Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? (5637 Views)

AEUSA: Portable Wins First International Music Award / 5 Biggest Nigerian-International Music Collaborations Of All-Time / 5 Times Olamide Missed His Chance To Impress The International Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by femisplash: 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2023
sageb:

Panam percy paul is from Adamawa "Master of the universe" is one of the best Gospel songs.
True that.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ASAPFERG: 9:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
yinkeys:

Ckay is an Igbo dude
Ckay is not important
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by excanny: 9:28pm On Jun 25, 2023
BentizilL:

They're not Igbo, stop claiming what's not yours...
Why not call igala people Yoruba because they speak yoruboid language? 🙄

It's different. Their Igboid-status is highly political.

Yoruba and Igala can't even be considered comfortably as dialects of each other but obviously distant relatives. It's not the case here.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Armaggedon: 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2023
Ckay and Omalay are Igbos
I used to think Rema was Yoruba. Just learnt he is from Edo state.
Yorubas like claiming dominance of the music industry but a closer watch reveals Igbos are ahead.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by 7lives: 9:44pm On Jun 25, 2023
kettykin:
The most streamed music from Nigeria both gospel and secular music are all from igbo musicians . I am still wondering what this thread is meant to achieve, Ckay's love nwantinti is the most streamed secular music while sinach way maker is the most streamed gospel music in the world .

What of international concerts?.
The guy wey dey lament knows what is going on.
The guy reminds me of a certain Ghanian blogger, Sammy Flex.
Na international concert money dey, no this and know peace.

''

The full list including the number of streams, and country of the artiste are:

1: Ckay 1.1b (Nigeria)
2: Wizkid 576m (Nigeria)
3: Diamond Platinumz 452m (Tanzania)
4: Burna Boy 413m (Nigeria)
5: Davido 367m (Nigeria)
6: Fally Ipupa 331m (Congo)
7: Rayvanny 266m (Tanzania)
8: Fire Boy 247m (Nigeria)
9: Omah Lay 209m (Nigeria)
10: Flavour 211m (Nigeria)

Lesson learnt here , igbos have more worth and are appreciated more by the world than they are appreciated in Nigeria.

we have not finished celebrating the igbo girl that went to a chinese university and beat chinese in their Mandarin Language by coming out the best student in the university , now we have this topic coming up

Igbos still hold the ace in the Class room, Board Room and in the Studio room

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by 7lives: 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2023
Eddysilver:
Hmmmmm. Well I don't know alot but I know this much.
There was a time when Igbo artists and their music ruled but they themselves (Igbo artists ), were unable to stand the test of time. By now who wants to be singing 'kporokotom kpom kpom' but back then, this flavour song, for those of you who know the name (Cause I never knew the name) was a party banger. So were the likes of P Square's Alinco (if that's the name) and others. But time changed all that.
You want to know how people like Olamide, Davido, Burna Boy, Wizkid have been able to remain on top and relevant all these years. It's simple, they upgraded their skill set. Take a listen to Davido's 'Dami Duro' and compare it with 'Unavaible' from the his recent album 'Timeless' the difference is clear. It's still the same artiste but he upgraded. Or is it someone like Burna Boy, Wizkid just name any prominent Nigerian artiste today that has been around for a long time in the music industry, there is a big difference between their old songs and their recent ones. It is all about being up to date with music demand. Like I don't think we will ever get tired of the amapiano genre. But there are still artists not into amapiano that are still very successful with their own music. There's Rema, Ckay, Omah Lay amongst others. The Igbo artists you mentioned when last dem release song talkless of say dem give us the vibe we are looking for. Kcee release 'Ojapiano', Kolaboy don release 'Kolapiano vol. 1 and 2', Okay. When last did we get a song from flavor or even P Square while other artists are busy bombarding the music market with masterpieces. I myself has been a huge fan of rema since 'Ginger Me' but when I heard 'Sungba' by Asake back in 2021 I loved it. I later discovered he had a song (lady) back in 2016 but had not had a breakthrough ever since. What does that show, Improvement. Now overseas dem chop am like soya, everybody don turn disciple.
Long story short, as Davido release, Wizkid go release and so will kizz Daniel, Burna Boy and so will many other YOURBA MUSICIANS but how many IGBO MUSICIANS release song wey don blow your mind this season. Kcee and Kolaboy both release their own piano (we sef wan release my own: Eddipiano grin ) but na Kcee's ojapiano blow, Ckay gave us 'Nwayi' and did 'Hallelujah' with Blaqbonezmake another Igbo artist release song wey make sense we nor see. Meanwhile Olamide and Asake gave us Amapiano and New Religion with the latter releasing an album shortly after, Davido's Timeless album was already out way before, Burna Boy with sitting on top of the world, Kizz Daniel with shuperu, bella shmurda release song, Seyi Vibez nor dey let one song blow finish him go release another one (Song Release Machine grin ) Where are the Igbo Musicians?
Peace cool

You get time dey shalaye, you can't give what you don't have.
Most of the current Yoruba boys like Asake and Seyi are currently leverageing on Fuji and juju music.
Let them go and leverage on their people's traditional songs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by NewDea4: 9:56pm On Jun 25, 2023
thesolutions:
Following trend is the problem of most artist from the eastern region. Afro beat is not an Igbo tune so they can never vibe well in it.
The Igbo music has a faster pace than the afro beat and if they want to play afro beat, they have to step the pace but if they do this, it might not be considered afro beat. So they need to do what they are known for.

Yeah bro igbo music is more embedded with highlife (which came out of Ghana) and it's pace is much faster than afrobeat.

Meanwhile no one said anything when 90% of Super Eagles players were Ibo, so why are ibo people so greedy? Make una chill abeg you can't have it all!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by sagitariusbaby(m): 9:56pm On Jun 25, 2023
Abagworo:

Victony, Tempo, Crayon, Rema, Poco Lee, Soft, Korra Obidi, Blaqbonez, Odumodubl^ck, Omah Lay, Nonso Amadi, Chike and a whole lot are Igbos
slow down, Rehma is proud Edo
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2023
Abagworo:

Ckay and Victony are some of the biggest stars on earth today. Rema is Delta Igbo while Omah Lay is Ikwerre. The biggest songs in Nigerian history are "Calm Down" and "Love Nwantiti".
na wao! Rehma isn't even Deltan, he is from Edo state
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LikeAking: 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
This was copied. How true is this?

There time go come.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by thesolutions(m): 10:06pm On Jun 25, 2023
NewDea4:

Yeah bro igbo music is more embedded with highlife (which came out of Ghana) and it's pace is much faster than afrobeat.

Meanwhile no one said anything when 90% of Super Eagles players were Ibo, so why are ibo people so greedy? Make una chill abeg you can't have it all!
It is not about competing with the current afro beat artist but about them being brave to focus on the line of music and leave afro beat to it owners. Hopefully highlife and zigma sounds might come alive again. They should not hide in depression.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Omoawoke: 10:07pm On Jun 25, 2023
EcoNews:
You are wicked
So you want many Jews to head to the guillotine on their own for not just reason

Bros grin grin

Later they will say Yorubas are lazy

I’ve always said it and will always say it. Yorubas are the most successful tribe in Africa.
Even Yoruba gods are worshipped outside the continent.
In entertainment, finance, medicine, tech, and education. Yorubas are doing tremendously well in Us, Canada, Germany, UK

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Omoawoke: 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2023
Even the legends of African music are Yorubas

Fela, Asha, king sunny Ade, Lagbaja

Abeg, when it comes to music, leave it for Yoruba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Omoawoke: 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2023
sagitariusbaby:
I'm not Igbo but if Yorubas can claim Okun people of Kogi state are Yorubas and even those of Kwara then the Igbo speaking tribes of Delta and Rivers are Igbos. Stop the fuulishness please.

Okun are full blooded Yorubas and kwara are full blooded Yoruba and speak Yoruba but in different tones and accents.
Their culture is 100% Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:15pm On Jun 25, 2023
sageb:

Panam percy paul is from Adamawa
"Master of the universe" is one of the best Gospel songs.
Please stop comparing Panam to these current firebrand gospel artists emanating from Nigeria. PPP belongs to the old order but these ones have since outperformed him. This doesn't mean he wasn't the best at his time, but when are talking about the current raves and waves in the gospel music triple Ps cabt be mentioned.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 10:33pm On Jun 25, 2023
sageb:

Rema is Bini in Edo state
Omah lay is Ogba in Rivers State
Korra Obidi is Enuani in Delta state.

Nonsense.
Rema is Igbanke which is Igbo/Igboid.
Enuani people are proud Igbos. Delta state is not an ethnic group likewise Edo.
Both states contain Indigenous Igbo/Igboid speaking people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 10:35pm On Jun 25, 2023
sageb:

BurnaBoy is Ijaw(Engenni clan) in Ahoada west in Rivers state.
Stop lying

Engenni is not Ijaw.
Engenni is Edoid, closely related to Isoko.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by BentizilL: 10:40pm On Jun 25, 2023
sagitariusbaby:
I'm not Igbo but if Yorubas can claim Okun people of Kogi state are Yorubas and even those of Kwara then the Igbo speaking tribes of Delta and Rivers are Igbos. Stop the fuulishness please.
Baba nobody is asking you whether you're Igbo and nobody is calling the Igboid speaking tribes non igbo, they're the one saying they aren't Igbo...

But ikwere are not Igbo, they should stop land grabbing... shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 10:41pm On Jun 25, 2023
sageb:

None of them is Igbo
Even Muma gee is Ijaw from Abua-Odual in Rivers state.

Abua-Odual are not Ijaw.
They speak an Ibibiod language.
Ijaw and land grabbing nah five and six.
Anyone living in riverine area that is not speaking an Igboid Language automatically become land grabbed as Ijaw even when their language is totally unrelated to Ijaw.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 10:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
BentizilL:

Baba nobody is asking you whether you're Igbo and nobody is calling the Igboid speaking tribes non igbo, they're the one saying they aren't Igbo...

But ikwere are not Igbo, they should stop land grabbing... shocked

Go and rest.
There are people from Ikwerre and all these Igbo speaking areas in SS who proudly identify as Igbo.
But Igbo haters like you rather focus on the loud minority chanting they are not Igbo out of political considerations from those places.

Uche Okwukwu was once APC chairman in Rivers, he is an Ikwerre man, yet proudly Igbo.
But people like you are not interested in that.

You should mind your business when you are neither Igbo nor Ikwerre.
Igbo vs Ikwerre matter nah family matter.
We will use pokenosing Igbophobic outsiders like you to settle our issue in the end. Stay clear!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Ebi2233: 11:09pm On Jun 25, 2023
Igboid:

Abua-Odual are not Ijaw.
They speak an Ibibiod language.
Ijaw and land grabbing nah five and six.
Anyone living in riverine area that is not speaking an Igboid Language automatically become land grabbed as Ijaw even when their language is totally unrelated to Ijaw.
Is Ijaw a parricular language?
Better grow up.
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Igboid: 11:12pm On Jun 25, 2023
Ebi2233:

Is Ijaw a parricular language?
Better grow up.

Yes.
Ijaw is a language. It's called Izon and it has related languages we call Ijoid language like Kalabari, Okirika Biseni, Nembe languages.

But Abua-Odual is not an Ijaw or Ijoid language.
You notice this easily once you look at the numbers from 1-10 in Abua and Ijaw/Ijoid Languages.
They have no single link! Not one similarity.
So how is Abua/Odual Ijaw?
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LOVEALAIGBO: 11:40pm On Jun 25, 2023
@Felabrity

Dude, i hope you're not serious with this assertion! You look at the exploits of Igbos', from the 60s to date' and you wanna claim 'music is not our thing'!?

The thing i see playing out here is that the promoters of the likes of Davido, Wizkid and Burna are quite good at what they do, and Igbo artistes like P-Square, Tekno, CKay, etc, are not as good or the artistes aren't that interested or as committed in pushing their brand internationally.

Personally, i take a nuanced approach when analysing works and effort of Nigerian afrobeat artistes, and for most of these ones people think are so good, it's only one or two songs of there's i can rate.

For Burna, most of his recent stuff doesn't work for me. I only rate his Angeli---Angelinaaaaa and Dangote songs. Haven't felt anything else he's done.

For Davido, he deserves his international status as he a good performer and has released some good songs like Fall and IF (Tekno produced IF).

None of Wizkids songs do much for me.....Same thing with Tiwa Savage and the new one Asake. CKay, it's only his Love-Nwantinti that i rate.....and for Kizz Daniel, it's only his Buga song that does it for me.

Tekno and P-Square in my estimantion have a much better and richer back-catalogue, but like i said, their PR dept isn't as good as those of Davido, Wizkid and Burna!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LOVEALAIGBO: 11:49pm On Jun 25, 2023
ASAPFERG:

Ckay is not important

How can you say CKay isn't important? Are you analysing the issue from a bigoted position? Or you think it's easy to get the number of streams he's got?

So who in your estimation is 'important'?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Christistruth03: 11:49pm On Jun 25, 2023
One of the biggest evergreen all time Yoruba hits was sang by an Igbo Lady Christy Igbokwe

Omo mi Seun Rere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrApu9APBk

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Obagreatdatoye(m): 11:51pm On Jun 25, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:
@Felabrity

Dude, i hope you're not serious with this assertion! You look at the exploits of Igbos', from the 60s to date' and you wanna claim 'music is not our thing'!?

The thing i see playing out here is that the promoters of the likes of Davido, Wizkid and Burna are quite good at what they do, and Igbo artistes like P-Square, Tekno, CKay, etc, are not as good or the artistes aren't that interested or as committed in pushing their brand internationally.

Personally, i take a nuanced approach when analysing works and effort of Nigerian afrobeat artistes, and for most of these ones people think are so good, it's only one or two songs of there's i can rate.

For Burna, most of his recent stuff doesn't work for me. I only rate his Angeli---Angelinaaaaa and Dangote songs. Haven't felt anything else he's done.

For Davido, he deserves his international status as he a good performer and has released some good songs like Fall and IF (Tekno produced IF).

None of Wizkids songs do much for me.....Same thing with Tiwa Savage and the new one Asake. CKay, it's only his Love-Nwantinti that i rate.....and for Kizz Daniel, it's only his Buga song that does it for me.

Tekno and P-Square in my estimantion have a much better and richer back-catalogue, but like i said, their PR dept isn't as good as those of Davido, Wizkid and Burna!
Well...keep to what u love....it doesn't change the fact that Yoruba leads others follow....it's just grace and nothing more!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by kokoA(m): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2023
Very soon we will soon start comparing who knacks better in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by kokoA(m): 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2023
Christistruth03:

One of the biggest evergreen all time Yoruba hits was sang by an Igbo Lady Christy Igbokwe

Omo mi Seun Rere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrApu9APBk
She is not Igbo but Akwa ibom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by ChiefJusticeFuc: 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2023
Nobody wants to listen to music glorifying ill gotten wealth as Igbo music only celebrates money .

If they are not singing "wonwon bill" it is Aba version of Usher (P-Square) "chop my money".

Their music is as dull and uninspiring as their vapid culture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by LOVEALAIGBO: 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2023
Forgot to add Davidos' FIA-FIA-BURN....love the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORvJcpe2Oc
Re: Why Are Our Brothers Missing On The International Music Scene? by Occurstaem(m): 12:05am On Jun 26, 2023
E no go better for inferiority complex.
What's the essence of this rubbish?
What the heck!

Yoruba ni baba.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flavour In New Video 'oyi Na Tum'(catch Cold) / Music Free Beat: Lil Kesh - Shoki Remix Ft. Davido & Olamide (instrumental) / New Songs To Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.