Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? (1692 Views)

How Many Nigerian Women Can Do This (graphic Image) / Women: Can you believe these are men? / Pictures Of Nigerian Women From Times Past (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 4:58pm On Jun 19, 2023
Yes. At some point we have to be honest with ourselves.

There are so many beautiful Nigerian women that even the most racist misogynist would find it hard to deny.

We are so beautiful that racists have to constantly put us down to have a chance in life.

However, the power of our beauty seems to be lost on us.

We have to understand that beauty is as powerful as power and wealth. Beauty is power. The beauty of a woman is at par with the wealth of a man. A woman's beauty alone can fetch her a wealthy man.

But!!! We've missed it somewhere. And I know what's gone wrong. We have become so overwhelmed with "what has been" that we don't know what to in fact allow and disallow. We think everything goes when it comes to looks. Nope.

Everything does not go when it comes to looks. When it comes to looks, every enhancement must not deviate from the default natural state by more than 5%. Any thing artificial that surpasses 5% minimizes our physical appeal. When you put too much on what you already have, you are diminishing your looks ignorantly.

When it comes to our dressing, wardrobe, accessories, etc, anything may go but when it comes to our face and body, nature has given us a law that we must not deviate from else we risk losing some of our appeal.

As African women, we don't have heavy wavy hair like other ethnic groups, especially the ones that rest on both sides of our face. Nature has given us a different type of hair that is proportional to the structure of our face. Any deviation from this natural order, will lessen our beauty. We may find it difficult to see this "misfit" because we have become so accustomed to these deviant hair styles. It's akin to someone with a body odour not being able to perceive himself until another points it out to him. When it comes to hair, this is our present situation. We can't see the abnormality on us but others may see it.

Relaxing our hair and styling it however we want is not the problem. The problem is the additional hair we add to our hair that is disproportionate to our facial bones.

You may say you have a different kind of skull but as an African woman I put it to you that your natural hair is like every other African woman's with the exception of some few tribes that can be found only in certain regions.

Nature still gave you an afro textured hair because whichever way you style it, it won't diminish your beauty and youth like weaves and wigs always do.

Imagine how creative we would become with our hair in 10years time if we stubbornly refuse this ancient conditioning that has stuck to us for long and has degraded us into this women "who are trying hard" instead of "the brown birds" that we already are.

We think our hair can't do much for our overall looks but that's only because we've never embraced our hair to even begin to see all the unimaginable possibilities it can create for our overall outlook.

We are the only group of women with this type of hair that can be twisted into any style. At this present time all I can say is how blessed and ignorant are we among women!

In continuation, let me just say congratulations to the Nigerian ladies who have made keeping fit a part of their regular routine.
I see more and more Nigerian women embracing work outs and gym sessions.

It really takes a strong of resolve to keep your weight in check in this part of the world. I understand slim straight women and the kind of stigma they are subject to can push them into unhealthy eating lifestyles. Yet, I still believe they can still keep their weight and maybe do squats to create some curves or go for cosmetic procedures if they can.

Generally, Nigerian women have balanced slim bodies, not much extremities. But why do we not vigorously fight to stay in shape? Why do we not fight to have this power that can make our lives easier in this already tough world? Or are we not aware that beautiful people have easier lives? Or we prefer to bury our heads in the sand away from reality? Or we are just confused on how this world works? Or we think staying fit is only for the upper class? Are excuses ruling our lives?

But the law of nature can't be cheated. The more weight we amass the more unshapely we look, the more unshapely we look the more unappealing we look.

People fight their lives out to achieve wealth and status. Why? because with wealth and status comes influence and power. Power and influence drives you to the top of society.

Beauty is power. How can we not see it?

You prefer to walk around with weaves and wigs and round bodies when you know in your heart you can do better.

Being slim with a feminine curve is a strong natural appeal that no one can deny. And increase in body mass more than an acceptable weight would disfigure this.

You know what to do to look and stay beautiful, why are you not doing it in spite of the enormous advantages it brings? Or you want to eat your cake and have it? Have you ever seen a lazy wealthy man? Good! You will never see an ugly woman on a pedestal too.

Get real!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by insidelife22(m): 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2023
Brazilian hair nko?
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by TemplarLandry: 5:03pm On Jun 19, 2023
That'd be super cool.
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:13pm On Jun 19, 2023
sadly, A) the standard of beauty for these women have greatly changed, therefore "to them" only someone with white looking straight hair is beautiful.... and B) too many of these women are insecure about their gorimapa, and therefore have to disguise themselves with mop on their head etc.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 5:15pm On Jun 19, 2023
Wearing natural hair: no.

Staying fit: yes, and this should be a general advice to anyone, really.

If you REALLY 'h8' something about someone, so long as whatever that is, is not widespread in the population and detrimental, simply find the person you like, in their demography, where their kind exists in.

All of these think pieces on what people should wear, eat, look/speak like, etc., will not amount to anything. A look around the real world should convince anyone that these 'admonishment' don't hold water. But sure sha, we can argue about them from now until forever and for the fun of it.

I am not saying these things cannot be talked about or assessed. Maybe in a general or self-reflection, but in this manner?

You come off quite strongly and as if you were some authority and using words like beauty, ugly in an objective way. You're even mentioning numbers and skull shapes.

I believe most people who will agree with you will simply just be projecting, not that they truly believe and practice what you're saying lol.

So.

Goodluck in your campaign, though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 5:18pm On Jun 19, 2023
Y? Have you ever seen a lazy wealthy man? Good! You will never see an ugly woman on a pedestal too.

This is a weird comparison sha. And it seems like such a false equivalence, but I can't pinpoint it exactly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by lilvicky68(m): 5:20pm On Jun 19, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Hope you know that staying fit is not staying slim? grin
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by lilvicky68(m): 5:28pm On Jun 19, 2023
A lazy man can be wealthy.. wealth must not come from hardwork.

An inheritance can make a lazy man wealthy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 19, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
sadly, A) the standard of beauty for these women have greatly changed, therefore "to them" only someone with white looking straight hair is beautiful.... and B) too many of these women are insecure about their gorimapa, and therefore have to disguise themselves with mop on their head etc .
Chai God πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2023
lilvicky68:
A lazy man can be wealthy.. wealth must not come from hardwork.

An inheritance can make a lazy man wealthy
I purposely used the word-wealthy not rich. I'm very sure they have different meanings.

Look it up

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2023
Magnoliaa:

I'm talking about beauty girl not general lifestyle
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 5:37pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
I'm talking about beauty girl not general lifestyle

Perhaps you don't really understand your own point(s)?

You're addressing two things here- natural hair and staying fit.

And I said staying fit is an advice anybody should find useful.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:38pm On Jun 19, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
sadly, A) the standard of beauty for these women have greatly changed, therefore "to them" only someone with white looking straight hair is beautiful.... and B) too many of these women are insecure about their gorimapa, and therefore have to disguise themselves with mop on their head etc.

Yes, fortunately, our hair can be straightened too. And little hair pieces added if need be. But turning everything artificial is just off the mark.

Even bald haired can be pretty when styled properly. Or better still grown out to increase femininity.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by lilvicky68(m): 5:40pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
I purposely used the word-wealthy not rich. I'm very sure they have different meanings.

Look it up
They are synonyms..

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:40pm On Jun 19, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Perhaps you don't really understand your own point(s)?

You're addressing two things here- natural hair and staying fit.

And I said staying fit is an advice anybody should find useful.
Or perhaps you don't understand my thread. I'm talking about staying fit to achieve a beautiful look not staying fit in itself.
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:42pm On Jun 19, 2023
lilvicky68:

They are synonyms..
Yes they are similar but not the same. Just as finished and complete are synonyms but not exactly the same
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
Or perhaps you don't understand my thread. I'm talking about staying fit to achieve a beautiful look not staying fit in itself.
How exactly does one stay fit to achieve a beautiful look without actually staying fit? undecided

You have hair to show off but not all women out there have manageable hair like yours. So wouldn't this energy of yours be better expended developing haircare products/regimens to encourage women who are able to, go the route which you are agitating for? Last I checked, the reason many African women chose to wear wigs and the lot has to do with a lack of clear understanding of how to better manage their natural hair or get it to look like they would want it to(something like that). undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by lilvicky68(m): 5:47pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
Yes they are similar but not the same. Just as finished and complete are synonyms but not exactly the same
It's like you copied this thing from somewhere, tell the person say this write up get k-leg
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 5:48pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:

Okay.

And that doesn't necessarily negate my point.

I don't know how you want to stay fit for beauty reasons that will not first impact your health.

How do you define a beautiful look?

Before you answer, go through this guy's profile: www.nairaland.com/Infolenka, and see the different body shapes people consider beautiful. My bets are that your idea of that look doesn't match with others' ideas. It is a subjective opinion.

So there's no one way to have a "beautiful look", but any kind of looks sure can be healthy. This can be objectively measured, and it's why I think being fit primarily for health reasons should be how this is approached. "Beauty" can come second.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:49pm On Jun 19, 2023
Kobojunkie:
How exactly does one stay fit to achieve a beautiful look without actually staying fit? undecided
The goal is to attain beauty to its fullest. And yes you will also become healthy as an add on but the focus of my thread is on looking appealing which a fat grotesque structure cannot give.
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
β–  The goal is to attain beauty to its fullest. And yes you will also become healthy as an add on but the focus of my thread is on looking appealing which a fat grotesque structure cannot give.
Arrrgh!! You are simply concerned about them not being grotesquely fat and unappealing to your eyes, and not necessarily concerned as to whether they are healthy at that point or not? undecided

Also, You may have hair to show off but not all women out there have manageable hair like yours. So wouldn't this energy of yours be better expended developing haircare products/regimens to encourage women who are able to, go the route which you are agitating for? Last I checked, the reason many African women chose to wear wigs and the lot has to do with a lack of clear understanding of how to better manage their natural hair or get it to look like they would want it to(something like that). undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Okay.

And that doesn't necessarily negate my point.

I don't know how you want to stay fit for beauty reasons that will not first impact your health.

How do you define a beautiful look?

Before you answer, go through this guy's profile: www.nairaland.com/Infolenka, and see the different body shapes people consider beautiful. My bets are that your idea of that look doesn't match with others' ideas. It is a subjective opinion.

So there's no one way to have a "beautiful look", but any kind of looks sure can be healthy. This can be objectively measured, and it's why I think being fit primarily for health reasons should be how this is approached. "Beauty" can come second.
. Lol the problem that some of you women might have with yourself is your desire to always argue and counter everything you perceive is against women.

Go through all my threads. I'm pro women, pro Nigerian womenπŸ’―

Im not about to derail my thread by arguing on what is considered beautiful to this person and that person. I don't argue on exceptional grounds, I state fact and what is generally acceptable.

My thread is for women who are willing to examine how wrong they are approaching the world and open to learning.

Not women who want to show me what one nobody likes in women. Not interested ma'am

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:00pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
The goal is to attain beauty to its fullest. And yes you will also become healthy as an add on but the focus of my thread is on looking appealing which a fat grotesque structure cannot give.

Awesome.

Judging and insulting people more will get you faster to your goal of preaching this. πŸ‘

Let's not talk about how you're even saying all these Beauty Code of Conduct as something every woman should adhere to.

I have agreed that staying fit for health reasons is admirable, but baby girl, not every woman desires a Nengi's face or a Nancy Isime's body shape. grin grin

There are different kinds of women in positions of power, however few they are. Beauty only get you some kind of power, under conditions that are subject to its dictates.

You cannot tell me the WTO was looking at face when they picked Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as their Director-General. Go to the national agencies of the country and see the women in high-ranking positions, and come back to tell me how they look like.

There are plain-looking executives and career women everywhere. These people wield power (economic, political), and they are also finding spouses too, I should add.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 6:00pm On Jun 19, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Arrrgh!! You are simply concerned about them not being grotesquely fat and unappealing to your eyes, and not necessarily concerned as to whether they are healthy at that point or not? undecided

Also, You may have hair to show off but not all women out there have manageable hair like yours. So wouldn't this energy of yours be better expended developing haircare products/regimens to encourage women who are able to, go the route which you are agitating for? Last I checked, the reason many African women chose to wear wigs and the lot has to do with a lack of clear understanding of how to better manage their natural hair or get it to look like they would want it to(something like that). undecided
Arguing with you is a waste of time.

You can move onπŸ™‚

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Kobojunkie: 6:00pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
β–  Lol the problem that some of you women might have with yourself is your desire to always argue and counter everything you perceive is against women. Go through all my threads. I'm pro women, pro Nigerian womenπŸ’― Im not about to derail my thread by arguing on what is considered beautiful to this person and that person. I don't argue on exceptional grounds, I state fact and what is generally acceptable. My thread is for women who are willing to examine how wrong they are approaching the world and open to learning. Not women who want to show me what one nobody likes in women. Not interested ma'am
But here you are redefining the beauty standard for all Nigerian women, and insisting that women who do not do as you suggest are wrong. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 6:01pm On Jun 19, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Awesome.

Judging and insulting people more will get you faster to your goal of preaching this. πŸ‘

Let's not talk about how you're even saying all these Beauty Codes of Conduct as something every woman should adhere to.

I have agreed that staying fit for health reasons is admirable, but baby girl, not every woman desires a Nengi's face or a Nancy Isime's body shape. grin grin

There are different kinds of women in positions of power, however small. Beauty only get you some kind of power, under conditions that are subject to its dictates.

You cannot tell me the WTO was looking at face when they picked Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as their Director-General. Go to the national agencies of the country and see the women in high-ranking positions, and come back to tell me how they look like.

There are plain-looking executives and career women everywhere. These people wield power (economic, political), and they are also finding spouses too, I should add.

Have fun being you. Lol
Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
Arguing with you is a waste of time. You can move onπŸ™‚
Your OP reads of someone who is here to cast down all women who do not wear their hair naturally and all women who are obese for one reason or another, in order to proclaim her standard the only way to go for Nigerian women, Why? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:06pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
. Lol the problem that some of you women might have with yourself is your desire to always argue and counter everything you perceive is against women.

Go through all my threads. I'm pro women, pro Nigerian womenπŸ’―

Im not about to derail my thread by arguing on what is considered beautiful to this person and that person. I don't argue on exceptional grounds, I state fact and what is generally acceptable.

My thread is for women who are willing to examine how wrong they are approaching the world and open to learning.

Not women who want to show me what one nobody likes in women. Not interested ma'am

Your feeling of being attacked or picking offense in on you.

Why did you post this online if you were not looking for contributions? undecided

Like, how does this even make sense to you? "How wrong they are and are willing to learn" all on subjective opinions you've not been able to defend. Not one. You're neither willing to elaborate or to show exactly what you're talking about.

You're basically looking for people who agree with you, judging by your response to MrBrownJay as opposed to others, but you want to advise 'Nigerian women.' All of us.

YOU are not opened to the possibility that you may be wrong. I am sure the FACTS you speak of are in the room with us right now. They are so in my face that I can't see anything else.

Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:12pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:

Now you're contradicting yourself.

You obviously said 'beautiful women' are placed on a pedestal. If someone is placed on a pedestal, is it not because they are liked?

And you said beauty is power. How does beauty translate to power? Who gives 'beautiful women' whatever power? Their haters?

Mind you, I have not said you're anti-women.

You can believe you're the biggest champion of women alive and still get some things wrong. They are not mutually exclusive.

I know you will not indulge me now if I tell you to list the things that make you think that you're woman enough (or to post your pic so we can see your natural hair and fit shape). And ontop of that, you will still fall short of womanly standards in other people's eyes. Abi you get body like Kim K?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:15pm On Jun 19, 2023
Geminita1:
Have fun being you. Lol

And you too, Gem Gem. Just as other Nigerian women will be themselves too. You cannot do anything about that.

I will recommend the Diary section to you for the next time you feel like sharing something like this.

Have a great evening (or morning, wherever you are).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Geminita1(f): 6:20pm On Jun 19, 2023
I'm not going to go round in cycle with women who are refusing to see the point of this thread. I'm too smart for that!

My thread stands. I don't create threads to go back and forth with anyone that's why I always make sure my original posts are lengthy enough to contain everything I want to say cos I don't have time to argue with women who stay on their phones 24/7. My threads are for women with real life experiences not women who live in this delusion that things should be the way they think it should be.

The world outside is a different ball game and I play accordingly not blindly.

When I want to talk of intelligent women I would cite Ngozi Okonji. But my thread isn't for women like her so monikers like the above challenging me should hold their peace. Not interested in your woke ideals of what a woman can be.

In your bid to "protect women" you set them up for failure.

My thread is to correct the damage your modern social engineering has done to women.

Women need to realize they are women and operate in their full powers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Can We Normalize Wearing Our Natural Hair And Staying Fit? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:28pm On Jun 19, 2023
When I want to talk of intelligent women I would cite Ngozi Okonji. But my thread isn't for women like her so monikers like the above challenging me should hold their peace. Not interested in your woke ideals of what a woman can be.

This girl dey kill me.

You want to advise Nigerian women, but suddenly NOI and her kind are exempted. So this post is, afterall, directed at a specific demography of women.

Good.

Shey that's why I keep mentioning Nengi, Nancy Isime and Kim Kardashian. On the surface, Not EVERY woman will be like them, and that's okay.

If you're not speaking to all types* of women, then your topic and post is wrong to be speaking to every woman.

And she's yet another ********* Nigerian bastardizing the word 'wokeness'. Saying women are not homogeneous now is a woke statement? 🀣🀣🀣 So d****.

Oga o. It would seem as if being anti-woke these days is to be anti- critical thinking, because I don't know anything I am saying that is unrealistic.

But go on/off, Mrs. Know-It-All.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does It Mean If You Finish Having Sex With A Lady And She Said This / Love Could Be Funny / What Does It Mean When A Male Stares At A Female With An Expressionless Face?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.