Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call (1185 Views)

Olisa Agbakoba Applauds President Tinubu On Floating The Naira And Subsidy / Ben Murray Bruce Praises President Bola Tinubu For Floating The Naira / Rinu: Scarcity Of Naira Is Only Going To Help Politicians Buy Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 8:33am On Jun 15, 2023
But those who just want to see the negative in everything he does, would argue otherwise. And those who have been making a fortune from the slow death of our economy will keep fueling their myopic narratives.

How can a country have a street exchange rate that is double the official rate? That is simply economic genocide as it keeps increasing the demand for foreign currency because of those who are profiting from the gap through black market sales.

With this regularisation, I believe the rate will drop in time, due to lower demand (drop in round tripping, black marketeering and local oil refinement).

Tinubu is indeed economically savvy and knows the right decisions needed to steer Nigeria back to the right path.

Sensible arguments welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by shortgun(m): 8:52am On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:
But those who just want to see the negative in everything he does, would argue otherwise. And those who have been making a fortune from the slow death of our economy will keep fueling their myopic narratives.

How can a country have a street exchange rate that is double the official rate? That is simply economic genocide as it keeps increasing the demand for foreign currency because of those who are profiting from the gap through black market sales.

With this regularisation, I believe the rate will drop in time, due to lower demand (drop in round tripping, black marketeering and local oil refinement).

Tinubu is indeed economically savvy and knows the right decisions needed to steer Nigeria back to the right path.

This decision is the most senseless economic policy.
Tinubu has succeeded in killing the naira, wait and see what happens in few months.

No country totally floats it's currency including the USA.
Some of you are saying market forces will determine exchange rate but you should be asking yourselves is what constitutes "market forces" in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Padipadi(m): 8:56am On Jun 15, 2023
I agree too.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by CodeTemplar: 9:06am On Jun 15, 2023
Only prostitute who are addicted to Brazilian hair and ipjones will see this as a good call.

It means the forex rates have been collapsed into one window unlike before when production related imports enjoyed lower rates and luxurious goods suffered in the black market.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by helinues: 9:45am On Jun 15, 2023
shortgun:

Tinubu has succeeded in killing the naira, wait and see what happens in few months.

Some of you are saying market forces will determine exchange rate but you should be asking yourselves is what constitutes "market forces" in Nigeria

The floating of Naira means some of those currency exchangers would be out of business cos it would be more available at bank and cheaper.

There is nothing like scarcity of dollars but instead hoarding. If the hoarding is no longer there, the rate can be fixed whether from bank or from Mallam exchanger

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by shortgun(m): 10:10am On Jun 15, 2023
helinues:

The floating of Naira means some of those currency exchangers would be out of business cos it would be more available at bank and cheaper.

There is nothing like scarcity of dollars but instead hoarding. If the hoarding is no longer there, the rate can be fixed whether from bank or from Mallam exchanger
See the way you typed like you know what you are saying 😂😂

Let me give you a little assignment, what will happen to an economy suffering high inflation that adopts floating exchange?
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 2:40pm On Jun 15, 2023
shortgun:

Tell me countries that have official rate that differs from the rates on the streets.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Only prostitute who are addicted to Brazilian hair and ipjones will see this as a good call.

It means the forex rates have been collapsed into one window unlike before when production related imports enjoyed lower rates and luxurious goods suffered in the black market.

How many producers, especially small scale ones, do you think were able to access forex at official rates in reality? Many manufacturers often had to resort to obtaining forex at black market rate. Only well connected big players could boast of getting CBB rates and not even consistently.

The float makes business easier for SMEs as black market rates will eventually drop.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Saintinoo(m): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

Tinubu didn't float the naira, you don't float something you fixed, he fixed naira at 635 or there about, so where is the floating?
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by CodeTemplar: 2:50pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

How many producers, especially small scale ones, do you think were able to access forex at official rates in reality? Many manufacturers often had to resort to obtaining forex at black market rate. Only well connected big players could boast of getting CBB rates and not even consistently.

The float makes business easier for SMEs as black market rates will eventually drop.
So because your oga at the top was clueless about how to check sharp practices by corrupt officials and big men, he made everybody suffer.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by CodeTemplar: 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2023
Saintinoo:

Tinubu didn't float the naira, you don't float something you fixed, he fixed naira at 635 or there about, so where is the floating?
he floated it oga. That's where itmis for now, when market equilibriums change, it will adjust accordingly.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by shortgun(m): 3:10pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

Tell me countries that have official rate that differs from the rates on the streets.
Japan, India, Mexico, USA, China. I can go on and on
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Flets: 3:13pm On Jun 15, 2023
Floating the naira is a very wrong move.

We do not have sufficient fx to float the naira. So-called market forces will drive exchange rate to 1000naira per USD

CBN will play catch up with speculators and banks if the naira is truly floated
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by keymatt(m): 3:15pm On Jun 15, 2023
Good call yes. That doesn't change the fact that he's a Mandate thief who will soon be booted out for the rightful winner 🥇 😎
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by ivolt: 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

Every country does!
Even with the Naira floating.
There will still be two different rates, the only difference being the margin between the two.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by ivolt: 3:19pm On Jun 15, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Producers my foot.
Can you list the industries where these producers enjoy lower rates and how
such rates reflect in their prices by resisting inflation?
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by CodeTemplar: 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2023
ivolt:

Producers my foot.
Can you list the industries where these producers enjoy lower rates and how
such rates reflect in their prices by resisting inflation?
production related imports. Example is petrol. NNPCL used the I&E window to import it otherwise it would have been around N780 when it was deregulated late last month. That petrol is what short distance wholesalers use to move foods. Farmers too power water pumps with it.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by banku: 3:49pm On Jun 15, 2023
Does Nigeria print foreign currencies or fake currencies enough to supply the demand of Nigerians for foreign currencies?

Nobody can justify two rates. One for the well connected and another for average Nigerians that need it for various reasons.

No country in the world float its currency without control. In the USA, Canada, Britain etc various banks have slightly different rates, even retailer money exchange rates at their airports.

USA Federal Reserve manipulates rate the same way Nigeria Central Bank does through buying, selling and political accusation of other countries. China does not listen to them and manipulates its rate.

But USA print enough dollars to satisfy buyers around the world including Chinese and Nigerians. Who buys Naira around the world to float it like Zimbabwe dollars? Stop fooling people as if there is an economic skill to make Naira stronger. Since Naira has been going down, has it ever gone up?

Black markets existed in Nigeria even when it was illegal. The problem of round tripping is so serious in Nigeria without consequences that even the Governor of Central Bank has his own shops.

No country, I repeat, no country allow its currency to float aimlessly without control. If you know any African country that has recovered from floating, tell us.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by SpecialAdviser(m): 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

Someone like me is not an economist. If you like call me a pessimist. I can only celebrate if the result comes good on a long run. Its good he is doing something differently. Let's wait and see
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by chidiokay: 5:26pm On Jun 15, 2023
shortgun:

Do you even know the parallel market is the true reflection of economic reality of any country
Do you even know dual exchange rates provoke distortions by manipulating relative prices in the economy and open opportunities for rent-seeking behavior for those who have access to preferential rates. therefore eliminating dual exchange rates would lead to a more efficient application of market-driven relative prices to allocate resources in the economy.

Can we even fool ourselves that CBN Fx at the official rate, are duly alloted or served. just few people ripping the country off, Mr A who needs $30 collect $100 cos of influence, sells $70 at black market makes ridiculous gain at the detriment of the economy & people, that as being our reality for years. the true of test of any economy theory or policy is the effect on the economy over a reasonable time frame, using 4yrs does the reality of the economic reflect postive or growth. Tell me what i don't know

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by mrvitalis(m): 6:04pm On Jun 15, 2023
Escapist:

Are you ready to but petrol for 800 ? If yes then sure
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by emerged01(m): 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2023
shortgun:

So what do you advice? Pls,when you criticize someone's position on an issue,always come up with a solution. Dont be like a nagging wife.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Saintinoo(m): 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2023
CodeTemplar:
he floated it oga. That's where itmis for now, when market equilibriums change, it will adjust accordingly.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 8:34pm On Jun 15, 2023
ivolt:

Every country does!
Even with the Naira floating.
There will still be two different rates, the only difference being the margin between the two.

I am referring to those with significant differences please.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 8:35pm On Jun 15, 2023
shortgun:

Japan, India, Mexico, USA, China. I can go on and on

I am referring to those with significant differences please.
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Escapist(f): 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2023
chidiokay:

Do you even know the parallel market is the true reflection of economic reality of any country
Do you even know dual exchange rates provoke distortions by manipulating relative prices in the economy and open opportunities for rent-seeking behavior for those who have access to preferential rates. therefore eliminating dual exchange rates would lead to a more efficient application of market-driven relative prices to allocate resources in the economy.

Can we even fool ourselves that CBN Fx at the official rate, are duly alloted or served. just few people ripping the country off, Mr A who needs $30 collect $100 cos of influence, sells $70 at black market makes ridiculous gain at the detriment of the economy & people, that as being our reality for years. the true of test of any economy theory or policy is the effect on the economy over a reasonable time frame, using 4yrs does the reality of the economic reflect postive or growth. Tell me what i don't know

Gbam!
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Balogunodua(m): 7:03am On Jun 16, 2023
Obi-dundi followers are always bitter...like why?

Fools who failed economics in school coming to tell us how this policy is bad cheesy
Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Svoboda(m): 7:55am On Jun 16, 2023
CodeTemplar:

How many raw materials importers got dollars at the official rate?
MAN has been crying its voice hoarse at this inability.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by ybalogs(m): 7:59am On Jun 16, 2023
Surround Yourself With;
People Who Make You Happy.
People Who Make You Laugh
People Who Help You When You're In Need
People Who Would Never Take Advantage Of You
People Who Genuinely Care

They Are The Ones Worth Keeping In Your Life. Everyone Else Is Just Passing Through.

Good Morning To You... Yes You !

...and do have a blissful and weekend.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Epistasis(m): 8:02am On Jun 16, 2023
Don't waste your time explaining arithmetic to obidafts, they don't have the mind to comprehend it.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by Epistasis(m): 8:05am On Jun 16, 2023
This was the stock market response to floating of the Naira.

Re: Tinubu Floating The Naira Is A Good Call by CodeTemplar: 9:06am On Jun 16, 2023
Svoboda:

How many raw materials importers got dollars at the official rate?
MAN has been crying its voice hoarse at this inability.
The solution would have been to address the forex roundtrip practice and not just collapsing rates. Collapsing rates itself isn't that bad but I think the luxurious goods should be heavily taxed when coming in to discourage patronizers of luxurious foreign goods. Tobacco, wines, hair extension, toothpick and brushes, iPhone, bleaching cream, perfume etc should attract a demand crippling tax in addition to single exchange rates being effected. This will drive demand of forex down as prices of these luxurious foreign goods discourage local demand naturally leaving industries and producers to go for forex.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Again Tinubu Caught And Exposed In The Web Of Lies / Fact: CSU Replacement Certificates Must Have Original Signatures And Logo / Whitehouse Meal: Is Peter Obi Wrong Or Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.