Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos (21656 Views)

I Recall Growing Up Using This Torchlight As A Source Of Light / Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? / Lagos State In The 80s And Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Burruchaga71(m): 6:40pm On Jun 26, 2023
Tinubu is a DRUG LORD and can never be my leader or heads will roll.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2023
randymirrors:

Says who? Not kidnap for ransom as it is now but kidnapping existed. Matter of fact, I used to have nightmares of kidnap simply because I knew it existed. They used to call them "gbomo gbomo" then.

What existed then in the late 80s and 90s were "head hunters", not actually kidnappers.
That was made more popular by nollywood films
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by BanjiHols(m): 7:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source

You forgot Robin Hood and Ovide and the Gang.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by gentleguy1975: 7:05pm On Jun 26, 2023
That television thing na true but the exception is weekends, when they used to start in the morning, I also remember watching I,W,A back then, with characters like: Mighty Igor,Mill Mascara etc

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Hotice085: 7:06pm On Jun 26, 2023
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by ogbe88(m): 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
80s started with Operation feed the nation, then war against indisisi and SAP now finished the decade with most parents out of job!

80s and 90s were military years and aluta of June 12 annulment! Even the Eyo Festival was not spared of fights and bloodshed in Lagos.

Real life of back to the drawing board progress started in the year 2000 and upwards. That is why Lagosians suffered the most and when we demand for respect and reciprocity from Igboland, give us o. We can not suffer double jeopardy of having visitors cheat us by keeping their own 100% from us after all we went through to build , defend and revive our city to a place that welcome them in droves today.

God bless Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. God bless him for the renaissance of our city under his leadership. Col. Marwa tried too but too much filth , bomb blasts, OPC/ Hausa war and assassination of our Yoruba leaders remain a blight on his tenure.
Madman
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by FreeStuffsNG: 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2023
ogbe88:
Madman
mynd44 nlfpmod

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Lamanii22(f): 7:12pm On Jun 26, 2023
carl90:
Life was good back then.
I am in my late 30s.
I can remember dad took all of us, family,to Mr. Biggs at Apapa,Lagos after we close from church.
There was surplus.
Food dey.
God rest the soul of dad.
Now,every don scatter.
It is well sha.
Aluta continua ,Victoria ascertae.

I think Mr Biggs need to find their glory again… they had the best food and snacks back then
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by segyoms: 7:13pm On Jun 26, 2023
[quote author=ConfidentialDoc post=124040095]

Goldspot made by Femstar nig ltd.[Tandi was my favorite drink then]
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Lamanii22(f): 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
There was this popular American TV program"PASSION" I use to it watch around 2002 , I was 10 at that year.

The main subjects of the program was a kid boy staying with his strict granny

She was so tough on him that she hardly let him play with other kids outside their house

The boy do get upset many times and granny wasn't given in at all.

Very interesting program for kiddies way back then

The granny should be around 65-70 at that time and kid boy should be between 9 and 11.

How time flies

Yeah I remember passions, casts like Theresa, tabitha, Louisa, Timmy, Miguel
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Brownshoe: 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2023
So nobody watch "Ecoli" American drama
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by segyoms: 7:16pm On Jun 26, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

Goldspot made by Femstar nig ltd.

Tandi was my favorite drink back in the days

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by PrincessofDSS(f): 7:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
Chno:
It’s the truth because my parents told us the story, it was in 1992 my mom finally agreed to date my dad i guess my dad was a legendary simp for wooing my mom for that long

Lmao

You’re just not serious

I remember back then during our primary school days; the day that Nelson Mandela was released from jail, the federal government declared public holidays
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by themanderon: 7:52pm On Jun 26, 2023
Life was very sweet then. Even though we were looking at things getting better in the country but sadly we have hit rock bottom as a nation.
They told us we were the leaders of tomorrow but those that told the lie are still hanging onto power today. Nepa was a bit better than the horror we have today.
Everyday it was e go better but almost 30yrs later we are still in dire straits.
My lovely mother and father were civil servants and we would close school by 2pm while they closed by 3:30 pm. We all had nice family time watching TV and chatting away about the activities of the day. Now parents rarely have time for kids and families are becoming strangers under the same roof.
Nigerian Railways was the zing thing those beautiful days. Now I weep when I see what that wonderful corporation has become.
Truly, it is easier to destroy than to build.
God rest the soul of my beautiful mother.

3 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by segyoms: 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually, I disagree

1980's started off well, then the oil price crashed, and the economy went down. Then prices of food went up under Buhari, and then SAP came with IBB.

Times were hard then, and Nigerians complained well well. It's easy to look back and think it was all well, but that was the era of things like O-1-0, Kabu-kabu, and Andrew checking out (yes people started japa then). The era when the naira started falling down.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Sir that's true it's not today Nigerians started japa,my uncles relocated to the UK then.. even telling my Dad to follow suit,he refused cos he was balling,my mum's friends to left the country

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by themanderon: 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2023
Brownshoe:
So nobody watch "Ecoli" American drama

Egoli the place of Gold was actually a south African drama series.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Sultty(m): 7:57pm On Jun 26, 2023
Lagos was not as populated, contentment was imbibed in Lagos and more people had good morals, a considerable population of togolese and ghanians doing labor work,I remember chicken george, Bata stores (later famad) that's where I get all my shoes from, truly no lekki(only vi and ikoyi but mostly occupied by foreign expertriates, lennerds (not sure if it's existing),kinsway stores, I live at surulere back then in my grandma's house. Egba's really played a role in Lagos as we were one of the earliest settlers (take it to the bank after doing your research) I remember military rule and Lagos being the capital of Nigeria where head of state babangida's office then was at dodan barracks obalende, Lagos was neat and less crime rate. I'm out of Lagos and will never miss it

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Ficeo(m): 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source
You did not add our Tales by Moonlight! Willie Willie!
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Brownshoe: 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2023
themanderon:

Egoli the place of Gold was actually a south African drama series.
correct this man old and sabi cheesy
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Chno: 8:40pm On Jun 26, 2023
lol so that’s the only event you remembered because you really wanted to stay home for holidays you no like school
PrincessofDSS:

Lmao

You’re just not serious

I remember back then during our primary school days; the day that Nelson Mandela was released from jail, the federal government declared public holidays

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by PrincessofDSS(f): 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2023
Chno:
lol so that’s the only event you remembered because you really wanted to stay home for holidays you no like school

Hahaha

I was barely 7 by then so public holidays was like a Christmas Day 🤣🤣🤣
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by realtalk19: 8:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source

Eruku oshodi was common and bongo tea.

Sprint and robot chewing gum.

M& K with gogo sweet.

Pako ,okin short bread biscuit were celebrities then.

Super screen was my favorite channel for super force ,doctor who ,sound of music,robin hood series.

My other favorite channels were frago rock, super Ted,Ovid and the gang, tales by moon light,speak out, feyikogbon,new mascurade,

My movies Nagina,Sunita, the gods must be crazy, evil dead,return of the evil dead

Drinks like tandi,limca,Chapman,goldspot,shwepps,

Chupa chups and goody goody with baba duduq
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by sholikay(m): 9:07pm On Jun 26, 2023
I could remember some cartoons then...
Teletubbies,and this Sunday tales by moonlight...

Also this phone booth placed at strategic places..I wonder what they used to do there then...

And lastly this telephone that used to ring grin grin
...that has that rolling dial pad
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Shokoloko(f): 9:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
sholikay:
I could remember some cartoons then...
Teletubbies,and this Sunday tales by moonlight...

Also this phone booth placed at strategic places..I wonder what they used to do there then...

And lastly this telephone that used to ring grin grin
...that has that rolling dial pad
Absolutely, that was for wealthy people grin grin. Middle-class people went to Nipost and queued to make calls at the phone counter.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Sirbruno3000(m): 9:44pm On Jun 26, 2023
Really? What has changed? Never been to lagos. I grew up in Jos, beautiful town back then in the 90s.
bennybuhari:
Lagos is no longer what it used to be
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Dabronze(m): 9:45pm On Jun 26, 2023
The cartoon I remember

All magic school bus

Votron

There was one woman telling story with naratibe with drama children sitting under the tree that program was on Sunday evening
On NTA
My best song in those time are

Funmi Adams - My beloved country

Sunny Ade & Onyeka owenu - If you love me you go wait for me

Felix liberty - Ifeoma

Raskimono - Under pressure Africa

Daniel Wilson - Ragamofy

Blacky ,Oritz Wiliki , Sunny Okosun e. t.c

My best movie

The Armour God - Jackie Chan

The Fiery Force

Snake in the monkey shadow

MARD

No Retreat No surrender

The Terminator

EQUALIZER 2000 - Chuk Norris

3 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by absoluteSuccess: 10:49pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Hahahahaha! That ologbo was the same name we called cat for my non-Yoruba ethnic group

What tribe is that brother?
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by airsaylongcome: 10:51pm On Jun 26, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

What tribe is that brother?

Urhobo
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Lilimax(f): 11:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
sacajawea:

You are that old?
You think say I be your mate? When I finish my NYSC in 1999 where were you? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by lilbro(m): 11:15pm On Jun 26, 2023
How time Flies with Nostalgic memoirs!

Almost everyone here talking about lagos state, but i grew up in delta state warri to be precise. im in my mid forty's now but back then electricity was constant no one had generators. we had a national model television black and white that is like a cabinet with doors and betamax video player with small cassettes up until like 1990 where we bought a coloured National television with VHS.

We had an outdoor aerial antenna that i remember we go out and turn and i would ask my sister if the tv was clear....lol tv signal and reception was very clear during rainy seasons and harmattan season we received hundreds of channels from all over the country during that time. NTA at the time had a festival where for some reasons their broadcast will be so strong that we would receive 24hrs uninterrupted tv. i Had my first video game Atari, then nintendo (nes) then when i was in ss2 i got my snes, good days man good good days.

We had alot of supermarkets, Leventis, Kingsway, Blackie thomas, bestway and Esco superstores all around warri, my dad would take us some sundays for dinner or luch at Jade garden chinese retaurant at the airport Junction or Auntys Kitchen at enerhen Junction. Every one lived peacefully warri was like europe with white people wandering all over the streets. my dad worked with shell and his offical cars were the volkswagen amazon, jetta and santana.

Warri was a bustling city, the best private Primary & secondary schools then was DSC technical high school (THS), John F Kennedy international school, Delta careers college and Field Crest. Best Govt schools at the time was Hussey College, Dom domingos college, and Nana college and Army day secondary school, Urhobo college (all boys) and Our ladys high school ( all girls) at Effurun. i went to at most 3 of this schools while growing up.

Life was beautiful every major company had their staff homes for their employees, SHELL, DSC, NPA, NNPC, DUMEZ. we had an airport that whenever the planes wanted to land or takeoff the would shut the 2 gates right on the airport road so cars cant get across to cause an accident.

We watched Nigerian tv shows on sundays like: Tales by moonlight, Behind the clouds ( we stopped watching when Nosa died). Santa barbara, Love boat,were american tv series we also loved watching after Nta news. i also loved watching sesame street.
CTL cable tv first came on antennas and we watch south african stations like BOP tv omoh south africa don go far back then they had amazing programs.

The most popular rich families then in Warri was The Edewors, The esisios, The mosheshes, The odibos, The Jeffias and alot more that i cant remember, these family's are so rich in Real estate i would think up till now. The air was fresh, everyone moved freely and its was safe to get from point A to B. my family and i left warri after my secondary school. God bless warri for raising me. i can sey i am a true waffarian because i was born and raised there with the good the bad and the ugly!

5 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Demonicide(f): 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
There was this popular American TV program"PASSION" I use to it watch around 2002 , I was 10 at that year.

The main subjects of the program was a kid boy staying with his strict granny

She was so tough on him that she hardly let him play with other kids outside their house

The boy do get upset many times and granny wasn't given in at all.

Very interesting program for kiddies way back then

The granny should be around 65-70 at that time and kid boy should be between 9 and 11.

How time flies

That should be Timi and Tabitha(witch). Timi is late now. Passion and Ms Parker were my fave in the early 20's
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by HoneySwag(f): 11:23pm On Jun 26, 2023
randymirrors:

Whitney 😂

Who was prettier between the two though? I'd go for Theresa. She was former Miss America. Loved her thick black hair.

Thought the guy's name was Hitney cos Whitney is a lady's name 🤦
Love Theresa too, she was so pretty then

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man O War Ranks / How Much Do You Spend On Feeding Daily / 10 Yabs We yabbed Ourselves When We Were Young

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.