Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,846 members, 7,813,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria (3783 Views)

E,X.P.O.S.E.D. Brain Behind Lies Against Nigerians Revealed! / Fresh Facts Suggest Late Sawyer On Revenge Mission Against Nigerians / CAN Gives Kwara 7-day Ultimatum To Redress Discrimination Against Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by mellow(m): 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2007
I work in an Oil servicing company and most of the things you enumerated

above are untrue. Take for instance, An employee working outside his home

get paid so many stipends that are in the international welfare package. You

are employed either as an international staff or you have a home country status

or home country mobile status and each of this status carries a different salary package.

When I was in Angloa I was earning more than the citizens cos I was outside my country.
[/color]

texazzpete:

99% of the discussions in Nairaland end up in arguments and no-one learns anything. Everyone here is to be congratulated on their maturity! grin

Nigerians suffer for lack of Information. How many Nigerians went to court to challenge the wages pai to Okonjo Iweala and co? Was it not only Gani and a handful of others? What happend to the case? How much furore was raised here on Nairaland, a place supposed to be a gathering point of Nigerian Intellectuals?

The biggest JV (joint Venture) operating in Nigeria is that between NNPC, Shell, Elf and Agip. Shell is the operator, with the NNPC as the majority stakeholder.
When the oil is extracted, 80% is immediately taken off as tax. It's the remaining 20% that is then shared in that ratio of 60% to the NNPC, 40% to the oil companies.
Misinformation like that you just provided is the main cause of the Niger Delta crisis, because people point fingers at the wrong people.
Currently, at an assumed oil price of $60 a barrel, the Nigerian Government gets about 57% while the second largest stakehlder (Shell) takes only $2 as profit. Please ask industry leaders if you doubt this.

@funloving
[b]The analogy you gave represents a minority, contrary to your thinking, but it happens nonetheless. and it's for a far less sinister reason than you think.
A gu brought from the US already earns far far more than his Nigerian counterpart when the money is converted to Naira. The average fresh medical doctor in the Uk should take home at least 2000 pounds monthly. which fresh Nigerian doctor earns the equivalent N500,000? in fact, which fresh naija doctor earns up to N130,000 monthly?
When this british doctor is made to come to Naija, added benefits and incentives may shoot his salary up to 4000 pounds. Will the naija doctor be right to demand for N1m monthly salary?
Sadly, that's the scenario you paint in your analogy.
that's why it's termed jealousy. The Driller was fully satisfied with his wages before the expat came. Did the advent of the white man reduce his standard of living? Don't forget that it's easier for a naija man earning N300k a month to 'live large' than a Briton earning 2000 pounds (N500k equivalent) to live large in the UK.[/b]

the expatriate allowances are paid as an add on to what you were already earning, so a Naija guy getting sent to the US will not expect to earn significantly more than his American counterparts who were already earning way more than him in Naira terms.

Again
JustGood:

I worked for a multinational company a few years ago and there was a security man who worked there. He had worked as a manager in a construction company in Nigeria. He made a mistake when he left thinking he had made a huge killing with all his earnings in Nigeria and came back home. Needless to say, he ended up a security man: he has no real qualifications - however, he was manager over several well qualified and experienced Nigerians.

There is a second one I know who was a territorial manager for an oil servicing company(name withheld). He also made lots of money in Nigeria and resigned to travel the world. He has no qualifications to help him when he ran out of money and he is now a taxi driver. He said he was going to seek another employment in Nigeria.

It is nothing short of racism. Nigerians don't earn higher wages than white people when they go abroad to work as Highly skilled Migrants

[color=#000099]This is very wrong. My formal Boss who was transfered to The USA as an FSM  in Cementing is earning more than his counterpart in

Coil Tubing who is an American.

The only place there is an actual discrimination is in the area of contract staff and this is done by some creedy Nigerians and not the Multinational

companies.
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Afam(m): 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2007
Misinformation is a bad thing will continue to lead to unnecessary misunderstandings and conflicts.

Anyone working in foreign lands in well established companies usually get higher allowances than locals simply because it makes sense to do so.

Just as you have foreigners earning more than their Nigerian counterparts here in Nigeria you also have Nigerian professionals that earn more than locals in foreign lands.

A typical example is Schlumberger where the risk index of a country determines what you earn in that country for IS.

For example, a Nigerian working in Nigeria may earn N10.00 while a foreigner working in Nigeria (and yes, doing the same job) will earn say N30.00 or more.

In any JV arrangement or service companies for that matter the operator is allowed to run business and until that changes very little will come out of issues like these.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 2:15pm On Sep 12, 2007
Wow, this is great!
I admire the maturity level of you guys, this is what nairaland suppose to be all about; sharing and learning.

Bravo to texazzpete, mellow, Funloving, JustGood and others.

I'm learning and I'm loving it.

One love!

(I hope MAMAJAMA will not get to discover this topic).
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2007
I remember rejecting an offer from wldbk few years ago. I was going to be relocated to Brazil for couple of years; apart from my living accommodation and bonus, they offered to pay me the same salary.

Now, how do you explain that?

My point: it is up to the companies and the individual (expatriate), some companies will pay expatriate more and some will not.
I say, don't appraise your capability by only looking at what an expatriate is making; focus on yourself and your skill, get all you can get during salary negotiation before coming on-board.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Mariory(m): 2:51pm On Sep 12, 2007
Big B1:

Wow, this is great!
I admire the maturity level of you guys, this is what nairaland suppose to be all about; sharing and learning.

Bravo to texazzpete, mellow, Funloving, JustGood and others.

I'm learning and I'm loving it.

One love!

(I hope MAMAJAMA will not get to discover this topic).

So why put the final statement in your post if you're really looking for a mature discussion?
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by JustGood(m): 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2007
I beg to disagree here with some people. I have many Nigerians here as Highly Skilled Migrants and they dont earn more than anyone in their categories. Please tell me where you see migrants who come from Nigeria to earn more than their British counterparts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by JustGood(m): 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2007
texazzpete:

i struggle because, unlike you, i employ logic in my thought processes.
Please, this topic has so far been free from conflict. don't bring over any beef here, it's unwanted.

you struggle only because you are devoid of logic.
if you're not a bumbling buf****, you wont insult soomeone and turn round to say you want to avoid conflict
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 3:50pm On Sep 12, 2007
JustGood:

you struggle only because you are devoid of logic.
if you're not a bumbling buf****, you wont insult soomeone and turn round to say you want to avoid conflict
Yeah, that was foolish of me and i apologize for that.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by champredd(m): 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2007
It is not true that Nigerians working abroad earns more than the locals. They may be given allowances when they first arrive there, to settle their families, accomadation, transport. Once settled they receive the same as locals, even less at times.

So don't be under illusions that Nigerians or Africans in general are treated better abroad. In fact the reverse has always been the case, because most of the time the Africans have been looking for job for a long time and will accept whatever they are offered just to get their daily bread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Mariory(m): 2:33pm On Sep 13, 2007
champredd:

It is not true that Nigerians working abroad earns more than the locals. They may be given allowances when they first arrive there, to settle their families, accomadation, transport. Once settled they receive the same as locals, even less at times.

So don't be under illusions that Nigerians or Africans in general are treated better abroad. In fact the reverse has always been the case, because most of the time the Africans have been looking for job for a long time and will accept whatever they are offered just to get their daily bread.

I disagree. Professional Nigerians when asked to relocate, are paid more than locals doing the same job. In fact, in most cases, there are no locals capable of doing the same job.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Mariory(m): 2:35pm On Sep 13, 2007
JustGood:

I beg to disagree here with some people. I have many Nigerians here as Highly Skilled Migrants and they don't earn more than anyone in their categories. Please tell me where you see migrants who come from Nigeria to earn more than their British counterparts.

Are we talking about migrants here or people that have relocated for a specific job?
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Afam(m): 7:24pm On Sep 14, 2007
champredd:

I wasn't referring to menial jobs sorry. I meant professionals even though what they pay differ from company to company and from country to country.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by champredd(m): 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2007
Afam:

I wasn't referring to menial jobs sorry. I meant professionals even though what they pay differ from company to company and from country to country.
It's still an illusion if you believe that they earn more. Most of them are deceived into believing they are earning more, especially in countries where the exchange rate of their currencies are stronger than the Naira. Those Nigerians usually calculated the remuneration in terms of Niara before leaving Naija, not considering the cost of living among others in the country they are going to.

When they get there it usually takes some time for them to settle and check out what the locals are earning that is when they usually discover that they are being ripped off.

The usual exceptions are those appointed as Chief Executives and Executive Directors (they usually earn the same thing as the locals, not more).
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by Afam(m): 10:01pm On Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the insight but you are wrong.

I personally know of former colleagues that earn what we are disputing here, so take care.
Re: Discrimination Against Nigerians In Nigeria by kayasmith: 10:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
A very interesting and insightful piece. It was in the course of putting together a research coincedentally on the same subject that i found your piece.

I will appreciate it if you can be of help in some areas I am having difficulties in my research work. Kindly contact me: kayode@ypwc.org

many thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Regret Fighting The Civil War-akinriande / BREAKING: Many Killed As Nigerian Army ambushes Boko Haram - Newsrescue / Tinubu Changes Name To Accommodate Buhari's Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.