Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,241 members, 7,829,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention (22276 Views)

Banks Push Out Dirty, Mutilated Notes As New Naira Scarcity Persists / Naira To Trade At 386/$ As CBN Resumes Forex Sale To BDCs / Dollar Sells For N445 As Forex Scarcity Persists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:33am On Jun 27, 2023
baralatie:

If you don't have dollars .is that not shortage of supply?
If you have limited supply against unrestricted demand ,what will happen?
So I am asking you again.how is the floating of the dollars not working?

Floating is not working because it has failed to crash the rate as the idiots who implemented ignorantly expected.

Floating shouldn't be there in the first place.

The right policies should be those that will help increase the supply and not those that will float it and allow the already high forces of demand to destroy it.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:40am On Jun 27, 2023
sonnie10:

If the receiver would get the money at the same amount they got before the policy change, I don’t see why diasporas wouldn’t want to send.

The policy was encouraging many people to send more dollars back home so their relatives could get higher incentives.

I and my colleagues have been sending dollars every month to Nigeria since 2021 when it was put in place till this June, even when it wasn't necessary.

I don't think any of us will be doing that again, except for emergencies, which don't happen every month.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by tishbite42: 2:44am On Jun 27, 2023
Iyasaburi:

Igbos will do worse
Keep fooling yourself
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Gerrard59(m): 3:17am On Jun 27, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria economy no dey inside ECONOMICS

This is the summary. It defies rational thinking.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by Gerrard59(m): 3:37am On Jun 27, 2023
Reference:
A rising dollar or falling local currency in normal productive economies brings relief to a certain degree because it makes exports more competitive and imports more expensive and thus less competitive. So a moderately rising dollar is something we should not abhor. Rather we should ride the tempestuous waves or headwinds of more expensive imported goods and services and start looking inwards.

Nigerian universities should be doing some thanksgiving for the share of the billion dollar offshore education industry because it costs a lot more to get a foreign education these days and a lot of folks are likely to cut short their studies abroad in the coming years for this reason.

Nigerian hospitals and medical professionals should be doing a jig and licking their lips in expectation of a share of the medical tourism pie.

And even our local religious camps and grounds should find solace when it costs a lot more to go on pilgrimage to the Middle east and Europe.

I cannot see any downsides here.
We either reform or go bust.
And this is where government should step up and act responsibly.
It should look at critical commodities, products and services we patronize out of an abundance of need and ACTIVELY promote their development and production here by either dragging foreigners kicking and screaming to invest here or by cultivating a new series of Dangotes, men and women of enterprise to do the business.

Honestly, the devaluation of the naira is great for exporters of products from Nigeria as it makes ours competitively priced in the international market. Electricity should be solved, ease of exporting made possible etc. As it is, anyone doing business in Nigeria should focus on an export-driven sector.

The way I see it, Nigerians want to be importing when they don't have the money to pay for imports.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by MonogramMaster(m): 5:07am On Jun 27, 2023
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by kvin33: 5:20am On Jun 27, 2023
Emefiele, Emefiele....IGBO HATE das all. They thought it was easy heheheeee...Emefiele was patching the mess dat was APC government. In their Igbo hate filled blindness they decided Emefiele was the problem. Floating the currency cannot go alone. You can't have the east sitting at home on Mondays ...but hatred will not allow una. You can't go around destroying markets...but hatred will not allow una. You NEED ALL ECONOMIC CENTERS NORTH, SOUTH EAST,WEST RUNNING AT 200% just to slow the slide, instead elected officials, those who "won" are busy settling scores. In 6 months, the stoning will go beyond blasphemers and elected officials will begin collect -they can keep giving themselves 114% salary increases.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by sonnie10: 5:57am On Jun 27, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

The policy was encouraging many people to send more dollars back home so their relatives could get higher incentives.

I and my colleagues have been sending dollars every month to Nigeria since 2021 when it was put in place till this June, even when it wasn't necessary.

I don't think any of us will be doing that again, except for emergencies, which don't happen every month.
It makes no difference. Then if you send $100 , the receivers gets it and changes at abk for 7300 (naira) . Now if you send the same amount, the receiver goes to the bank or abk and gets 7500 (naira).
So it makes no difference.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by RevenuesBoost(f): 6:37am On Jun 27, 2023
👍
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by mrvitalis(m): 6:49am On Jun 27, 2023
senatordave1:

Tinubu better pass obi
Result done they show na
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:10am On Jun 27, 2023
sonnie10:

It makes no difference. Then if you send $100 , the receivers gets it and changes at abk for 7300 (naira) . Now if you send the same amount, the receiver goes to the bank or abk and gets 7500 (naira).
So it makes no difference.

How did you arrive at this?
It's not true

See how it works:
There's 5 naira incentive for every $1 you send to Nigeria. So, if you send $5000, your relative in Nigeria withdraws the $5000 from the bank, gets a total incentive of 5x5000 =25,000naira.

He then proceeds to the black market to sell the $5000 at the prevailing rate which hasn't been lower than 750, except in early 2021.

As a result of this free 25k he receives, he encourages you to send more and you comply, just to ensure he gets more free money and stop disturbing you/stealing from your project money.

This is what i and many others have been doing since February 2021 when the policy was initiated, and i'm very sure it helped to increase the inflow into the country significantly.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by sonnie10: 7:49am On Jun 27, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

How did you arrive at this?
It's not true

See how it works:
There's 5 naira incentive for every $1 you send to Nigeria. So, if you send $5000, your relative in Nigeria withdraws the $5000 from the bank, gets a total incentive of 5x5000 =25,000naira.

He then proceeds to the black market to sell the $5000 at the prevailing rate which hasn't been lower than 750, except in early 2021.

As a result of this free 25k he receives, he encourages you to send more and you comply, just to ensure he gets more free money and stop disturbing you/stealing from your project money.

This is what i and many others have been doing since February 2021 when the policy was initiated, and i'm very sure it helped to increase the inflow into the country significantly.
Oga, the whole of this year, dollars has never been more than 750 from abk.
You did not tell us how much you would receive as at today if you send $5000?
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by ArewaNorth: 10:25am On Jun 27, 2023
mariahAngel:
Buhari really did irreparable damage to the Nigerian economy.
So Buhari is still in charge of Nigeria?
With all these policies and economic challenges there is no foreseeable stability in FX market we are just predicting with optimism that things will be okey.
There are many indices beyond being President that pushed us into this mess and the solution to the problems may not even be seen well by the solver of the problem.
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by baralatie(m): 10:36am On Jun 27, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Floating is not working because[b] it has failed to crash the rate [/b] as the idiots who implemented ignorantly expected.

Floating shouldn't be there in the first place.

The right policies should be those that will help increase the supply and not those that will float it and allow the already high forces of demand to destroy it.

How do you crash the dollar rate when you supply is limited
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by baralatie(m): 10:44am On Jun 27, 2023
masseratti:
in a way.. A very good way.. It will.. Dollar cash on the street will never stop for hoarders.. If its transfers, they have no reason to hoard, it will be left strictly for genuine business transaction, the pressure on the dollar will go down, if we continue to have this useless currency traders in the street.. Our currency will never be stable, have you seen any black market in a stable develop country?
Ours is even worse, what goes up hardly comes down. The restrictions should stay, but it should be very easy to transfer dollar, simple.
E transfers will not stop hoarding.
It is who decides to sell his e stock that will get into the supply chain.
So etransfer does not restrict the supply and demand of the market.it only makes it easier to track
Re: Forex Scarcity Persists As CBN Resumes Intervention by FalseProphet1(m): 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

Onye amuma, when again did you say we're getting back our mandate, because I'm beginning to doubt your amuma?
Very soon my love... very soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nkataa Ends The Year In Style As They‎ celebrate Their Achievements "‎ / My Experience With Money Doublers / Naira Watch: Naira Appreciates To N420/$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.