Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs (2835 Views)

Other Than Linkedin Where Can I Apply For Jobs / Thread For International Remote Tech Jobs - US, UK, Canada, Germany, UAE... / Why We Should All Be Productized(how To Get Tech/creatives Paid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Bade007: 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2023
LinkedIn is hard seeing the total number of applicant before sending an application can make one weak, same with fiverr and Upwork,please how do you get gigs

1 Like

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 1:54pm On Jun 28, 2023
Freelance gig Upwork. when you apply on LinkedIn, go the company website to apply or reach out to the Talent Recruiter.

There are other job boards, but Upworks has served me well so far

10 Likes

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by airsaylongcome: 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:
Freelance gig Upwork. when you apply on LinkedIn, go the company website to apply or reach out to the Talent Recruiter.

Nothing from weworkremotely.com? I've had success from reddit. But that reddit na with sense. You have to lurk and contribute to relevant communities and bid your time. Two of us Nigerians were hired from reddit. My other two colleagues (Argentina and Latvia) na from reddit too

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Purvan(m): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2023
Personal referral works for me

Other times I search on the company career page or lurk on hacker news for jobs .
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Bade007: 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

please how did you get your first gig on Upwork,me I mainly apply for once with less than 10 followers buh don't get feedback
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Bade007: 2:12pm On Jun 28, 2023
Purvan:
Personal referral works for me

Other times I search on the company career page or lurk on hacker news for jobs .
how do you know when a company is hiring what keyword do you use when searching
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Purvan(m): 2:17pm On Jun 28, 2023
Bade007:
how do you know when a company is hiring what keyword do you use when searching

I've a list of companies I want to work not more than 20

I add the RSS of any company career page to my feed

Not all company career page has RSS

1 Like

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 4:10pm On Jun 28, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Nothing from weworkremotely.com? I've had success from reddit. But that reddit na with sense. You have to lurk and contribute to relevant communities and bid your time. Two of us Nigerians were hired from reddit. My other two colleagues (Argentina and Latvia) na from reddit too

The highest money I made from a client came from reddit, I was actually going to /r/DeadBedrooms until i saw a notification for /r/chrome_extemsions where I saw the client's post and applied and now, I've push an update to store and cleared all the previous bugs and improved performance for that extension.

Sadly I don't know how to capitalize off reddit like that. it was a thing of luck and being prepared

3 Likes

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 4:11pm On Jun 28, 2023
Bade007:
please how did you get your first gig on Upwork,me I mainly apply for once with less than 10 followers buh don't get feedback

Picking a scarce skill helps, what's your skill ?
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by airsaylongcome: 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

The highest money I made from a client came from reddit, I was actually going to /r/DeadBedrooms until i saw a notification for /r/chrome_extemsions where I saw the client's post and applied and now, I've push an update to store and cleared all the previous bugs and improved performance for that extension.

Sadly I don't know how to capitalize off reddit like that. it was a thing of luck and being prepared

Interesting. Like I said, it's not a platform that regularly advertises vacancies. But I've found out that a lot of small business owners are on many communities related to their businesses there. They may post a question about a problem that they are having there. Just being active, participating in the conversations and suggesting possible solutions gives you visibility to these owners. Most of the time when they have an opening, they just ask on the community and if you have been active, they are often open to offering the roles. I've turned down almost 4 roles from there (in my field) because the work hours clashed with my current role (I don't joke with my current role because of the level of flexibility they give)

Upwork too has been somehow good with me.

4 Likes

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by LikeAking: 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

Kindly drop the links of the other job boards.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by LikeAking: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Interesting. Like I said, it's not a platform that regularly advertises vacancies. But I've found out that a lot of small business owners are on many communities related to their businesses there. They may post a question about a problem that they are having there. Just being active, participating in the conversations and suggesting possible solutions gives you visibility to these owners. Most of the time when they have an opening, they just ask on the community and if you have been active, they are often open to offering the roles. I've turned down almost 4 roles from there (in my field) because the work hours clashed with my current role (I don't joke with my current role because of the level of flexibility they give)

Upwork too has been somehow good with me.

Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Purvan(m): 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2023
LikeAking:

Angel list
Web3 jobs
Foss jobs

1 Like

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Bade007: 11:00pm On Jun 28, 2023
qtguru:

Picking a scarce skill helps, what's your skill ?
JavaScript both front and back,like what type of scarse skill would be easy to pick up?
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 7:53am On Jun 29, 2023
LikeAking:

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by LikeAking: 8:16am On Jun 29, 2023
[quote author=qtguru post=124099115][/quote]

Thank you.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by LikeAking: 8:19am On Jun 29, 2023
Purvan:

Angel list
Web3 jobs
Foss jobs

Thank you.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 8:21am On Jun 29, 2023
LikeAking:

Thank you.

Awwww LikeAKing is becoming a good person
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by frank417: 11:27am On Jul 01, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Hello, please how do I search for these communities? Can you please give an example of the keywords you use.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by airsaylongcome: 12:32pm On Jul 01, 2023
frank417:

Hello, please how do I search for these communities? Can you please give an example of the keywords you use.

It has to be communities related to your field. I'm a VoIP Engineer so I'm in r/voip, r/FreePBX and a few other very niche such communities
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by frank417: 2:49pm On Jul 01, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It has to be communities related to your field. I'm a VoIP Engineer so I'm in r/voip, r/FreePBX and a few other very niche such communities
Great. Just joined some react/nextjs and frontend communities. Made 2 contributions so far today smiley . Na God go help person for this foreign role we dey find.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by airsaylongcome: 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2023
frank417:

Great. Just joined some react/nextjs and frontend communities. Made 2 contributions so far today smiley . Na God go help person for this foreign role we dey find.

Run am with sense. Don't dive into start asking for jobs. Give like 2 months of contributing, proposing solutions to problems posted there and just being generally visible. Some threads require a minimum karma before you can post. Me I used r/Nigeria to boost my karma. But be "careful" on that Naija sub. Dem no dey waste time permanently ban people especially if you wan dey form anti-LGBTQ

3 Likes

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by frank417: 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Run am with sense. Don't dive into start asking for jobs. Give like 2 months of contributing, proposing solutions to problems posted there and just being generally visible. Some threads require a minimum karma before you can post. Me I used r/Nigeria to boost my karma. But be "careful" on that Naija sub. Dem no dey waste time permanently ban people especially if you wan dey form anti-LGBTQ
oh thanks alot for this.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Maclink288: 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2023
Mine is mostly via referrals oh, that's why it's good to always grow your network.

Just do the following:

- Start attending tech events
- Post your works across different platforms including WhatsApp status(You don't know who is watching)
- Join communities and also contribute.

I have gotten a gig here on Nairaland though it's just one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by chukwuebuka65(m): 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2023
qtguru:

Boss cut soap for me nah, I am looking for my first gig on upwork.

1 Like

Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 7:48pm On Jul 01, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

I think i told you to join me for a call one time, anytime you're free just let me know.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Peterpan007(m): 9:02pm On Jul 01, 2023
qtguru:

I think i told you to join me for a call one time, anytime you're free just let me know.

Boss I sent you a pm. I'll appreciate it if you can reply.
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2023
Peterpan007:

Replied at 2.0 clock
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by qtguru(m): 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2023
Peterpan007:

Replied at 2.0 clock I think
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Skodrran(m): 9:58am On Jul 02, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Boss,

I get one question for you
Would love to whatsapp
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:49am On Jul 02, 2023
Skodrran:

Boss,

I get one question for you
Would love to whatsapp

send DM
Re: Other Than Linkedin, Please How Do You Get Tech Jobs by Westwood2580: 12:42pm On Jul 02, 2023
A recruiter once share me this secret about jobs in linkeldn. According to him many times you see lot of applicants on a job doesn't necessarily mean they applied for it but some of them only view the job while others navigate to apply but doesn't complete the application. According to him linkeldn will show both those who apply and those who view the job as an applicant's.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming! / My Messanger App(siomkpo) Is Live On Play Store / Computer Science Algorithm Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.