Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,402 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? (24067 Views)

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Lilimax(f): 11:24pm On Jun 26, 2023
Tribalism is full blown in Lagos State and it doesn't speak well of us.
Even in the public facilities, tribalism is now the order of the day.. I have a Doctor Friend in Public Hospital in Lagos that works in the family medicine dept. He was just telling me how he observe these nurses in the hospital playing out their tribalism on people that are not their tribes based on their names.
These people cards will be placed at the back back whereas the cards of their tribal people will be brought forward so that they will be attended to fast.
The Doctor told me that whenever he comes, he will start attending from the cards behind knowing what the evil nurses have done on the non Indigene's card.
Often times it is Igbos, Calabar and some Edo people that are always victims.

My Doctor Friend is Igbo and he said that if this is not nipped in the bud early it may spell doom to this reputable public hospital?
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by ojmetrix(m): 11:47pm On Jun 26, 2023
FOOTSOLDIER2:
I hate Lord Lugard
W

H
Y
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by broadman20: 3:45am On Jun 27, 2023
siofra:
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

I feel like I won't be able to stand my ground any longer.

You are not from the south west I guess.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Myer(m): 3:54am On Jun 27, 2023
siofra:

I worked very very hard to be in the position I am today. I wasn't seeking for favors or demanding preferential treatment. All those days I went hungry, all those days I cried frustrated and the days I didn't have the energy to wake up and face the day. Everyone around me thought I was wasting my time. They still think I am because I'm not even paid here regularly. But I know the experience I'm gaining at the place I'm working is priceless.

Do not compromise but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Do you work in HR?
Have you shared this situation with your management/boss to know his thoughts?

Management's expectstion is key to your decision-making.
And please to stand for justice/rightness anywhere requires a prayerful person. So please be strong in the Lord Jesus Christ and the Power of His Might

God bless you for doing right. Nigeria needs more of you.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by hssd8nland: 4:54am On Jun 27, 2023
siofra:
I understand this is Nigeria where people are crazy about connections. People think that because you're from their village, you're supposed to give them a free pass. They won't go through the normal process, and when you refuse, they start to hate you and spread rumours about you.

It is happening to me at the place I work. It's becoming too much because I won't budge. Sometimes I feel like crying. How do I get around this? Why won't people just do things the right way I've never expected anything from anyone because they are from my village or because I know them.

The honest truth you need to maintain a balance. I’ve been there hold on to your principles and know when to help.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Ajilityy: 5:49am On Jun 27, 2023
If you have a means of helping people from from clan please do. There is nothing like due process in the country, stop making those people regret having you as their own. Don't forget that our house of rep speaker has 33 aids...
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by africandollar: 7:34am On Jun 27, 2023
FalseProphet1:
If your village people say you should help them, help them na, or don't you know what village people are capable of, is when they start attacking you before you change. Even if they're not qualified for the job, as long as they're from your village, give it to them. It's called wisdom.

This I have seen.

Hear! hear! grin
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Quodseverismete: 7:50am On Jun 27, 2023
Madam you supposed learn from Buhari na, a perfect model of crannism. When you retire you are going home to meet them, then they will ask you how far.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by drnoel: 8:04am On Jun 27, 2023
siofra:

You need to go in some details so we understand better what you are talking about.
Then again, stand your ground and don't compromise doesn't mean you can't be nice and understanding. A difficult combination but it's doable.
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Incrediblekutty(m): 12:49pm On Jun 27, 2023
siofra:

This is why Hausa/Fulani have upper hands in all Federal agencies... Dey there dey yarn nonsense dust
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by FREDCLSSICO7(m): 5:02pm On Jun 29, 2023
Buddha3:
So Siofra get job?

And she basically sleeps on nairaland having migraines over issues concerning men?!

When you think you've seen it all, something must happen in Nigeria to shock you to your roots.

Forget nepotism, try and help Jennyclay get a job. That way, she'll at least find some semblance of use for herself and time.

lol jennyclay that one fit work? na clitocurrency she dey trade na "money for hand, back for ground". she dun take hoelowshow and hookup as full time job
Re: How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? by Kobicove(m): 10:22pm On Aug 29, 2023
Lilimax:
Tribalism is full blown in Lagos State and it doesn't speak well of us.
Even in the public facilities, tribalism is now the order of the day.. I have a Doctor Friend in Public Hospital in Lagos that works in the family medicine dept. He was just telling me how he observe these nurses in the hospital playing out their tribalism on people that are not their tribes based on their names.
These people cards will be placed at the back back whereas the cards of their tribal people will be brought forward so that they will be attended to fast.
The Doctor told me that whenever he comes, he will start attending from the cards behind knowing what the evil nurses have done on the non Indigene's card.
Often times it is Igbos, Calabar and some Edo people that are always victims.

My Doctor Friend is Igbo and he said that if this is not nipped in the bud early it may spell doom to this reputable public hospital?

There is tribalism in all states in Nigeria not just Lagos alone!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Week In The Life Of A Female Cab Driver / Why People Who Earn Less Than You Achieve More Than You / ICAN November 2019 Diet (skills Level) Lets Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.