Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

!webdev - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / !webdev (1203 Views)

Webdev Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

!webdev by truthCoder: 11:52am On Jun 17, 2023
A lot of Nigerian devs and dev wannabes have been focusing on learning how to build websites , web and mobile based applications.

My few years of working mostly remotely has shown that whilst those skills are in high demand, there are other options that we should start considering.

There are jobs in other areas that dont need your JavaScript knowledge, are easy to master and pay better.

First, i would be recommending devops. Most Nigerians don’t know how to use stacks like ansible, terraform, gitlab, bash, etc and there is a lot of remote work here.

I would appreciate if seasoned developers who are not earning majorly from web development can share ideas so that upcoming tech guys wont waste time learning react.js.

3 Likes

Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 4:31pm On Jun 17, 2023
@truthcoder learning those tools requires more effort and a lot of patience and perseverance. Setting up a small lab to then orchestrate many servers cost o. A small Lenovo Thinkcentre tiny with a fairly recent i5 processor and say 16Gb of RAM and say 1TB of SSD will set many people back at least ₦150k+ with no immediate rewards. Learning Proxmox for virtualization/containerisation and then going on to learn ansible and terraform will take at least 18 months to gain entry level competence.

I had suggested that this forum's admins spin off a new sub forum dedicated to non-programming tech without much traction on that post. I'm happy were you are trying to take the tech interest to

For a brief moment truthcoder, I thought you were trying to post to a lemmy community with your post title. I don siddon for fediverse tire this last two weeks

2 Likes

Re: !webdev by Maxxim: 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2023
🥺😩😩
I don get path wey I dey follow mk I face front.
#say no to shinning object syndrome 💯

2 Likes

Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2023
Maxxim:
🥺😩😩
I don get path wey I dey follow mk I face front.
#say no to shinning object syndrome 💯

What path are you currently following?

I don't think the post is about getting all those currently learning programming to drop it and start chasing the tools he mentioned. I think it's about encouraging those who like to get into tech but are scared of programming wàhálà to consider other non programming fields

1 Like

Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 4:42pm On Jun 17, 2023
I learned ansible using this play list https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT98CRl2KxKEUHie1m24-wkyHpEsa4Y70

It's a continuous learning process. I personally think a lot of people can get into tech support and system administration because they already have the basic requirements. Many of them can Google and find a solution to whatever problem their PC faces

1 Like

Re: !webdev by Maxxim: 5:26pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

What path are you currently following?

I don't think the post is about getting all those currently learning programming to drop it and start chasing the tools he mentioned. I think it's about encouraging those who like to get into tech but are scared of programming wàhálà to consider other non programming fields
Lms, I'm actually taking a course with moodle academy and also chrome extension development since I have front end knowledge
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2023
Maxxim:

Lms, I'm actually taking a course with moodle academy and also chrome extension development since I have front end knowledge

Waoh! That's interesting!!! What drove your choice for Moodle over say over say openEDX, oLAT, or Canvas?
Re: !webdev by truthCoder: 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:
@truthcoder learning those tools requires more effort and a lot of patience and perseverance. Setting up a small lab to then orchestrate many servers cost o. A small Lenovo Thinkcentre tiny with a fairly recent i5 processor and say 16Gb of RAM and say 1TB of SSD will set many people back at least ₦150k+ with no immediate rewards. Learning Proxmox for virtualization/containerisation and then going on to learn ansible and terraform will take at least 18 months to gain entry level competence.

I had suggested that this forum's admins spin off a new sub forum dedicated to non-programming tech without much traction on that post. I'm happy were you are trying to take the tech interest to

For a brief moment truthcoder, I thought you were trying to post to a lemmy community with your post title. I don siddon for fediverse tire this last two weeks

Great insights.

How about if these training schools that teach html invest just a little in hardware?

There are some companies that will offer entry roles to people with just basic understanding of playbook and CI/CD pipelines.
Re: !webdev by truthCoder: 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:
I learned ansible using this play list https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT98CRl2KxKEUHie1m24-wkyHpEsa4Y70

It's a continuous learning process. I personally think a lot of people can get into tech support and system administration because they already have the basic requirements. Many of them can Google and find a solution to whatever problem their PC faces

Great resource.
Re: !webdev by KrazyDave16(m): 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2023
I'm on the DevOps path (haven't covered some key stuff like containerization and orchestration proper), it's really stressful, time-consuming and expensive (not necessarily immediately, but as you go further, you will unconsciously have the need to upgrade your hardware)

Tips I can give out to anyone who's interested in learning or already learning is;
1. Embrace the cli (terminal) wholly. If there are some tools with a gui, don't rely too much on it, or don't even rely on it at all.

2. Learn to automate your workflow. Be it via scripts, manifests/cookbooks, cronjobs. No need to cram everything, just automate them, plus time is real important too.

3. Join DevOps, selfhosted and homelab communities. Always found these communities fun and super helpful.

4. Be security conscious. There are lots of attempts to get into your server by bad actors and kids with their bots to do something stupid or something shady.

5. Be consistent. There are a lot of tool to learn, but know that you don't need to cram them all (see point 2).

6. Get a decent PC. A laptop is okay, but if you aren't gonna upgrade it or have plans to convert it into a server of sorts, get a PC.
As for which PC, I have zero idea.

Also is it me or does the font look weird?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2023
truthCoder:

Great insights.

How about if these training schools that teach html invest just a little in hardware?

There are some companies that will offer entry roles to people with just basic understanding of playbook and CI/CD pipelines.

I don't know why these schools don't massively encourage non-programming training. I guess it's the shiny object syndrome the other poster mentioned. Programming is fancy and celebrated. Forgetting that these software the programmers write rely on DevOps and System administration infrastructure to keep running. Plus for a school, it would be damned cheap to setup a local lab where students can mess around.
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2023
KrazyDave16:
I'm on the DevOps path (haven't covered some key stuff like containerization and orchestration proper), it's really stressful, time-consuming and expensive (not necessarily immediately, but as you go further, you will unconsciously have the need to upgrade your hardware)

Tips I can give out to anyone who's interested in learning or already learning is;
1. Embrace the cli (terminal) wholly. If there are some tools with a gui, don't rely too much on it, or don't even rely on it at all.

2. Learn to automate your workflow. Be it via scripts, manifests/cookbooks, cronjobs. No need to cram everything, just automate them, plus time is real important too.

3. Join DevOps, selfhosted and homelab communities. Always found these communities fun and super helpful.

4. Be security conscious. There are lots of attempts to get into your server by bad actors and kids with their bots to do something stupid or something shady.

5. Be consistent. There are a lot of tool to learn, but know that you don't need to cram them all (see point 2).

6. Get a decent PC. A laptop is okay, but if you aren't gonna upgrade it or have plans to convert it into a server of sorts, get a PC.

Might be you. Font looks good from here. What browser?

Regarding your points, they are well articulated. Many people run away from terminal because it's easier to click around. CLI gives almost god-like powers. Make you come be root user, you go dey do and undo.

Point 4, you'd be surprised at how random bots will come at you for just hosting a server on your LAN. It however offers an opportunity to learn about security and system hardening. God punish all those Russian, Chinese, American and Palestinian bots. Fzcking keep your router fully busy. I've hard to learn router management purely because of these bots. But you get to learn Transferable skills if you can then get to talk about how you are able to manage security as part of keeping your infrastructure always up.

2 Likes

Re: !webdev by truthCoder: 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Great tips.
Re: !webdev by emoboy4u: 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2023
So where is the starting point for any of these disciplines. My little research shows that there so many concepts, tools and technologies to learn though the one that stands out is getting comfortable with Linux OS. And some people even assert that DevOps is not an entry level role, they believe that you must have some form of development experience with a touch computer networking to really be useful in the role. Navigating tech can be a hassle!
Re: !webdev by LikeAking: 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2023
Let the experienced guys move into these areas and stavks, not newbies...

Newbies have to start from web dev...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: !webdev by LutherKing001: 7:09pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Hmm! Boss I hope I'm still in the right direction sha.. I'm learning full stack web dev(MERN) and when I start earning from it, I will then consider adding Java to my stack. Some of us starting out with web dev not because it's easy to learn but because it's easier to find resources needed for learning.

1 Like

Re: !webdev by KrazyDave16(m): 7:20pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Might be you. Font looks good from here. What browser?

Regarding your points, they are well articulated. Many people run away from terminal because it's easier to click around. CLI gives almost god-like powers. Make you come be root user, you go dey do and undo.

Point 4, you'd be surprised at how random bots will come at you for just hosting a server on your LAN. It however offers an opportunity to learn about security and system hardening. God punish all those Russian, Chinese, American and Palestinian bots. Fzcking keep your router fully busy. I've hard to learn router management purely because of these bots. But you get to learn Transferable skills if you can then get to talk about how you are able to manage security as part of keeping your infrastructure always up.
I know of the bots, read stories of em.

Always wondered how they even know you got a server running
Re: !webdev by KrazyDave16(m): 7:35pm On Jun 17, 2023
emoboy4u:
So where is the starting point for any of these disciplines. My little research shows that there so many concepts, tools and technologies to learn though the one that stands out is getting comfortable with Linux OS. And some people even assert that DevOps is not an entry level role, they believe that you must have some form of development experience with a touch computer networking to really be useful in the role. Navigating tech can be a hassle!
Not really true. You can still get in, but you'd start from Help Desk roles, then work your way up the ladder.

As for development experience, while that's a nice-to-have since it'll mean you got hands-on experience when you orchestrate your projects, manage its pipelines and whatnot, you can still get in regardless of no development experience. Though it'll be challenging.
After all, some guys in their 40s are getting these jobs and handling their company's infra.
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2023
KrazyDave16:

I know of the bots, read stories of em.

Always wondered how they even know you got a server running

Port scanning. I've got a static IP address and they run bots scanning for ports. The moment they pick one port, you get on their database and they never stop hitting you
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2023
emoboy4u:

So yes the primary entry point is getting comfortable with Linux. Natural progression is to get into Linux System Administration and possibly Network Administration. There is however a route through Amazon's entry level AWS Cloud practitioner certification which offers a foundational understanding of AWS Cloud concepts, services, and terminology. It's a good starting point for people in non-technical roles with no prior IT or cloud experience
Re: !webdev by Maxxim: 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Waoh! That's interesting!!! What drove your choice for Moodle over say over say openEDX, oLAT, or Canvas?
I'll say recommendations, I tried making some research and I learned it's the most sought after amongst the lms platforms, I believe the more popular the more opportunities.
What are your thoughts sir??
Re: !webdev by niel63(m): 10:10pm On Jun 17, 2023
emoboy4u:

Devops is definitely NOT and entty level role. Just know this and know peace.
All these CI/CD verbs... who you think say dey use them... Still, it isn't enough to make you a competent devops engineer. It's a combination of both practices and tools for applications and services.

And you know how tedious it can be to master one.
So, devops can never ever be an entry role.

1 Like

Re: !webdev by lastkingsman: 10:26pm On Jun 17, 2023
truthCoder:
A lot of Nigerian devs and dev wannabes have been focusing on learning how to build websites , web and mobile based applications.

My few years of working mostly remotely has shown that whilst those skills are in high demand, there are other options that we should start considering.

There are jobs in other areas that dont need your JavaScript knowledge, are easy to master and pay better.

First, i would be recommending devops. Most Nigerians don’t know how to use stacks like ansible, terraform, gitlab, bash, etc and there is a lot of remote work here.

I would appreciate if seasoned developers who are not earning majorly from web development can share ideas so that upcoming tech guys wont waste time learning react.js.
Re: !webdev by NapoleonHill: 6:14pm On Jun 18, 2023
niel63:

All these CI/CD verbs... who you think say dey use them... Still, it isn't enough to make you a competent devops engineer. It's a combination of both practices and tools for applications and services.

Dey play grin
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 6:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
Maxxim:

I'll say recommendations, I tried making some research and I learned it's the most sought after amongst the lms platforms, I believe the more popular the more opportunities.
What are your thoughts sir??

It's the most widely used LMS especially in higher education. I think there are other more interesting LMS but yeah Moodle and WordPress are ensuring that PHP is going no where

1 Like

Re: !webdev by niel63(m): 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2023
NapoleonHill:

Dey play grin

Okay sir. Devops is an entry level stack.

1 Like

Re: !webdev by malawi101(m): 9:29am On Jun 19, 2023
How about bubble.io. No code is the way to go now.
Re: !webdev by efelico: 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2023
niel63:

100% on point.

Working as a DevOps is not an entry role. It easier to break even in frontend, hard in backend and harder as DevOps. One major mistake as a DevOps kiss your server good bye
Re: !webdev by airsaylongcome: 2:54pm On Jun 20, 2023
efelico:

100% on point.

Working as a DevOps is not an entry role. It easier to break even in frontend, hard in backend and harder as DevOps. One major mistake as a DevOps kiss your server good bye

Just putting it out there that entry level DevOps guys blood themselves on lab and testing servers. More experienced guys are put on staging and production infrastructure
Re: !webdev by KrazyDave16(m): 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2023
efelico:

100% on point.

The field is difficult and frustrating alright, but saying that there are no entry level jobs is wrong.
There are, even ones where one doesn't have to work with a server (help desk)

2 Likes

Re: !webdev by KrazyDave16(m): 7:44pm On Jun 20, 2023
niel63:

I agree that the verbs and flags are difficult to grasp, and the field as a whole is not as rosy as the frontend or backend, its not that difficult, unless one were trying to master all commands and flags.

The man page or help page (more concise) is there for each of them individual packages without one trying to cram all the flags
Re: !webdev by iMalyk: 1:31pm On Jun 23, 2023
I'd like to talk to you more about this, i'm also on the devops path. how do I join these communities?
KrazyDave16:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead / Game Programming / I Need Compilers For Java,c++, PASCAL And Python Available In Android Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.