Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? (24080 Views)

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by chukkystar(m): 5:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
Karleb:
Give them something else in place of what they want.

This is what I mean. If they want you to help them ask for a promotion they don't deserve for instance, don't just tell them they don't qualify. Point them to materials they need to level up and tell them you owe them a solid recommendation if they see it through.

But if you try to use the brute force approach, they will come for your ass. This is what feminism will not teach you. grin
agreed, people will always fight what they are afraid of so being Autocratic and using Force will never be as effective as Dialogue
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by MDelgado(m): 5:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
You are on the write track but your emotive beliefs betray you, Stay your fucking ground..it's that simple..

siofra:
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

I feel like I won't be able to stand my ground any longer.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by coputa(m): 5:32pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

Set a standard and reward only the hardworking one's,let them know this.endeavour to ignore or kick out the mediocres.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Karleb(m): 5:37pm On Jun 26, 2023
chukkystar:
agreed, people will always fight what they are afraid of so being Autocratic and using Force will never be as effective as Dialogue

Honestly bros. That's why I hate how law and order is presented to us.

They say if you sin, you get punishment but a little dive into our history as humans will show that you don't punish all sinners and you don't reward all righteous. Life isn't black and white.

This is where emotional intelligent becomes an asset but these feminist are blind to this.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by abobote: 5:42pm On Jun 26, 2023
So this bitter girl creates reasonable thread at times.

That is why you are not yet married, coz you don't like helping your village people. You don't know that your village people can recommend you for someone to marry
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by lawrenzooo: 5:43pm On Jun 26, 2023
SmartPolician:
You didn't clarify what you meant, but I will explain it in the context of employment...

If you see someone from your village who is suitable for a job, madam, consider the person first. That's how people build a strong network. Referrals are given preferential treatment everywhere in the world.

However, why Nigeria's case tends to differ is that we tend to throw competence and suitability out of the window. Later, the organization/customers pay the heavy price. But then, it's also good to create some sort of balance in the workplace.

Exactly!!! This is what the hausa's are good at. Bring a Hausa man to head an organization and within 6 months you can be very sure you would find 5 hausa people there. They would employ the ones which SSCE as cleaners, then the ones with B.Sc would be given reasonable position and the circle goes on. Now you understand why you hardly see a government establishment without a Hausa person, they network very well.

If your tribe men/women are competent consider them first, if your friends are competent consider then first as well, the heavens wouldn't fall.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2023
FOOTSOLDIER2:
I hate Lord Lugard
for gawd sake he died 78 years ago at the ripe old age of 87!

Even though you believe that he did rubbish while in charge, but can't the present leaders currently in charge undo the rubbish?
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Komu1048(m): 5:55pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

It won't make sense to you now but it's when u av retire that u will look back n c u were never there for your people. If it's government agency or international company, u will discover others r doing it n when u leave the system u discover u left with no honour. Even Linkedin will tell you 85% of jobs are gotten through referals
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Franky9584(m): 6:05pm On Jun 26, 2023
Na so we see am in this part of the world.
Where I am in Zimbabwe (Lols), u can't try such
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by phemmyfour: 6:11pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

It won't stop, treat all of them as co workers and mind your biz. You're there to work and earn your pay, no unnecessary familiarity
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by LOVEGINO(m): 6:13pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

u ve a very long way to rant. As for me I go fix my pipu if I get d opportunity.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Abolodje: 6:16pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

Quit your job baby
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by bummyla(m): 6:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
Those of you who love Asari Dokubo who would like to give him a phone call, here is his phone number.

Send him some kisses

Asari Dokubo
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by sirblend: 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

You should have stated if were you work is a Government or private firm..
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by kunle75(m): 6:44pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

Please stand your ground ,your credibility will speak for you in the near future
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Maysdevices(f): 6:47pm On Jun 26, 2023
FOOTSOLDIER2:
I hate Lord Lugard
Wish I could lay my hands on him
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Maysdevices(f): 6:49pm On Jun 26, 2023
You look like a really pretty preying mantis.

Nice face structure.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by siofra(f): 6:49pm On Jun 26, 2023
FalseProphet1:
If your village people say you should help them, help them na, or don't you know what village people are capable of, is when they start attacking you before you change. Even if they're not qualified for the job, as long as they're from your village, give it to them. It's called wisdom.

This I have seen.

It's not about giving them a job. It's about following due process.

By giving them what they want, I'll be betraying my boss. I take loyalty very seriously.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by ChuksHills(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

If it is in your power to help them and they requested for It help them, there is not wrong with that. Like they said charity begins at home.

If you don't help your people now that it is in power to help, who will. One day you will retire from that job and return back home, how will you face them if you didn't impact on there life when you were in the position to do so.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by siofra(f): 6:58pm On Jun 26, 2023
Germi9:
Very wicked girl
Wants to throw away the ladder she used in climbing abi she fall from up?

I worked very very hard to be in the position I am today. I wasn't seeking for favors or demanding preferential treatment. All those days I went hungry, all those days I cried frustrated and the days I didn't have the energy to wake up and face the day. Everyone around me thought I was wasting my time. They still think I am because I'm not even paid here regularly. But I know the experience I'm gaining at the place I'm working is priceless.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by okoroemeka(m): 7:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

Be firm but fair
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by frozen70(f): 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

I think for the sake of your future career, if you can't bend rules, just take a posting to another unit or center

When they will set you up or plan for your removal, you won't be there

So it's either you mellow down and play along

Or you step aside let the person that will do their bidding dance to their tune
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Stoicful(m): 8:25pm On Jun 26, 2023
I want your digit, I would love to connect with you
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Pat4t5: 8:36pm On Jun 26, 2023
From your point of view, you are likely an Igbo guy. Igbo people are mostly foolish.like you. Others go dey do nepotism when Igbo man get opportunity na then he go remember say we need to do the right thing. His mates go dey connect their tribe people, mumu Igbo man go dey talk foolishly like you that nepotism is wrong. Awolowo was giving his Yoruba people free education, the foolish Zik dey mumu dey do Zik of Africa. In today history, Awolowo and his likes are placed above Zik that was more national leader than tribal bigot. Igbo people try to get sense. Dey their dey shout nepotism is bad while others dey fix their tribe men for positions

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by DrDunamis(m): 8:57pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

Haven't you heard that the sons of this world seem to be wiser than those of the kingdom. Play the game with them
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by ogwuche4u(m): 9:08pm On Jun 26, 2023
siofra:

learn from buhari... help your people, give them the chance. Tinubu is doing same already and you are here trying to play saint. Go to almost MDAs, 70 to 85% are northerners. The worst is EFCC. Remember when you fall, it is family you run to. Be wise
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by SUNNINO(m): 9:29pm On Jun 26, 2023
I pity,if churches dey tribalism who you be then?Redeem church,Winners chapel and Deeper life are into full time. You be from south south or south east, aboki and Yorubas no send na their way. Help your people if can.
siofra:

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by carlos1(m): 9:30pm On Jun 26, 2023
i suspect this is Ngwa people in ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by TheMostComplex1: 9:41pm On Jun 26, 2023
I can relate office gang up can kill one's spirit but you need to keep your head straight & continue to do what is right.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by emmnprince(m): 9:53pm On Jun 26, 2023
FalseProphet1:
If your village people say you should help them, help them na, or don't you know what village people are capable of, is when they start attacking you before you change. Even if they're not qualified for the job, as long as they're from your village, give it to them. It's called wisdom.

This I have seen.

Even though the village people aren't qualified for the job or competent FalseManProphet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Week In The Life Of A Female Cab Driver / Why People Who Earn Less Than You Achieve More Than You / ICAN November 2019 Diet (skills Level) Lets Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.