8 years is a long time.

With no bad news to report since the man demma call Tinubu ascended power, they have decided in their whatsapp group to call any news that sounds good as propaganda
Tntsi:
Dont be deceived by all these long grammar and paid media promotion gigs all to promote tinubu.

All these have no effect common man on the street.

162 Likes 27 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by OfoIgbo: 12:29pm On Jun 14, 2023
It seems as though Tinubu has abandoned his Agbado proposals, and decided to settle for proposals marshaled out by Peter Obi during the campaign season.

That is good news.

I do hope they totally destroy those initial proposals by Tinubu to recruit 50 millions youths into the army and feed them agbado.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by 9jatriot(m): 12:30pm On Jun 14, 2023
Hmmm, I was one of those who always opposed the free float because I felt we were not earning enough, but this your reason sounds sensible. I know FPI avoided Meffy and his voodoo policies because they could not repatriate money.

Anyway, we'll see
Globad:

With this policy, more foreign exchange inflow will come in. Naira may depreciate in the short run but it will appreciate in the long run

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by iwaeda: 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2023
HonNL:
Banks being told that supply and demand will determine rates

Nigeria resets monetary policy after sacking central bank head

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

Nlfpmod Mynd44

Free fall market. At any rate. grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Globad(f): 12:43pm On Jun 14, 2023
9jatriot:
Hmmm, I was one of those who always opposed the free float because I felt we were not earning enough, but this your reason sounds sensible. I know FPI avoided Meffy and his voodoo policies because they could not repatriate money.

Anyway, we'll see

Exactly

Dollar hoarders will offload

Speculators will offload

Foreign investors will come in

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Globad(f): 12:44pm On Jun 14, 2023
OfoIgbo:
It seems as though Tinubu has abandoned his Agbado proposals, and decided to settle for proposals marshaled out by Peter Obi during the campaign season.

That is good news.

I do hope they totally destroy those initial proposals by Tinubu to recruit 50 millions youths into the army and feed them agbado.

When did Obi say this?

Obi that supported the currency confiscation programme?

101 Likes 14 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Sablexxxtoons: 12:57pm On Jun 14, 2023
Amazing job Jagabaan is doing in such a short time ..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by oluwaseyi0: 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2023
unfortunately this is the only way forward

we can't keep subsidizing dollars for import

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by EmmaLege: 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2023
Haaa
Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by mrvitalis(m): 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2023
This means fuel would be 850 minimum

I hope they know what they are doing

Price of petrol is 1.3 dollars... What ever the exchange rate is just multiple by 1.3 that would be price of petrol

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by unclejb2(m): 12:58pm On Jun 14, 2023
How much is the CBN trading it?

Why all the secrecy in the devaluation of the naira?

Why can't these people do one thing transparently?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Shigishege2: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
Asiwaju in the building!!!!

16 Likes

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by arejibadz(m): 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
ok
Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Winters23: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
shocked
Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Shigishege2: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
This means fuel would be 850 minimum in alaigbo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Redoil: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2023
Jorussia:
This should have been done a long time ago.
Three economic oddities that have bled this
country for the past 3 years are about to end.
Fuel subsidy,multiple corrupt fx,and hopefully
Organised crude oil theft that has made us
Lose billions of dollars are buried in first two months of PBAT administration. PMB really brought the standard of so low,that many people began to think that everybody in APC are idiots like buhari.I pray the Lord help PBAT
to achieve uncommon success in the economy and security of this country in Jesus name Amen.
sorry to ask you
do you understand the basic economics of international trade in relation to FX?

8 Likes

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Orathird: 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Hmmm
Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by dazzlingd(m): 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Is this trial and error or what??

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Redoil: 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Globad:

sorry to ask you

12 Likes

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by Redoil: 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Shigishege2:
Asiwaju in the building!!!!
sorry to ask you

4 Likes

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by mannobi(m): 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Economic decision. If this should eventually boost our currency then Emefiele and the formal cabals deserve death sentence

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate by princeemma69: 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2023
Will this policy work? Anyway, I wish tinubu's administration all the best of luck

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FCMB Replies Customer Who Requested For Loan To Buy Sex Doll / Young Boy Storms Enugu Market With His Friends In His 'Self Made' Vehicle.Photos / I Got Credit Alert From A Loan App I Did Not Apply For (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.