Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,318 members, 7,829,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos - Nairaland / General (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos (21730 Views)

I Recall Growing Up Using This Torchlight As A Source Of Light / Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? / Lagos State In The 80s And Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Karnice600: 5:48pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:

1.Lawrence Anini on my mind...among many others.

2.Refuse is a Nigerian problem...that's what the environmental sanitation was for.
Shina Rambo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by BigDickProblems: 5:48pm On Jun 27, 2023
Karnice600:

Yeah, but in Nigeria, most people feel great about the country they had in the past than the present.
It's a very disturbing fact. Thanks to tribal bias and nepotism.

I totally agree with you. A country like Nigeria, the past is better than the present. I also remember when they used to sell bread for #10. They can divide it into 2 for #5 each.

My message actually covers life in general. We just need to let bygones be bygones. When you dwell so much in the past, you probably won't go far in anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by absoluteSuccess: 5:58pm On Jun 27, 2023
Karnice600:

Newsline...
Sunday Sunday tonic... Lol.
Where is Frank Olize?

Hmm, only God knows, you'll still remember Sunday rendezvous?

The most interesting part is selling affection to us as a kid, with the "Joy soap commercial."

Another is thermocool fridge and freezer.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Karnice600: 6:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

Hmm, only God knows, you'll still remember Sunday rendezvous?

The most interesting part is selling affection to us as a kid, with the "Joy soap commercial."

Another is thermocool fridge and freezer.
Yeah yeah.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Karnice600: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2023
BigDickProblems:

I totally agree with you. A country like Nigeria, the past is better than the present. I also remember when they used to sell bread for #10. They can divide it into 2 for #5 each.

My message actually covers life in general. We just need to let bygones be bygones. When you dwell so much in the past, you probably won't go far in anything.
Yeah. Understood.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2023
Karnice600:

Shina Rambo

Early 1990s. Nowadays a pastor
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Betgold84: 3:51am On Jun 28, 2023
I watched that passions
Na AIT day run am then.

Fitzgerald guy

BigBlackPreek:
There was this popular American TV program"PASSION" I use to it watch around 2002 , I was 10 at that year.

The main subjects of the program was a kid boy staying with his strict granny

She was so tough on him that she hardly let him play with other kids outside their house

The boy do get upset many times and granny wasn't given in at all.

Very interesting program for kiddies way back then

The granny should be around 65-70 at that time and kid boy should be between 9 and 11.

How time flies
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Dshocker(m): 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2023
Bodeem:
I remember running home after 3 o'clock closing hour so as not to miss my favorite cartoons on TV

There was nothing like satellite TV which meant we watched more contents on local TV. You go to school the following day to gist with friends about the episodes.

Christmas was much fun, we visited friends and families on Christmas day and eat to your satisfaction

There was nothing like phone so whenever my dad goes to work , I stay outside all night till he comes back. Make I no lie anytime its getting so late around 10pm and he's not back I start thinking of bad things like he was kidnapped or had an accident grin. The more it gets late, the more i get worried and when i finally see his peageot 504 headlamp shining from afar, there js this relief thay engolfs me instantly.grin. May his gentle soul rest in peace, he passed on last year.

Teachers and parents beat the hell out of you, they were more ruthless than what we have now.

Our soldiers (army) back then used to be very skinny infact na khaki dey wear them no be them dey wear khaki but the fear they commanded back then is far more than what we have today.

Oh did I forget Mr biggs toilets? When you enter Mr biggs toilet, you find phone numbers painted on the wall. They obviously belong to people looking for love.

Numbers in Mr.Biggs?

Who get phone that time?
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by XAUBulls: 12:42pm On Jun 29, 2023
randymirrors:

Haha yes, somewhere in between those areas.

I meant Lekki Phase 1. Yes Felix Lebarty. I'm surprised no one seems to know Tosin Jegede and Chichi of Africa though.

Chichi sang, "don't smoke, smoking is not good for you".

Tosin sang, "let there be love shared amongst us, let there be love in our hearts...".

"Parents listen to your children, we are the leaders of tomorrow....".

"singing a song for you now, to cheer up all my friends, I love you all, all my friends, we are one".
Yeah I was spot-on. You lived somewhere in between those areas within Ikeja... That's mad cool. grin

Indeed @ randymirrors.

I remember Tosin and Chichi... They were very young then but I wasn't really into their kind of music... (I loved hip-hop and rap a lot from Heavy D, Cool Moe Dee, Ice T, MC Hammer, etc, with a dose of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's tracks blasting from my Walkman). The two girls (Tosin and Chichi) were hugely popular with the girls and younger males though.

I enjoyed the "back in the day" insights from you and it shows we've still got a lot of real male and female OGs here on NL based on the info on this thread. I've been a user of NL since 2005 with an older moniker.

Happy Holidays, and all the best. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 1:56pm On Jun 29, 2023
XAUBulls:

I remember Tosin and Chichi... They were very young then but I wasn't really into their kind of music... (I loved hip-hop and rap a lot from Heavy D, Cool Moe Dee, Ice T, MC Hammer, etc, with a dose of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's tracks blasting from my Walkman). The two girls (Tosin and Chichi) were hugely popular with the girls and younger males though.

Happy Holidays, and all the best. wink

Thanks a lot, you too.

I think we all liked hip hop then cos it was all we had. I referenced Tosin and Chi Chi cos our childhood memories wouldn't be complete without them. I preferred the older artistes and my number 1 song was Ifeoma.

I think everyone liked foreign hip hop and blues too. I also remember how we used to study song magazines to learn those foreign lyrics. I never liked rap.

And Fela too. Too young to make sense of his songs but my dad would always interrupt (I typed interrupt twice as interup and interrup convincing myself each time I was correct and couldn't understand why spell check marked it as wrong) your sleep on weekends with either a Fela song, Bob Marley or Sunny Ade...even Haruna Ishola. It's that Haruna Ishola I just didn't get. Listening to him made me feel like I would have apoplexy.

My mum on the other hand was more sentimental. She loved Dolly Parton and Sonya Spence. She'd listen to Salawa Abeni or Adewale Ayuba too depending on whether she was feeling romantic or funky.

I loved Sonya too and knew all the lyrics to her songs as far back as when I was in primary two. I remember cos her daughter Mimi and I were in the same class.

I could go on and on cos nothing replaces nostalgia not even a trip to Maldives 😄

But what strikes me the most when I look back in retrospect is how our parents strived to give us the best life within the limits of their income. Our old folks are to be cherished beyond reasoning oo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by XAUBulls: 2:23pm On Jun 29, 2023
randymirrors:

Thanks a lot, you too.

I think we all liked hip hop then cos it was all we had. I referenced Tosin and Chi Chi cos our childhood memories wouldn't be complete without them. I preferred the older artistes and my number 1 song was Ifeoma.

I think everyone liked foreign hip hop and blues too. I also remember how we used to study song magazines to learn those foreign lyrics. I never liked rap.

And Fela too. Too young to make sense of his songs but my dad would always interrupt (I typed interrupt twice as interup and interrup convincing myself each time I was correct and couldn't understand why spell check marked it as wrong) your sleep on weekends with either a Fela song, Bob Marley or Sunny Ade...even Haruna Ishola. It's that Haruna Ishola I just didn't get. Listening to him made me feel like I would have apoplexy.

My mum on the other hand was more sentimental. She loved Dolly Parton and Sonya Spence. She'd listen to Salawa Abeni or Adewale Ayuba too depending on whether she was feeling romantic or funky.

I loved Sonya too and knew all the lyrics to her songs as far back as when I was in primary two. I remember cos her daughter Mimi and I were in the same class.

I could go on and on cos nothing replaces nostalgia not even a trip to Maldives 😄

But what strikes me the most when I look back in retrospect is how our parents strived to give us the best life within the limits of their income. Our old folks are to be cherished beyond reasoning oo
@randymirrors,

Nicely put!

The last two bolded paragraphs of yours strike a cord with me.

Last but not least, wow, your mum loved Adewale Ayuba?

I think Adewale Ayuba should do a remake of his very early 1990s monster hit song, "Bubble" since just this month of June, 2023, Grammy Awards included a new category for popular African music genres from fuji, juju, amapiano, afrobeat, afrobeats, highlife, and more. He could still win a Grammy award or any other music award with a remake of that "Bubble" track.

Talk to you later. wink

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

5 Luxury Accessories You Can Get Your Loved One This Season / How To Turn Your Photo Into A Cartoon Using Your Android Phone / Crazy Bills Everywhere Despite No Regular Power Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.