Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,597 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? (5636 Views)

AEUSA: Portable Wins First International Music Award / 5 Biggest Nigerian-International Music Collaborations Of All-Time / 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:08am On Jun 26, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ChiefJusticeFuc: 12:10am On Jun 26, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:
Can anyone claim Patoranking hasn't gone global?

NO KISSING BABE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-GeoXlEBg

CONFAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6anPLRv6g

SUH DIFFERENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOHZ9QhI9M

He's from Rivers .

Stop claiming what isn't yours.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:17am On Jun 26, 2023
ChiefJusticeFuc:

He's from Rivers .

You wanna stick with that assertion? By the way, i'm from Rivers too....a proud Igbo still!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Ebi2233: 12:49am On Jun 26, 2023
Igboid:

Yes.
Ijaw is a language. It's called Izon and it has related languages we call Ijoid language like Kalabari, Okirika Biseni, Nembe languages.

But Abua-Odual is not an Ijaw or Ijoid language.
You notice this easily once you look at the numbers from 1-10 in Abua and Ijaw/Ijoid Languages.
They have no single link! Not one similarity.
So how is Abua/Odual Ijaw?

Just keep quiet.
You know nothing.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 1:40am On Jun 26, 2023
ChiefJusticeFuc:

He's from Rivers .

Patoranking is from Ebonyi state.
Ezigbote Nwafor Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:42am On Jun 26, 2023
Abagworo:

Victony, Tempo, Crayon, Rema, Poco Lee, Soft, Korra Obidi, Blaqbonez, Odumodubl^ck, Omah Lay, Nonso Amadi, Chike and a whole lot are Igbos

Rema is Edo. Oh, I forgot Edo is Biafra. So, you're right.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:45am On Jun 26, 2023
N3TRAL:

Rema is Edo. Fully Edo boy. His father was an Edo politician who was assassinated. His mother is also from Edo State. He was born in Edo State.

True but Edos are Biafrans so its basically same people.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:49am On Jun 26, 2023
Yorubas language is the MVP of Nigerian popular music. If you know how to use the language smartly, you WILL blow internationally.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ChiefJusticeFuc: 1:51am On Jun 26, 2023
DodadaKoKigbe:

True but Edos are Biafrans so its basically same people.

You are mad
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:52am On Jun 26, 2023
sageb:

Rema is Bini in Edo state
Omah lay is Ogba in Rivers State
Korra Obidi is Enuani in Delta state.

Bini/Edo, Rivers and Delta are ALL Biafra so not much difference.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Ndipe(m): 1:52am On Jun 26, 2023
Tribalism. Outside Nigeria, nobody cares if Burna Boy or Wizkid are Yorubas or not. They are all lumped together as Nigerian. The writer is only trying to promote Tribalism and segregation.

RockHard:
I think there's some kind of swag or something extra that Yoruba language adds to music content that might be difficult to replicate. Take Asake for example. He sings in Yoruba just same way Flavour sings in ibo language, but Asake's brand is more appealing internationally coz of that Yoruba swag. Maybe Flavour should start adding Yoruba to his music so he can also enjoy some of that crossover appeal. Just saying. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by DodadaKoKigbe: 1:57am On Jun 26, 2023
ChiefJusticeFuc:
my father is mad

You don meant it!
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by mancoconut: 2:09am On Jun 26, 2023
Yoruba language due to the Lagos commercial influence has a strong foundation in Afrobeats, that's why it's easier for a mid Yoruba artiste who releases an "okay" song to easily get more attention than his counterpart in the East or South South who drops a hotter tune

Of course that's not taking anything away from the Yoruba language which is undeniably beautiful, which makes it the official language of anything music/art in Nigeria. But the Igbo language is equally soothing and beautiful especially when we use it in our highlife music. The likes of Flavor Nabania, Phyno, Zoro, Ckay (love Nwan-titi),Tekno used Igbo language to become heavy hitters in the music industry...the others like Victony, Crayon, Poco Lee, Rexxie etc used Yoruba cause that's they were born or raised in the SW and had to capitalize on the Yoruba language brand to sell their art.

Yorubas dominate Afrobeats
Igbos dominate the gospel music aspect, Sinachs "waymaker" album alone has sold more top charting copies worldwide than majority of your mainstream Afrobeats songs.

Lastly the South South boys are fast catching up and might overtake the Yorubas soon in Afrobeats, Rema and Burnaboy are currently leading the pack so far.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by plaindealer: 2:32am On Jun 26, 2023
kettykin:
The most streamed music from Nigeria both gospel and secular music are all from igbo musicians . I am still wondering what this thread is meant to achieve, Ckay's love nwantinti is the most streamed secular music while sinach way maker is the most streamed gospel music in the world .

''

The full list including the number of streams, and country of the artiste are:

1: Ckay 1.1b (Nigeria)
2: Wizkid 576m (Nigeria)
3: Diamond Platinumz 452m (Tanzania)
4: Burna Boy 413m (Nigeria)
5: Davido 367m (Nigeria)
6: Fally Ipupa 331m (Congo)
7: Rayvanny 266m (Tanzania)
8: Fire Boy 247m (Nigeria)
9: Omah Lay 209m (Nigeria)
10: Flavour 211m (Nigeria)

Lesson learnt here , igbos have more worth and are appreciated more by the world than they are appreciated in Nigeria.

we have not finished celebrating the igbo girl that went to a chinese university and beat chinese in their Mandarin Language by coming out the best student in the university , now we have this topic coming up

Igbos still hold the ace in the Class room, Board Room and in the Studio room

This one go copy yuoutube strrem list from alimoshoco.m.

We are talking about globally recognized artists and this one is talking about youtube streams ..

Global stars like Burna, Wizkid are selling out stadiums, collecting Grammys, and this one too dey sharp mouth with unknown singers collecting streams on youtube with just one song.

There's no money in streams because you only get pennies, the real money is in concerts and the folks collecting millions of dollars from concerts are Burna, Wiz, Asake, Davido, FBDML, Omah Lay and even Ruger.

Who is Ckay the youtube streamer?

Seriously, the love wantiti doesn't move me in terms of content and artistic skills, it's just emotional and sentimental, but I jamm Ojapiona all the time.

The richest artist in Africa is Mr Eazi aka Oluwatosin Ajibade, not youtube CK.

Who are the main folks helping and backing CKAY? Yoruba artist, Olamide and Davido.

Below is when CKAY begged Olamide for verse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by BentizilL: 6:51am On Jun 26, 2023
Igboid:

Go and rest.
There are people from Ikwerre and all these Igbo speaking areas in SS who proudly identify as Igbo.
But Igbo haters like you rather focus on the loud minority chanting they are not Igbo out of political considerations from those places.

Uche Okwukwu was once APC chairman in Rivers, he is an Ikwerre man, yet proudly Igbo.
But people like you are not interested in that.

You should mind your business when you are neither Igbo nor Ikwerre.
Igbo vs Ikwerre matter nah family matter.
We will use pokenosing Igbophobic outsiders like you to settle our issue in the end. Stay clear!
Stop land grabbing okoro, ikwere are not Igbo and will never be Igbo...
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Tukpa8: 7:32am On Jun 26, 2023
Igboid:

Yes.
Ijaw is a language. It's called Izon and it has related languages we call Ijoid language like Kalabari, Okirika Biseni, Nembe languages.

You notice this easily once you look at the numbers from 1-10 in Abua and Ijaw/Ijoid Languages.
you are indirectly writing about igbo... I keep asking you Igbos why ebonyi people speaking different language with Igbo?
I keep asking you why ebonyi people saying they are not igbos?
I keep asking why ebonyi people are been regard as osu people by the igbos?
Why is the Nsukka people speak different language from igbo? Though insukka language can be igboid but ebonyi language has no resemblance with igbo language.
ebonyi language even sound more like benue languages.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Obaaderemi2: 7:38am On Jun 26, 2023
Ndipe:
Tribalism. Outside Nigeria, nobody cares if Burna Boy or Wizkid are Yorubas or not. They are all lumped together as Nigerian. The writer is only trying to promote Tribalism and segregation.

The writer is igbo.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by unitysheart(m): 8:29am On Jun 26, 2023
Abagworo:

Victony, Tempo, Crayon, Rema, Poco Lee, Soft, Korra Obidi, Blaqbonez, Odumodubl^ck, Omah Lay, Nonso Amadi, Chike and a whole lot are Igbos

Rema is from Edo State, I think.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 10:37am On Jun 26, 2023
Tukpa8:
you are indirectly writing about igbo... I keep asking you Igbos why ebonyi people speaking different language with Igbo?
I keep asking you why ebonyi people saying they are not igbos?
I keep asking why ebonyi people are been regard as osu people by the igbos?
Why is the Nsukka people speak different language from igbo? Though insukka language can be igboid but ebonyi language has no resemblance with igbo language.
ebonyi language even sound more like benue languages.

Lol!
You obviously not an Igbo speaker.
If you are, you will know that Izzi, Ezza and Ikwo are typical Igbo dialects. The numbers 1-10 is same as in central Igbo, the syntax and words are same.
Only difference is intonation. Ebonyi dialects are highly tonal. Linguists studied Ezza dialect and found out it has mutual intelligibility score of 90% with far away Owerri dialect. I can imagine that the mutual intelligibility between Ezza and Nkanu will be as far as 97% as they are neighbors.

The Igbo dialects are mutually intelligible in a continum, meaning the closer the dialects speakers are to each other geographically, the more the intelligibility and vice versa.
This isn't same with Epie-Attisa, Abua-Odual, Abureni and Izon.
They totally mutually unintelligible, the number system are unrelated and words for basic things are not same too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Tukpa8: 8:22am On Jun 27, 2023
Igboid:

Lol!
If you are, you will know that Izzi, Ezza and Ikwo are typical Igbo dialects. The numbers 1-10 is same as in central Igbo, the syntax and words are same.
Only difference is intonation. Ebonyi dialects are highly tonal. Linguists studied Ezza dialect and found out it has mutual intelligibility score of 90% with far away Owerri dialect. I can imagine that the mutual intelligibility between Ezza and Nkanu will be as far as 97% as they are neighbors.

The Igbo dialects are mutually intelligible in a continum, meaning the closer the dialects speakers are to each other geographically, the more the intelligibility and vice versa.
They totally mutually unintelligible, the number system are unrelated and words for basic things are not same too.
quiet...you don't lie to me....Ezza or izzi and Abakaliki speak far different dialect from igbo....when an igbo man speaks, I know this is igbo despite I don't understand igbo...but when ebonyi man speaks the first thing that will come to my mind is benue.

Let me write Kalabari numbers 1-10 and also write Ondo Ijaws numbers 1-10 then compared them and tell me the differences if you see...note, Kalabari dialect and Arogbo dialect of Ondo are the farthest dialect.

Ondo Ijaws dialect
Arogbo,,,Apoi,, Furupagha
One = keni.
Two = mamu.
Three = tarr.
Four = niin.
Five = sonron
Six = sindio.
Seven= sonoma
eight = ninne
Nine = isen
Ten = oyi.

Kalabari or Ibani will say:
One = ngei
Two = mai
Three = tere
Four = iniin
Five = sono
Six = sondio
Seven = sonoma
eight = inine
Nine = iseni
Ten = oyi.

What's up guy?
How e be for you?
E clear for your eyes abi?

So if Ondo people dialect can be this intelligible with rivers Ijaws, how much more delta Ijaws dialects? have you reason of bayelsa dialects?

Ijaw language is just tonal...
So it need exposure to understand each other and not learning.

I am understand many Ijaw dialects not because I learn but because I was exposed to it and begin to understand.

In delta state here, Warri North and Warrri south west Ijaws cannot understand with Burutu Ijaws,,,,Bomadi Ijaws Patani Ijaws....it not because they they speak different languages but just that they need exposure to understand each other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by 7lives: 10:16am On Jun 27, 2023
Occurstaem:
E no go better for inferiority complex.
What's the essence of this rubbish?
What the heck!

Yoruba ni baba.

Away l'agba, adiye funfun l'agba adiye, awa l'agba.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by yinkeys(m): 12:47pm On Jun 27, 2023
Igboid:

Patoranking is from Ebonyi state.
Ezigbote Nwafor Igbo.
What does it mean when a dude yells Nwafor Nwafor
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 4:23pm On Jun 27, 2023
yinkeys:

What does it mean when a dude yells Nwafor Nwafor

True Igbo born.
Like authentic Igbo man, no dilution whatsoever.
All lineage in the person is traceable only to Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ASAPFERG: 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:

How can you say CKay isn't important? Are you analysing the issue from a bigoted position? Or you think it's easy to get the number of streams he's got?

So who in your estimation is 'important'?
nobody cares about ckay
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2023
Igboid:

Engenni is not Ijaw.
Engenni is Edoid, closely related to Isoko.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2023
Igboid:

Lol!

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 6:53pm On Nov 19, 2023
Igboid:

Yes.

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2023
sageb:

Rema is Bini in Edo state
Omah lay is Ogba in Rivers State
Korra Obidi is Enuani in Delta state.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 7:14pm On Nov 19, 2023
Eddysilver:
Hmmmmm. Well I don't know alot but I know this much.
There was a time when Igbo artists and their music ruled but they themselves (Igbo artists ), were unable to stand the test of time. By now who wants to be singing 'kporokotom kpom kpom' but back then, this flavour song, for those of you who know the name (Cause I never knew the name) was a party banger. So were the likes of P Square's Alinco (if that's the name) and others. But time changed all that.
You want to know how people like Olamide, Davido, Burna Boy, Wizkid have been able to remain on top and relevant all these years. It's simple, they upgraded their skill set. Take a listen to Davido's 'Dami Duro' and compare it with 'Unavaible' from the his recent album 'Timeless' the difference is clear. It's still the same artiste but he upgraded. Or is it someone like Burna Boy, Wizkid just name any prominent Nigerian artiste today that has been around for a long time in the music industry, there is a big difference between their old songs and their recent ones. It is all about being up to date with music demand. Like I don't think we will ever get tired of the amapiano genre. But there are still artists not into amapiano that are still very successful with their own music. There's Rema, Ckay, Omah Lay amongst others. The Igbo artists you mentioned when last dem release song talkless of say dem give us the vibe we are looking for. Kcee release 'Ojapiano', Kolaboy don release 'Kolapiano vol. 1 and 2', Okay. When last did we get a song from flavor or even P Square while other artists are busy bombarding the music market with masterpieces. I myself has been a huge fan of rema since 'Ginger Me' but when I heard 'Sungba' by Asake back in 2021 I loved it. I later discovered he had a song (lady) back in 2016 but had not had a breakthrough ever since. What does that show, Improvement. Now overseas dem chop am like soya, everybody don turn disciple.
Long story short, as Davido release, Wizkid go release and so will kizz Daniel, Burna Boy and so will many other YOURBA MUSICIANS but how many IGBO MUSICIANS release song wey don blow your mind this season. Kcee and Kolaboy both release their own piano (we sef wan release my own: Eddipiano grin ) but na Kcee's ojapiano blow, Ckay gave us 'Nwayi' and did 'Hallelujah' with Blaqbonezmake another Igbo artist release song wey make sense we nor see. Meanwhile Olamide and Asake gave us Amapiano and New Religion with the latter releasing an album shortly after, Davido's Timeless album was already out way before, Burna Boy with sitting on top of the world, Kizz Daniel with shuperu, bella shmurda release song, Seyi Vibez nor dey let one song blow finish him go release another one (Song Release Machine grin ) Where are the Igbo Musicians?
Peace cool
Insightful.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Swiftgrp: 7:18pm On Nov 19, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flavour In New Video 'oyi Na Tum'(catch Cold) / Music Free Beat: Lil Kesh - Shoki Remix Ft. Davido & Olamide (instrumental) / New Songs To Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.