Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years (2036 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by whizqueen(f): 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2023
You might have been asking yourself if moving to Canada is still worth it and I’m happy to tell you that it is! I recently became a Canadian citizen just in 3 years of moving. Let me tell you all about it.

I left Nigeria in September 2019 to Canada as a Permanent resident all by myself! I was literally just 23 and I remember being filled with so much anxiety and fear for the unknown. Thankfully I’ve been able to navigate life as an immigrant in Canada. I’d say it took about 2 years for me to fully settle in and get a hang of my new life. Things got better with time and I’ve been able to build a strong community around me.

I migrated to Canada as a PR so my pathway to becoming a citizen was much more straightforward. You’re required to reside in Canada as a PR holder for at least 3 years/1,095 days before you become eligible to apply for citizenship. I became eligible in September 2022 and I submitted my application online. I was invited for the citizenship test March 2023 and approved for citizenship ceremony May 2023. My total application timeline is about 7 months from my Acknowledgment of receipt (AOR) date.
Life in Canada is definitely not easy! There would be times you wish you never left home but eventually, you would be glad you did.

One of the toughest challenges new immigrants in Canada face is finding jobs in their desired profession. Job search is definitely hard I must say but some tips that has helped so far include upskilling, pivoting to a different career and networking.

The level of professionalism in workspace abroad is very high and a lot of Nigerians do struggle with this. You must work on your soft skills and people skills to navigate your career abroad.

If you move to Canada as a student, your journey would be much longer, expensive and stressful. Consider immigration programs that allow you to move as a PR holder like FSW or PNP. The study route should be your last option.

I encourage you to watch my full vlog on YouTube this video covers more details like my story so far, in-person citizenship ceremony, application process, timeline, and cost.

Now that I have received my blue passport, do you think I would be returning back to Naija or moving to the US? Share your thoughts in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Adbdb2F-b8&feature=youtu.be

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Nickisindigo(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2023
Just finished watching your video, just last week I was wondering when you would upload a video on your citizenship
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Nickisindigo(m): 5:27pm On Jun 25, 2023
After reading the Canadian citizenship law I don't think so
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Sweetvie: 7:38pm On Jun 25, 2023
Congrats
I do watch ur videos sometimes
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Juoflife1(f): 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2023
Congratulations
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by LandingistForum: 6:28pm On Jun 28, 2023
Congrats @whizqueen

I made a post about your story on my forum website. I gave a free promotion to your YouTube channel wink

https://landinggist.com/front-page/from-permanent-resident-to-becoming-a-canadian-citizen-a-story-shared-by-whiz/

You can read and join my forum website. It's just like nairaland and you can make posts and promote your stuff.

Congrats again 🎉

1 Like

Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Ayinke93(f): 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2023
Omg! Congrats star girl! You’ve always been a big inspiration and I’m very happy for you. 🎉
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Rashord007(m): 7:21am On Jul 01, 2023
Congratulations
But You can now move to Nigeria and Start up your Own Company’s (BUSINESS) Because Place Like Home
African is The Home Of All Black Race!!
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Axmondthuglife: 10:57am On Jul 01, 2023
Congrats whiz. Watched the videos on your Instagram..
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Greystone: 6:46am On Jul 04, 2023
Congratulations
whizqueen:
You might have been asking yourself if moving to Canada is still worth it and I’m happy to tell you that it is! I recently became a Canadian citizen just in 3 years of moving. Let me tell you all about it.

I left Nigeria in September 2019 to Canada as a Permanent resident all by myself! I was literally just 23 and I remember being filled with so much anxiety and fear for the unknown. Thankfully I’ve been able to navigate life as an immigrant in Canada. I’d say it took about 2 years for me to fully settle in and get a hang of my new life. Things got better with time and I’ve been able to build a strong community around me.

I migrated to Canada as a PR so my pathway to becoming a citizen was much more straightforward. You’re required to reside in Canada as a PR holder for at least 3 years/1,095 days before you become eligible to apply for citizenship. I became eligible in September 2022 and I submitted my application online. I was invited for the citizenship test March 2023 and approved for citizenship ceremony May 2023. My total application timeline is about 7 months from my Acknowledgment of receipt (AOR) date.
Life in Canada is definitely not easy! There would be times you wish you never left home but eventually, you would be glad you did.

One of the toughest challenges new immigrants in Canada face is finding jobs in their desired profession. Job search is definitely hard I must say but some tips that has helped so far include upskilling, pivoting to a different career and networking.

The level of professionalism in workspace abroad is very high and a lot of Nigerians do struggle with this. You must work on your soft skills and people skills to navigate your career abroad.

If you move to Canada as a student, your journey would be much longer, expensive and stressful. Consider immigration programs that allow you to move as a PR holder like FSW or PNP. The study route should be your last option.

I encourage you to watch my full vlog on YouTube this video covers more details like my story so far, in-person citizenship ceremony, application process, timeline, and cost.

Now that I have received my blue passport, do you think I would be returning back to Naija or moving to the US? Share your thoughts in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Adbdb2F-b8&feature=youtu.be
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:35am On Jul 04, 2023
Nickisindigo:
After reading the Canadian citizenship law I don't think so

Why if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by whizqueen(f): 12:56pm On Oct 20, 2023
LandingistForum:
Congrats @whizqueen

I made a post about your story on my forum website. I gave a free promotion to your YouTube channel wink

https://landinggist.com/front-page/from-permanent-resident-to-becoming-a-canadian-citizen-a-story-shared-by-whiz/

You can read and join my forum website. It's just like nairaland and you can make posts and promote your stuff.

Congrats again 🎉
It’s not loading properly on my phone. But thanks for the shoutout smiley
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by pinkygurl(f): 10:31pm On Jan 11
Congrats
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Princezibk: 11:48pm On Jan 11
Congratulations 🍾🎈🎊! Why do you say study route should be a last option ? Because I intend on going that route already… pls elaborate and thanks
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by ednut1(m): 4:28am On Jan 12
Princezibk:
Congratulations 🍾🎈🎊! Why do you say study route should be a last option ? Because I intend on going that route already… pls elaborate and thanks
getting permanent residency after studying is no longer easy like before. There are over 800k students currently in Canada, yearly PR slot under economic immigration is about 250k a year.
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Princezibk: 7:15am On Jan 12
ednut1:
getting permanent residency after studying is no longer easy like before. There are over 800k students currently in Canada, yearly PR slot under economic immigration is about 250k a year.
ok thanks 🙏 I appreciate
Re: Becoming A Canadian Citizen: From PR To Citizen In Under 4 Years by Gerrard59(m): 7:29am On Jan 12
whizqueen:

I migrated to Canada as a PR so my pathway to becoming a citizen was much more straightforward. You’re required to reside in Canada as a PR holder for at least 3 years/1,095 days before you become eligible to apply for citizenship. I became eligible in September 2022 and I submitted my application online. I was invited for the citizenship test March 2023 and approved for citizenship ceremony May 2023. My

e

For someone who emigrated to Canada in the same year as you (student visa), when is the person likely to become a citizen? My dear friend did the same and she told me COVID delayed the processing to become a PR. I am just curious.

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Belize Visa Without Any Down Payment / Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Diplomatic Row Deepens / Shengen Visa Ban?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.