Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,521 members, 7,812,627 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos (21563 Views)

I Recall Growing Up Using This Torchlight As A Source Of Light / Which Of These Were You "Disciplined" With While Growing Up? / Lagos State In The 80s And Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by airsaylongcome: 5:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

It could be brother, there must be a proper name for that thing, we were told all sorts of things back then as kids lol, there's another one, oju ologbo, I usually wonder where those things do come from.

Hahahahaha! That ologbo was the same name we called cat for my non-Yoruba ethnic group
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Cantonese: 5:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Nigerians today have no breaking point. Back in the day, all these price hikes would have been met with complete anarchy and rebellion. Between Gani, Falana and Fela, one of these would have revolted

Yes, but the truth remains that Nigerians allowed themselves to be deceived by politicians. Politicians preyed on the gullibility of Nigerians. They always say that Nigerians easily forget. They pushed tribalism and allowed it to fester. The rest is history as we experience it.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by MondayOsunbor(m): 5:28pm On Jun 26, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Yes there was NES then SNES then later playstation

In the 80s Nigeria was ravaged by the Military rulers stealing so corruption had already spoilt many things ..traffic lights etc weren't working

We still got some of the classic 80s quality content and cartoons like Voltron, superted, fraggle rock, wonder years, bassey and company, ripples, behind the clouds, Jake and the Fat man. moonlighting ( with a young Bruce Willis)

Everything was of higher quality and we ate more healthily..see the thick stature of our footballers then

That same Bruce Willis is an old man now battling dementia now .. so that would tell you something about time .
Then the ultra rich had big satellite dish but with time cable came and we had sky tv cartoon network etc ..the the first pcs and early windows versions, then early internet..

Its actually amazing the speed of tech development we have witnessed

Remember Bruce wills show called moonlighting ! Is it on TV at night. NTA Benin is the best .That was before he blew
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 5:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source
OP you tried nor b small. But na copy and paste sha grin
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by omoyankee3(m): 5:31pm On Jun 26, 2023
Jabberjaw, Ally cats, the Jetsons, lots of toy adverts. I watched all these on cabletel

postigar:
People of God
As way back 91,92,93, there was already satellite dish and cable network we used to watch captain planet, space ghost, thunder the barbarian, jossie and the pussy cat, centurions(power extreme), Mr T, the Flintstones, He-man, Thundercats and many more am still trying to remember.

Then there were game consoles already out then by that period
There was family computer, Sega drive, the was nitendo(Ness) and super nitendo(sness)

Then if you owned any of this game consoles your parents were topnotch and if u guys had cable TV then. Then few years later CTL came out

Was very fortunate to have most of these while growing up
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 5:31pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Are guavas even available for purchase today. Back then we ate guava with reckless abandon. To the extent that rumours started spreading that if you eat guava anyhow you will get appendix. There were soft ripe guava and "hard" ones. And the thin branches were a good "factory reset" tool aka cane

Yeah I remember. Can't remember the last time I saw guavas. Did you eat apples growing up, those little, pink ones? Very juicy stuff.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 5:33pm On Jun 26, 2023
Bodeem:
I remember running home after 3 o'clock closing hour so as not to miss my favorite cartoons on TV

There was nothing like satellite TV which meant we watched more contents on local TV. You go to school the following day to gist with friends about the episodes.

Christmas was much fun, we visited friends and families on Christmas day and eat to your satisfaction

There was nothing like phone so whenever my dad goes to work , I stay outside all night till he comes back. Make I no lie anytime its getting so late around 10pm and he's not back I start thinking of bad things like he was kidnapped or had an accident grin. The more it gets late, the more i get worried and when i finally see his peageot 504 headlamp shining from afar, there js this relief thay engolfs me instantly.grin. May his gentle soul rest in peace, he passed on last year.

Teachers and parents beat the hell out of you, they were more ruthless than what we have now.

Our soldiers (army) back then used to be very skinny infact na khaki dey wear them no be them dey wear khaki but the fear they commanded back then is far more than what we have today.

Oh did I forget Mr biggs toilets? When you enter Mr biggs toilet, you find phone numbers painted on the wall. They obviously belong to people looking for love.
Good old days
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by eepeepook: 5:34pm On Jun 26, 2023
Fafesot:

Whom do you want to rule us then?
Mention the young person.
In a population of 206 million, we have at the very least 10,000 innovative young minds to clear a path of prosperity for the country.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by airsaylongcome: 5:35pm On Jun 26, 2023
randymirrors:

Yeah I remember. Can't remember the last time I saw guavas. Did you eat apples growing up, those little, pink ones? Very juicy stuff.

Hahahahahahahahaha..."African Apple" aka snake food. We ate it like crazy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 5:36pm On Jun 26, 2023
UrennaNkoli:
Last time I posted was 5 years ago but I had to drop this due to nostalgia.

There's was little means of communication. If you don't have the patience of sending letters through post office , I think only NiTEL was available at thay point and it was not reliable. I lived briefly at dodan barracks. I remember we kids hailing babangida as his convoy leaves . Baba go just use newspaper cover his face lol. Very handsome man and likeable man. The rich lived in ikeja and surulere, there was nothing like lekki, those places were just villages mostly huts, on the mainland it was as if where civilization ended was iyanaipaja. Anything beyond that was just Bush. Berger was very scanty. Going further to ibafo was just bush . Scanty settlements as you drive to ibadan.. then mowe was another scanty settlement coz it led to ofada and owode egba. You could also access abeokuta through that route. There were very few TV stations tho they had times they opened and closed can't remember. We watched local contents at night. There were richer contents on Saturday and Sunday nights. Sunday night food was usually moi moi and garri.

There was also constant riots and protest such that once they start somewhere, it rapidly escalates . Everybody starts closing shops and running home. Students were also forced to close from school and go home. I didnt know much about politics then so i didnt know what was going on. Children played together till late night when everyone is tired. When abacha died, people were running up and down celebrating. I thought nigeria had won the world cup or something. I was a teenager then, it felt so weird seeing people jubilate that someone had just died. . Oh did I forget the once in a blue moon Sunday trips to Mr biggs. Life generally was bitter sweet.
You get to see the jubilation at Isolo, just because a dictator died.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by geokay777(m): 5:38pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source
Murita (nuri) international television nko? Mitv
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by omoyeni37: 5:39pm On Jun 26, 2023
There was this comic then, dauda that likes women a lot grin
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2023
postigar:
People of God
As way back 91,92,93, there was already satellite dish and cable network we used to watch captain planet, space ghost, thunder the barbarian, jossie and the pussy cat, centurions(power extreme), Mr T, the Flintstones, He-man, Thundercats and many more am still trying to remember.

Then there were game consoles already out then by that period
There was family computer, Sega drive, the was nitendo(Ness) and super nitendo(sness)

Then if you owned any of this game consoles your parents were topnotch and if u guys had cable TV then. Then few years later CTL came out

Was very fortunate to have most of these while growing up
Wao! DSTV was the mother of all cable TVs
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Imotman(m): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2023
Looking back now that period has been the best time of life as a Nigerian... Great Nostalgia everywhere

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by judedwriter(m): 5:42pm On Jun 26, 2023
Pacyrus:
You get to see the jubilation at Isolo, just because a dictator died.

... and when the wicked perish, there is shouting.
— Proverbs 11:10

The day abacha death was broadcasted, indeed it was jubilation everywhere.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Menclothing: 5:43pm On Jun 26, 2023
Lagos our pride built by good people
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2023
Racoon:
grin

The super eagles winning the Nation cups in 1980( @ the National stadium) and 1994(Tinusia) and Olympic Gold Medal in Atlanta Georgia USA will forever be itched in my memory

Even as a female, I can't forget Tunisia '94. Still rings in my ears. Still have memories of our players then. Sunday Oliseh, Oruma, Anosike, Emmanuel Amunike, Steven Keshi (think he was the captain then, if he wasn't, then it must have been Sunday Oliseh, can't remember), also can't remember if Samuel Okparaji was on that team, Okocha, KANU.

Then my love Rasheed Yekini (can't forget how he used to hold the net when he scores), Celetine Babayaro. Peter Rufai (the keeper).

Chai..I have a memory like an elephant 😂

3 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 6:01pm On Jun 26, 2023
Omo ur head dey hot cheesy
Sablexxxtoons:
Yes there was NES then SNES then later playstation

In the 80s Nigeria was ravaged by the Military rulers stealing so corruption had already spoilt many things ..traffic lights etc weren't working

We still got some of the classic 80s quality content and cartoons like Voltron, superted, fraggle rock, wonder years, bassey and company, ripples, behind the clouds, Jake and the Fat man. moonlighting ( with a young Bruce Willis)

Everything was of higher quality and we ate more healthily..see the thick stature of our footballers then

That same Bruce Willis is an old man now battling dementia now .. so that would tell you something about time .
Then the ultra rich had big satellite dish but with time cable came and we had sky tv cartoon network etc ..the the first pcs and early windows versions, then early internet..

Its actually amazing the speed of tech development we have witnessed

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 6:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

Goldspot made by Femstar nig ltd.
At Upper Iweka, I guess.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Pacyrus(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2023
judedwriter:

... and when the wicked perish, there is shouting.
— Proverbs 11:10

The day abacha death was broadcasted, indeed it was jubilation everywhere.
apt
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

The word ''kidnapped'' wasn't existing in Nigeria in the '80s and early '90s.

Hope you're not a millennium kid trying to ginger us?

Says who? Not kidnap for ransom as it is now but kidnapping existed. Matter of fact, I used to have nightmares of kidnap simply because I knew it existed. They used to call them "gbomo gbomo" then.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by hustla(m): 6:07pm On Jun 26, 2023
Was really, really sweet

People were outside more and not glued to the internet and their phones so people socialized more. I remember using Nitel landlines and marvelling at how someone could hear me on the other line (only one person had it on our street) .. I also remember the first time i held a Satellite phone in 98, it was surreal. Was owned by one egbon from the US who everyone said was a 419er grin

We couldnt even browse or make video calls with the A52 Siemens, Sendo, Sagem and Nokias back then. Cheat codes later came after 10MB plans and then it went from there. You had to go to the cafe to browse, Multilink and Starcomms later came grin

Times have really changed tbh. Wish I could bring back the good old days when we used to just party without worries in this world. Baggy jeams, Phatfarm and Timberland boots & AirForce 1s, 6ers jerseys, headbands with durags, Echo fits, Vokal jerseys etc. Choi! The days of Funai and Akai DVD players and Sharp TVs cheesy When our dream was to make antennas that would make DBN or LTV show up, when during harmattan, stations like ITV would show up, when SEGA, NES, SNES and N64 was the thing..
When PS1 came out, it was a game changer, the competitions at game houses grin. I remember when MK3 and 4 codes were written on paper by OGs . When if you were selected by the egbon adugbos to deliver love letters to their girlfriends, then you were a big boy by right grin

RIP to my childhood friends, Seun, Michael and Benedict smiley

I miss the early early 90s cry

2 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Karleb(m): 6:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
hustla:
Was really, really sweet

People were outside more and not glued to the internet and their phones so people socialized more.

Times have really changed tbh. Wish I could bring back the good old days when we used to just party without worries in this world

RIP to my childhood friends, Seun, Michael and Benedict smiley

Baba, no vex o. I always thought you were in your 20s.
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by hustla(m): 6:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
Karleb:

Baba, no vex o. I always thought you were in your 20s.

grin cheesy

I wish o

Local man don tey small for street
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by HoneySwag(f): 6:21pm On Jun 26, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
There was this popular American TV program"PASSION" I use to it watch around 2002 , I was 10 at that year.

The main subjects of the program was a kid boy staying with his strict granny

She was so tough on him that she hardly let him play with other kids outside their house

The boy do get upset many times and granny wasn't given in at all.

Very interesting program for kiddies way back then

The granny should be around 65-70 at that time and kid boy should be between 9 and 11.

How time flies
The main characters in Passions were Theresa and Hitney
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by phemmyfour: 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2023
KingAzubuike:

Source
Days of bread Onibeji

Days of carton of peak milk in tin plus bournvita/Mili (no sachet then)

Days of OGTV late night movie

Days of classic music from the likes of..MJ, Busta rhymes, Timberland

Days of Horror naija movie before Nollywood e.g Hauwa (Dauda used her for money ritual), Abiku etc

Days of NTA sport on Saturday from 4pm and European football highlights on mid-week

Days of battle of the planet(G-force) Voltron, birdman, speed racer, thunder sub, superforce (Robocop inspired), rent-a-ghost, terrahawks(zero vs x) etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaOQA-wcm2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Vjz8T1G5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NlDlgqYXg

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 6:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

The richest people in the neighborhood had the satellite dish below. It cost 250,000 naira to install back then. That must be like 5million naira in to days currency.

Others had the antenna looking type cheesy

It was more like this. Then the antenna type you mentioned was Cable not Satellite.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 6:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
HoneySwag:

The main characters in Passions were Theresa and Hitney

Whitney 😂

Who was prettier between the two though? I'd go for Theresa. She was former Miss America. Loved her thick black hair.

1 Like

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by randymirrors(f): 6:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
miketayo:

That was much later,
we watched secret of the sand sledge hammer in the mid 90s

When I saw Papa Ajasco, I'm like, *wetin this one dey talk"..

2 Likes

Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by Mrtaye: 6:34pm On Jun 26, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Channels came much much later. There was AIT before them. And NTA before AIT
I'm actually talking of the early 90s
Re: What Was It Like Growing Up In The 80s And 90s In Lagos by nairalanda1(m): 6:34pm On Jun 26, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

The word ''kidnapped'' wasn't existing in Nigeria in the '80s and early '90s.

Hope you're not a millennium kid trying to ginger us?

Kidnapping did happen back then.

I recall one of my younger sibling's mates who was kidnapped back in the early 1990's...1990 to be exact. Fortunately, he had a slim window to escape, and he took it.

We kids used to be warned not to follow strangers back then.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Craziest Thing You've Done for Money? / How A Disabled Guy Laying In The Middle Of The Road Was Rescued In Edo. Photos / Motorcyclist Returns Missing #700,000 To A Business Woman In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.