Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk (2591 Views)

PHOTOS: Biafra Leaders Meet British Prime Minister David Cameron / Fashola Writes FG On Condition Of Oshodi-apapa Expressway / Nigeria Born Chuka Umunna Set To Become The First black British Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by EkoIle1: 4:44am On Oct 03, 2011
Fashola writes British Prime Minister on exodus of Nigerian students to UK

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Tuesday advocated greater collaboration between the United Kingdom and Lagos State in the field of skills development especially education.
[b]
Governor Fashola who spoke when he received the United Kingdom Home Office Minister of State for Immigration, Mr Damian Green (MP) at Lagos House, Ikeja on a courtesy call added that through it, affiliation can be created for British Universities in Lagos to see the possibility of rendering services that can keep the people at home and still benefit from the education.

Said he: “I have been thinking that, is there any way we can create affiliations for British Universities in Lagos and see whether we can render those services that can keep our people at home and also keep the economic benefits for U.K Skills development centres in a way that affords a win-win situation”.

“I have already written to the British Prime Minister on some of these issues. We have a State University which we are repositioning and I think this represents some of the possibilities that we want to leverage”.

He added that he has enjoyed a wonderful working relationship with the Deputy High Commissioner for the British High Commission in Nigeria and his team who are extremely business oriented.[/b]

The Governor stated that he is regularly being briefed by his aides that progress is being made on many fronts and expressed the hope that something tangible can be put together that will signify the re-invigoration of business relations between Nigeria and United Kingdom.

Governor Fashola reiterated that this are very challenging times for leaders at all levels simply because many economies are not lending itself to the many solutions that are being proffered to tackle current challenges.

“The expectations of our people on many front is that things will happen quickly than we are able to deal with them as leaders. However, the best days still lie ahead of us and we must understand that people would always be what they will be-impatient and critical”.

Governor Fashola who also spoke on the issue of security challenges in Nigeria said the government at the centre has taken measures to reposition law enforcement agencies as well as strengthen the nation’s borders.

Governor Fashola who noted that going by weather indications the people of United Kingdom would experience a very cold winter period this year, added that the people of Lagos will be very willing to play host to U.K citizens who may wish to come and savour the warm weather.

He said to underscore this, the state Government is facilitating the promotion of tourism which it believes has a large opportunity for growth and employment and has also created a Ministry of Tourism to harness the opportunities.

Speaking earlier, the U.K Home Office Minister of State for Immigration, Mr Damian Green (MP) said he has been told a lot about the efforts and initiatives of the Governor to improve governance in the State.

He explained that he was in Lagos for the first time as part of his intentions to establish trading and investment link in one of the fastest growing and important economies in the years ahead.

He also promised the Governor that he will take up the request for educational partnership with the British Government as requested by the Governor on his return home.

Mr Green reiterated that his ministry issues visas to hundreds of thousands of Nigerians coming to the United Kingdom while the ministry is keen on ensuring that it improves business relations and also offer quality service to business travelers.

The event was attended by members of the State Executive Council including the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture, Mr Oyinlomo Danmole and members of the entourage of the British Minister including the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr Robin Gwynn.

http://dailypost-ng.com/2011/09/28/fashola-writes-british-prime-minister-on-exodus-of-nigerian-students-to-uk/
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by johnie: 7:28am On Oct 03, 2011
Fashola said this? Waoh!

Governor Fashola reiterated that this are very challenging times for leaders at all levels simply because many economies are not lending itself to the many solutions that are being proffered to tackle current challenges.

“The expectations of our people on many front is that things will happen quickly than we are able to deal with them as leaders. However, the best days still lie ahead of us and we must understand that people would always be what they will be-impatient and critical”.

Governor Fashola who also spoke on the issue of security challenges in Nigeria said the government at the centre has taken measures to reposition law enforcement agencies as well as strengthen the nation’s borders.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by lagcity(m): 7:36am On Oct 03, 2011
Fash na presidential material. He has done well for Nigeria, not only Lagos.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by Desola(f): 8:05am On Oct 03, 2011
Wow! I am very glad that he touched on tourism also as I believe that Lagos has an untapped potential with its beautiful beaches (or should I say potentially beautiful). With the current air of displeasure and the silent murmur of breakup, Lagos as the administrative and commercial nerve of Oodualand, needs to look into diversification and start to wean itself off the government of Nigeria and the manpower that Nigeria produces.

Let's look inwardly people; stop slaving for Nigeria and start smelling the strong coffee coming from the Nigerian kitchen. All these "the government at the centre" has to stop! We are the government and if we stand together as the broom, we would do exploit.

Okay, so I have gone off tangent again but the message is undeniable. As for the statements made by Fashola, it makes me proud to be an Oodua and shows that the West is sprawling with enlightened individuals.

God bless Lagos, God bless Yorubaland.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by werepeLeri: 8:13am On Oct 03, 2011
The only part that seems to align with the topic of this thread is the one below:
The topic of the thread and the content does not align well.

Governor Fashola who spoke when he received the United Kingdom Home Office Minister of State for Immigration, Mr Damian Green (MP) at Lagos House, Ikeja on a courtesy call added that through it, affiliation can be created for British Universities in Lagos to see the possibility of rendering services that can keep the people at home and still benefit from the education.

Said he: “I have been thinking that, is there any way we can create affiliations for British Universities in Lagos and see whether we can render those services that can keep our people at home and also keep the economic benefits for U.K Skills development centres in a way that affords a win-win situation”.

“I have already written to the British Prime Minister on some of these issues. We have a State University which we are repositioning and I think this represents some of the possibilities that we want to leverage”.

Mr Fashola sir. You have spoken under the assumption that most poeple who travel out to the UK to study do so under the quest for education mainly? If so, why do majority of them stay put even after the expiration of the study visa? You may want to research the statement above properly sir, majority of people who are on "exodus" to the UK- even though you didnt use the word exodus - most of them have more other reasons they do so. Thus, even if you bring the equivalent of Oxford University to Nigeria, or Oxford University campuses to Lagos State - most people will still shun this and prefer to "exude" to the UK. This is a fact sir.

Thank you for making the statement below:

Thank you for speaking glowingly about the government at the centre. It means some of your followers do not really think the way you do sir.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by dustydee: 8:17am On Oct 03, 2011
The UK make Billions yearly from Nigerian students, we can actually benefit from a good educational system.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by johnie: 9:04am On Oct 03, 2011
Well said werepeLeri.

And you got my point too.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 9:21am On Oct 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

Mr Fashola sir. You have spoken under the assumption that most poeple who travel out to the UK to study do so under the quest for education mainly? If so, why do majority of them stay put even after the expiration of the study visa? You may want to research the statement above properly sir, majority of people who are on "exodus" to the UK- even though you didnt use the word exodus - most of them have more other reasons they do so. Thus, even if you bring the equivalent of Oxford University to Nigeria, or Oxford University campuses to Lagos State - most people will still shun this and prefer to "exude" to the UK. This is a fact sir.

Why? If you bring a well-funded, excellent university to Nigeria, then companies will look first there to hire.

If Fashola can build the equivalent of an IIT/Sharif/Tsinghua (India, Iran and China, respectively) in Nigeria, then graduates of such a school would not have any difficulty being hired. Companies would flock to hire them, in fact.

Granted, children of the very rich who meet the academic requirements of this hypothetical Lagos IIT would still prefer to go abroad. But your middle class and poor who are bright enough to gain admissions would prefer just staying local.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 9:26am On Oct 03, 2011
Anyway, I wish Fashola well on his quest.

It is possible to build an elite public school. Several US states (California, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Texas) have done this.

If you are a resident of any of those states and get into the top school in your state, you can get as good an education as an expensive private school.

Perhaps we can find a way to do the same in Lagos, who knows.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by werepeLeri: 9:35am On Oct 03, 2011
LOL.

I wonder if it had been the President who made this suggestion. He would have been called names as usual.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2011
I can never be against someone who genuinely wants to improve education.

That is something I don't play politics with.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by PointB: 10:04am On Oct 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

LOL.

I wonder if it had been the President who made this suggestion. He would have been called names as usual.

Very correct!

But because Fashola made very general and largely academic comments; now he should be the president. Na wa for this butt-lickers.

@Topic,

Fashola has said nada!
Lets analyis it:

What services? I have been thinking too. Just haven't met the Ambassador yet to let him know that I have been thinking.  grin grin grin

Ok, you are repositioning a State University - LASU, I suppose? Carry on! GEJ is promoting new Universities to accommodate and educate the ever growing Nigeria learning populace. I rather we build bigger universities, so that what happened (in happening) in the power sector (inadaquate power station) will not rear it ugly head in the education sector 20 years from now. GEJ has a better solution on education!

He added that he has enjoyed a wonderful working relationship with the Deputy High Commissioner for the British High Commission in Nigeria and his team who are extremely business oriented.

That is how it starts- butt-licking the white man! Tomorrow, wikileaks will tell us other stuff he said in 'private' to the Ambassador! grin grin

The rest of the comment are the official balderdash!

There is nothing worth writing home about in those comments, no matter how much Fashola sycophant would like to twist it.

FASHOLA SHOULD FIX LAGOS ROADS!
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by werepeLeri: 10:11am On Oct 03, 2011
Fashola for President my behind. LOL

What has he said really? He wants to make LASU a campus of one of the UK Universities, maybe! Tufiakwa
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 10:30am On Oct 03, 2011
The cynicism here puzzles me
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by texazzpete(m): 10:37am On Oct 03, 2011
Surprising statement from Fashola, to be honest.

People emigrate to seek greener pastures. Can he promise all lagosians better conditions of life if they stay put in Nigeria? We all saw the careless way he handled the doctors strike of last year. Doctors were left overworked and underpaid in Lagos while they gazed enviously at their better appreciated brethren in the west.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by texazzpete(m): 10:38am On Oct 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yeah right, like you've been the soul of optimism on Nairaland in the past.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by werepeLeri: 10:45am On Oct 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

Oh yeah? This is funny coming from you.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by EkoIle1: 10:51am On Oct 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

I really don't know why you bother sometimes. These clowns are not worth your type of rational argument and you know what side of the fence they are on and will ever be on regardless of the topic, and before you know, they'll deploy their double IDs to tag team and overwhelm you, these are dishonest people and you really need to know that.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 10:53am On Oct 03, 2011
@texazzpete and @werepeLeri: I don't see the relevance of any cynicism I've had about past policies. Usually I offer reasons for why I think something will work, or won't work. I'm not a light switch flipped to on or off; I evaluate on a case-by-case basis.

Anyway, regarding this, what is wrong with poaching away some of the students who go to the UK spending enormous amounts of money per year on school?

Folks even send their kids to go to Ghana to university.

Why not try to win some of that revenue for Lagos? In a nutshell, why is this a dumb or impractical idea, unworthy of exploring? Nobody has offered any reasons yet for why this is silly and won't work.

Hell, the UK is making a ton of cash from these rich Nigerians. Why is it dumb for Lagos to try to do the same?
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 11:03am On Oct 03, 2011
I have an uncle who sent his two kids to Canada for university.

They plan on returning to Nigeria at some point to work.

If the University of Toronto decided to open up a campus in Lagos, why wouldn't my uncle just have his kids go there? They get a world-class education and he saves a lot of cash (even if they charge the same exact tuition, he'll save money on accommodation.) Is this not a win for both my uncle and Lagos? Even U of T wins (well, possibly.)

Like I said, I don't see why this is a dumb idea. Perhaps it is, but it isn't obvious to me.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by texazzpete(m): 11:12am On Oct 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

I have an uncle who sent his two kids to Canada for university.

They plan on returning to Nigeria at some point to work.

If the University of Toronto decided to open up a campus in Lagos, why wouldn't my uncle just have his kids go there? They get a world-class education and he saves a lot of cash (even if they charge the same exact tuition, he'll save money on accommodation.) Is this not a win for both my uncle and Lagos? Even U of T wins (well, possibly.)

Like I said, I don't see why this is a dumb idea. Perhaps it is, but it isn't obvious to me.

The article talks about 'repositioning' LASU, not necessarily about foreign Unis opening a branch in Nigeria. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by hercules07: 11:19am On Oct 03, 2011
It is a good idea at the tertiary level, let the schools come here to offer the same standard of education that is over there, another way to go is for the Lagos state government to spend serious money ( I mean very serious) on LASU, so that it will be among the best universities in Africa, the first step is to make sure admission is strictly on merit.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 11:34am On Oct 03, 2011
Right, so I don't know what "reposition" or "affiliation" look like in this context.

Does reposition = make LASU this university attractive to all these kids going abroad? If so, probably won't work out too well.

Or does he want to make a new flagship campus, one jointly owned/managed by Lagos and some foreign well-regarded university? To use a Georgia analogy, maybe for him "reposition" means create a Georgia Tech to LASU's University of Georgia (Georgia Tech is the best public school in Georgia, very well-regarded, much harder to get into than UGA and also costs more money.)

We are lacking details on how exactly he wants to achieve his goal.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ektbear: 11:38am On Oct 03, 2011
hercules07:

the first step is to make sure admission is strictly on merit.

Do that and the rich dumb kids won't get in grin And you need their cash to pay bills.

So you can never really make it pure merit, unless you plan on having the Lagos taxpayer foot much of the bill for education.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by philip0906(m): 11:51am On Oct 03, 2011
PointB:

Very correct!

But because Fashola made very general and largely academic comments; now he should be the president. Na wa for this butt-lickers.

@Topic,

Fashola has said nada!
Lets analyis it:

What services? I have been thinking too. Just haven't met the Ambassador yet to let him know that I have been thinking. grin grin grin

Ok, you are repositioning a State University - LASU, I suppose? Carry on! GEJ is promoting new Universities to accommodate and educate the ever growing Nigeria learning populace. I rather we build bigger universities, so that what happened (in happening) in the power sector (inadaquate power station) will not rear it ugly head in the education sector 20 years from now. GEJ has a better solution on education!

That is how it starts- butt-licking the white man! Tomorrow, wikileaks will tell us other stuff he said in 'private' to the Ambassador! grin grin

The rest of the comment are the official balderdash!

There is nothing worth writing home about in those comments, no matter how much Fashola sycophant would like to twist it.

[size=28pt]FASHOLA SHOULD FIX LAGOS ROADS[/size]!

My broda I tire with this him over zealousness.This same dude was blasting Fg roads about oshodi-apapa road,when Lagos roads are in a state of comatose.Please tell this guy,that not all of us are gullible with all this his superman antics. . .
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by texazzpete(m): 12:02pm On Oct 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

Right, so I don't know what "reposition" or "affiliation" look like in this context.

Does reposition = make LASU this university attractive to all these kids going abroad? If so, probably won't work out too well.

Or does he want to make a new flagship campus, one jointly owned/managed by Lagos and some foreign well-regarded university? To use a Georgia analogy, maybe for him "reposition" means create a Georgia Tech to LASU's University of Georgia (Georgia Tech is the best public school in Georgia, very well-regarded, much harder to get into than UGA and also costs more money.)

We are lacking details on how exactly he wants to achieve his goal.

The article is rather clear once you take a more than cursory look at it.
He is talking about improving LASU and if possible, signing agreements with some of these foreign Unis to perhaps offer some courses in affiliation with LASU.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by PointB: 12:05pm On Oct 03, 2011
philip0906:

My broda I tire with this him over zealousness.This same dude was blasting Fg roads about oshodi-apapa road,when Lagos roads are in a state of comatose.Please tell this guy,that not all of us are gullible with all this his superman antics. . .

I am sure his sycophants here a getting the message. With all the revenue generated in the state, the very least he could do is to fix the roads; but we keep getting stories and excuses, and phantom development. Fashola is clearly overrated!

[size=28pt]JUST FIX LAGOS ROADS, FASHOLA!![/size]
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by seanet02: 12:38pm On Oct 03, 2011
PointB:

I am sure his sycophants here a getting the message. With all the revenue generated in the state, the very least he could do is to fix the roads; but we keep getting stories and excuses, and phantom development. Fashola is clearly overrated!

[size=28pt]JUST FIX LAGOS ROADS, FASHOLA!![/size]
Illiteracy of the Highest Order!!
Even in UK, there are still Pot Holes and Slums.
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by philip0906(m): 12:57pm On Oct 03, 2011
seanet02:

Illiteracy of the Highest Order!!
[size=18pt]Even in UK, there are still Pot Holes and Slums[/size].

[size=18pt]LOLLLLLLLLLLLL I loff this reply. . .Typical political answer.What an answer/ excuse as to y our roads are bad and death traps.More like what Jonathan said "Its not only Nigeria that bombs go off,it happens every where" (yet u were among those criticising the president). . .My friend,go and update your PR skills.Just take a look at the smart answer. . .LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl[/size]  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by PointB: 1:34pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^^

I like a good laugh. Permit me to join in.

Relax, potholes exist everywhere, Lagos cannot be an exception - [i]Ode[/i]seanet02grin grin grin  grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ak47mann(m): 1:59pm On Oct 03, 2011
Nigerians and their mago mago fashola is not bad but he should take it easy let him fix Lagos state first he need to prove himself more b4 he can command respect from westerners cool
Re: Fashola Writes British Prime Minister On Exodus Of Nigerian Students To Uk by ak47mann(m): 2:00pm On Oct 03, 2011
PointB:

^^^

I like a good laugh. Permit me to join in.

Relax, potholes exist everywhere, Lagos cannot be an exception - [i]Ode[/i]seanet02grin grin grin  grin cheesy cheesy
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okonjo-Iweala Opens Up- Nigeria Economy In Grave Danger / LAGOS MEGA RALLY: Jonathan Stalled $1.354bn Lekki Deep Sea Port - Fashola / Asari Dokubo Receives New Warning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.