Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,764 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? (17471 Views)

See This Thing I Killed In My Room That Looks Like A Snake / Man Shares Photos Of Monkey He Just Killed That Looks Like Human In PH / OMG ! This Is What It looks like In a Shopping Mall In China (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by yom2(m): 8:47pm On Jun 22, 2023
Worriedguy6699:
All I can say is people are mean to ugly folks and nicer to good looking folks.
though it is natural but check out those who strongly uphold this practice U find out they are very shollow human beings. I rather leave people with their problems and looks knowing fully well that the tides of life can swing either way any time. Na grace of God matters most

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Exceed15: 9:02pm On Jun 22, 2023
CartelKenneth:

that’s how you see them because you know them personally but to other people who don’t know them they are freaks

I understand you bro. I know it's not easy coping with how people see them. However, the person need to show attitude of not being pitiable. With time people won't see it anymore.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2023
If you don't mind, can you explain to some of us your identity then? Since you know who you are.

Because I really don't know how to classify or identify you guys, the only thing I know is that you're Coloureds... I don't know as to whether I should identify you guys as Africans, or non- Africans.

Sure, by citizenship, you guys are South Africans, but that's all I know.

I hope I'm not asking for too much.
mzansiboy:

I don't need to, I know who I am.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:22pm On Jun 22, 2023
First impression still matters, we all profile someone through their looks. There are folks out there that wouldn't give you a second look if you're a guy, on dread, piercing and fully tatted, in fact, you can't even convince them that that those things don't define your personality.

During my days in the banking sector, I try not give myself away as a banker and most people from the hood still think I'm just a regular hustler and nothing more, am I angry with their perception, never, am I happy with it, honestly, I'm glad they see me as an ordinary guy tryna make a living and not just a Catholic making the pope.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by airliner(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2023
Samantha124:
No, I've never been discriminated before, but each time I go to the salon I get questions like "are you a coloured? Do you have a mixed or a white family background? How sure are you that you don't have a white ancestry?"

All these questions can be really tiring sometimes because I always have to explain myself.

I've got a 4A hair texture and sometimes people question it because I'm also fair in complexion.

I've been told that I look like an Ethiopian, one girl back in high school once told me of how I

looked like those illegal Pakistani migrants here in SA.

Gracias
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Pleasant101: 10:19pm On Jun 22, 2023
Dpsychologist:
They say good looking people are often perceived as more intelligent, honest and successful.

1. Have you ever been discriminated because of your looks?

2. Was someone who is more attractive than you favoured over you, even when you know deep down that you are better?

3. Do you think lookism (discrimination based on looks) exists?

Will love to see your comments. I need to carry out a survey.

Am the chairman of this forum, it's really not a gud phase as it's always been this way all my life, up till now at place of work, am just perceived as the bad person even wen my mind is as flexible ND fragile than a egg
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Haymus007(m): 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2023
goldstar25:
no i haven't. people always like and favor me because of my small voice and as for looks i know i am beautiful.
But ur pics isn't even on ur profile so how do we know??
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Daxray07(m): 12:34am On Jun 23, 2023
Ugliness is always associated with evil in this part of the world. I know a guy that have been arrested countless times just because of his face. He doesn't drink, smoke, steal, womanize or do any illegal thing but police no dey allow am rest cry
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Tzark94: 12:59am On Jun 23, 2023
I don't envy you grin

Samantha124:
No, I've never been discriminated before, but each time I go to the salon I get questions like "are you a coloured? Do you have a mixed or a white family background? How sure are you that you don't have a white ancestry?"

All these questions can be really tiring sometimes because I always have to explain myself.

I've got a 4A hair texture and sometimes people question it because I'm also fair in complexion.

I've been told that I look like an Ethiopian, one girl back in high school once told me of how I looked like those illegal Pakistani migrants here in SA.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by mzansiboy(m): 10:00am On Jun 23, 2023
Samantha124:
If you don't mind, can you explain to some of us your identity then? Since you know who you are.

Because I really don't know how to classify or identify you guys, the only thing I know is that you're Coloureds... I don't know as to whether I should identify you guys as Africans, or non- Africans.

Sure, by citizenship, you guys are South Africans, but that's all I know.

I hope I'm not asking for too much.

I am african, South African and "black". My people were colonised in 1652 by the dutch, and took our land which we are still fighting for today. So I am from the nama tribe from the Khoisan people. I wish I could give you the whole history of my people, but maybe on another occation.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Badmashii(m): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2023
GreatVocalist:

Very twisted, sick and misleading mentality you got there. A woman should be defined by how a myopic society views her? She should do something about her looks? Something like what exactly?

People don't create themselves, or determine the genetic combination that form their appearance. If this is the case, then it simply means that looks should not matter.

It's unfortunate that we live in a society where people who are supposedly not good looking are looked down on, or completely written off.

Sometimes, one wonders why most people who're in the news for the wrong reasons are not exactly good looking.

Brother abi sister,it is what it is.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by 1Sharon(f): 10:50am On Jun 23, 2023
tianshie:

This feels like a backhanded brag.

It's not a back handed brag. Black people can very ignorant.

Black women that have very long hair get asked the same questions
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by fxstar: 11:47am On Jun 23, 2023
The concept of "lookism" or discrimination based on physical appearance is recognized in the fields of sociology, psychology, and employment law, among others. Studies have shown that societal biases can influence how people are perceived and treated based on their looks. This can manifest in many ways, such as preferential treatment, job hiring or promotions, social interactions, and even in the legal system.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2023
Okay, the reason I asked is because I've seen some people from Northern Cape who look like full blooded Khoisans denying to be Khoisan, but calling themselves Coloureds.
mzansiboy:

I am african, South African and "black". My people were colonised in 1652 by the dutch, and took our land which we are still fighting for today. So I am from the nama tribe from the Khoisan people. I wish I could give you the whole history of my people, but maybe on another occation.
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Goalnaldo(m): 2:10pm On Jun 23, 2023
The way people look at me everyday is beyond depressing. I feel insecure going out.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by koladebrainiac(m): 2:21pm On Jun 23, 2023
4KNGOATS:

You seem to be fkd up victim of your story, are you looking for a fellow niga
people like you have no tangible statement to utter only negative statement and strong language all the time, common your statement is terrible bro
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by Nahunger(m): 6:00am On Jun 24, 2023
Samantha124:
It's cold.

We're currently in the winter season.

Are you still cold or I should wait small 🥲
Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by mzansiboy(m): 1:35pm On Jun 24, 2023
Samantha124:
Okay, the reason I asked is because I've seen some people from Northern Cape who look like full blooded Khoisans denying to be Khoisan, but calling themselves Coloureds.

For as long as the ANC do not recognise the Khoisan as the first nation, we will have this problem. If you hear and see something for years then eventually will start to believe it. I hope something will change someday.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? by ginawyllie: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2023
I cannot be discriminated against based on my appearance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Good Names To Call Fat People Thread By Tone Tubby / The Important Things In Life. Get Motivated Now!!!!!!! / What Is Your Greatest Fear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.