Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,621 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention (22209 Views)

Banks Push Out Dirty, Mutilated Notes As New Naira Scarcity Persists / Naira To Trade At 386/$ As CBN Resumes Forex Sale To BDCs / Dollar Sells For N445 As Forex Scarcity Persists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by iwaeda: 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2023
There are indications that banks are ignoring the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, directive that they should grant their customers unfettered withdrawal of foreign currencies from domiciliary accounts.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s foreign exchange market has recorded a drastic change following the market reforms introduced by the CBN, previous week.

Financial Vanguard findings show that the banks are still restricting the amount of foreign currency that customers can withdraw from their accounts saying the currencies are still scarce.

Dealers and the customers who spoke to Financial Vanguard lamented that the situation has impeded supply of foreign currency to the market.

But the drastic change in both structure and operations of the foreign exchange market, according to the Financial Vanguard findings has resulted in exchange rate convergence by default as the US dollar traded within narrow band across the three segments of the market, namely, the Investors and Exporters (I&E) window, the Bureau De Changes (BDCs) and the black market.

However, for the first time, the exchange rate in the official market (I&E) surpassed what obtained in the black market.

Meanwhile, dealers across all the segments are facing acute scarcity of the US dollars while CBN resumed supply of the foreign currency last week, though at a very low volume.

Findings by Financial Vanguard show that Naira last week depreciated further to N770.17 per dollar in the I&E window, with currency dealers projecting further deterioration of the dollar scarcity, a situation which may propel further depreciation of the local currency this week.

According to data from FMDQ, the I&E window exchange rate closed at N770.17 per dollar on Friday. This represents 16.2 per cent week-on-week, WoW, depreciation of the Naira when compared with the closing rate of N663.04 per dollar the previous week.

The Naira also depreciated in the parallel market, where the dollar traded within the range of N765 and N770 per dollar, at the close of business, up from N759 per dollar the previous week.

The Naira has been on the downward trend in both the official market and parallel market, since the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN announced, “Operational Changes to the Foreign Exchange Market,” including elimination of multiple exchange rates/segments and re-introduction of willing seller, willing buyer model in the I&E window.

Since the changes were announced the previous week, the Naira has depreciated by 63 per cent in the I&E window, from N471.67 per dollar on Tuesday June 13th.

During the same period, the Naira also depreciated by 20 per cent in the parallel market from N755 per dollar.

Dollar scarcity

Financial Vanguard findings from currency dealers showed that the depreciation is driven by acute dollar scarcity in both I&E and the parallel market.

A banker and forex market analyst who spoke on condition of anonymity told Financial Vanguard, “Though the CBN intervened in the I&E window on Thursday, the market is still very short, in terms of supply. The volume of sales by the CBN was not much. The highest volume sold per buyer was $5 million dollars. Some others got $2.5 million while others got between $250,000 and $1 million.

“They, however, sold only to people that bided at an exchange rate above $761 per dollar.

“After the CBN’s sales, some international organisations also sold but the volume was small compared to the demand, especially given the backlog of matured obligations. I will say the market is still evolving and going through a price discovery process. The volatility will continue with the Naira further depreciating, depending on dollar supply coming into the I&E window.

“The true exchange rate will only emerge when all the backlog of dollar demand has been satisfied.”

Operators react

Bureaux De Change, BDC, operators and parallel market operators who spoke to Financial Vanguard lamented the dollar scarcity in the market, noting that banks are yet to comply with the directive of the CBN that they should allow customers have unfettered access to funds in their domiciliary accounts.

Mallam Ahmed Yunusa, a black market trader in Lagos, said: “The market has been very busy since last week after the CBN eased its restrictions on forex trading in banks.

“A dollar was sold for N770 today (last Friday) because I bought a dollar for N765 making just N5 profit. However, over the week, the dollar has been traded at N745 to N770.

“The reason for this is because most of our customers who visited the banks complained the demand for dollars is higher than the supply and that the banks don’t have enough dollars to go round hence the rise in the price for the willing buyers.

“Most traders at the parallel market decided to sell a bit less or higher within the price range of banks to keep our customers as the competition becomes tougher.

“I see a continuous rise in the volume of demand for the dollar as we approach the end of the year and an appreciation of the Naira to N500 or N600 per dollar in the near term if dollar supply increases.”

On his part, Mallam Umoru Mohammed, another black market trader in Lagos, said: “The dollar has been trading since last week from N740 to N770. Today the dollar was traded at N750.

“Here in Ikorodu, businesses have been dull as not many sold dollars to us hence I was not able to get supply of dollars due to the higher demand of dollars than supply.

“I see the Naira depreciating to N800 per dollar due to the inability of traders to meet the demands of buyers as we approach the remaining half of the year but if there is more forex inflows the reverse will be the case.”

Similarly, Garuba Hassan, a parallel market operator also in Lagos, said: “Today (last Friday) we are buying at N750 per dollar, but yesterday the rate was between N760 and N770 per dollar. If you go to the banks, they will tell you no dollars. You will have to visit about three banks before you can get the dollars, and this is affecting the market and the rate.”

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a Bureaux De Change, BDC, operator, and executive member of Association of Bureaux De Change Operators of Nigeria, ABCON, said: “There is nothing like BDC exchange rate because the CBN is not selling dollars to BDCs. We all compete with the parallel market operators for dollars and as such we have to ensure our rates match theirs.

“The situation in the market now is that demand is high but dollars are still scarce because there is no supply.

“People that want to withdraw dollars from their domiciliary account are not able to do so. The banks keep telling them there are no dollars.

“But I believe the Naira will appreciate in the coming weeks. The sharp depreciation of the Naira in the I&E window, I believe, is to encourage investors and Nigerians in Diaspora to bring in their dollars.

“Once this happens, the exchange rate in both I&E and the parallel market will gradually go down.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/06/forex-scarcity-persists-as-cbn-resumes-intervention/

1 Like

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by shortgun(m): 12:13pm On Jun 26, 2023
When we told them the drug baron knows nothing about how the economy works they called us names.
grin grin grin
Imagine someone who only knows how to mobilize agberos to intimidate voters taking decisions on fiscal matters in 2023.

Someone who said "na statistics we go chop?" No accountant worth his salt will make this statement.
grin grin grin
No country in the world"completely" floats it's currency including the USA and China.

An intelligent president will know that the only "market forces" that exists in Nigeria are greedy monopolistic corrupt individuals who will take advantage of any haphazard policy to enrich themselves.

Tinubu did not speak a single word in France where world leaders gathered, how exactly is he going to attract foreign investors into the country?

159 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by PUSSYHOE(m): 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria economy no dey inside ECONOMICS

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by PUSSYHOE(m): 12:15pm On Jun 26, 2023
So the float policy no work? Is like we need another kind of animal to come rule us and kill corruption. Nothing works

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ambale(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2023
This dollar issue no just get head, when them teach us different thing in school and practicing different things

Purchasing power is not increasing, exports not increasing and we say economy wan do well

Lets all be playing ooo

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by mariahAngel(f): 12:46pm On Jun 26, 2023
Buhari really did irreparable damage to the Nigerian economy.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by iwaeda: 5:41pm On Jun 26, 2023
mariahAngel:
Yet some mofos saw him as the best ever. Nlfpmod grin grin grin grin

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Brendaniel: 5:50pm On Jun 26, 2023
When you don't tackle problem from the root cause, this is what you get.

Tinubu is not tackling problems from the root cause because somehow he is part of the cause

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by mrvitalis(m): 5:54pm On Jun 26, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria economy no dey inside ECONOMICS
Na your president no sabi basic economics principles

Economics doesn't care about propaganda

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by mrvitalis(m): 5:56pm On Jun 26, 2023
mariahAngel:
What Buhari did is nothing compared to what tinubu is doing

If tinubu continue like this and supreme Court don't remove him... I can bet you in 4 years #2500 to a dollar would be a miracle

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Boyooosa(m): 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
Ah
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by obaidan: 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
Gj
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by NwaNimo1(m): 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
CBN should print some fake dollars to ease panic,

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by RingRoadMafia: 5:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
May this forex scarcity favour me and my family 🤡

72 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 5:59pm On Jun 26, 2023
Wonderful
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by oluwaseyi0: 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
So the float policy no work? Is like we need another kind of animal to come rule us and kill corruption. Nothing works

Our major problem is not corruption, our primary problem is that we are not producing much

Most of the ships that brings stuff to the country goes back empty-handed, curb all the corruption without physical goods and services to earn forex we will still go back to same level

we are very sentimental and mostly emotional people that's why opposition dangle corruption rather than lack of productivity and well all fall for it

9 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by tishbite42: 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2023
Agbadonomics on full display
The Fulanis and Yorubas will damage Nigeria beyond repair
grin grin

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Nahunger(m): 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2023
Y
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by onuman: 6:00pm On Jun 26, 2023
Daily, Naira has been in unprecedented rate of depreciation since June 2023.
Unarguably, it shall hit $1=N1000 before June runs out.
It's effect is unprecedented inflation in Nigeria.
It's effect is severe hunger and poverty for Nigerians.
An AGENCY to depopulate Nigeria 🇳🇬 is what APC has apparently become. Nigeria's voters rejected APC in 2019 and clearer, in 2023. But the party has adopted selection in place of election in Nigeria to stay ontop of the country.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Emilo(m): 6:01pm On Jun 26, 2023
Exactly my tots. They think they can wish changes without changing from consumption to production issue. And we all know who can achieve this. I think Nigerians are not ready for change yet.

ambale:
This dollar issue no just get head, when them teach us different thing in school and practicing different things

Purchasing power is not increasing, exports not increasing and we say economy wan do well

Lets all be playing ooo

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Toluwanise247(m): 6:01pm On Jun 26, 2023
Nothing works at the beginning, even when God create the heavens and the earth, earth was void .
Time is the factor

3 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by sportskid(m): 6:02pm On Jun 26, 2023
Oya Tinubunomics crew, make una answer ooooo

8 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by datola: 6:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
Why will it not be scarce when you import almost everything

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by iampeterben(m): 6:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
Nothing really significant we will keep our fines...
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ican2020: 6:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
No more floating of naira so that market forces can determine its value

Country with majority citizens who thinks with their anus instead of using their brains

How on earth will a consuming country like Nigeria even think of leaving its currency to market forces that’s is stupidity taken to level ten

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by sportskid(m): 6:03pm On Jun 26, 2023
mrvitalis:

What Buhari did is nothing compared to what tinubu is doing

If tinubu continue like this and supreme Court don't remove him... I can bet you in 4 years #2500 to a dollar would be a miracle

Don't mind them, we are watching the flop. But the Court will give us Justice by God's grace

10 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Risingblue008(m): 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
Dundi be 9ia president
Drug man 9ja president
Stacked illiterate 9ja president
Bunch of nonentity are 9ja law makers,
Our government are fools,

12 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by baralatie(m): 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
How is it not working?
If you do not have dollars,how do you intend to sell?
If you don't export to earn dollars .then how to get dollars for your imports?

4 Likes

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by wpadmin: 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
With time it will. The policy is barely a month.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Menclothing: 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
We import too much in this country tinubu should not allow banks to allow huge withdrawals this a consuming nation Nigerians import ordinary sweet

Or else free fall
Awaits Naira

Let’s ne productI’ve only solution to Naira if u like change Cbn gov or president weekly

1 Like

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Macmoni(m): 6:04pm On Jun 26, 2023
H

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Experience With Money Doublers / Tony Elumelu Joins In Nigeria/Senegal Jollof Rice Debate / Four Nigerian Firms Begin Local Production Of Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.