Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. (60230 Views)

Uk Dependents Visa / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! / UAE cancels Three months tourist visa for Nigerian Passport Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:56pm On Jun 21, 2023
The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Richard Montgomery, on Wednesday, explained why the UK government banned international students from bringing family members with them starting in 2024.

Specifically, by January 2024, Nigerians and other foreign nationals on study visa to the United Kingdom will no longer be able to bring in their family members, a new policy rolled out by the British Government to curb migration.

According to Montgomery, the decision is to avoid pressure on the country’s housing infrastructure and to control the inflow of migrants.

“Many more students are trying to bring their dependents with them…but it’s not always possible to find the housing and services to meet all the needs of our existing student population…we’ll have to manage our migration in and out of the UK,” Montgomery revealed shortly after he emerged from a closed-door meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The meeting comes after the new British diplomat to Nigeria submitted his letter of Credence to former President Muhammadu Buhari on May 18.

Recall that the UK Home Office had announced that International students, including Nigerians, would be stopped from switching from the student visa route to a work visa until their studies had been completed.

The decision has, however, been greeted with mixed reactions from international students, schools, and some British lawmakers, who argued that the regulation would aggravate labour shortages in critical sectors such as healthcare and threaten the country’s global standing as a top destination for international talent.

But fielding a question from State House Correspondents, the British High Commissioner explained the regulation, saying, “I think there are two issues here. The first is, it’s not always possible to find the housing and services to meet all the needs of all our existing student population.

“And second, reasonable people would accept that we have to manage our visitor numbers and we’ll have to manage our migration in and out of the UK just as the Nigerian government would do,” he added.

Montgomery disclosed that the number of Nigerian students in the UK had increased fivefold in the last three years, even as they make up 10 per cent of those granted UK visas annually.

“That issue was not raised in the meeting (with the Vice President) just now. But I would like to put the media debate about it in a broader context. Last year (2022), for example, the UK granted three million new visas, of which 325,000 were to Nigerians.

“Nigerian visitors constitute over 10 per cent of the people coming to London and the UK.

“It’s a fantastic success story for our universities. And we are really delighted that so many Nigerians are coming to the UK,”
he said.

The British High Commissioner revealed that his discussions with Shettima highlighted the current policy direction of the Bola Tinubu administration, which, he said, is being warmly received by UK investors.

“As I discussed with His Excellency, the big economic decisions being taken by this government are really important and are being noticed around the world: the removal of subsidy, the exchange rate reform, all of that create a much better investment environment.

“I was in London last week; I was briefing my ministers, but I was also talking to british business in finance, banking and investment sectors. They are all responding very positively to these first decisions,”
Montgomery stated.

He further said their discussions also featured areas of assistance by the British government to cushion the effects of the discontinuance of petroleum subsidy, which has spelt “tough times,” for Nigerians.

“We know that there are tough times going on at the moment, inflation and unemployment.

“The vice president and I also touched on some of the measures that might be possible to cushion the blow of some of these economic pressures.

“But I think the big issue is that these reforms help put Nigeria on a higher growth path; they will attract more investments and the United Kingdom and the city of London see Nigeria as a big opportunity going forward. I will be doing my part to try to boost those, enhance trade and investment,”
he said.

DAILY POST

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by helinues: 6:58pm On Jun 21, 2023
Walahi no be lie, like 2 friends enter UK with student dependency.

If Nigeria and our tertiary are up to the standard, why would Nigerians be studying in abroad when the reverse should have been the case

81 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by loosecanon50(m): 7:15pm On Jun 21, 2023
Their claim is justified. If not for how poor our institutions of learning are plus bad govt policies, what is one going to look for in UK or other countries?

135 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 21, 2023
Nigerian government should take a cue, pay them back tit for tat, do what benefits us, stop being big brother or Mr nice guy. Let's pay the British in its own coin.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Zupay: 7:23pm On Jun 21, 2023
This September/October UK school resumption, is the "last bus" for those coming with dependants.

A friend of mine who came as dependant showed me a WhatsApp group he belonged to, it has over 450 members.... all former staff of a particular commercial bank in Nigeria, who all don japa come UK as students or dependants.

What got me laughing was how they introduce themselves when they newly joined the group....I am (name), (branch), (last position held), (UK town or city presently in).....I don show, make una show me the way!😆😆😆😆

293 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Zupay: 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
JDistribute:
Nigerian government should take a cue, pay them back tit for tat, do what benefits us, stop being big brother or Mr nice guy. Let's pay the British in its own coin.

How?🤔

14 Likes

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by inoki247: 7:25pm On Jun 21, 2023
Una problem if u like Ban ursef join ..

Nothing is so Special Abt the UK sef people be burning Over 10,000 pounds for modern slavery...

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by jmoore(m): 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
JDistribute:
You guys are funny. How many white men reside in your street?
How many white men are studying in your government universities?

You want your Misleaders that have failed to make your country work to 'punish' UK?

125 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by press9jatv: 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2023
Nawaoooo
Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 21, 2023
jmoore:

You guys are funny. How many white men reside in your street?
How many white men are studying in your government universities?

You want your Misleaders that have failed to make your country work to 'punish' UK?
What's your point?
You didn't make any.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by 2mch(m): 9:09pm On Jun 21, 2023
Nigeria immigration must reciprocate the same.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by RingRoadMafia: 10:00pm On Jun 21, 2023

1 Like

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Acic: 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
Nigeria's always abuse everything

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Built2last: 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
Ok
Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by ShenTeh(m): 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
If you understand public diplomacy, you would understand that this is soft power principles at play.

The UK would make laws that favours it in the long run and then send her emissaries to wash it over with appealling rhetorics.

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by tobenuel(m): 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
Philippines, south Korea and Switzerland dey my mind for msc

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Raskimonojendor: 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
The UK and many other developed countries are suffering from housing issues.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by teadrake(m): 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
Zupay:
This September/October UK school resumption, is the "last bus" for those coming with dependants.

A friend of mine who came as dependant showed me a WhatsApp group he belonged to, it has over 450 members.... all former staff of a particular commercial bank in Nigeria, who all don japa come UK as students or dependants.

What got me laughing was how they introduce themselves when they newly joined the group....I am (name), (branch), (last position held), (UK town or city presently in).....I don show, make una show me the way!😆😆😆😆
He don red

2 Likes

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Jaraload: 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
Many Nigerians got visa last year to japa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Realestatevixen: 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
Finally
Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:

DAILY POST

Las las, e don Cast,!

9ja jus 10% ? Na d 10% made noise pass idan-cast
No wonder pastor no play with 10% , TITHE LOUD O

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by Ppogbae: 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2023
The rationale is fair. The same issue exists in Canada where they're bringing in millions of immigrants yet no housing or well paying jobs.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. by jchioma: 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2023
The reasons explained here are quite plausible. Every society seeks to align with the economic developments of present reality. The difference is that in a sane society, the needs of the people are top priority. Every other consideration is secondary. People first!

18 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Okada Man Overtaking A Tanker Involved In Accident In Lagos,1 Killed (Graphic Pi / 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year / Lockdown: Warri In Pictures Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.