Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked (2829 Views)

Muili Seun Sells Off Gocampus To Vickram Sybri, Indian Tech Guru / More Nairaland Tech Sub Communities / For Those Willing To Be Data Analyst, Machine Learning Guru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2023
Yes! You read the topic right. Why do several tech guru's here on nairaland find it difficult mentoring upcoming tech enthusiasts. No matter how hard you send them pm or mentions, they would hardly reply.
In conclusion, Nigerians find it difficult giving back to their community.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by 4KNGOATS(m): 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:
Yes! You read the topic right. Why do several tech guru's here on nairaland find it difficult mentoring upcoming tech enthusiasts. No matter how hard you send them pm or mentions, they would hardly reply.
Most people here are just bastardly selfish.fkn bull goatzz
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by WhisperedNoise: 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2023
No one owes you anything, bro.
The earlier you realize that, the better your life becomes. Take responsibility.

18 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 2:36pm On Jun 21, 2023
WhisperedNoise:
The earlier you realize that, the better your life becomes. Take responsibility.
Yes, i know no one owes anyone anything, but come to think of it, is being stingy with knowledge the best? Nigerians feels life is about competition, when they know something, they try to keep it to themselves so others won't know what they know. But the question is "to what end?"

1 Like

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 2:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
WhisperedNoise:
You taking about nobody oweing anyone anything, I hope everything you know as well as the degree(s) you possess all came to you when you slept and woke up.
Dropping hypocritical comments just to sound intelligent.
Mtcheew.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by qtguru(m): 2:48pm On Jun 21, 2023
Depends, some of us might be, and some are nice. But Youtube is there, why do you need a teacher, information is free

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by airsaylongcome: 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
Na wa! So someone who’s neck deep in tech, struggling to keep his ahead above workload and Nigeria economic neck-pressing is suddenly wicked because he doesn’t mentor some self-entitled prick? Do you guys honestly see mentorship as your right simply because you asked someone to mentor you? Do you know the mental drain it takes to mentor someone? There has to be a relationship and a good one at that for someone to them decide to escalate that relationship to a mentorship. Like someone up there said, “No one owes you shi shi”. A mentee has to show considerable level of initiative and willingness to learn to for a more experienced person to take on an unpaid role to mentor them. Many experienced people didn’t have mentors. They literally learned on their own overcoming all the odds. Make una rest with all these emotional blackmail. If because person no mentor you then that person is wicked , then yes they are wicked. How many people do you think Dangote, or Otedola or Elumelu mentored? How many people reached out to them for mentorship? Does the fact that they declined 99% of mentorship request make them wicked?

What many of you here refer to as mentorship is you looking for someone to spoonfeed you, plan your learning, follow you up and basically be a teacher for free. Well guess what? There are many free learning tools. Use them

PS: There are no tech “gurus” here on Nairaland. We are always perpetually learning. The day you acknowledge yourself as a “guru” is the day you die

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by WhisperedNoise: 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

You taking about nobody oweing anyone anything, I hope everything you know as well as the degree(s) you possess all came to you when you slept and woke up.
Dropping hypocritical comments just to sound intelligent.
Mtcheew.
Channel your frustration to whatever has irked you this afternoon. You may not speak to me in this manner. I'm not your problem(s).
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 2:58pm On Jun 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:
Na wa! So someone who’s neck deep in tech, struggling to keep his ahead above workload and Nigeria economic neck-pressing is suddenly wicked because he doesn’t mentor some self-entitled prick? Do you guys honestly see mentorship as your right simply because you asked someone to mentor you? Do you know the mental drain it takes to mentor someone? There has to be a relationship and a good one at that for someone to them decide to escalate that relationship to a mentorship. Like someone up there said, “No one owes you shi shi”. A mentee has to show considerable level of initiative and willingness to learn to for a more experienced person to take on an unpaid role to mentor them. Many experienced people didn’t have mentors. They literally learned on their own overcoming all the odds. Make una rest with all these emotional blackmail. If because person no mentor you then that person is wicked , then yes they are wicked. How many people do you think Dangote, or Otedola or Elumelu mentored? How many people reached out to them for mentorship? Does the fact that they declined 99% of mentorship request make them wicked?
If this makes you sleep well at night.
If you are sensible and not truly wicked, you would realize, that the role of a mentor is so so different from that of a teacher.
This same nairaland, someone contacted me and said he wanted me to mentor him on graphic design, I gave him my number and we talked on whatsapp. I did not spend 24hrs of my time teaching him or anything, the least I did was reply to some of his questions and within months, he was good to go.
It won't take anything from you to be nice to others. We all need help sometimes

11 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 2:59pm On Jun 21, 2023
WhisperedNoise:

Channel your frustration to whatever has irked you this afternoon. You may not speak to me in this manner. I'm not your problem(s).
Okay then.
Peace ✌
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by julybaba(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:
No matter how hard you send them pm or mentions, they would hardly reply.
They might be busy or not interested in mentoring others (for now). It is not wickedness. Everyone is the master of his/her time. If you can’t find a mentor here, please use online materials or register in a tech school. Peace

7 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by qtguru(m): 3:01pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

Okay then.
Peace ✌

But there's Youtube and free resources, how is that not enough?
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
qtguru:

But there's Youtube and free resources, how is that not enough?
Yes, there's YouTube and resources, but most times, a need to ask someone questions about one or two things may arise and that's where a mentor comes in.
Funny enough, the relationship between a mentor and a mentee is both ways, while the mentee is learning, the mentor may also be able to pick one or two things.
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 3:06pm On Jun 21, 2023
julybaba:

They might be busy or not interested in mentoring others (for now). It is not wickedness. Everyone is the master of his/her time. If you can’t find a mentor here, please use online materials or register in a tech school. Peace

Very true, some may actually be busy, but some are truly wicked. I have seen post in this section or comments where some people outrightly discourage up coming individuals interested in tech
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by qtguru(m): 3:10pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

Yes, there's YouTube and resources, but most times, a need to ask someone questions about one or two things may arise and that's where a mentor comes in.
Funny enough, the relationship between a mentor and a mentee is both ways, while the mentee is learning, the mentor may also be able to pick one or two things.

Yes but in the real world, that mentor has a life outside work, bills and even a family, should mentees be entitled to his time? it sounds like unpleasant work, which is why people pay for such in a BootCamp. Senior engineers are not going to leave their work just to mentor for the fun of it.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by airsaylongcome: 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

If you are sensible and not truly wicked, you would realize, that the role of a mentor is so so different from that of a teacher.
This same nairaland, someone contacted me and said he wanted me to mentor him on graphic design, I gave him my number and we talked on whatsapp. I did not spend 24hrs of my time teaching him or anything, the least I did was reply to some of his questions and within months, he was good to go.
It won't take anything from you to be nice to others. We all need help sometimes

Yes I am senseless and truly wicked

4 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by tosinhtml: 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

Just ask DevDevDev to mentor you, she will be a very good mentor.

6 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Yes I am senseless and truly wicked
You are neither of both boss.
Peace ✌
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by LikeAking: 5:40pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

It's not there job...

A serious dev should take is skill to another level. Mentorship will come.

They don't even need it.
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by LikeAking: 5:43pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:

Die dis talk..

Mentorship is useless, except is mentorship to run a startup, etc.

You learn coding through pain...
You get to the level were every thing fall in place.

10 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by QuantumR: 5:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
Slimdan360:
Because we are busy building awesome stuff. Be your own motivation, most of you guyz are looking for someone to teach you everything all in the name of mentoring. If the heat is much and it seems you are confuse, try another career path... No offense intended.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Slimdan360: 6:12pm On Jun 21, 2023
QuantumR:

Because we are busy building awesome stuff. Be your own motivation, most of you guyz are looking for someone to teach you everything all in the name of mentoring. If the heat is much and it seems you are confuse, try another career path... No offense intended.
Nice one at the bolded. Continue
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
Mfs are actually replying to this post

Jeez lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
Ok next?

3 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by tollyboy5(m): 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2023
tosinhtml:

grin grin grin Guy why you dey find trouble na lol.

1 Like

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by tosinhtml: 8:34pm On Jun 21, 2023
tollyboy5:

grin grin grin Guy why you dey find trouble na lol.

Trouble as how? She would actually be a very good mentor for new folks.

1 Like

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by tollyboy5(m): 9:07pm On Jun 21, 2023
I'm working on a project, and i'm tired like this. I cracking my head seriously and i need rest but my bills.. embarassed etc.
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Gordson: 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
Go and pay to learn in a coding school if you are looking for someone to teach you like 1+1

Or go start farm work... nobody send you work

1 Like

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Davidcorny: 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2023
LikeAking:

Die dis talk..

Mentorship is useless, except is mentorship to run a startup, etc.

You learn coding through pain...
You get to the level were every thing fall in place.

I sadly agree with this, I suffered before I learnt JavaScript and suffered more to learn React, not that there weren't resources but they kept being outdated and updated. The skill most important is keeping calm and not letting the stress of learning get to you.
Nobody owes you anything.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by MadarasBlade(m): 3:37am On Jun 22, 2023
tosinhtml:

You're the wicked person he is talking about. That girl will finish him grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by eepeepook: 5:14am On Jun 22, 2023
We have tech gurus here? Na him this site still remain for Stone Age?
Re: Are Nairaland Tech Guru's Truly Wicked by Gordson: 9:35am On Jun 22, 2023
eepeepook:
We have tech gurus here? Na him this site still remain for Stone Age?

No dey put mouth for matter wey no concern you.

Na them go decide what the owner want his site to look like Have sense!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs / Post Your Programming Projects Ideas Here / Design And Implementation Of A Web Based Student Academic Record Generating System.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.