Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya (37753 Views)

Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Defence Staff General Lucky Irabor / Profile Of Major-General Farouk Yahaya (Chief Of Army Staff) / Chief Of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai Visits Oba Of Benin (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by naptu2: 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2023
naptu2:
This is the pulling out parade of Lieutenant General Ishaya Bamaiyi.

President Olusegun Obasanjo retired all the service chiefs after the return to democracy in 1999. He appointed Lieutenant General Victor Malu as General Bamaiyi's successor.

General Ishaya Bamaiyi served as chief of army staff from 1996 till 1999. He first came to prominence when he was the commander of 9th Brigade at Ikeja Cantonment. He was able to gain control of the Armour Transit shed at the cantonment during the 1990 and he led the armoured column that came to Lagos Island and took back control of Dodan Barracks and Radio Nigeria. His action basically ended the coup. He was subsequently appointed as the new commander of the Brigade of Guards and he served in this position from 1990 till 1992.

They played all the usual songs during this parade. They played Nike Nike, Iya Ni Wura, that Hausa song whose name I can't remember, Auld Lang Syne, that English song whose name I cannot remember and God Be With You Till we meet again.

General Victor Malu led the pulling out procession from Bonny Camp to Army Officers Mess, Marina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nwEbocWGxA

1 Like

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by naptu2: 6:43pm On Jun 25, 2023
naptu2:
President Olusegun Obasanjo has always been close to the Americans. In fact, all the three visits to Nigeria by American presidents (Carter, Clinton and Bush) have occurred when he was head of state.

President Obasanjo asked the Americans to retrain the Nigerian Military when he became president in 1999. He also asked for a range of assistance from the Americans (it was that request that led the Americans to give Nigeria several warships including two Coast Guard cutters, NNS Thunder and NNS Okpabana).

As part of the process, the Americans asked the Nigerian Army for its order of battle. The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Victor Malu refused. He was shocked at the request. How can you reveal your order of battle to a foreign country? He felt that it was unpatriotic and he warned President Obasanjo that the Americans were only after their own interests and not the interest of Nigeria. President Obasanjo immediately retired General Malu.

The military cooperation agreement was signed after General Malu was removed from office. Lieutenant General Alexander Ogomudia was appointed as his replacement.

This is General Malu's pulling out parade. They followed the usual route. The parade was held at Bonny Camp and then General Malu was "pulled" to Army Officers Mess at Marina for the reception.

You can see Lieutenant General Salihu Ibrahim among the guests (in white agbada). General Ibrahim is one of the most professional chiefs of army staff that we've ever had. He was chief of army staff from 1990 till 1993. It was during his tenure that Flag Staff House was moved to Marina.

Flag Staff House was initially at Marina, but it was moved to 1 Glover Road, Ikoyi just before Independence. Ironsi, Gowon, Akahan, Katsina, Ejoor, Danjuma, Akinrinade, Jalo, Wushishi, Babangida and Abacha all lived at 1 Glover Road. However, there was a problem.

A DMI operative had previously told me (sometime around 1989) that Abacha would never leave 1, Glover Road. He said that Abacha had contracted a Senegalese marabout and that they had buried a cow that was dressed in a general's uniform at 1 Glover Road. He said that the marabout had said that nobody would be able to remove Abacha as long as the cow was buried there. An SSS operative would later tell me the same story in 1993, after Abacha had become head of state (he continued to stay at Glover Road for some time after he became head of state).

Abacha was made the minister of defence and Salihu was made the chief of army staff, but Abacha refused to leave Flag Staff House. Salihu Ibrahim complained to President Babangida and Babangida converted that house beside Lagos House Marina into Flag Staff House and then converted 1, Glover Road into Defence House.

General Ogomudia led the pulling out pocession. This parade was held in 2001.

General Victor Malu had previously served as the force commander of Ecomog in Liberia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSvzDamym5s

1 Like

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by naptu2: 6:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
naptu2:

Someone wrote that he had once accompanied the chief of Naval Staff on his boat from Queen's Drive to Apapa in the 1970s. Then, sometime in the early 2000s, he was to go with the chief of Naval Staff from Queen's Drive to Apapa and to his surprise they were to go in a motorcade. He was disappointed. "Why should the chief of Naval Staff go to Apapa by road?" he asked.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that the boat is back. You can see it at the 1:11 minute mark in this video. It is marked NN 01. This is the pulling out ceremony for the former chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dk5cPkSA6s

That boat is anchored at the jetty that is directly opposite the gate in the picture below.

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by 9jaRealist: 8:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
Offpointng:
Military Generals from GOCs to Chief of Army staff and finally CDS all have military guards who dresses in suits, they're usually military intelligence folks

Even weirder if they are “intelligence” folks pulling bodyguard duties…
Does it mean Nigerians don’t understand the definition of military INTELLIGENCE?! grin grin
>
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by tolor: 12:03am On Jun 26, 2023
[quote author=naptu2 post=124031394][/quote] Oga Naptu2 greetings. I noticed recently the beret has somehow made a comeback. From the president's adc to the new Army COS. I always felt the ceremonial cap was somehow abused. Imagine Presido is going to buka, ADC go dress like say na inauguration him dey go. Also, the beret on their ceremonial attire is quite cool. It kind of reminds me of the Babangida/Abacha years.

Secondly I've read the story of the buried cow in glover House before, courtsey of you. I've always wondered what happened after. Do you think it was excavated maybe after Abacha left? Imagine the type of manure it will provide in that place. How come, President Babangida didn't do anything on hearing that. Was Abacha that powerful as CDS? Thanks in advance for all you do Sir.✌
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by 9jaRealist: 1:35am On Jun 26, 2023
>
https://www.nairaland.com/822196/it-begins-me/701#124026297

MODERATORS

Please compel @naptu2 to QUIT contacting/responding/mentioning me by NON-PUBLIC communications outside of this PUBLIC forum, including via his personal diaries. I have absolutely NO INTEREST in communications with anyone outside of this PUBLIC forum and in a PUBLIC manner. Participation in a PUBLIC forum, and making PUBLIC statements therein, by definition invites only PUBLIC comments/responses.

@naptu2 already has SEVERAL accounts on this PUBLIC forum (there were at least THREE DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS and aliases as at last count), and should feel free to use any one of his myriad accounts to PUBLICLY respond to PUBLIC comments that I make on this PUBLIC discussion forum. If he is looking for more, while I respect everyone’s sexuality I am however a straight male not interested in him. Thanks.

>
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by 9jaRealist: 2:23am On Jun 26, 2023
Offpointng:
Military Generals from GOCs to Chief of Army staff and finally CDS all have military guards who dresses in suits, they're usually military intelligence folks

Interesting how I responded to @Offpointng…
And @naptu2 commented it was a response to him (see below)
grin

That’s at least his FOURTH DIFFERENT ACCOUNT on Nairaland. grin grin
>

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by Vello(m): 2:29am On Jun 26, 2023
naptu2:
This video from the NTA gives you a better view of the actual pulling out ceremony. The band is playing Osibisa's Woyaya.

https://twitter.com/NTANewsNow/status/1672617267954057217
Thats not WOYAYA. I forgot the name of the tune but definitely not Osibisa's WOYAYA
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by 9jaRealist: 3:42am On Jun 26, 2023
9jaRealist:
>
Nigeria is a funny nation…
Why is the DSS guarding a military general?
>

But then again, it’s the same funny-assed nation…
Where DSS personnel was turned into a SHOE SHINER for a Minister. grin grin grin

(of course, multi-personality weirdos will argue it’s the same in UK, US and Germany tongue).
>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMiMcQ9vE7A&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fsaharareporters.com%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by Kazeem47(m): 4:47am On Jun 26, 2023
2times2:
why females no de reach general rank?
They do,but very few of them.Not only in Nigeria but worldwide.I think few of them were able to meet the criteria to attain Generalship.Like inability to participate on courses that are very physically and mentally demanding which are needed for promotion.

1 Like

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by naptu2: 5:10am On Jun 26, 2023
2times2:
why females no de reach general rank?

1) Power couple, Brigadier General Cecilia U. Akagu and Brigadier Gen. Clifford B. Wanda (they are married).

2 and 3) Major General T.A. Amusu

4) Major General Aderonke Kale (the first woman to become a major general in the Nigerian Army)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by tolor: 5:14am On Jun 26, 2023
@Naptu2, thanks for your reply as always.🙌

Wow!! Abacha was "badder" than I thought: in fact, the "baddest". Only God or some higher powers could have taken him out..
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by grandlexuz(m): 8:07am On Jun 26, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool All these frivolous parades make no sense. They should focus on doing their jobs.

The parade is a part of their job
Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by tolor: 4:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
@Naptu2 If the guy on black suit is who I think he is then it does invalidate that guys talk of serving military officers providing guards duties on suit.

Re: Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya by deebrain(m): 10:24am On Jun 27, 2023
Love the Army

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abducted Rann Nurse Becomes Boko Haram Member, Sends Warning Whatsapp Message / Buhari Signs New Minimum Wage Bill / Festus Keyamo Reacts To Labour Party’s N25M Governorship Forms For Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.