Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,982 members, 7,810,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure (7996 Views)

Nigeria’s Daily Petrol Consumption Reduces By 33.58% - NMDPRA / Subsidy Removal Drags Down Petrol Consumption By 28% / NNPC: Subsidy Removal To Reduce Petrol Consumption By 30% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by ijustdey: 11:23am On Jun 21, 2023
The Nigerian Extractives Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) says there is no credible data to ascertain the daily consumption of petrol in Nigeria.

Orji Ogbonnaya, its executive secretary, said the agency will conduct a study to ascertain the accurate fuel consumption in the country.

The NEITI executive secretary spoke on Monday at the stakeholders validation workshop on the 2022 Annual Progress Report (APR) in Abuja.

Nigeria’s daily petrol consumption has remained a matter of mystery.

In 2022, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited said Nigerians consume “60 million litres of petrol daily”.

The figure was challenged by the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) which claimed that the national oil firm “lifts 98 million litres into the market”.

“If we are consuming 60 million litres of PMS per day by their (NNPC) own computation, why would you allow the release of 98 million litres per day?” NCS had queried.

On June 1, 2023 — nearly a year later — Mele Kyari, group chief executive officer (GCEO) of the NNPC, concluded that “there is no credible data to ascertain the daily consumption of petrol in Nigeria”.

As a result, Ogbonnaya stressed on the need for an empirical figure at the stakeholders forum.

“We believe that the figures that are being thrown up as daily consumption of PMS (fuel) in Nigeria are not very correct,” Ogbonnaya said.

“We think we need to have an empirical figure and that is why NEITI is commissioning a study on the actual PMS consumption in Nigeria.

“We have every reason to believe that the figure may be less than what is being projected and the removal of subsidy has also removed all the incentives for hiking this figure in a manner that lacks empirical and logical reason.”

Ogbonnaya said the agency has been pushing for the removal of fuel subsidies and now that it has been removed, the oil sector activities will become more transparent instead of being shrouded in secrecy.

“The removal of subsidy will remove a lot of opacity and suspicion in budgeting based on estimates. That is why subsidy removal is a very fundamental policy shift that needs to be sustained,” he added.

“For a very long time, my disposition has been for the removal of subsidy. And this government, right from day one, has taken that bold step. There shouldn’t be any going back.

“We should move forward from there and then put in place a robust arrangement that will show a clear departure from the way and manner we have operated under subsidy. Nigerians want to see what will change when the subsidy is no more.

“And we have highlighted this because we know that subsidies put a lot of impediments on transparency and accountability in the management of revenues from the oil and gas industry over the years.”

https://www.thecable.ng/neiti-to-investigate-daily-petrol-consumption-figure/amp

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Ofumin: 11:53am On Jun 21, 2023
Just too many Agencies, yet corruption is still at its peak

22 Likes

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by oskDon: 11:54am On Jun 21, 2023
I know the time when God will bless me is coming and when it does, I will leave this continent and never look back

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by DeeBaDan: 12:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
Clowns and thieves, eat the figures

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Igbosareuseless: 12:05pm On Jun 21, 2023
Rubbish, what have they been doing all these years? They should be scrapped

8 Likes

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Nairalandar: 12:20pm On Jun 21, 2023
Ok

1 Like

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by GreaterFuture(m): 12:20pm On Jun 21, 2023
Except it's a Private Organisation..., other than that...
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by EyeCumInPiece: 12:20pm On Jun 21, 2023
Good morning NEITI.

1 Like

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by IketownNigeria: 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
Black man too mumu , some people believe subsidy is the problem,nobody asking about all the corruption within NNPC,the same oil naija get na the same Saudi Arabia get,till black man ready to tell themselves the truth suffer go continue ,the so called subsidy money will still end up in a politicians glutton pocket.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by obembet(f): 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
Ofumin:
Just too many Agencies, yet corruption is still at its peak

That's the country we find ourselves. Let hope for something different from this new administration
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by clockwisereport: 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
Please, who can help me explain the roles of this agency called NEITI
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by FitCorper: 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
This govt just wasting time on frivolities.

1 Like

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Boyooosa(m): 12:23pm On Jun 21, 2023
Really?
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
oskDon:
I know the time when God will bless me is coming and when it does, I will leave this continent and never look back
Kilode? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Segzy19: 12:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
So it took Asiwaju to become the president before all these agencies know what to do ...

You see why good leaders and leadership matters.
May God help this present government to keep doing well...

God bless Nigeria
God bless all those who wish this country well...

If you this government or country failure, may you never make success in life

1 Like

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by relaxandsmile: 12:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
ijustdey:

https://www.thecable.ng/neiti-to-investigate-daily-petrol-consumption-figure/amp
For what purpose?
It would have been better when subsidy was been paid on bogus figures.
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Minjim: 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2023
This ought to have been done during the subsidy regime.

To can't get the right figure to debunk the lies of those NNPC thieves now that consumption has reduced due to high price.

I can't recall the last time I fuel my Gen.

Everyone is now cutting their use of petrol. Whatever figure you get now will not truly represent the manner people really use fuel

2 Likes

Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by bigdammyj: 12:30pm On Jun 21, 2023
Following...
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by SmartPolician: 12:33pm On Jun 21, 2023
How can Nigeria be consuming 60 - 90 million of PMS every day? This is too much!

We need to peg the population of this country so it can be easy to manage and carter for the people.

Having a bunch of unproductive people adds nothing to the economy!
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by Streetdoctor: 12:36pm On Jun 21, 2023
Ggg
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by IMASTEX: 12:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
Please don't investigate. Or better still tell us you need money, don't hide under that to eat your own cake. grin grin grin
Re: NEITI To Investigate Daily Petrol Consumption Figure by KayB: 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2023
Long overdue !! Very shameful that Nigeria with the blessed human resources therein cannot authenticate the actual petroleum production and sales of our common wealth

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wahab Dosumu Is Dead (Ex-NADECO Chieftain) / Reps Move To Abolish State, LGA Joint Account / Makinde: Why I ‘m Setting Up Anti-corruption Agency In Oyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.