Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,097 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre (22128 Views)

NNPCL Pegs Ex-Depot Price At ₦479.50 Per Litre / Petrol Scarcity: NNPCL, Marketers Plan N148/litre Ex-depot Price / Petrol To Sell At 117 Per Litre As PPMC Slashes Ex-Depot Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 12:53pm On Jun 21, 2023
SalamRushdie:

Another failed 28 year old , yuck

. Seriously man, I used to think you were more mature than this.

Good afternoon.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by SalamRushdie: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

. Seriously man, I used to think you were more mature than this.

Good afternoon.

You refused to sympathize with what Nigerians have been going through because of wicked govts by saying our petrol is cheap , have you checked petrol price of other OPEC members ? Why should Petro in a country with a GDP per Capita of 2000 dollars be more expensive than America whose GDP per Capita is over 70 thousand dollars ?

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by mrvitalis(m): 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2023
soccerlite:

You are talking as if nigeria is Japan or Korea

Nigeria don't have the technology, technical ability and companies

Well maybe those companies will have to come in
Speak for yourself sir
I have knowledge n technology
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 1:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
SalamRushdie:

You refused to sympathize with what Nigerians have been going through because of wicked govts by saying our petrol is cheap , have you checked petrol price of other OPEC members ? Why should Petro in a country with a GDP per Capita of 2000 dollars be more expensive than America whose GDP per Capita is over 70 thousand dollars ?

On the other hand, keep paying the subsidy, and we reach a point where subsidy payments are larger than our earnings...infact we are almost there. It does not matter about gdp...so long as we ignore the rules of business which means in selling a product you must earn more than the cost of producting and transporting it, we would only get into more debt.

It is not a matter of what we want now, but a matter of saving our hides from future economic disaster of running out of money, and IMF refusing to lend us money. Like Sri Lanka is in right now, and to some extent Lebanon. As I have said here many times, we are not the masters of our destiny. We have gotten into debt from pretending fuel is cheap, now the day of reckoning is here, and pretending that it isn't is a nice way of getting us into more trobule and trials

Yes, Tinubu and Buhari are hypocrites, as are most of our past leaders, and yes they got us here. But kvethcing about the past or even removing this government and replacing it with a people;s government does not solve the problem that subsides are causing our economy...or remedy the fact that we have severe debt.

Oga, you think I don't care? I do. I care very much about this country. That I think different from you about how to solve our problems does not mean that you should call me a failed 28 year old. Or tell me to sharrap. If I spoke to you that way, you would be angry. Yet, you chose to speak to me that way. And you expect me to be happy with you.

Good afternoon. And grow up please. And don't quote me again. You are a very rude and childish person, and you called me names. And I am very angry with you because I expected better from you, a member of this site of long standing.

Move along now.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nwakibie3(m): 1:11pm On Jun 21, 2023
Jackiedemie:
I think when Dangote refinery is operating at full capacity... The rate of FX on import id PMS will reduce hence the price might Reduce as well as creating both direct and indirect employment in tenth fold than direct importation

Which dangote refinery are you talking about? Una no dey even understand what's going on sef grin

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by Electorate: 1:18pm On Jun 21, 2023
HenryWilliams:
This is just clueless thinking..
We have abundance of CNG in Nigeria.
Let the FG start a hybrid system scheme.
Anyone interested in converting their cars to use PMS and CNG can sign up ..
Owner pays 75%
FG pays the rest.
It's doable and will reduce the demand on PMS and possibly the price as well.
This should have been done at least a year ago.

nairalanda1:

Well , the appropriate body has approved six importers and is ready to approve more

CodeTemplar:
Naira strengthens and an imported product goes up in price. How is that possible?

It is called Tinubuconomics, invented by bala blu bulaba...enjoy your renewed hopelessness...grin grin grin grin

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nwakibie3(m): 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2023
yaki84:

Oga fuel dey everywhere, there is ample supply of products infact the entire country is flooded with fuel but cash no dey to buy.

I just saw fuel price index for all countries...

Fuel is sold at 1.3dolls per litre at international rate, convert it to naira that is 910naira at 700naira per dollar rate.

What we r praying for is good policies that will revalue the naira against dollar and push down the price of fuel downward...
But this too will also affect the country cos we rely on this high exchange rate to fund our domestic spending....

Ok but what's the minimum wage for those other countries? Add it to this your analysis so it will be complete then we can talk.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by JujuYouth: 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2023
jmoore:
4.3% is not something to worry about.
So save your crying energy for the big one that will hit by July or August.
By the time they import petrol with dollars bought at 750 naira, una go hear am.

Electricity bills increment by 40% from July 1st kon join.
Leave them.. make them dey support the drug guzzling power hungry morafuka and his evil policies.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by LeopardX: 1:49pm On Jun 21, 2023
Jackiedemie:
I think when Dangote refinery is operating at full capacity... The rate of FX on import id PMS will reduce hence the price might Reduce as well as creating both direct and indirect employment in tenth fold than direct importation
The question is, when will the refinery begin operation?
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by TheOldGods: 1:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

Yes I did, and do you know our fuel subsidy cost for one month as at this year?

600 billion naira

24 billion naira cannot pay for subsidy costs for one week talkless of one month.

Oga, I do not support corrupt leaders, so take your anger elsewhere, and grow up.

Seriously. You guys should read sometimes. Haba!
young man,. I never said they should keep or remove subsidy. I only mentioned that 24billilion is spent for reps accomodation only. It is not only fuel subsidy corruption, but also cost of governance corruption too should be looked and reduced. Dem no wan gree increase minimum order wage. 24 billion can pay up to 20,000 federal workers at 150k per month, instead of only 300 people or less

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by Tianamen1: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

LOL...we are not paying more than the USA.

Some parts of the USA pay even higher than we do, eg California.

At the end, the secotr needs to make a profit, because things cost money, and people want to be paid. and many of the people who want to be paid are poor Nigerians, ordinary Nigerians, not just the rich cats.

The average petrol price in America today is the same as in 2006. Try to get this in your head. Prices are increasing in Nigeria because the Naira keeps falling in value.

The Naira's fall in value is due to population increase, changes in taste and preferences due to the internet (social media), and a lack of productivity amongst the Nigerian masses.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by a4cube: 2:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
georgeakins:

The licence should not be given to any crook who will be bringing substandard fuel into Nigeria.

Only major oil marketers should be allowed.

We don't need useless Ibo man competition.
Nnpc sold something that is not petrol last Yr to motorist. Hope you knew about it. Fear of ibo man is keeping Nigeria down. Everyone is chopping the breakfast.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:
young man,. I never said they should keep or remove subsidy. I only mentioned that 24billilion is spent for reps accomodation only. It is not only fuel subsidy corruption, but also cost of governance corruption too should be looked and reduced. Dem no wan gree increase minimum order wage. 24 billion can pay up to 20,000 federal workers at 150k per month, instead of only 300 people or less

Na, you want the subsidy to stay.

At the end of the day, you think removing it is affecting the poor.

Sorry to dissapoint you, great-uncle.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
Electorate:

It is called Tinubuconomics, invented by bala blu bulaba...enjoy your renewed hopelessness...grin grin grin grin

LOL...so we should follow your version of economics, (not that Tinubu is any better) and keep paying subsidy till we are paying our entire oil revenue, plus loans plus more loans plus money we don't have to give you fuel at N40 a liter.

Laugh, but cheap fuel does not exist. Someone is paying for it somehwere.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
Tianamen1:

The average petrol price in America today is the same as in 2006. Try to get this in your head. Prices are increasing in Nigeria because the Naira keeps falling in value.

The Naira's fall in value is due to population increase, changes in taste and preferences due to the internet (social media), and a lack of productivity amongst the Nigerian masses.

Yeah, which is why we have to become more productive, something APC and PDP haven't cottoned on to.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by TheOldGods: 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

Na, you want the subsidy to stay.

At the end of the day, you think removing it is affecting the poor.

Sorry to dissapoint you, great-uncle.
I want subsidy to stay yes, but if government wants to remove it, they should find a way to do that without affecting you and me. Maybe if they made refineries worked and provided alternative to CNG gas now people use on Gen. Or maybe increased minimum wage before doing such things I won't complain . The money that is saved from subsidy, what has the government said it will do with it? Nothing. They told us nothing so who is not collecting the money? Where is it going?
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 3:10pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:
I want subsidy to stay yes, but if government wants to remove it, they should find a way to do that without affecting you and me. Maybe if they made refineries worked and provided alternative to CNG gas now people use on Gen. Or maybe increased minimum wage before doing such things I won't complain . The money that is saved from subsidy, what has the government said it will do with it? Nothing. They told us nothing so who is not collecting the money? Where is it going?

1.The problem is, if subsidy stays, we would end up spending far more than we earn to pay for the thing.

2.So long as the production cost keeps rising, as well as transport cost, subsidy costs would rise, and rise. This will happen even if we stop corruption , stealing and smuggling of fuel.

3.The refineries must be allowed to work at a profit, and subsidy has to be removed to allow that to happen. You keep subsidy, the government sets prices, which severely limits the revenue refineries can make. Also, since subsidy means refineries and their people get paid regardless of production or not, stealing will still result.

All in all, we are spending so much money on subsidy, that something had to give.

Below: Our subsidy spending from 2010-19

Note that subsidy spending fell in 2012,and 2016...that was the time fuel prices were raised from N65 TO N97 (in 2012) and N87 to N145 (2016)....the raising of fuel prices or partial removal of subsidy saved us a lot of money then. But as the production cost rises...so does the money spent on subsidy that even the partial removal is not enough, and prices have to be raised.

The second image shows our subsidy spending and oil revenue from 2020-22. Note the same thing is happening. Subsidy percentages of our oil revenue is rising again, esp from 2021...when oil prices rose again.

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by TheOldGods: 3:14pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

1.The problem is, if subsidy stays, we would end up spending far more than we earn to pay for the thing.

2.So long as the production cost keeps rising, as well as transport cost, subsidy costs would rise, and rise. This will happen even if we stop corruption , stealing and smuggling of fuel.

3.The refineries must be allowed to work at a profit, and subsidy has to be removed to allow that to happen. You keep subsidy, the government sets prices, which severely limits the revenue refineries can make. Also, since subsidy means refineries and their people get paid regardless of production or not, stealing will still result.

All in all, we are spending so much money on subsidy, that something had to give.

Below: Our subsidy spending from 2010-19

Note that subsidy spending fell in 2012,and 2016...that was the time fuel prices were raised from N65 TO N97 (in 2012) and N87 to N145 (2016)....the raising of fuel prices or partial removal of subsidy saved us a lot of money then. But as the production cost rises...so does the money spent on subsidy that even the partial removal is not enough, and prices have to be raised.

What promise or commitment or statement has tinubu said he will do with the saved subsidy money? Did he say he will revamp our health sector with the money being saved? Did he say it was rail way. Note you, federal government has removed subsidy from universities too. As of today uniben is paying 170k. All these money where is it going to go or where is it going? Yet they have already approved 24billion for accommodation only for House of reps.

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 3:17pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:

What promise or commitment or statement has tinubu said he will do with the saved subsidy money? Did he say he will revamp our health sector with the money being saved? Did he say it was rail way. Note you, federal government has removed subsidy from universities too. As of today uniben is paying 170k. All these money where is it going to go or where is it going? Yet they have already approved 24billion for accommodation only for House of reps.

That's a quesiton you have to ask your local APC supporter, not me, as I did not vote for them, do not trust them or even their opposite numbers in the PDP or LP, and wish that Nigerians voted for smaller parties in the last election.

One thing I always say is that Nigerians too have to put heat under their leaders. (Hell, even one prominent politican once said that Nigerians do not put heat under their feet long enough which is why it is easy for them to steal).

But the main reason why we are not rich is simple. We are not earning enough money. And so long as we rely on oil money we would always have that problem. That and so long as APC kkeeps on the corruption.

P.S And 24 billion won;t pay for a month;s subsidy nor would it be enough for one university. Maybe several primary schools or secondary schools...and it won't do much for one tertiary hospital. And yes, those senators and reps don't need that money.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 3:20pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:

By the way, you can now see why we cannot spend more money on subsidy?

Subsidy costs grow year in and year out. The more they grow, the more they eat out of our revenue.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by TheOldGods: 3:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

That's a quesiton you have to ask your local APC supporter, not me, as I did not vote for them, do not trust them or even their opposite numbers in the PDP or LP, and wish that Nigerians voted for smaller parties in the last election.

One thing I always say is that Nigerians too have to put heat under their leaders. (Hell, even one prominent politican once said that Nigerians do not put heat under their feet long enough which is why it is easy for them to steal).

But the main reason why we are not rich is simple. We are not earning enough money. And so long as we rely on oil money we would always have that problem. That and so long as APC kkeeps on the corruption.

P.S And 24 billion won;t pay for a month;s subsidy nor would it be enough for one university. Maybe several primary schools or secondary schools...and it won't do much for one tertiary hospital. And yes, those senators and reps don't need that money.
Bro even if we are rich, super rich and we don't put that heat like you said, the government will still squander the money. Tell me which hospital in Nigeria has a roof for helicopter emergencies? Even when oil was selling high, the money was looted, yet they go outside to enjoy that amenities. The simple thing is our leaders are very corrupt. We don't need to be so rich to build good hospital's where anyone can go. We don't need to be so rich to have constant electricity. Do you get money once and pay your house rent? Shebi you save it over time. If the government had project and was doing it small small but now since the last 20 years, we would have constant electricity, hospitals that can even do heart transplantation easily.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by TheOldGods: 3:23pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

Subsidy costs grow year in and year out. The more they grow, the more they eat out of our revenue.
If we have nothing else to gain from the government, either they are not building hospitals for us, then they should keep paying subsidy. We pay tax on almost everything. Where the hell is all that money going to go now the subsidy is out
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 3:28pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:
If we have nothing else to gain from the government, either they are not building hospitals for us, then they should keep paying subsidy. We pay tax on almost everything. Where the hell is all that money going to go now the subsidy is out

1.Then don't complain when they have to take loans for everything. Fact is, we have reached critical point where subsidy is chopping some 80% of our oil revenue, if we kept it. And rising.

2.Nigerian tax to gdp is low. You feel the tax because you are among the 30% who pays for the 70% who does not pay nothing./..because poverty.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2023
TheOldGods:
Bro even if we are rich, super rich and we don't put that heat like you said, the government will still squander the money. Tell me which hospital in Nigeria has a roof for helicopter emergencies? Even when oil was selling high, the money was looted, yet they go outside to enjoy that amenities. The simple thing is our leaders are very corrupt. We don't need to be so rich to build good hospital's where anyone can go. We don't need to be so rich to have constant electricity. Do you get money once and pay your house rent? Shebi you save it over time. If the government had project and was doing it small small but now since the last 20 years, we would have constant electricity, hospitals that can even do heart transplantation easily.

Then go into politics and change things...and leave this site alone.

Thank you.

Don't be here yelling at me. Yelling at me does not change things. I am not in gofment, nor do I work for them
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by georgeakins: 3:43pm On Jun 21, 2023
a4cube:
Nnpc sold something that is not petrol last Yr to motorist. Hope you knew about it. Fear of ibo man is keeping Nigeria down. Everyone is chopping the breakfast.

What is keeping Alaigbo down?
South East has been the most backward region since independence till date.
Nobody fears you, they just hateful you.
So, stop fooling yourselves
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by soccerlite: 3:58pm On Jun 21, 2023
mrvitalis:

Speak for yourself sir
I have knowledge n technology

Lolzzzzz 🤣
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by prophetfire: 4:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Naira strengthens and an imported product goes up in price. How is that possible?
Where did the naira strengthened? Naira closed yesterday at 756 both at official and parallel markets.
Forget some people that write lies to make Tinubu look like a performer. Prepare to buy fuel for up to 700 per liter soon.
And there's no Dangote refinery producing even ordinary urine till earliest 2025 if they can meet up. If not Dangote refinery normal probable production date is 2028.
Tinubu should have tackled the fraud in subsidy, do the refinery before this mess.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by a4cube: 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2023
georgeakins:

What is keeping Alaigbo down?
South East has been the most backward region since independence till date.
Nobody fears you, they just hateful you.
So, stop fooling yourselves
What kept Alaigbo down is the same thing that kept ala Yoruba and Ala Hausa down not forgetting that it also kept Nigeria down that is making everyone to japa. You can keep hating the Igbos, do we give a flying monkey about your hate? Capital NO. The hate is a burden to you and may kpai you if care is not taken.
Minus Lagos, Alaigbo is more developed and peaceful to your region.

Go and Verify.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by georgeakins: 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
a4cube:
What kept Alaigbo down is the same thing that kept ala Yoruba and Ala Hausa down not forgetting that it also kept Nigeria down that is making everyone to japa. You can keep hating the Igbos, do we give a flying monkey about your hate? Capital NO. The hate is a burden to you and may kpai you if care is not taken.
Minus Lagos, Alaigbo is more developed and peaceful to your region.

Go and Verify.

Ibo land is a cave.
That is why only Ibos live there.
Your bitterness , hate has made Ibo land backward since independence.
Check all the 6 regions in Nigeria, it is only in Iboland you won't see non natives residing. Ibo land is a jungle.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by Tianamen1: 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

Your second chart shows that the difference between gross revenues and subsidy payments between 2020 and 2022 remained constant at about 3.5 trillion.
Re: Ex-Depot Petrol Price Rises To ₦‎490 Per Litre by nairalanda1(m): 5:05pm On Jun 21, 2023
Tianamen1:

Your second chart shows that the difference between gross revenues and subsidy payments between 2020 and 2022 remained constant at about 3.5 trillion.

Yes, and it also shows subsidy costs were rising as a percentage of gross revenues. Also, prices were raised in 2022...from N167-195 , and in 2020, oil prices were so low that subsidy could not be paid.

But you guys miss the big point...money spent on subsidy still has to be found, and the only way to do so is by taking a loans. Remember that the oil revenue is supposed to be spent on budget...normal budget.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oyegun Receives PDP Faction Into APC / Olawale Oluwo, Ambode Commissioner Resigns From APC / INEC Delists All APC Candidates In Rivers, Smooth Ride For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.