Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? (5631 Views)

AEUSA: Portable Wins First International Music Award / 5 Biggest Nigerian-International Music Collaborations Of All-Time / 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Obaaderemi2: 2:11pm On Jun 25, 2023
This was copied. How true is this?

CHUKWUMANDIOGULUOFFICIAL
I hope you will read this post without tagging me a jealous person. I am an Igbo man before becoming a Nigerian. I wouldn't be happy if Igbo people are not doing well in a field where other Nigerians are doing well.

I have watched BurnaBoy performed at the famous Cochella. I have watched Kiss Daniel performed at the famous world cup and Davido at world too. Wizkid has performed at famous NBA final. Tiwa Savage performed at the coronation of the king of England. Please where are my Igbo music artists?

P-square seems to be the most famous Igbo music artists then and now but I can't remember any world event where they were invited to perform. They are still local champion together with all the Igbo music stars. The only extra ordinary achievement they have recorded in their career is hosting concerts overseas but for them to be booked to perform in an A-list World event seems to be beyond their level. What is happening?

Can anybody prove to me that Burnaboy, Davido and Kiss Daniel sings better than P-square? Do you know that P-square has more of their songs recorded in English than Burnaboy? Davido performed at CNN Juneteenth few days ago and the vice president of the United States of America was there vibing to his Afro beat songs. Can you say that Davido has better songs and better voice than Flavor N'Abania? Why hasn't Flavor gone beyond his current level?

Can we say that the talent managers and the PR company managing Davido , Kiss Daniel and Burnaboy are more internationally rooted than the ones managing P-square, Flavor and Tekno? What are those things Burnaboy, Davido and Kiss Daniel are doing well that P-square, Flavor and Tekno are not doing well?

Europeans and americans seems to have discovered a new world of music in afro music. Non of the American Rappers are doing better than Burnaboy, Davido and Rehma currently. It seems Americans are now tired of listening to abusive rap music from the Black Americans hence their drift towards Afro music which Burnaboy, Davido and Rehma are never in short supply. They are dropping world hits every now and then. Unfortunately, my Igbo brothers who are into Afro music are nowhere to be found.

Back home, Kola boy and KC are dragging who is the real owner of Ojapiano, while their mates are doing extremely well in international level.

Please, where are our Igbo Afro beat musicians getting it wrong?

https://www.facebook.com/100088410076086/posts/pfbid02uEmgZDRFPEB5bto8H2AafJbwFBj3M8XLkJf4GQ83xFZjPSA1fdVu147tut98LUPbl/?app=fbl

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by RockHard: 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2023
I think there's some kind of swag or something extra that Yoruba language adds to music content that might be difficult to replicate. Take Asake for example. He sings in Yoruba just same way Flavour sings in ibo language, but Asake's brand is more appealing internationally coz of that Yoruba swag. Maybe Flavour should start adding Yoruba to his music so he can also enjoy some of that crossover appeal. Just saying. undecided

49 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by EcoNews: 2:23pm On Jun 25, 2023
You are wicked
So you want many Jews to head to the guillotine on their own for not just reason

RockHard:
I think there's some kind of swag or something extra that Yoruba language adds to music content that might be difficult to replicate. Take Asake for example. He sings in Yoruba just same way Flavor sings in ibo language, but Asake's brand is more appealing internationally coz of that Yoruba swag. Maybe Flavor should start adding Yoruba to his music so he can also enjoy some of that crossover appeal. Just saying. undecided

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by TERMlNATOR(m): 2:26pm On Jun 25, 2023
Mtcheeew

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by respect80(m): 2:36pm On Jun 25, 2023
Anything to stir up tribal jabs.
Shame on you!

Obaaderemi2:
Shame on you too. It was written by an igboman who was displaying his frustration.
Does it really matter if it was written by an igbo, yoruba or idoma man?
Enough damage has been done to our unity as a result of this tribal jabs being thrown against each other online. Any sensible human should discourage whatever is capable of igniting such

21 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by thesolutions(m): 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2023
Following trend is the problem of most artist from the eastern region. Afro beat is not an Igbo tune so they can never vibe well in it.
The Igbo music has a faster pace than the afro beat and if they want to play afro beat, they have to step the pace but if they do this, it might not be considered afro beat. So they need to do what they are known for.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by chidiokay: 2:43pm On Jun 25, 2023
polarization taken tew far, outsiders/white see us as Africans or Nigerians ... all that ethnicity bullshit we do ends and stay with us.

We segregate ourselves but the WIN belongs to us all, the outside refers to Davido, wizkid, burna boy or Rema as Nigerians ...
When super eagles play, regardless of the tribe of the goalscorer we all jubilate as one.

That tribal nonsense should be left in politics section

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by nepapole(m): 2:59pm On Jun 25, 2023
Na tribalism go kill una for this country

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by mightyhaze: 3:00pm On Jun 25, 2023
Obu iwu?

Out of 250 tribes..it's always Igbo this Igbo that.. is it a must for igbos to sing at coronation? Why bother about what they do or don't do? Have u bothered why in a country where they are by far the largest in population they don't hold meaningful positions despite their grit , sound education and resourcefulness??

Mind your business,..

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by kettykin: 3:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
I thought ckay , sinach were igbos

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by oilyngbati(m): 3:22pm On Jun 25, 2023
Hate is what has destroyed Ndigbo as of late. Nobody wants a toxic person around them and since the advent of hunchback bingo, namadi cownu and his brainless Ipob cannibals, Ndigbo have sunk low.
Even the animal, Flavour that I used to like praised hunchback namadi cownu and since then, I stopped listening to anything Igbo

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Dafresh: 3:30pm On Jun 25, 2023
RockHard:
I think there's some kind of swag or something extra that Yoruba language adds to music content that might be difficult to replicate. Take Asake for example. He sings in Yoruba just same way Flavor sings in ibo language, but Asake's brand is more appealing internationally coz of that Yoruba swag. Maybe Flavor should start adding Yoruba to his music so he can also enjoy some of that crossover appeal. Just saying. undecided
Don't ever compare Asake to Flavour dem no be mate in every accept

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by richidinho(m): 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2023
They can't excel in everything brother, for example,

You are famous in music, Igbos are famous in football

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Abagworo(m): 3:39pm On Jun 25, 2023
kettykin:
I thought ckay , sinach were igbos

Victony, Tempo, Crayon, Rema, Poco Lee, Soft, Korra Obidi, Blaqbonez, Odumodubl^ck, Omah Lay, Nonso Amadi, Chike and a whole lot are Igbos

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by omenka(m): 3:41pm On Jun 25, 2023
Igbos have areas they excell in. The average Igbo man is more adept at business than the average Yoruba man or any other Nigerian people for that matter.

In addition, Igbos as per music, do alot better than other tribes when it comes to gospel music. Even listening to one right now.👌

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by omenka(m): 3:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
RockHard:
Exactly!! Yoruba language has an edge over other languages whe it comes to entertainment, such than non Yorubas even use Yoruba language in their lyrics.

Most street slangs we have today are derivatives of Yoruba language. This one gives them an edge.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by BentizilL: 3:46pm On Jun 25, 2023
Abagworo:

Victony, Tempo, Crayon, Rema, Poco Lee, Soft, Korra Obidi, Blaqbonez, Odumodubl^ck, Omah Lay, Nonso Amadi, Chike and a whole lot are Igbos
How's Rema and Omah Lay Igbo??

The rest are inconsequential. 💯

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Dafresh: 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2023
chidiokay:
polarization taken tew far, outsiders/white see us as Africans or Nigerians ... all that ethnicity bullshit we do ends and stay with us.

We segregate ourselves but the WIN belongs to us all, the outside refers to Davido, wizkid, burna boy or Rema as Nigerians ...
When super eagles play, regardless of the tribe of the goalscorer we all jubilate as one.

That tribal nonsense should be left in politics section
It's not true because most of the hit songs sang by the artist listed by OP the producers are always Igbo. The major reason is because Igbos don't like helping each other in music industry, Yorubas help more of their people YBNL boss has help whole lots of artist and even YBNL how many Igbos are on the label? but Marvin's Don Baba Jay keep helping others that are not even his tribe men. I was expecting Phyno to help Tidinz and Quincy but he didn't, Flavour and Zoro, Mr Raw dem no de bring out boys. I can remember the day I met Zoro as an upcoming I came prepared as a traditional cultural dancer I cam with my troop we were stunting we performed real live stunt from the stage somersaulting left and right I wanted to get his attention but he ended up looking at me like he saw the devil

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by naptu2: 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2023
When people want to spin such nonsense they deliberately omit certain things in order to deceive people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjIXEquPJQ

https://twitter.com/AfricaFactsZone/status/1535188769053323265?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBuopVQcL_I

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Kenneth4u205(m): 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2023
Op you are wrong.yoruba are best in worldly music while Igbos are best in Christian music.igbo songs are popular all over the world in churches and Christian gathering.even my Zulu friends here in south Africa can sing some Igbo Christian songs..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Abagworo(m): 4:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
BentizilL:

Ckay and Victony are some of the biggest stars on earth today. Rema is Delta Igbo while Omah Lay is Ikwerre. The biggest songs in Nigerian history are "Calm Down" and "Love Nwantiti".

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Finestgurlie(f): 4:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
omenka:
Igbos have areas they excell in. The average Igbo man is more adept at business than the average Yoruba man or any other Nigerian people for that matter.

In addition, Igbos as per music, do alot better than other tribes when it comes to gospel music. Even listening to one right now.👌
ahhhhh omenka my beautiful husband so you listen to gospel music 😳😳😳
there's hope for mankind afterall

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by naptu2: 4:09pm On Jun 25, 2023

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by helinues: 4:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
grin angry

Chai, imagine how inferiority complex is doing some people shaka shaka

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Alfryd: 4:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
Abagworo:

Ckay and Victony are some of the biggest stars on earth today. Rema is Delta Igbo while Omah Lay is Ikwerre. The biggest songs in Nigerian history are "Calm Down" and "Love Nwantiti".
Rema na Edo boi

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by N3TRAL: 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2023
Abagworo:

Rema is Edo. Fully Edo boy. His father was an Edo politician who was assassinated. His mother is also from Edo State. He was born in Edo State.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by bentenny(m): 4:20pm On Jun 25, 2023
This is totally unnecessary!
When I listen to a naija music I don't start asking which tribe the guy or lady comes from!
When the world sees other artistes,its from the lens of Nigeria and not from tribe!
That's why when drug peddlers are caught, the perpetrators are not tagged by their tribe but by their country!
Everyone get the time e go shine and when it happens,the world sees them as Africans and most importantly Nigerians!
Indeed ethnicity and religion have really brought us down!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Tizmamoney: 4:29pm On Jun 25, 2023
N3TRAL:

Rema is Edo. Fully Edo boy. His father was an Edo politician who was assassinated. His mother is also from Edo State. He was born in Edo State.
na so dem dey steal people

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by kettykin: 4:42pm On Jun 25, 2023
The most streamed music from Nigeria both gospel and secular music are all from igbo musicians . I am still wondering what this thread is meant to achieve, Ckay's love nwantinti is the most streamed secular music while sinach way maker is the most streamed gospel music in the world .

Sinach, best known for her hit single Way Maker with +171 million views on YouTube, is the first singer-songwriter to top the Billboard Christian Songwriter chart for 12 consecutive weeks. With over two billion watch time and more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, Sinach is the most streamed gospel artiste from Africa.
''

The full list including the number of streams, and country of the artiste are:

1: Ckay 1.1b (Nigeria)
2: Wizkid 576m (Nigeria)
3: Diamond Platinumz 452m (Tanzania)
4: Burna Boy 413m (Nigeria)
5: Davido 367m (Nigeria)
6: Fally Ipupa 331m (Congo)
7: Rayvanny 266m (Tanzania)
8: Fire Boy 247m (Nigeria)
9: Omah Lay 209m (Nigeria)
10: Flavour 211m (Nigeria)

Lesson learnt here , igbos have more worth and are appreciated more by the world than they are appreciated in Nigeria.

we have not finished celebrating the igbo girl that went to a chinese university and beat chinese in their Mandarin Language by coming out the best student in the university , now we have this topic coming up

Igbos still hold the ace in the Class room, Board Room and in the Studio room

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Felabrity: 4:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
Music is not their thing

Same thing as the hausas

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ba7man(m): 4:55pm On Jun 25, 2023
BentizilL:

Ahhhh don't you ever disrespect Victony!!!! angry

P-Square dare not go international because all the American musicians they've stolen their songs in the past will finally hear them and they'll be in trouble. grin grin grin

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Eddysilver(m): 4:59pm On Jun 25, 2023
Hmmmmm. Well I don't know alot but I know this much.
There was a time when Igbo artists and their music ruled but they themselves (Igbo artists ), were unable to stand the test of time. By now who wants to be singing 'kporokotom kpom kpom' but back then, this flavour song, for those of you who know the name (Cause I never knew the name) was a party banger. So were the likes of P Square's Alinco (if that's the name) and others. But time changed all that.
You want to know how people like Olamide, Davido, Burna Boy, Wizkid have been able to remain on top and relevant all these years. It's simple, they upgraded their skill set. Take a listen to Davido's 'Dami Duro' and compare it with 'Unavaible' from the his recent album 'Timeless' the difference is clear. It's still the same artiste but he upgraded. Or is it someone like Burna Boy, Wizkid just name any prominent Nigerian artiste today that has been around for a long time in the music industry, there is a big difference between their old songs and their recent ones. It is all about being up to date with music demand. Like I don't think we will ever get tired of the amapiano genre. But there are still artists not into amapiano that are still very successful with their own music. There's Rema, Ckay, Omah Lay amongst others. The Igbo artists you mentioned when last dem release song talkless of say dem give us the vibe we are looking for. Kcee release 'Ojapiano', Kolaboy don release 'Kolapiano vol. 1 and 2', Okay. When last did we get a song from flavor or even P Square while other artists are busy bombarding the music market with masterpieces. I myself has been a huge fan of rema since 'Ginger Me' but when I heard 'Sungba' by Asake back in 2021 I loved it. I later discovered he had a song (lady) back in 2016 but had not had a breakthrough ever since. What does that show, Improvement. Now overseas dem chop am like soya, everybody don turn disciple.
Long story short, as Davido release, Wizkid go release and so will kizz Daniel, Burna Boy and so will many other YOURBA MUSICIANS but how many IGBO MUSICIANS release song wey don blow your mind this season. Kcee and Kolaboy both release their own piano (we sef wan release my own: Eddipiano grin ) but na Kcee's ojapiano blow, Ckay gave us 'Nwayi' and did 'Hallelujah' with Blaqbonezmake another Igbo artist release song wey make sense we nor see. Meanwhile Olamide and Asake gave us Amapiano and New Religion with the latter releasing an album shortly after, Davido's Timeless album was already out way before, Burna Boy with sitting on top of the world, Kizz Daniel with shuperu, bella shmurda release song, Seyi Vibez nor dey let one song blow finish him go release another one (Song Release Machine grin ) Where are the Igbo Musicians?
Peace cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Terry G & Reminisce – B.L.O.O.D / Names of Nigerian Record Labels / DOWNLOAD MUSIC: Naira Marley – Issa Goal Ft. Olamide & Lil Kesh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.