Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria (37955 Views)

FG To Begin Repatriation Of Nigerian Refugees From Cameroon, Niger, Chad / Niger, Benin, Togo Pay Nigeria N2.04bn Electricity Bill / Togo, Niger, Benin Owe Nigeria ₦32.04 Billion For Electricity Supplied In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by nairalanda1(m): 9:22am On Jun 17, 2023
ZombiePUNISHER:
undecided

Propaganda

Those countries did not lament in 2012 when Jonathan removed it..

lagos Ibadan media at it again this morning

Did you know that the current administration protested against the removal of subsidy ..
called him or sort of unprintable names..

Did you know that the imbeciles supporting and commending this same president because he's their "son" carried a coffin for Jonathan in 2012 for removing subsidy..

They even said subsidy doesn't exist undecided

What best describes Hypocrites?..

what best describes Self Sabotage?..

what best describes Tribalism?

How can removing Emefiele and Bawa, probing them without mentioning their boss Buhari .. to put your own candidates transmits to an achievement?..

There will be owambe when Tinubu removes all service chiefs to install his men then ..

APc Buhari lowered the bar of governance so much that if Tinubu sneezes, it's an achievement.. I mean it took Buhari 6 months to appoint his ministers..
Bloody hell.

Agreed they are hypocrites, and agree that Buhari too was wrong to oppose fuel subsidy removal in 2012, and Tinubu, being a captain of industry should have known better.

But that was then, and this is now. And subsidy has to go now , because right now we are borrowing to fund the thing in its entirety.

Plus, GEJ should have just told Nigerians to shut up, that they knew nothing, and removed subsidy. Am serious. Good leaders should take the bull by the horns. At the end of the day, we were already losing billions to subsidy back then (there was live daylight robbery then of subsidy money...the likes of which eventually forced Buhari to make NNPC sole importer when he took power). And not only GEJ...all our previous leaders from 1973 should have done the same at one time, and we would have long since gotten rid of the thing.

But no one was bold enough to do that because they did not want to lose power. Yes, even people like Abacha.

And even Tinubu is removing subsidy not because he wants to...and no I am not defending him, since I have known that subsidy is a drain on a nation's resources, and keeping it wrecks the economy well well long tern, but because he has no choice. As I said, we are borrowing to pay for the subsidy, and we still owe NNPCL 2.8 trillion naira outstanding.

So, hypocrisiy, or not, we are not the masters of our destiny right now.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Codes151(m): 9:23am On Jun 17, 2023
This are really Nigerian best neighbors.

Ghana, SA them just Dey hate
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Nicenixon: 9:32am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

The FG should do well to also stop Nigeria from supplying Ghana and other countries electricity. Of course I don't expect the drug lord to do this because he is a fool. The werey is desperately trying to buy his way and win the heart of Nigerians but he has failed already. Obi will rearrange this country when he comes onboard. I'll urge the election tribunal to hurry up and do the needful ASAP.
That fool is better than Peter Obi and your whole generation to come.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by nairalanda1(m): 9:34am On Jun 17, 2023
viodemus:
Many people do not burn down their house because of a few roaches. What a rational person would do, is clean up better, block some openings, and maybe spray the house.

He just wants to control the subsidy money, and divert as much as possible to his and associates pseudo accounts. Plus un official oil wells that he will be given and some he will seize.

He is so mentally and physically lazy, that he doesn't know how to honestly help the country. Someone so used to stealing and taking a personal financial cut at everything he can. It is a hard habit to break away from.

Moreover, those countries were buying the fuel, it wasn't free. We have an unbelievable amount of oil, so it was selling very fast. Mismanagement made us not get the best of the oil blessings.

Good point.

But, and this is the issue...the real problem with subsidy is not the smuggling. Smuggling is part of the problem, a symptom. Not the real issue.

The real issue is that the production cost and transport cost always rises.

As an example, let's pretend that fuel is still being sold at N65 a liter today.

In 2012, the landing cost of fuel at January was N99 per liter. As at May 31 this year,landing cost was N378. As at September 2022, landing cost was N502.

Now subtract N65 from all those sums...and subsidy costs rises from N34 per liter in 2012 to as much as 437 per liter.

Add these facts

1.Amount of fuel consumed is rising year in year out.

2.From 2014 April to 2021 December, price of oil...source of most of our forex...iecrude, has been below 100 dollars, and even as low as 30 dollars for some time. That reduces our ability to earn forex...and pay for our budget...meaning we have to take loans...and have been taking loans.

Now 1 and 2 have an effect on our budget.

But we have to pay for subsides...so we keep on paying a large amount of our budget...until, assuming fuel was N65 at 2022, we would have been paying far more than what we earned in revenue for subsidy....and we would be borrowing for federal spending, and paying part of the subsidy.

Sounds crazy, doen't it.

Now even with partial removals, manifesting as fuel price increases, we are spending 96% of our revenue on subsidy payments, and borrowing for the rest, plus for budget spending.

With all that in mind, we can stop smuggling, close the cracks....and the problem won't end.

3 Likes

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by TollinsN: 9:42am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

The FG should do well to also stop Nigeria from supplying Ghana and other countries electricity. Of course I don't expect the drug lord to do this because he is a fool. The werey is desperately trying to buy his way and win the heart of Nigerians but he has failed already. Obi will rearrange this country when he comes onboard. I'll urge the election tribunal to hurry up and do the needful ASAP.
This is actually a statement from an ingrate. Because you hated someone for reasons known to you does not mean you should be blind and deaf towards what he's doing rightly.
So many government had chicken out of subsidy removal in the past. He even said in his campaign that NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU PROTEST OOOO. I WILL REMOVE SUBSIDY. This means he's prepared and mean.
Point to Development/s ascribed to Obi in Anambra for his 8 yrs in office. He didn't even conduct Local government elections in Anambra for 8 yrs. Pocketing their money. He is the biggest political pretender in history. A religious/ethnic bigot who call elections a religious war while Oyedepo was saying he believed that.. He even said CHRISTIANS SHOULD TAKE BACK THEIR COUNTRY in a church during campaign.
AN IGBO MAN WILL STILL RULE NIGERIA IN THE NEAREST FUTURE I STRONGLY BELIEVE BUT NOT OBI. Obi had foreclosed his chances of Leading the country and had also succeeded in compounding the age long lack of trust in Igbo leadership

1 Like

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by lexy2014: 9:46am On Jun 17, 2023
TemplarLandry:
These leeches have have put Nigeria in a chokehold for too long, sucking us dry.
God, thank you for sending us Tinubu, the man with balls of steel.

How did Cameroon, Niger and Benin put nigeria in a chokehold sucking us dry?
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Felix6: 9:49am On Jun 17, 2023
Since the scam called student loan has failed to gain traction, they have returned to their vomit, same subsidy removal they wanted to burn down the entire country for. Na wa.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Bfly: 9:51am On Jun 17, 2023
So far, the ball has been thrown into the masses' court with no candy attached to it.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by ivandragon: 9:51am On Jun 17, 2023
Peacecore:
Are you sure you have sense?? angry angry Smuggling of already subsidized fuel into neighboring countries causes scarcity, and the lower the supply(scarcity) in an increased demand increases the price. Now that those marketers have nothing to gain smuggling it to neighboring countries, fuel will yapa in the country making it more competitive due to high supply while the demand will remain the same, simple SS1economics! angry

Dumb clowns talking about sense.

Won't fuel in Nigeria still be cheaper than in those other countries?

What has simply happened is that fuel has become more expensive in those countries. After a while, all the brouhaha will settle & normal service will resume.

Why will a marketer sell at 600 in nigeria when he can sell at 1000 in a neighbouring country? Business men ALWAYS seek to maximize profits.

Rather than the government securing its borders, it choses to pass the burden to the citizens.

But since your economics schooling stopped at SS1, I am not surprised.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by lexy2014: 9:52am On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Agreed they are hypocrites, and agree that Buhari too was wrong to oppose fuel subsidy removal in 2012, and Tinubu, being a captain of industry should have known better.

But that was then, and this is now. And subsidy has to go now , because right now we are borrowing to fund the thing in its entirety.

Plus, GEJ should have just told Nigerians to shut up, that they knew nothing, and removed subsidy. Am serious. Good leaders should take the bull by the horns. At the end of the day, we were already losing billions to subsidy back then (there was live daylight robbery then of subsidy money...the likes of which eventually forced Buhari to make NNPC sole importer when he took power). And not only GEJ...all our previous leaders from 1973 should have done the same at one time, and we would have long since gotten rid of the thing.

But no one was bold enough to do that because they did not want to lose power. Yes, even people like Abacha.

And even Tinubu is removing subsidy not because he wants to...and no I am not defending him, since I have known that subsidy is a drain on a nation's resources, and keeping it wrecks the economy well well long tern, but because he has no choice. As I said, we are borrowing to pay for the subsidy, and we still owe NNPCL 2.8 trillion naira outstanding.

So, hypocrisiy, or not, we are not the masters of our destiny right now.

How is subsidy a drain on our resources?

How will keeping subsidy wreck Nigeria's economy?

Is subsidy the reason nigeria isn't making progress?

Since 90s that there has been partial removal of subsidy, what percentage of a litre of fuel was the government paying as subsidy?

With each "removal", what percentage of a lite of fuel was left as subsidy being paid by the government?

In this last attempt by Tinubu, what percentage of a litre of fuel was the government paying as subsidy that has now been removed?
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Lordatkinson: 9:53am On Jun 17, 2023
Sincerely, Buhari needs to be arrested and questioned. Reason for this is very simple, for 8 years, he was the minister of petroleum through out his regime. Who did he pay the subsidy to? He needs to start naming names.

Meanwhile, once Nigeria passes this phase of life, it should become a law that no government should bring back subsidy of fuel in nigeria again.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by sparta191(m): 9:54am On Jun 17, 2023
So with all this gra gra, Nigeria has and is truly the giant of Africa
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by lexy2014: 9:54am On Jun 17, 2023
Peacecore:
Are you sure you have sense?? angry angry Smuggling of already subsidized fuel into neighboring countries causes scarcity, and the lower the supply(scarcity) in an increased demand increases the price. Now that those marketers have nothing to gain smuggling it to neighboring countries, fuel will yapa in the country making it more competitive due to high supply while the demand will remain the same, simple SS1economics! angry

How does smuggling cause scarcity?

How did the smuggled fuel make it across the nigerian border into Cameroon, Niger and Benin?

1 Like

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Mercury12(m): 9:55am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

The FG should do well to also stop Nigeria from supplying Ghana and other countries electricity. Of course I don't expect the my father to do this because he is a fool. The werey is desperately trying to buy his way and win the heart of Nigerians but he has failed already. Obi fraud will disearrange this country when he comes onboard. I'll urge the election tribunal to hurry up and do the needful ASAP.
wow! I never knew he is such a big fool that failed in every aspect in his children's life.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by marlow1962(m): 9:55am On Jun 17, 2023
rajiedreez:

They don't patronize gas stations so there'll be no fights in their gas station
So na invincible petrol they power their mechanical engines for there?
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by mordred44: 9:57am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

The FG should do well to also stop Nigeria from supplying Ghana and other countries electricity. Of course I don't expect the drug lord to do this because he is a fool. The werey is desperately trying to buy his way and win the heart of Nigerians but he has failed already. Obi will rearrange this country when he comes onboard. I'll urge the election tribunal to hurry up and do the needful
hope u aren't on colos
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by dadabryth: 9:59am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

You Obi supporters, your generation are fools and werey of the highest order for insulting our dear president.

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by nairalanda1(m): 9:59am On Jun 17, 2023
Lordatkinson:
Sincerely, Buhari needs to be arrested and questioned. Reason for this is very simple, for 8 years, he was the minister of petroleum through out his regime. Who did he pay the subsidy to? He needs to start naming names.

Subsidy costs are paid in part to the importers, transporters and sellers of fuel in Nigeria...to ensure two things
1.Fuel is sold at a cheaper price than the production and transport cost
2.Fuel is also sold at a uniform price across the country (that's why transporters get part of the money).
3.It does not become too expensive to sell fuel in Nigeria.

Until 2016, import of fuel was done by several people, but Buhari made NNPC sole importer in 2016, because many of the other importers were doing wuru wuru to get money from subsidy payments.

The problem with subsidy is at the end of the day, we cannot do anything about the production cost.

Meanwhile, once Nigeria passes this phase of life, it should become a law that no government should bring back subsidy of fuel in nigeria again.

The problem with subsidy is that the cost of producing a liter of fuel keeps rising, as does the amount needed yearly. At the end, that impacts subsidy costs...which rise...until you end up like Iran who spend twice their earnings from crude oil on subsides.

Then you borrow and borrow more to pay for subsidy AND the budget....

At some point, it becomes unsustainable.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by dadabryth: 10:00am On Jun 17, 2023
You Obi supporters, your complete generation are fools and werey of the highest order for insulting our dear president.

2 Likes

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by ZombiePUNISHER: 10:01am On Jun 17, 2023
Yemmysworld91:

You made it sound like it was a news solely by western media. That alone nullifies every of your assumption which am not ready to dabble into.
Subsidy is gone for good.
Jonathan that I campaigned and voted for was not bold enough to stamp his feet on issues then. Tinubu was even able to pacify labour.
Though I must admit he is not doing well when it comes to palliative to reduce the effect. But subsidy is gone for good. Enough of the wailing. Let's face reality

sound...

subsidy is gone.. apt and direct
no arguments, no protest.
one would wonder why you had a different stance in 2012..
many would call you a wailer in 2012..
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by zinaunreal(m): 10:03am On Jun 17, 2023
TemplarLandry:
These leeches have have put Nigeria in a chokehold for too long, sucking us dry.

Nothing the drug dealer is doing that obi can't stop the bragging.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by eyinjuege: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2023
They don't like Nigerians, and would never publicly admit to benefitting anything from us.
Na to dey yab us everytime
Now wind don blow, fowl yansh don dey exposed.
Nigeria cannot be subsidising for other nations, while she's saddled with debt.
There is no money again. Ba kudi
Let's stop deceiving ourselves
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by denitro(m): 10:15am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

Nigeria supplies Ghana gas which Ghana then uses to produce their own electricity.
Nigeria doesn't supply Ghana electricity and can't supply Ghana electricity
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by viodemus: 10:16am On Jun 17, 2023
nairalanda1:

Good point.

But, and this is the issue...the real problem with subsidy is not the smuggling. Smuggling is part of the problem, a symptom. Not the real issue.

The real issue is that the production cost and transport cost always rises.

As an example, let's pretend that fuel is still being sold at N65 a liter today.

In 2012, the landing cost of fuel at January was N99 per liter. As at May 31 this year,landing cost was N378. As at September 2022, landing cost was N502.

Now subtract N65 from all those sums...and subsidy costs rises from N34 per liter in 2012 to as much as 437 per liter.

Add these facts

1.Amount of fuel consumed is rising year in year out.

2.From 2014 April to 2021 December, price of oil...source of most of our forex...iecrude, has been below 100 dollars, and even as low as 30 dollars for some time. That reduces our ability to earn forex...and pay for our budget...meaning we have to take loans...and have been taking loans.

Now 1 and 2 have an effect on our budget.

But we have to pay for subsides...so we keep on paying a large amount of our budget...until, assuming fuel was N65 at 2022, we would have been paying far more than what we earned in revenue for subsidy....and we would be borrowing for federal spending, and paying part of the subsidy.

Sounds crazy, doen't it.

Now even with partial removals, manifesting as fuel price increases, we are spending 96% of our revenue on subsidy payments, and borrowing for the rest, plus for budget spending.

With all that in mind, we can stop smuggling, close the cracks....and the problem won't end.

You also made some great points, but these are known facts.

Let me follow up on the analogy I brought up earlier about the roaches in the house.

We clean up the house and block holes in the walls --- we build our refineries, get serious on oil and gas management. * Tinubu is not the only corrupt one in the country. Many people are stealing oil and selling them, on land and sea. The majority of the sea bed around ph, akwa ibom, and cross Rivers, are covered with oil. If you notice, Europe, asia, and even Ukraine is not complaining of oil again since the war, because they can stay on the high sea and use mini submarines to run flex pipes to the places their high imaging
satellites have shown them, then they suck it at will, while some might come the normal way and try to do land exploitation officially --- and tolerate the corrupt official contacts they meet.

My point is, leave it as is for now, while you build your electricity which can help you when you build your refineries. It might take him 4 years if he is very serious. but we know that most Nigerians are not serious, definitely Tinubu.

Blocking it, is like locking yourself in a place and flushing the keys; now for you to come out, you have to break many things, and then repair and do a new key lock with new keys. The agriculture is suffering, the logistics of things are suffering, electricity is suffering, infrastructure of all kinds is suffering, education, manufacturing, etc are suffering. People morale is at an all time low. Transportation is expensive (personal or public). Some things are done better with good timing, for better transition.

The truth is that, he had and has to appeal to the people, and bring out their best spirits, which can make people feel renewed, and feel like they can help, which can help him make that 4 year goal a reality or even less, because many experts - potential and experienced, will feel like they have to contribute. And maybe shun corruption to make things work. But when everyone sees that the head is ingrainedly corrupt, they will be going in for their own personal success. Then it becomes a vicious cycle.

Leadership is not a child's play. This guy is not a qualified leader especially in times like these. He is looking outside for them to come help him, but those people are looking out for themselves.

In summary, he could have left it for now, and even try to make it more excessive, while he diversify and do electricity and refineries, not just Dangote. Am talking country own refineries in all regions, and also encourage well planned private ones. We waste lots of oil anyway. I wish your calculations were respected by all, but no, they have other plans.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by StJasper(m): 10:16am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

You must be irreversibly stupid for calling our president "werey".

1 Like

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by NOHOLDSBAR: 10:22am On Jun 17, 2023
GO0DHardDick:
Damn!

Tinubu will need to increase money for mental health services in Nigeria. Too many lunatics roaming the streets especially those brainwashed retar@ded IPOB Biafuro terrorist monkeys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by bonnyhope: 10:22am On Jun 17, 2023
TemplarLandry:

Gullible Nigerians caused this

This subsidy would have gone since 2012
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Gbemini(m): 10:24am On Jun 17, 2023
Imagine this ooo... On our own fuel, its by force... Okare tinubu oba cameroon, togo, liberia, ghana ati ipob .. obicraze and many more
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:28am On Jun 17, 2023
marlow1962:
Are they throwing punches at the gas station, just like ronu people are doing here?
That is just what I want to know.

The person that gave you a upper cut at the filling station was only being nice.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by NigerianAngelo(m): 10:50am On Jun 17, 2023
Buhari was a bastard.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by marlow1962(m): 10:59am On Jun 17, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

The person that gave you a upper cut at the filling station was only being nice.
I drive to the gas station, buy my petrol and move. I'm not a lunatic like ronu people to start engaging in useless verbal confrontation.
I'm too educated and exposed for such shit.
Re: Cameroon, Niger, Benin Citizens Lament Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria by transient123(m): 11:06am On Jun 17, 2023
EmperorHadrian2:

And since we are now floating the naira openly, these African countries can pay in naira so as to boost the naira value.

Buy in naira bawo. What kind of economics is that?

They need to buy in dollars and let dollar flood everywhere for naira to gain weight and value. When dollar is scarce or in the hands of a few, naira losses it value, people will wanna buy dollar at all cost, so, aboki and those banks' leeches will trade dollar at higher naira rates, naira suffers, dollar gains....dollar isn't our currency fa. When dollars full everywhere, it will be less attractive, hence, its rate to a naira will come down.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

$25,000 Bribe: Shehu Sani Knelt, Begged Me To Change My Statement - EFCC Witness / Female IPOB Victim Who Was In Kanu's House During Army Invasion Speaks (Video) / Amaechi’s Supporters Dump APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.